PDA

View Full Version : Curious

Ochiocho
02-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Hello fellow Rog's,

I had a general question I like to put out there to get some feed back from everyone. I was wondering what do you folks happen to install after you have everything up and running after clean install and updated drivers and such. Trying to get some ideas. Things that you yourself can't seem to live without. Maybe we can compile a list for others to help them.
So I will start off....

I like to get an unzip program. (7zip or winrar)
I also either download Firefox or Chrome for web browsing.

Just throwing out ideas to get this started. I am really curious what you download/install either for personal reasons or even programs you install to monitor performance or even tweak your systems.

Thanks in advance!

houndazs
02-22-2012, 06:47 PM
http://Ninite.com

Chrome, 7zip, Microsoft Security Essentials, Java, Flash, uTorrent, Spybot Search & Destroy, VLC, Team Viewer

Then:
Ccleaner, Defraggler, Speccy, TCP Optimizer, RAMDisk, Daemon Tools Lite

vudugan
02-22-2012, 06:48 PM
I'll play :o)

Power ISO
Ccleaner
Malwarebytes
Chrome
Winrar
Microsoft Security Essentials

ultima60173
02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
I just reinstalled my g53 yesterday and these were the free apps I installed.

vlc media player, open office, chrome,

Granger
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Avast
TeamViewer
Firefox
Steam (and my games)
HWMonitor
CPUZ
VLC
Windows Live
OpenOffice
Spybot
RocketDock

Then all the other stuff after creating an image of my disk.

Ochiocho
02-22-2012, 07:40 PM
VLC player- that's the one I was looking for. (I know this would be helpful)

BrodyBoy
02-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I just install my preferred user programs, for the way I use my computers. I would assume that's different for everybody. The only "universal" installation is Windows and the suite of essential drivers.

Ochiocho
02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
@Brody,

Oh I understand. I was asking just for that. What you feel is important to you to download. Beyond essentials.

- I tried the CCleaner. Is it common to have to run the registry cleaner multiple times? I ran it three times. On the third pass everything seemed to be cleaned up.

houndazs
02-22-2012, 08:15 PM
- I tried the CCleaner. Is it common to have to run the registry cleaner multiple times? I ran it three times. On the third pass everything seemed to be cleaned up.
This is completly normal.

BrodyBoy
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
After a clean install, I've never felt I needed to clean up anything. I do turn off some Windows features that I don't use, but since I haven't installed & uninstalled drivers/programs I don't want, there's no problematic garbage in the registry.

houndazs
02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
After a clean install, I've never felt I needed to clean up anything. I do turn off some Windows features that I don't use, but since I haven't installed & uninstalled drivers/programs I don't want, there's no problematic garbage in the registry.

you would be suprised. cleaning and optimizing your registry with programs like Ccleaner, help with boot and shutdown times as well. Next time you install windows, and all the updates, before anything else run Ccleaner. you will be very supprised....

BrodyBoy
02-22-2012, 08:32 PM
you would be suprised. cleaning and optimizing your registry with programs like Ccleaner, help with boot and shutdown times as well. Next time you install windows, and all the updates, before anything else run Ccleaner. you will be very supprised....
I have done that before, out of curiosity. I didn't find it useful, which is why I don't do it routinely. But hey...to each his own.

sunninho
02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
My first post :)

After a fresh install, here's my list (before installing MS Office, Visual Studio and Adobe Creative Suite):

Windows Update (all critical and optional, except language packs)
Chrome
Avira Free or Avast Free for Antivirus
Adobe Reader
WinRar
RocketDock
K-Lite Codec Mega Pack and 64-Bit Pack
VLC Player
Virtual CloneDrive (for mounting ISOs)
Greenshot (for screen capturing)
EasyBCD and iReboot (from NeoSmart if I'm dual-booting with Linux)

fostert
02-23-2012, 01:57 AM
I was wondering what do you folks happen to install after you have everything up and running after clean install and updated drivers and such.

Linux... ;)

Doan
02-23-2012, 02:53 AM
General software anyone could find useful (in order of installation):
Windows Updates until it won't update any more
Anti-virus (I use Kaspersky)
Chrome
7-zip
Winamp
VLC

Software I use for specific tasks (in any order):
GIMP
mIRC
Ventrilo
Ventrilo Server
Daemon Tools Lite
Windows Live Messenger
The Weather Channel App (display current temperature in system tray)
TVersity (stream movies, pictures, music from my PC to PS3, phone, TV, other PCs, etc)
aWARemote Server (Control Winamp on my PC via aWARemote WiFi app on my phone (Android))
RealTemp (CPU & GPU temperatures in system tray, and alarm if either goes over a specified value)

and then there's software I install on an "as-needed" basis:
DivX & ffdshow codecs, Flash, Java, Acrobat Reader, etc.

mr2lizard
02-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Must haves:

winrar
Imgburn
Vlc
Objectdock
Winamp
Daemon tools
Firefox

WaffleBoy
02-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Here the best:

AVG 2012
3DMark11
Microsoft Office 2010
TuneUp Utilities 2012
Daemon Tools Pro
ThrottleStop
Chrome
MSI Afterburner
CCleaner
Winrar

AQUASTEVAE
02-23-2012, 07:08 PM
once a fresh load of win 7 ult x64 is completed, i get rid of any windows apps that i don't want to use, like ie. I also go to services, and disable every service that i don't want running. then, of course, i load all important drivers needed. then the first app i add is acronis, so that i can make an image of the barebones os. then its time to really make it all my own. so i put the taskbar on the top, make it a little bit bigger and hide it. i then add two toolbars to it, computer and desktop. then i hide all icons on the desktop, to have a clean desktop.
next i add object dock, which is much better than rocket dock. i put a full app dock (33 apps) on the bottom of the screen, and a maintenance dock (20 apps) on the right side of the screen. i put them in ghost mode, and hide both docks so that they aren't seen unless i move my mouse to the very edge of the screen. next is avast pro security suite. then:
office 2010 x64
virtual clone drive
damn nfo viewer
winrar 4
winamp pro
soluto
utorrent
finestra virtual desktops
firefox 9, chrome
malwarebytes
speedfan
acdsee pro 4
lightroom x64
photoshop cs5.5
winbubbles
revo uninstaller pro
ssd life pro
hw info 64

finally, i am a professional photographer, so i put a sizable database of my photos in the windows, web folder, and set my desktop to it. then i have it cycle every 30 seconds so i have a fresh desktop to look at all the time. the cool thing about finestra is that i can set up ten different virtual desktops, and they all cycle the backgrounds, just like the original. besides the content that is on it, you can't tell which desktop you are on, other than the indicator when you transfer. i love it.