PDA

View Full Version : Mod Contest Suggestion Thread

DarthBeavis
02-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Guys and gals, what would you like to see in a mod contest?

Granger
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
My next (and first) mod win ;)

xeromist
02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
grottslampan recently posted a picture of a derelict PC found in his local classifieds. I think it'd be neat to have a zero-to-hero contest to take an unloved PC and make it into something useful and spectacular (before & after pics obligatory). I'm just not sure how to ensure that it's "fair".

DaemonCantor
02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
I'd like to see people go back to the basics like it was 5 to 10 years ago when it was all about creating the parts and everything to make a work of art from nothing.

xeromist
02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd like to see people go back to the basics like it was 5 to 10 years ago when it was all about creating the parts and everything to make a work of art from nothing.

I'm not sure what you mean but if you're saying that you'd like to see work that requires innovation and power tools then I can get behind that. :)

DaemonCantor
02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Exactly! You know from when they had to make the Water Blocks themselves and use things like an Aquarium Pump... The day's of real innovation!

Granger
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Right, whos going to be the first to use the radiator and 12v fan from their car for a cooling system?

xeromist
02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Exactly! You know from when they had to make the Water Blocks themselves and use things like an Aquarium Pump... The day's of real innovation!

Well, not everyone has the tools and skill to mill their own blocks. I certainly don't. But I get what you're saying: mod without using off the shelf parts. Having that as a strict rule might limit what could be done in a contest but perhaps extra points for home brew additions?

DaemonCantor
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Yep! I remember the days when I needed to do something and had to make it myself. It gave me real pride that I could do it and I learned a hell of a lot by doing.

DarthBeavis
02-23-2012, 03:51 AM
maybe different classes of modding or types like case fabrication verses case modding?

Cody_Irwin
02-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I would like to see NO Mod contest.

You really dont want to get me going on this one.

Sadly I feel this way.

+1 to this if there was a mod contest.

All these "case modders" will just contact sponsors they get THOUSANDS of dollars of stuff for free Weekly to monthly and just Bearly do anything.

Show it off at a Few Events, and thats all.

Win stuff, get stuff, bearly do stuff.

Really...Dont get me going guys...

I use the products what they are for, and nothing else.

I am a Enthusiast Gamer Im pro and bad at games but even so I use what I need and how I want it, If I dont like the look, Id buy something else instead, simple as that.

I dont like Editing the models of things, Why else do companies spend money on designers for the products? I like things how they are sent out, and im pretty sure the manufacturers think the same thing.

xeromist
02-23-2012, 09:03 PM
All these "case modders" will just contact sponsors they get THOUSANDS of dollars of stuff for free Weekly to monthly and just Bearly do anything.

Show it off at a Few Events, and thats all.

Win stuff, get stuff, bearly do stuff.

Well, your perception is a bit off here. I know and have talked extensively with some of the most successful members in the modding community (meaning the ones who get sponsorships regularly) and it's not all parties and free product. I'd say that Darth Beavis has been one of the most successful in terms of developing contacts and being able to call for product on demand but even he spends more of his own money on modding in one month than most of us spend on all our PC parts for an entire year. Part of that is due to the fact that not all product is sponsored for all builds which means that anything missing comes out of the modder's pocket. And the rest comes from the fact that doing mods at that level requires custom work that you can't just buy off of a shelf. The raw materials and tools to shape them to your will are expensive on their own. It has come to a point where he is in semi-retirement partly because modding is so fricken expensive to keep up even when you are sponsored.

But regardless of what the big names in modding can or can't do, that's why DB created this thread. He's asking us to come up with what we'd like to see and if that means no sponsored mods and we all agree on it, that's what we'll do.

DarthBeavis
02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I left this open-ended for reason ;) if you would like to see it be a super clean and awesome build using only off the shelf products then say so. I am receptive to that as well.

DaemonCantor
02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Darth I've seen a few of your mod's over the years including the ones you took to some of the PDXLan events. I can't remember ever that you were lacking for Ideas...:rolleyes: but I'm sure you remember the good o'l days of modding. That's what I was trying to accomplish with the mod I was doing here on the forums and what I personally like to see more of with today's hardware. I think you get the picture there. The old stuff had more class and sparkle that a lot of what's just thrown together today and called a mod!

tadhp
02-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Go back 10 years ago, casemod is so simple, so creative, so much pride
Now with all the high tech stuff, more expensive mods will win. :D

xeromist
02-24-2012, 01:10 AM
Go back 10 years ago, casemod is so simple, so creative, so much pride
Now with all the high tech stuff, more expensive mods will win. :D

Then let's make a contest where creativity is rewarded over expense. What rules do you think would help to achieve that?

Cody_Irwin
02-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Yes guys I know, Im just really sick of case moding lately... Theres no love for gamers anymore, As I said this is a personal Opinion I dont hate all, just most.

If there was a case modding compitition make it from all scratch based on non shelf products.

xeromist
02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Theres no love for gamers anymore

Well, I don't think this is the case at all based on my own experience but perhaps your experiences or expectations are different than mine. I'd be interested to hear your reasons why you say that. Are we talking about love from media? Love from industry? Love in the form of recognition? Please start a thread and lay it all out. I promise I'll read it and give a thoughtful response. We're almost all gamers here so it could be an interesting topic.

tadhp
02-24-2012, 02:27 AM
If there was a case modding compitition make it from all scratch based on non shelf products.

Then there aren't many people with the good hand skill, or have a lot of time to finish the project on time.
But I like the idea, base on the pride of the work project.

@ xer0: I'm not sure if there will need a lots of rules, how about rules just base on each kind of competition ??? ..... Does it sound too complicate ???

Cody_Irwin
02-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Well, I don't think this is the case at all based on my own experience but perhaps your experiences or expectations are different than mine. I'd be interested to hear your reasons why you say that. Are we talking about love from media? Love from industry? Love in the form of recognition? Please start a thread and lay it all out. I promise I'll read it and give a thoughtful response. We're almost all gamers here so it could be an interesting topic.

Im talking about companies who sponsor Xeromist, they only want to sponsor modders, instead of some gamers who actually use the product what it is for.

I should pm you my NZXT Experience you will have a whole new view on them.

jj_Sky5000
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I would like to see a contest go either way, full scatch build or casemod, I enjoy both. Being sponsored isnt a bad thing, I am able to put more money into the mod, I have always treid to give back to teh sponsor by talking about ther eproducts at lans also having the work logs viewed by several thousands viewers help. Also I still use my dremal, drill and scroll saw. No fancy tools here.

Granger
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
It could be quite easy.
A system of points:
Good use and harmony of off the shelf products.
Homemade parts.
Home modified parts.
Quality of the mod.
Quality of the wiring.
Quality of the finish.
Paintwork.

Probably other things to add to that list.

But one thing to leave out in the points section would be the composents. Because not everybody can afford to buy the latest CPU/Motherboard/Graphics Card/PSU etc....

DarthBeavis
02-28-2012, 03:47 AM
It could be quite easy.
A system of points:
Good use and harmony of off the shelf products.
Homemade parts.
Home modified parts.
Quality of the mod.
Quality of the wiring.
Quality of the finish.
Paintwork.

Probably other things to add to that list.

But one thing to leave out in the points section would be the composents. Because not everybody can afford to buy the latest CPU/Motherboard/Graphics Card/PSU etc....

do you think it is reasonable to at least expect the components to be able to play modern games?

Loud & Fast
02-28-2012, 05:11 AM
I just read this und think about car tuning contests. There are different categorys to win like best paintjob, most HP, most Hifi db, best interieur, best exterieur, best car of a brand and simply best car of all. Maybe this will help.

xeromist
02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
do you think it is reasonable to at least expect the components to be able to play modern games?

Not necessarily. I've seen some HTPC mods that wouldn't play games very well but still have a purpose in modern geek households. The degree of difficulty, attention to detail, creativity...I think those transcend performance. Unless there's a specific reason to exclude certain hardware I think it's more interesting to leave it open. Granted, it might make judging harder if the entries are widely varied in application. :D

Granger
02-28-2012, 08:46 PM

I think that the most important thing is that computer does what its owner needs it to do, for an example, my main PC (which I am moding bit by bit) will play all the latest games (which is what I want it to do)
My old rig, is capable of running a lag free MW3 server, is doing what I want it to do.

You could have some one who just wants to surf the web and watch youtube on their PC, but they might want it to look like R2D2 at the same time.

I think where mods are concerned, its the visual outcome that counts more than whats inside.

chrsplmr
02-28-2012, 11:46 PM
I know .. how bout .. we take an Xpander and soder the recievers on the back of
a CrossHair V .. and split ...i dont know maybe some coolerMaster case ...

what ? thats old news ? hahahhaa ... oh.

Maybe we can do a 'team' thing .. in pieces .. with one of the 'masters'
doing final assembly ...
or teams ?
masters?
ut oh... do i smell ROGness ... Global ? oboy..

MarshallR ... if you thought judg'n wallpaper was a treat ... hahahhaa

i dont care .. i just want to go to the clam bake afterParty...ahhahahaa ..
SimulClam ... yum.c.

Giannis996
04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
i would like to see good cable managment and minimalistic style!

tadhp
04-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Look into this site then determine what will be your style
Or
Make your own style, stand-out from the rest

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

Zka17
04-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I think, to have a mod contest is a good idea. It could help the entire ROG community to a higher level - not only by participating but just by watching too. It would be a great inspiration for all of us!

However, if you are calling it "contest", it has to be fair! Comparing the works of amateurs with those of pros would rather create frustrations and disappointment. Creating different categories, different levels for the contest would be a nice way to satisfy everybody.

First of all, modding and scratch building must be completely separated, the work invested in them is very different. Also, when we are talking about modding, we can realize that it has different levels. Removing a hard drive cage from a default factory setting is already modifying the case, as well as cutting a side panel window or adding additional panels to the build.

So, my suggestion is to make at least 4 categories for modding (scratch building could be the 5th category):
1. basic (removing/changing case components like drive bay cages or case feet),
2. moderate (do some cutting or minimal paint work),
3. advanced (serious modifications: redesign existing components of the case or design completely new ones) and
4. pro (all of those modifications made by people whom make a living from this)

I am not sure, if the 5th, scratch building category needs further divisions. Who can make such things, those are the real pros!

I saw that were discussions about the components too. Well, I think the only restriction here should be that the build have to be functional - and, maybe, has to contain Asus ROG parts (since this is a ROG forum). Taking in consideration the level of the parts (whether they are the newest or older) would exclude the individual inputs of the builders and would make this contest restricted to the money question- anyway, the the big companies have their own contest on who is making the best parts.

frisianbear2002
04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Look into this site then determine what will be your style
Or
Make your own style, stand-out from the rest

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

Wow if you have the time, equipment and skills ofcourse to make what i see on some of those builds then you earn deep respect:cool:

tadhp
04-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Wow if you have the time, equipment and skills ofcourse to make what i see on some of those builds then you earn deep respect:cool:

Agreed and don't forget that these mods containing order parts . With a right amount of the Green, some one here could archive that level of exellence too.

Look on the comlexity side, how to do it, planning is a must + purpose + functions .....

Original of your mods also earn you a deep respect too