PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Lag & 3D question

balrog
02-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Hello,
G74SX-RH71, its about 8 days old and I am not happy at all with this keyboard lag issue. Seems i am not the only one. It came stock with the 203 bios and the .08 ATK files and the 1.0.0.3 Keyboard Filter files. As per Chastity's request I have uninstalled the .08 ATK application and rebooted, installed .10 ATK package and rebooted and still have the same keyboard lag issue. Mostly with the keys i, o, m, and left-shift. When i press the i key, either i get an i or nothing, when i press it again, i can get 2 i's, for example. It's as if the i key press is registered and stored, but not actuated until the key is pressed again. So when i type "this" its ths, then i backspace the s off and press i, but i will get 2 i's, thiis. Same goes with many keys, but i, o, m predominantly. The store I bought it from doesnt have any more stock to give me for a new one. Asus support reps tell me to restore it to factory new (doesnt help) the problem was there factory new anyhow. The idea of sending my new toy away for a few weeks sounds depressing.

Anyone else have some new info on this problem that could chime in and lend some advice?

2nd smaller question is: Does this RH71 laptop have 3D capabilities? Should I go out and buy the special glasses just to see if it does, or perhaps you all can tell me before I waste (or invest) this money on some nice glasses? Also, what kind of 3D glasses should I buy?

Thanks so much in advance
John

PILGRIM
02-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Hi. Try updating ATK Package to 1.0.0014 version found here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100014.zip
Make it sure to uninstall first the older ATK Package and clean thoroughly remaining
Registry files (use CCleaner). Reboot. Install ATK Package 1.0.0014. Reboot.
Go to Control Panel > Mouse > Finger Sensing Pad
Configure Sentelic TP according to your preference.

AFAIK, the GH71 doesn't have built-in 3D display. But you may use laptop for 3D viewing by
connecting a 3D ready external monitor via HDMI. It's preferred to use nVidia 3D Vision Kit (glasses).

EDIT: You may update your TP to Sentelic Touchpad 9.1.7.7 (if it's what you use)
here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177.zip
To check Sentelic TP version: (go to) Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices >
(right-click) Finger Sensing Pad > Properties > Driver

balrog
02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Thank you, I will try these things straight away.

Wish me luck

balrog
02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Alright, I have updated to the 14 suffix ATK package and I notice less of the laggy keyboard strikes, but I still notice them. But less, so there is an improvement for sure in the right direction. Thats the catch phrase for this unit Strike in Silence, so when I strike a key, I get silence indeed. But not always, so thanks for your tip on this matter.

onto the other matter of the 3D glasses. I have inserted a 3D blu ray into the drive and voila - It doesnt even recognize 3D blu ray discs, so that handles that matter entirely, but what is shocking and a bit of false advertising if you asked me. I doesnt even recognize normal Blu ray discs either. I have tried many. It only recognizes DVD and backwards. My sony F series from 3 years ago at least played blu rays brilliantly i might add. I cant fathom a high end unit like this getting trimmed in this dept.

this took quite alot longer to write due to all the backspacing and correcting for poorly recognized keyboard strikes. not my fault, keyboard fault. please asus look into this further. many characters were meant to be capitalized as well, i have left them uncapitalized because of the left-shift key fail.

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Here is what I have done to eliminate keyboard lag and missed keystrokes: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3076-G74SX-Keyboard-Issues-ATK-1.0.00010-BIOS-202-Available-(SOLVED)&p=44735&viewfull=1#post44735

It sounds like you may have some hardware key issues (i.e. your Left Shift key). Since you just purchased this laptop, I would recommend contacting your retailer to see if you can exchange your laptop for a new unit that hopefully will not exhibit this problem.

Also - see this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9245-Cause-of-unresponsive-sluggish-keys-on-G74

From my experience with Roxio CinePlayer, I find it to be buggy software. I believe you need to choose the format of the discs you play. Still, I recommend you download the trial of PowerDVD 11 Ultra to test Blu-Ray discs on your system. If you plan to watch a lot of Blu-Ray media, this is a good purchase.

balrog
02-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Using the Windows Explorer when I insert a DVD disc into the drive it recognizes it and plays it. When I insert a Blu-ray disc into the drive it recognizes nothing. Says for me to insert a disc first. Is this true statement my unit is dvd only?

PILGRIM
02-26-2012, 02:03 AM
I saw an advert of the G74SX-RH71 has a DVD-ROM, not BD-ROM.
In Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives, check if it has the BD (Blu-ray Drive).
To check it manually, open ROM tray. A Blu-ray Drive has those two "eye" sensors.

BrodyBoy
02-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Is this true statement my unit is dvd only?

I saw an advert of the G74SX-RH71 has a DVD-ROM, not BD-ROM.
That's what I've seen as well for that model....the RH71 does not have a blu-ray drive.

onto the other matter of the 3D glasses. I have inserted a 3D blu ray into the drive and voila - It doesnt even recognize 3D blu ray discs, so that handles that matter entirely, but what is shocking and a bit of false advertising if you asked me. I doesnt even recognize normal Blu ray discs either. I have tried many. It only recognizes DVD and backwards. My sony F series from 3 years ago at least played blu rays brilliantly i might add. I cant fathom a high end unit like this getting trimmed in this dept.
It's not false advertising, nor has the unit been "trimmed" in any way. This is simply the configuration you purchased. That particular model does not have a 3D display panel, nor does it have a BD-capable optical drive.

There are other G74 configurations that have these features. Since your model is only 8 days old, you're ptobably still within your return period. Because you're having keyboard issues, and because it doesn;t include some features you seem to want, it would probably be a good idea to return and look for a different configuration.

balrog
03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Ok, so, I have had it too long to return it to the store for refund, besides, they were out of stock, they discontinued any further asus purchases and i would have to pay a hefty restocking fee.

so, i suppose i shall deal with the 3D and blu ray inadequacies.

What i still can't stomach is the keyboard. i am convinced that my o, i, and left shift key are faulty on a mechanical level.

So after trying all the kind posters suggestions I am still left with a very large, backlit, spacious yummy keyboard that frustrates the hell out of me when i try to type simple sentences. im gonnna wear out my backspace key fixiing all the goofups this keyboard produces. I am just a little pleased that those keys arent bound in my gaming applications.

so, from here, i guess I need this chastity person to direct me where i should send the unit for repairs and wait and pray.

say, for a fee, can they upgrade it to Bluray? that would probably end the 12 moonth warranty. im not repairing the wrds in this post anymore to show the problem that i am experiencing. furthermore, i should note that all the lowercase i's were meant to be capitalized, *glares at the left shift key8* well, at least the i key iis being good, or rather somewhat as it just gave me 2 for the press of 1. The O key iis certainly awful to say the least.

HELP, MAYDAY< SOS