PDA

View Full Version : G74sx nh71 issues in overall

Yisera
02-23-2012, 03:37 AM
So this is what happened.. I've posted before about my screen freezing sometimes.. bluetooth sopped working.. sometimes the windows bar stopped working and it had to close and come back up.. videocard was showing issues whenever i was playing screen will go black and it will report recovering from a very grave error..

I'm really not sure if I should format the pc at this point and install windows again.. I got rid of all the ASUS apps it said were useless and caused trouble.. Question is.. how do I format my computer with no Recovery CD with windows?

The thread for drivers in this forums covers all of the drivers from this model? (G74sx NH71)?

I plan on doing it this weekend. Please help me as soon as possible! Thanks beforehand!

fostert
02-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Just getting rid of the ASUS apps by uninstalling still leaves ghost garbage remnants fragmenting your registry: most folks 'round eer always advocate a fresh install rather than trying to clean a polluted install.

Download an ISO of Windows 7 from digitalriver (or its also linked by @JRd1st at http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s) and burn it before formatting (yes, its a legit copy of Windows that you activate later with your key on the sticker underneath your notebook). Might as well also download the drivers you need linked by him there too and burn those, or stick onto a usb drive. Don't go with the bleeding edge NVIDIA drivers, but try something older but safer: e.g. 285

Yisera
02-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Ok I will do that this weekend.. My disk comes partitioned in 2.. data and os.. What is the real advantage of this?

I also plan later on on getting another hard drive.. and put a hackintosh there? Is that possible? Or might put up ubuntu there not sure yet.. question is if I can do that.

BrodyBoy
02-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Ok I will do that this weekend.. My disk comes partitioned in 2.. data and os.. What is the real advantage of this?
If you keep the OS partition smaller, and limit it to OS + programs, it's easier to back up....both the system and your data. Keeping them on separate partitions is mostly about convenience and housekeeping.

Yisera
02-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Ahh ok! I wanted to know also if I got another hard drive.. is the bios multiboot? or does the computer have that ability? I wanted to put in the other disk another OS like ubuntu or something like that

BrodyBoy
02-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Ahh ok! I wanted to know also if I got another hard drive.. is the bios multiboot? or does the computer have that ability? I wanted to put in the other disk another OS like ubuntu or something like that
Yes....you can have multiple boot drive s and OS's on board.

Yisera
02-23-2012, 06:21 AM
How can I view my bios' version and is there an update from the default one it brings?

BrodyBoy
02-23-2012, 06:32 AM
How can I view my bios' version and is there an update from the default one it brings?
Some recent units have shipped with the current BIOS, which is v203. But many new units still to have a previous version.

To quickly check on your BIOS version:

Hit the START button and type "system" in the search bar.
Select System Information from the pop-up Start menu.
The default opening page is a system summary. The BIOS version/date are listed about halfway down.

Yisera
02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks I'll check that tomorrow.. I'm on my desktop right now lol had to work on some SQL script for a friend.. And im too tired to turn on my laptop haha... Thanks for everything again! I'll keep posting after my clean install.