PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Tear_a_Bee
02-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Awhile ago i deleted the recovery partition on my G74sx-ah71. I did not know what it was, i thought it was clutter. Is there any way to get it back or to buy something to replace it? please help.

BrodyBoy
02-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes, you can buy a recovery disk for your computer from the Asus eStore (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3944). They're $50.

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Also, as Brody has pointed out many times in this forum, you still have the option to a) burn an installation DVD of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit from the .ISO file available at http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso, b) use that DVD to install Windows 7, c) install the drivers necessary for your system (carefully arranged by JR in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s), and d) download any of the ASUS software from the ASUS web site at no charge - though only the ATK Package has Brody's approval... ;>{)>

You could also use Windows "Backup and Restore" or freeware partition-cloning software to create a backup of your current Windows installation - again at the reasonable price of "no charge".

BrodyBoy
02-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Ouch! Somebody just slapped me upside the head! :o

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 12:39 AM
And I must say, even though I didn't do it initially, I eventually followed your clean Windows 7 install advice, and now I wonder why I ever wasted 4 good DVD's on the ASUS Recovery Discs!

Tear_a_Bee
02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
I would use that method dstrakele but my G74 came with windows 7 professional. BTW thanks for the quick responses this forum is great!

BrodyBoy
02-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I would use that method dstrakele but my G74 came with windows 7 professional. BTW thanks for the quick responses this forum is great!
If you decide to buy that recovery media, make sure that your product key will work to unlock Windows Pro. My impression is that the vast majority of G74s ship with Home Premium. I know of one UK owner who got Win Ultimate, and you're the first I've heard of who got Win Pro. I would hope your key should just unlock the appropriate edtion, but check to make sure before you spend $50.

(BTW, you can do a clean install, as dstrakele described, with any edition of Windows. So that option is not closed to you.)

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9015-For-Anyone-having-trouble-finding-the-right-Windows-ISO

It references a site that has the legit Digital Rivers link to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ISO. So if you have a valid license for this version, you're good to go....

Another good Brody recommendation is to download ABR from the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread and use it to backup your current Windows Activation information to a flash drive. You can then restore it from the flash drive once you've confirmed your new clean Windows 7 installation is sound.

Tear_a_Bee
02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Just one more question. I decided to reinstall Windows with that iso you mentioned do i have to burn the disc to a CD and run it from the boot menu or can I just run it as soon as I get the file. Also should I download the x64 or the x86 (I have 64x windows so I'm not sure). Thank you all help is greatly appreciated.

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
You'll need to burn the .ISO file to a DVD. A CD doesn't have enough capacity. You'll want to change your boot options in the BIOS to boot from the CD.

You should download the 64-bit version with SP1.

I recommend you determine which drivers you need and download them BEFORE you begin the new Windows 7 installation and save them to a partition that won't be affected by the installation.

Tear_a_Bee
02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
64bit = 64x, right? Sorry for the stupid question I just don't want to mess up. BTW I have x86 Program files.

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
That is correct, @Tear_a_Bee! Please don't hesitate to ask. The 64-bit version supports 32-bit applications that install their files in the \Program Files (x86) directory as well as the newer 64-bit applications that install files to the regular \Program Files directory.