PDA

View Full Version : G73SW HDD Problem (?)

Maajid
02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
A few days ago I started getting blue screens a couple of times a day. Naturally I was alarmed and thought I should backup everything before the HDD goes all tits up. So as soon as I could find enough time, I started the backup operation. Just caught it in time, I thought.. but I was wrong. This proved the final nail in the coffin of the HDD; it bluescreened on me during the the backup and I haven't been able to load Windows since then (except one time when everything was ultra slow and it bluescreened within 5 minutes anyway). When I say I couldn't load Windows I mean it usually froze at the splash screen, occasionally going to the Startup repair screen, "attempting to fix errors" and then looping me back to the Splash Screen where it froze again.

Rejecting the notion that my HDD was no more, I tried a fresh install of Windows. It started off well, whizzing from blue screen to blue screen but when it asked me to select the drive I wanted to install Windows on, it slowed down again and eventually told me I had no drives to install Windows on.

You're probably thinking, 'well you know it's gone now, go and get another one?' but I have one or two questions before I do: a. Can I salvage it somehow or will it never be the same again (it was a good HDD :() and b. If I were to get a new one, suggest me one that you think offers the best bang (reliability+speed) for one's buck.

Thanks for reading, I hope you'll forgive me if I've wasted your time.

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 02:08 PM
What is your current faulty HDD?

How long have you had it?

What capacity are you looking for in your new HDD?

Now that you are looking at new drives, would you be interested in spending money for an SDD and HDD?

Maajid
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I really don't know which one it is if I'm being honest, it's 750GB though - that much I do know. Haven't (hadn't?) had it long, around 4 months. As for what capacity HDD I'm looking to get, I think 750GB again would be my maximum but I'm willing to spend a little extra if there's one available in the 1TB bracket that has great reliability etc.?

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 02:28 PM
What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend for a new HDD?

Maajid
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Prices might be different here from where you are.. but roughly speaking, I'd say $110.

Is it unsalvagable, though? Can nothing be done? I've heard of replacing individual parts of an HDD? Should I take it to a repair shop and spend money on it or should I just get a new one?

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 02:43 PM
It will be a lot cheaper to get a new HDD. Since you've only had the system 4 months, it should be covered under warranty if you are the original owner. Did you register the laptop with ASUS when you purchased it?

If you didn't register, you still may have warranty coverage based on the manufacture date of your laptop. There should be a Warranty card that came with your laptop that discusses coverage.

Maajid
02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for that recommendation mate but due for reasons beyond the scope of this thread (see my Location) warranty coverage isn't a real possibility. Could you be kind enough to suggest which one I should get, assuming I get one on my own and whether it's really the best option?

Thanks.

dstrakele
02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I believe your original HDD is a 2.5" sata 750 GB 7200 RPM unit, possibly a Western Digital WDC7500BPKT-80PK4T0 like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/B004I9J5OG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330099630&sr=1-2

or possibly a Seagate like this: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Internal-Notebook-ST9750420AS/dp/B004MME0N0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330099789&sr=1-2

You can also consider this Seagate Hybrid HDD: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Hybrid-ST750LX003/dp/B00691WMJG/ref=pd_cp_e_0 as an upgrade. It is part SSD and part HDD for faster performance.

Here is a Western Digital 1 TB 2.5" SATA II 5400 RPM drive: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-2-5-Inch-Notebook/dp/B005DVJJWQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330100731&sr=1-3 More capacity, but slower than the 750 GB units listed previously.

I have 2 of the Western Digital 750 GB HDD's on my system and have had no issues since purchase in early September 2011. I generally look at the user recommendations to make my purchase decision.

BrodyBoy has a better handle on the HDD hardware than myself. Perhaps he'll weigh in later with some suggestions for you.

You could still contact ASUS and see if they will accept your defective drive shipped without laptop. If they send you a replacement, you can then add it as a 2nd HDD.

Maajid
02-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Sure, I shall wait for him then. Thanks for all your help :)