PDA

View Full Version : G74sx-bbk9

GilroyWasHere
02-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Just recently purchased the G74sx-bbk9 from Best Buy this past week end and found out about these forums. I'm looking to upgrade my memory and was searching from my phone for some and came across these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-233-241

My question is: is this the correct memory I need or is there a better option. I saw the topic about putting more then 16gb in your laptop but that's a little excessive for my needs right now and 16gb will do just fine

BrodyBoy
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Just recently purchased the G74sx-bbk9 from Best Buy this past week end and found out about these forums. I'm looking to upgrade my memory and was searching from my phone for some and came across these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-233-241

My question is: is this the correct memory I need or is there a better option. I saw the topic about putting more then 16gb in your laptop but that's a little excessive for my needs right now and 16gb will do just fine

If you are adding to the memory already installed, it's best to try and match the existing modules. Even though other memory with the same specs will usually work, there is always the risk of incompatibility, which typically manifests in memory errors and blue screens. (That Corsair you linked is DDR3 1600, a different speed than the installed RAM. It's never advisable to mix different speeds.)

So your best bet it to open the back cover and see what's installed now....jot down the make and model of those modules....and search for more of those.

If you are buying all new RAM and going to 16Gb, I believe the G74 will default back to 1333, anyway. (IIRC, it runs 1600 only up to 8Gb). So I don't think the faster RAM offers any advantage.

GilroyWasHere
02-25-2012, 11:11 PM
If i upgrade my memory, I plan to buy all new sticks and have all 4 the same brand and model.

fostert
02-26-2012, 12:22 AM
If i upgrade my memory, I plan to buy all new sticks and have all 4 the same brand and model.
That's the way to do it for sure. There are some around these forums who have gotten 16GB (4x4GB) of memory to run at its rated 1600MHz clocks, and this would be fine if you have the money: the 1600MHz will make you benchmarks stronger, but thats about it. The real-world performance difference between 1333MHz and 1600 MHz sticks will be so small as to be unnoticeable.

If you want 16GB only but want to leave open the possibility of having 32GB in the future then get 2x8GB sticks for now. AFAIK these only come in 1333MHz, which is fine unless you really have your crosshairs set on the "performance" RAM.