PDA

View Full Version : G551J > I Want To Replace The Optical Drive with an SSD Drive Using a Caddy.

DarkWing-ZERO
09-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Hello awesome ROG community! :)
First, please forgive my bad English!

I have a ROG G551J laptop and I want to replace the CD drive with an SSD storage using a caddy. Is it possible on the G551J?

I want to know what caddy size should I order. And I'm planning to put the windows system on this new storage, I use this laptop with my office work, so I carry my laptop everyday, will the new storage placement get affected with the vibrations of being carried in the bag everyday?

EDIT: And please, is the optical drive connector for this model is SATA II or a SATA III?

Thanks in advance!

Clintlgm
09-05-2019, 04:40 AM

I have a ROG G551J laptop and I want to replace the CD drive with an SSD storage using a caddy. Is it possible on the G551J?

I want to know what caddy size should I order. And I'm planning to put the windows system on this new storage, I use this laptop with my office work, so I carry my laptop everyday, will the new storage placement get affected with the vibrations of being carried in the bag everyday?

EDIT: And please, is the optical drive connector for this model is SATA II or a SATA III?

Thanks in advance!

Standard 2.5" laptop hard drive conversion caddy most likely SATA 1.5 or SATA II, The connector itself is the same for All SATA versions its the SATA Controler that controls the speed.

DarkWing-ZERO
09-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Standard 2.5" laptop hard drive conversion caddy most likely SATA 1.5 or SATA II, The connector itself is the same for All SATA versions its the SATA Controler that controls the speed.

Thanks for the information!
So, should I replace the HDD with the new SSD and then put the HDD in a caddy replacing the CD drive?

Clintlgm
09-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the information!
So, should I replace the HDD with the new SSD and then put the HDD in a caddy replacing the CD drive?

Yes you should put in a SSD for your OS, I would put in a SSD in the Optical drive slot also, then put your old Hard drive in an external case and if it still good? use it for back up images. I don't have any spinners in any of my notebooks any longer.

navis995
09-05-2019, 07:49 PM
I would put HDD in as the speed will be too slow for SSD but fine for HDD.

jdfrench3
09-05-2019, 08:48 PM
Navis995, the G551J laptop model came equipped with a Intel HM87 chipset supporting both SATA II and SATA III. In fact some models actually came with SSDs. Now I have to agree with Clintgm that the CDROM connectivity is probably SATA II.

navis995
09-06-2019, 04:09 AM
Navis995, the G551J laptop model came equipped with a Intel HM87 chipset supporting both SATA II and SATA III. In fact some models actually came with SSDs. Now I have to agree with Clintgm that the CDROM connectivity is probably SATA II.

There is almost no way they put sata 3 port in optical drive caddy.

Julskey
09-06-2019, 03:39 PM
There is almost no way they put sata 3 port in optical drive caddy.
How did you know this? He should just test the ssd in his laptop to know for sure. I have an old G752VT and I have tested an SSD in a caddy at the optical bay and it turned up as sata 3. If you connect an optical drive, it will show as sata 1 but if you connect a sata 3 device, it will also show a sata 3 device. I have verified this a long time ago using crystaldiskmark fyi.

navis995
09-06-2019, 09:56 PM
How did you know this? He should just test the ssd in his laptop to know for sure. I have an old G752VT and I have tested an SSD in a caddy at the optical bay and it turned up as sata 3. If you connect an optical drive, it will show as sata 1 but if you connect a sata 3 device, it will also show a sata 3 device. I have verified this a long time ago using crystaldiskmark fyi.

basically the Speeds will be half of those here the main drives are

Mikie21
09-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Thanks in advance!

A standar 2.5 drive is good enogh

DarkWing-ZERO
09-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys for the replies!

My model already has 128 SSD and 1 TB HDD but I feel the SSD size is so small to carry the OS and other apps including my desktop, it's already full and I don't want to delete anything anymore xD.Sso that's why I want to insert a new SSD and move the OS to this new SSD.

Well that's really interesting because I did run HWinfo and it did say the optical drive is a SATA 1.5
So maybe I should give it a try too.

basically the Speeds will be half of those here the main drives are

So you mean even if it turns around to be a SATA III in the optical drive side it would not be as fast as the main SATA III drive in the HDD side?

A standar 2.5 drive is good enogh

Appreciated man! thank you!

navis995
09-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys for the replies!

My model already has 128 SSD and 1 TB HDD but I feel the SSD size is so small to carry the OS and other apps including my desktop, it's already full and I don't want to delete anything anymore xD.Sso that's why I want to insert a new SSD and move the OS to this new SSD.

Well that's really interesting because I did run HWinfo and it did say the optical drive is a SATA 1.5
So maybe I should give it a try too.

So you mean even if it turns around to be a SATA III in the optical drive side it would not be as fast as the main SATA III drive in the HDD side?

Appreciated man! thank you!

Yeah because main drive uses 6Gbps and caddy only 3gbps. SO if you have speeds greater than 250mb/s it will be useless so putting ssd in there is stupid but putting hdd is fine.