PDA

View Full Version : Partition question

AC3OFSPADES
02-28-2012, 01:04 AM
So on my G74sx, it came with a 500 gb HDD. they were split up so that my OS HDD had 186 gb and the Data HDD got 250. I want to know if there is a way where I can redistribute the amount of space so that my OS has more space and the data has less (around 100 is really all I want there) If there is, what is the easiest way to do it? Never done it before... Thanks in advance

dstrakele
02-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Use Windows Disk Management to delete the DATA partition. Then extend the current OS partition by 150 GB for a total capacity of 336 G. Create a new DATA partition of 100 GB. This will retain the hidden 25 GB ASUS Factory partition, allowing you to restore your system to its original state.

If you have files on the DATA partition now, be sure to back them up. They will be gone when you delete your current DATA partition.

One disadvantage of such a large OS partition is that the Windows System Image will also be large in your backups. If you created a 60 GB OS partition, you could back up 5 Windows System Images vs. the one 336 GB OS partition you currently desire.

AC3OFSPADES
02-28-2012, 01:44 AM
So would it be better than to just save all my files to the Data Partition and just run the OS from the OS partition?

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 01:50 AM
One disadvantage of such a large OS partition is that the Windows System Image will also be large in your backups. If you created a 60 GB OS partition, you could back up 5 Windows System Images vs. the one 336 GB OS partition you currently desire.
+1 I think it makes all kinds of backups more efficient when the OS+programs partition is kept smaller, and separate from the user data. When set up that way, most users wouldn't need more than a 60-100Gb OS partition.

So would it be better than to just save all my files to the Data Partition and just run the OS from the OS partition?
Yes. OS plus programs. :) You can use Disk Management, as Drew described, to make the OS partition smaller and the Data partition bigger.

UltraNEO*
02-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Partition Magic can change the partition sizes without formatting!!!!
Just make sure you read the instructions first!!

http://partition-magic.soft32.com/

There's also Partition Wizard (free trial)
http://www.partitionwizard.com/

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Partition Magic can change the partition sizes without formatting!!!!
Just make sure you read the instructions first!!

http://partition-magic.soft32.com/
That can also be done with Windows DIsk Management.

UltraNEO*
02-28-2012, 01:59 AM
That can also be done with Windows DIsk Management.

Don't you have to 'delete' the partition you'd wanna extend into before 'extend-ing' it?

PILGRIM
02-28-2012, 02:01 AM

Keep Windows OS as lean as possible in a more or less 100 GB partition space should be okay.
Better to place your large files on the non-OS partition/s.

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Don't you have to 'delete' the partition before 'extend-ing' it?
No. In the scenario previously mentioned, where you'd want to re-allocate disk space amongst the existing partitions on a drive, it's very easy. Here's how you'd do it:

1. Shrink the partition you want smaller (which will leave some unallocated space).
2. Expand the other partition that you want bigger, by adding that newly-free space.

Very easy, very safe. It'd only take a couple minutes, and doesn't require installing or learning any 3rd party software.

UltraNEO*
02-28-2012, 02:13 AM
No. In the scenario previously mentioned, where you'd want to re-allocate disk space amongst the existing partitions on a drive, it's very easy. Here's how you'd do it:

1. Shrink the partition you want smaller (which will leave some unallocated space).
2. Expand the other partition that you want bigger, by adding that newly-free space.

Very easy, very safe. It'd only take a couple minutes, and doesn't require installing or learning any 3rd party software.

Hmm... I think you should read it again!!!

Use Windows Disk Management to delete the DATA partition. Then extend the current OS partition by 150 GB for a total capacity of 336 G. Create a new DATA partition of 100 GB. This will retain the hidden 25 GB ASUS Factory partition, allowing you to restore your system to its original state.

If you have files on the DATA partition now, be sure to back them up. They will be gone when you delete your current DATA partition.

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 02:19 AM
I don't need to read it again, thanks. ;) I'm very familiar with the Disk Management utility, and there are few ways to skin a cat. That's one way, and the method I described is another. Using a 3rd party program is another.

UltraNEO*
02-28-2012, 02:23 AM
fine....

Your the first person to suggest this is completely possible...
I checked previously for my own uses (couple of years ago) and was directed to a after-market application.

BrodyBoy
02-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Maybe that was before you were using Windows 7? In "the old days," we had to do partition manipulations outside Windows, in an archaic DOS utility called fdisk. It was a pain. But Disk Management makes all this stuff much easier.