PDA

View Full Version : GX531GS overheating (around 95 degrees Celsius)?

Reguna
09-27-2019, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone,
My laptop (GX531GS-AH76) overheats when playing certain games (Code Vein and Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest).
I use CPUID HWMonitor and it shows that my CPU is around 95 degrees (or higher). My graphic card is ok though.
Is this normal? Does using the "turbo" mode of ROG Armoury Crate help lowering the temperature?
I am playing using Geforce Experience optimized graphic settings and in "balanced" mode of ROG Armoury Crate.
Some people online said 95-99 degree Celsius is acceptable for a gaming laptop, but I think the general consenus is that anything over 90 degree Celsius is bad.
Some even suggested reapplying thermal paste but I am not sure if that's a good idea.
Any helps/answers would be appreciated!

jdfrench3
09-27-2019, 08:01 PM
I would suggest you repaste, up to you.

gr8john6
09-30-2019, 03:32 AM
I have a similar laptop and spent some time trying to reign in the CPU temps. It turns out running games in Turbo mode and actually putting good bit of load on GPU so as to force the GPU side fan to rev up solves the problem. I saw temps hitting over 95 degrees playing Gears 5 in Balanced/Performance mode with FPS cap but once I switched to Turbo, I know it's counter intuitive to let CPU run wilder would give you lower temps..., and uncapped FPS to put load on GPU, I was able to keep the CPU temps in low 80s. I hope that does it for you too. Also, undervolting isn't really helpful, from my observations, ASUS firmware for fan speed seems to be linked to either voltage or power draw of the CPU more so than to temps alone???

gr8john6
10-02-2019, 08:15 AM
How I resolved overheating

Hey, I finally got a handle on thermal behavior of my Strix G731 laptop and thought I would share it with you.
Undervolting Core and Cache to the same level is important, even if you can only undervolt less than ideal.
In my case I settled on -80mV.
However, this isn't the only thing that affects the thermal performance of these units.
For whatever reason, ASUS has completely unlocked PL1 and PL2 limits(70 and 107 respectively).
PL1 limit being steadystate power limit and will determine your long term heavy load performance. Often this number is set to TDP value of the processor, in this case 45W according to Intel. But ASUS Strix G can handle more than that. After much tinkering, I came to around 55W for this value. Your number may be a bit higher or less. After that PL2 limit needs to be set. By default, this number is set to 90 in Throttlestop and XTU but this is way too high. About 75W level is enough to send the processor into Tjunction temp (100 degree Celsius). This number should be set to 1.25 x PL1 or somewhat less in order to provide enough power for short term boost, yet keep the CPU temps in reasonable level. I ended with 65W as conservative estimate. Doing this will keep your laptop CPU temps from climbing to 95+ degrees and also provide best steadystate (longterm workload) performance for your system.
Here is a very good article on this mess: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544...cted-tdp-turbo

I hope this helps!