PDA

View Full Version : G74sx freezing. Need diagnosing

RyanKawash
02-29-2012, 03:04 PM
I bought my g74sx a few months back and it has been working perfectly. A few weeks ago, being the idiot I am, dropped it on my driveway. Ever since then, the laptop screen turns green for a maximum of about 3 seconds before it goes to the log in windows screen. Also, it freezes randomly; When i browse on the internet, the cursor will sometimes turn discolored and it will change shapes, then it will freeze, and i cannot access the task manager or do anything so i have to terminate the power. Also, another symptom my computer seems to be having is, when i go into 'my computer', a partition or 2 will disappear, but at a restart, it will fix it. The freezing doesn't always happen when browsing by the way, it does it randomly, i just seem to be browsing at most the times it freezes up. Sometimes it will freeze for a few seconds then come back to life.

If anyone could find a solution to my problem (which it most likely is the HDD) i will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

dstrakele
02-29-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm most concerned the drop to the driveway may have created some hardware problems, since you report these issues appeared immediately after the drop. You may need to invoke the Accidental Damage part of your Warranty. Have you registered your notebook with ASUS?

It may be worthwhile reseating the HDD and memory.

I also recommend some standard diagnostic tests to troubleshoot the lockup issues:

1) If the lockups are recent, restore your system to an earlier time (before you experienced these issues) with Windows System Restore OR restore the latest stable Windows System Image from your backups.

2) checking your memory 2 sticks at a time with 3 passes each using memtest86.

3) Running CHKDSK C: /F /R from the Command Line started by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Run as administrator" from the popup menu and restarting OR
right-clicking on C: in Windows Explorer and choosing "Properties" from the popup menu, select the "Tools" tab and click on the "Check now" button. Be sure BOTH check disk options checkboxes are checked and restart.

4) If these fail to resolve the problem, try uninstalling or disabling any 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall or Remote Access software you've installed to troubleshoot possible driver conflicts leading to memory corruption on your system.

RyanKawash
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. You mentioned registering the product to ASUS, i don't remember if I did or not when i bought the laptop. How would I know if it's registered and if it's not, how could I? Also, how long does the warranty last?

BrodyBoy
03-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. You mentioned registering the product to ASUS, i don't remember if I did or not when i bought the laptop. How would I know if it's registered and if it's not, how could I? Also, how long does the warranty last?
It can depend on the model and the retailer. If you have all the Asus warranty features, the general warranty is two years and the accidental damage protection is one year.

Which configuration do you have, and where did you buy it? (And did you buy it in the U.S.?)