PDA

View Full Version : G60J Screen upgrade?

abuwow
03-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Sorry if it has been asked before but I tried my best with the search function and google.

Have an Asus G60J with a broken screen, and have been very annoyed anyways with the low resolution of 1366X768 and looking for anything better.

Original screen is a 16" HannStar hsd160phw1

Was wondering if there is any chance of upgrading my screen. I do not see HannStar makes any other resolution in the 16" so was searching for any other brands 16" with a 40pin just right of middle. Wouldn't even mind modding or buying a left to right adapter.

Thanks

Bob

BrodyBoy
03-01-2012, 04:29 AM
I just looked on laptopscreen.com (http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/section/search/index.php?section=products&model=G60J&brand=ASUS), and all they show are replacement 1366x768 panels. Were there other G60 configurations that came with a higher-res display? If so, that might be the panel you'd want to look for.

abuwow
03-01-2012, 04:44 AM
Looked on laptopscreens.com and screencountry.com and seems it was the only resolution made for this series.

Dell XPS seems to have one that maybe is close LTN160AT03, but hoping someone else has made work first.

Also found some 15.6" screens that maybe would be close but really do not want to go too far backwards.

For 200 bucks for the original junk, I'd almost rather part it out then fix and be further annoyed.

LSB
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
The screen you need is LTN160HT01 by Samsung, 1920 x 1080

Here's a link: http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LTN160HT01/

You will most likely will need to modify/replace your LVDS cable (Between the screen and the mobo)

You most likely have a single channel LVDS right now, and you need "FHD" full HD cable (dual channel).

If you plug in a hi-res screen on a single channel LVDS, every second row of pixels will be missing.

Regards,

Ellis

abuwow
03-02-2012, 04:35 AM
I have a LED screen and not CCFL, also it is a 40 pin.

Thanks for the info about the cable and needing the hd one.

I think I listed the wrong model above from the dell but laptopscreens.com did say the dell xps 16 screen should work, except it's out of stock and they said it would be very hard to find.

LSB
03-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I have a LED screen and not CCFL, also it is a 40 pin.

Thanks for the info about the cable and needing the hd one.

I think I listed the wrong model above from the dell but laptopscreens.com did say the dell xps 16 screen should work, except it's out of stock and they said it would be very hard to find.

You DO have the LED screen indeed, how ignorant of me.
Well I got bad news here, the only panel I know of for 16" LED 1080p is B160HW02 (AUO).
(Which is the one in Studio XPS 16)
It's a 3D panel too, so I'm not sure if the pin-out will work for you at all.
There's one on eBay going for $258.

abuwow
03-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Was afraid of that, think I'll give up.

Thanks for the help.

Bob