PDA

View Full Version : WebCam very laggy on K53SV notebook

pierpa91
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone! First of all, I apologize for my English.

I just bought a new laptop (Asus K53SV-SX621V) and this is the second day I'm using it.

I encountered a problem: trying to make calls using the integrated webcam I found it too laggy, really slow. It makes about 5 fps. I tried to change options or update the driver, but no option changed things and the driver on Asus website doesn't work. Only the driver already present in the system is correctly recognised by Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (original system of the laptop).

I contacted Asus by mail (the one of my country) and they said to RMA the product, beacause, according to them, it is an hardware issue.

Whereas, I think it's a driver problem maybe, because the actual driver does not let me change important options, like the ones that I can change in another (external, USB) Webcam by Philips, for example. This last one lets me disable automatic settings and so it shows lower quality images but with a correct frame rate that I can manually set (15, 20, 25, 30 fps).

I am disappointed that a new product has this issue.

I'd like you to help me with your experience. Do you think it's a good idea to send the laptop to Asus RMA? I've read people saying that when their laptop came back from RMA, it had the same issue and, in addition, other issues caused by the inexperiece of Asus techicians that damaged something in their pc. So I'm a bit afraid to send it to RMA, also because this is not a big issue.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

xeromist
03-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Try using it in brighter light or pointing a light right at it. Does the frame rate change? If so then it is a low light filter. I'm not sure how to disable filters but that will at least start you to finding the problem.

pierpa91
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Try using it in brighter light or pointing a light right at it. Does the frame rate change? If so then it is a low light filter. I'm not sure how to disable filters but that will at least start you to finding the problem.

Thanks so much for the reply. ;) And ... you're absolutely right!

Here is what I did:
it's evening here, so there's only the light of the lamp. And it makes about 5 fps, while pointing at my face/body.
Then I pointed my iPod Touch (with brightness set to maximum) in front of the WebCam and waited for about 1 second, as to make the WebCam focus on it. In particular, I could read the text of iPod items (a web page zoomed in) directly from the video stream taken by the WebCam (so it had focused the right way). Then I started to move my iPod up and down and it made a high value of fps (above 15 fps, maybe also 25-30 fps). I was able to read the text of the webpage while moving the iPod!! So no slow down, no "trail" (I don't know if it's the right term, but I hope it gives the right meaning). If there was a trail, I would have not been able to read the text also while moving.

So, now I think there's no hardware problem, unlike Asus technicians said! Am I right?

What do you suggest do to? Is there a way to disable the driver auto settings? While in my external webcam I have the option to disable it, with the Asus integrated I cannot. Maybe I should have a lot of light around me while using the WebCam, but it sounds to me a little bit ridiculous to have the limitation "low light" -> "slow motion and brightness"!
I also want "low light" -> "fast/normal motion and a bit dark video".
And it is important to say that "low light" is not so low ... to have a good lighting I should make the WebCam Call while staying quite under the sun!

Thank you so much again. I'm so happy I won't have to take my brand new laptop to Asus RMA service. (at least after your confirmation after the tests I posted in this message!)

So, any suggestions to disable this crazy filter?

pierpa91
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Just got a new confirmation about that. I turned on both the two very power consuming lights of the bathroom and I could move my face and my hands without any lags. So now also a confirmation on a "real" WebCam application (not just WebCamming an iPod content! :D).

Need I software/driver (registry?) fix for this! Do you need the hardware ID or anything else that could help?

xeromist
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
That's where I'm afraid my knowledge falls short. It may require a driver/firmware update or the low light filter may be always on with no way to ever turn it off. My suggestion would be to contact the support people again and tell them that you found the low light filter is working too hard (slowing down when you still have decent lighting). Ask them if they still think that you should RMA. Perhaps the low light filter is working too hard because of a defect?

pierpa91
03-01-2012, 08:49 PM
That's where I'm afraid my knowledge falls short. It may require a driver/firmware update or the low light filter may be always on with no way to ever turn it off. My suggestion would be to contact the support people again and tell them that you found the low light filter is working too hard (slowing down when you still have decent lighting). Ask them if they still think that you should RMA. Perhaps the low light filter is working too hard because of a defect?

Ok. Thank you for all that you did to help me! Do you think in this forum there is someone with the right knowledge to fix this? I'll tell to Asus support people what I found.
The problem is that I will never send the laptop to RMA until it is only a lighting issue. For me it's an insignificant thing compared to what may happen while the pc is in RMA (scratches on the exterior or on the screen maybe, or something wrong with internal components, which is always a might-happen).
I'll let you know what they will say.

xeromist
03-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Do you think in this forum there is someone with the right knowledge to fix this?

Possibly. I know this question has come up before and nobody had an easy answer. Most of our laptop experts around here are self-taught users though and since people come and go there might be someone who has an answer now that we didn't see before.

amaho
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
i have the same problem. any news?

pierpa91
02-05-2013, 11:39 PM
i have the same problem. any news?

No, the problem is hardware-based and the software does not let us control the option to disable auto-optimization in low-light conditions.
There is only one solution: put one very big light near you or use the pc outside in a sunny day! You have to put yourself in a non-low-light condition.

I LIKE MY O.C COLD
02-06-2013, 03:46 AM
No, the problem is hardware-based and the software does not let us control the option to disable auto-optimization in low-light conditions.
There is only one solution: put one very big light near you or use the pc outside in a sunny day! You have to put yourself in a non-low-light condition.

I have that same issue on my 0.3M webcam on my Asus X54C. The reason I believe is due to the camera slowing down the shutter speed (lag) to brighten the picture. If the camera has plenty if light, the shutter speed increases (higher FPS). The camera is CHEAP so this is the result. It works fine sometimes and others not so much. A game of chance.