PDA

View Full Version : Low FPS on my ASUS ROG 752VM.. Took it to offical Repair shop they said 1000 Dollars.

silverfoxiee
10-26-2019, 05:23 AM
Good Afternoon from Korea,

I turned on my computer few weeks ago and wanted to play Planetside 2, Planetside Arena and APEX LEGENDS all of a sudden.. on all 3 of the games I noticed huge FPS loss. So I decided to trouble shoot the problem.

I reinstalled windows, made sure all of the Windows power settings were set to maximum as well, graphic drivers updated (power settings maxed out) and this is what happens after I ran Furmark for a while, the FPS drops to 20-30... I experience the same problem with games as well they start out well and then FPS hits the bottom.

After no success on fixing it, I decided to take it to the official ASUS repair store in KOREA Yongsan. The engineer over there looked at it with his benchmark utility but ran a CPU benchmark instead. And told me that the CPU was the problem not the GPU and it was not overheating related. He said the CPU was problematic and I would need to replace the whole motherboard. The price they gave me was 1000 dollars.

My question is, is there no other way to fix this problem rather than replacing the entire motherboard.

Respectfully,

xeromist
10-28-2019, 09:03 PM
The CPU is soldered to the board so if the CPU is dying you have to replace the board unless you have some very special equipment.

That said, it would be far cheaper to buy a used mainboard or system with a broken screen and swap it out yourself. If you don't feel comfortable an independent repair shop could probably do that for you.

ASUS service centers are OK when you have a warranty but I think they are too expensive to use for out-of-warranty work when most local shops can do the same work for you for less.

silverfoxiee
10-29-2019, 01:40 PM
The CPU is soldered to the board so if the CPU is dying you have to replace the board unless you have some very special equipment.

That said, it would be far cheaper to buy a used mainboard or system with a broken screen and swap it out yourself. If you don't feel comfortable an independent repair shop could probably do that for you.

ASUS service centers are OK when you have a warranty but I think they are too expensive to use for out-of-warranty work when most local shops can do the same work for you for less.

Appreciate the reply,

Well yes that is probably my best bet atm. But again why is my CPU dying I just bought this machine in 2017 and I haven't used it that much either. Some times the CPU is working properly and all of a sudden it just stops within a certain threshold at random times and doesn't want to go back up. Isnt there a possibility that this is more of a power issue than a CPU problem. Arent there power regulators built within the mainboard which could be damaged and therefore the CPU isn't receiving the power necessary? And if it is the power regulator isn't it possible to replace the damaged one(s)?

This technician just ran a benchmark and his conclusion was it was a CPU problem going off of the bench mark where the CPU freq would hit the bottom after a while.

Respectfully,

Super Gnome
10-29-2019, 02:25 PM
I doubt a benchmark is going to show a CPU needs replacing. There are a lot of things that can cause a computer to throttle (slow itself) and that will lower your FPS. Overheating because of dust build-up for example, a failing fan or cooling, or a software or driver issue. My opinion is a CPU just doesn't half work--it's all or nothing, but that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't trust a technician, either, and I speak from experience with cars. You take your car in with next to nothing wrong, and they will tell you that you need this or that, and will bleed you dry if they can.

Just my two cents, but I'd Google around and look for people with similar problems. I'd also run things to monitor temperatures, etc. and try to see what is going on. I'd also check out Tom's Hardware, and would even post something similar to your above post there--more people look at that forum than this one.

Super Gnome
10-29-2019, 02:35 PM
I just wanted to add, I'd run HWMonitor to see if your CPU cores are working normally. Also, what kind of temperatures are you getting on those cores, and on the CPU more generally? Maybe one of your cores is running at full speed, for example, because of some driver or software issue that a reinstall of windows won't change. I have had a problem like that, and it was because of Cortana in Windows, which I had to completely disable to solve the problem. I'd also look at how much memory your system is using. My rig is using up to 12 GB when running games, etc. These days, I'm reading, you probably want 16 GB installed.

Task Manager is another thing to look at. Maybe your system is needlessly running some software that needs to be turned off or uninstalled altogether.

Just my two cents.

xeromist
10-29-2019, 10:18 PM
That's a good point. We don't know what the technician was going on about. So yeah if there's any other shops you feel like you can trust you would probably want to check there first before ordering parts.

Super Gnome
10-30-2019, 09:23 AM
I just wanted to further add that while Asus hardware is about the best you can get, the software is a whole other story. That the case, you may think your drivers are up to date when they are not. Windows updater does not always alert you, Intel Driver & Support Application also will not also alert you. In fact both will say you are up to date, falsely, when you are not. Asus Armoury Crate, on the other hand, is garbage too, but is likely your best hope for drivers. You might also go to your support page, but updates are not always there either. After checking all of these, if it were me, I would go to Asus support, and connect to their chat and explain that you are not sure if your drivers are up to date. The clowns there sometimes have updates that have not been posted to the support page--so there you go. Hopefully we get to the bottom of this before you plunck down $1000 needlessly.

Lastly, I would use another computer if I had one and wait a few weeks or whatever, and just see if Asus or someone comes up with a driver in the meantime. Sometimes a Windows or other update creates new problems that will cause your CPU to overwork itself, and Asus will not be on top of that for a few weeks.

Again, just my two cents, but I know these things from almost ten years of using Asus hardware. Again, the hardware is usually the best, but the software (and set up for updating) is well, often plagued with a host of issues that Asus is slow to solve.

silverfoxiee
10-30-2019, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the support guys.

I just Recorded a video with whats happening with hwmonitor in the background as well. Perhaps you guys can make something out of it. It seems like a power problem. But again I am no expert .. This is only a part of the video it ran at 60+ fps for 5-10 minutes and then this is what happened.

I have tested it with a different adapter as well same problem.

You can watch the video here. 3.46 is where the fps drops.

https://youtu.be/xRRZ-fNyB0I

silverfoxiee
10-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Ok Ive done more research. Maybe this is the answer to my problem. I typed cpu stuck at 0.78 Ghz into google https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-xps15-9560-cpu-stuck-at-0-78-Ghz/td-p/6222936

this is a quote from a guy who posted a fix on dell. Similar to my problem. I am going to give it a try
Fixing your Dell XPS CPU stuck at minimum frequency
XPS Discussion
Backstory
Since Christmas I have owned a Dell XPS 15 running Debian. It was unbelievably slow and laggy at first and I eventually chalked it up to an intel_pstate bug causing my CPU to be stuck at 800Mhz as I thought was confirmed by this thread that links to this kernel.org bug discussion.

However, over this timeline, I also installed Windows just to update the Thunderbolt firmware for my great USB-C experiment that I posted on here.

On a whim, I opened up task manager on Windows and noticed that the CPU on Windows was also stuck at 797Mhz. Okay, so not an intel_pstate Linux bug. wtf?

BIOS resets and BIOS + firmware updates to latest did not resolve the problem.

Stumbling upon the fix
I've been searching around all sorts of forums, bug reports, and subreddits for any mention of the Dell XPS and stuck or throttled frequencies. After a couple weeks of searching, I finally stumbled across this Dell Community thread.

You need to shutdown the PC, then open the bottom lid up (unscrew 10 torx t5 screws and 2 philips ph1 under the XPS plate) and disconnect the battery for 10-15 seconds, then reconnect it back. On my notebook it returned the speedstep back.

Verdict
In a last act of desperation, I purchased a Torx screwdriver set and tried the fix. And it worked! Both Windows and, with intel_pstate reenabled, Linux now scale the CPU correctly between 800Mhz and 3.20Ghz.

I also think my GPU must have been throttled because, as a photographer, I use Darktable under Linux and it was very, very slow even when I was using the ondemand governor for Linux. It's now super snappy!

It has to be because of something that shows up in my BIOS logs that a user on the same Dell Community thread mentions:

...it was suggested that either a "bad" power supply or a "thermal" event may trigger this "safe" mode...

I did have a log entry of a bad power supply connected in early December. Clearing the logs did not fix it, only disconnecting the battery. It must be a hardware flag of some sort.

TL;DR
Use the service manual as a guide to remove the bottom of the laptop, disconnect the battery, press power for 5 seconds, and viola - fixed.

RedSector73
10-30-2019, 11:55 AM
https://youtu.be/xRRZ-fNyB0I

I see performance power limit kicked in on HWmonitor which isn't their prior to FPS drop. Wondering if power options were adjusted to maximum performance might stop this ?

Anyway sound like you fixed it. congrats.

silverfoxiee
10-30-2019, 12:19 PM
I see performance power limit kicked in on HWmonitor which isn't their prior to FPS drop. Wondering if power options were adjusted to maximum performance might stop this ?

Anyway sound like you fixed it. congrats.

Yes I maxed out the performance, I haven't fixed it yet as I haven't opened the laptop yet. And it seems its gonna be a pain in the but to open it :). I just drained the battery and going to test again. I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks a lot brother!

Super Gnome
10-30-2019, 02:33 PM
First off, your CPU and GPU look to be functioning normally looking at HWMonitor.

Second, I'm not sure about why your FPS is dropping like that, but are you running any security software? Maybe it is updating at that point, or something like that is happening. Also, an out of date driver can do stuff like that for sure. You might also want to check and see what your monitor speed is. Mine is 60, so I limit my fps in game to nothing over sixty. In fact, to keep my GPU and CPU temperatures healthy and below 60 degrees C, I actually limit my FPS in game to 30, and have moved it around to 40 or whatever, and I notice no really noticeable change in game play. I'm talking about a desktop, though, and laptops normally run hotter.

I will say though, I did notice a bit of choppiness on screen, when lowering from 60 to 30 at first, but I'm used to in now and I no longer notice that. You might want to try that because, and I'm not sure, but your system may be throttling itself because your temperatures are getting close to 80. Also, do you blow out your machine regularly? I do when I use my laptop a lot--and have had it do what your machine does when I didn't. In fact, years ago, I had a laptop that would simply shut down when the dust built up inside. Just put a paper clip in the vent to stop the fan from spinning and use a blower or vacuum cleaner. People do say don't use a vacuum cleaner, but if you stop the fans from spinning they won't create static which can, one in a thousand times, damage components by creating static.

Also, do run Task Manager to see if your system is running anything extra not needed.

Edit: But too, it is weird how when you unplugged it and then plugged it back in and then the problem corrected itself--then too, that simply might be a safety mechanism that had kicked in, but then was resetting. Also, on second glance at what is happening, it is weird that the FPS stayed so low even though the temperature dropped to below 60. That is unusual, but I'm not sure about that--my system never really goes above 60 degrees--that is either the CPU or GPU.

Super Gnome
10-30-2019, 02:50 PM
I didnt more than have a skim of this, a bit too busy to peruse it, but have a look. https://www.techconsumerguide.com/cpu-throttling-and-how-to-fix-it/

Super Gnome
10-30-2019, 10:00 PM
Also, I was just thinking back... I have a couple laptops I use at times, mind you I have two working desktops I built myself that can handle way higher loads--so I now use them. Anyhow, for both of the laptops I use a cooling pad, and even have a little cooler you can attach to the side to help suck out the hot air. I also blow them out with a blower--yup, a high power leaf blower, and do so about once a month when using them daily (and absolutely with a paper clip to stop the fans from spinning). Also, their temperatures max out at around 70 degrees-- occasionally 75, and never go near 80 or 83 like your laptop did--and I adjust the in game settings to keep them from throttling like your machine is doing.

bazzarooney
10-31-2019, 01:38 AM
You could try the following commands to set the max and min performance of the CP:u

Do this in an ‘ADMIN’ powershell or CMD window:

powercfg.exe -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ec -ATTRIB_HIDE

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN 100

powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN 100

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 100

powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 100

powercfg.exe -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

Super Gnome
10-31-2019, 05:00 AM
If you change the throttle point of your cpu it will run at higher temperatures without that safety mechanism in place, which will cook it in time, either quickly or slowly, not sure which. If you want to replace your cpu and motherboard or get a new computer in maybe a year or two or less, all depending, sure, run it at higher temperatures. It seems more sensible to just lower your game settings and maximum FPS and have your computer work like a charm until it is obsolete because the max Windows you can run is no longer supported. That's my case. I have two laptops that still work and run Windows XP only. I always lowered the settings when they throttled and that kept them alive. It's as simple as that.

silverfoxiee
10-31-2019, 03:17 PM
Just a heads up, first off wanna thank you all for the support.

I have downloaded the INTEL EXTREME TUNING UTILITY and undervolted my CPU... I have also limited my FPS to 75 which is my monitors locked refresh rate.

I have been playing Apex legends for a few hours now and I haven't had any throttling with the exception of this morning, this morning I played for a few minutes and it kept kicking in. The utility showed thermal throttling with the CPU temperature at 70 C.

I do not believe it should throttle at 70 C as that is not an extreme temperature.

I will keep testing and keep you guys posted, if I find an absolute solution it might be useful for future reference.

Once again appreciate the support.

Super Gnome
10-31-2019, 10:03 PM
If you want computer longevity you shoot for 60 degrees max. You may have to limit your in game settings to achieve that--things like V-syc, FPS, or whatever. Arguably if you want better performance and higher frames at the cost of longevity you simply disregard that number. Seventy degrees for a laptop should be a good compromise, and no it is not extreme.

Anyhow, good to see you have solved your problem or at least know what to do now. :D