PDA

View Full Version : Second OS / WinXPMCE (32-bit)

Cookie_187
03-04-2012, 09:12 AM
G74Sx with dual SSD, primary has Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Can I install Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (a 32-bit operating system) onto my secondary SSD and will it work with all of the hardware?

grungeboy2
03-06-2012, 06:17 AM
why would you do this tho? any benefits?

Cookie_187
03-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Because I want to obviously, my reasons are my own. Does anybody know? I want to reinstall it from my old desktop

Myk SilentShadow
03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Well it depends entirely on what hardware you are referring to (a list please of said hardware :) ) and I am not too sure about multi-OS installations over more than one hard drive...but, from what I do know about Multi-OS installs on a single drive (with partitions created for each OS) you would need to install the older OS first and then Win 7 second as the XP install wont be able to recognise the newer version of Windows....so for a multi-OS install on more than one drive. you may need to format your first Drive and install XP then set up Win 7 on the second drive.

Oh and as a sidenote, if you are hooking up the system to a TV with an HDMI port, don't waste your time installing Media Centre...just hook up the HDMI cable to your VGA card if it has an HDMI output on it :)

Area 66
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Windows 7 don't come with media center ? I think so; now for your problem, you have Windows 7 pro, just install XP mode and call it a day.

dstrakele
03-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I believe you can install XP as a second OS in a dual boot configuration a) on your second SSD or b) as a separate partition on your first SSD, or even c) a new folder on your first SSD. At bootup you will select the OS you wish to run. The key may be finding XP drivers for your hardware, which may not prove that difficult.

I do like @Area 66's idea better, however.

EDIT: Choice c) install XP to a folder won't work, now that I think about it. It requires both Windows versions be the same (i.e. installing a maintenance instance of XP on an XP OS partition).

Myk SilentShadow
03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I believe you can install XP as a second OS in a dual boot configuration a) on your second SSD or b) as a separate partition on your first SSD, or even c) a new folder on your first SSD. At bootup you will select the OS you wish to run. The key may be finding XP drivers for your hardware, which may not prove that difficult.

I do like @Area 66's idea better, however.

Yeah, but it isn't as simple as that. I've installed a few old OSes with newer ones and they all say you must install the oldest OS first as the oldest won't be able to detect the newer one if installed after it

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot

Though the notes at the bottom do repeat what I said, I do not think you can still install XP after win7, I might be wrong as I haven't dual booted in quite a long time

dstrakele
03-06-2012, 02:32 PM
That's a good reference, @Myk. Here's another; http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Cookie_187
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Forget the fact that it's Media Center Edition, I don't want it for that! It's the Windows XP that I have. Yes I want a seperate Windows XP operating system on my second drive that I can select during boot
The possibility of not being able to get the drivers for XP was my biggest concern... Thank you for the information

My config that varies from the original set up

Intel 2nd Generation Core i7 2860QM 2.5GHz - 3.6GHz Turbo, 8MB cache

Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

(Intel HM65 Express Chipset)

4x 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM for 16GB

17.3" 16:9 Full HD 1920x1080 LED Backlit LCD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M with 4GB (2GB dedicated) GDDR5 VRAM

Dual 256GB 2.5" SATA SSDs

Blu-Ray RW, Super-Multi DVD combo

houndazs
03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Make sure to disconnect the Windows 7 drive before you install XP MCE. That will be the biggest thing to remember, apart from drivers.

Cookie_187
03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't want to break the seal and void the warranty! Can I lock the drive in the BIOS to have the same result?? I don't understand the significance of installing the older first when neither operating system will be loaded or running while installing because the installation disc will be run before an operating system is even booted... And I don't get how unplugging the drive with the newer OS on it first can make a difference as it's only either going to be there or not
I don't know why one operating system has to recognise the other as long as each can still see the other drive to access files

I don't have any discs for all the software that came preloaded with my Windows 7 so I will not be uninstalling it to reinstall it after especially if my Windows XP doesn't end up being able to drive the hardware

All I want is my Windows 7 Professional 7 64-bit as is installed on one SSD and my Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 installed on my empty SSD with the option screen to select which operating system to boot at start-up as would happen automatically with multiple installs of older versions of Windows on my old desktop computer

Myk SilentShadow
03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
That's a good reference, @Myk. Here's another; http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Thanks for the link, as it's been quite a while since I last did a multi-OS setup my knowledge had gotten a little rusty. Cheers!! :cool:

Area 66
03-07-2012, 01:15 PM
The possibility of not being able to get the drivers for XP was my biggest concern... Thank you for the information

it's why I say run XP in virtual, the drivers problem will be fix. You already have Windows 7 pro, try it it's free, if you don't like it just remove it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode