PDA

View Full Version : Battery life

dogla
03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Is one hour video converting on a full charge normal???? In my opinion is my battery draining way to fast.

dstrakele
03-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised - that's a pretty CPU and GPU intensive activity.

dogla
03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Damn.....a bit higher capacity battery would've been nice....

grungeboy2
03-06-2012, 06:06 AM
most video conversion tools use GPU power. doing that is putting a big strain on your battery if that is what is happening. something like that is a job for the AC Adapter.

it's not so much a matter of the battery capacity as it is the amount the video card can draw. if the video card is running full throttle then the ac adapter should be plugged in. if you're running on battery you should do things like set the computer to a battery saving power scheme ( i use power4gear for this) and stay away from games or programs that are going to crank the video up to full power.

the stress put on the battery by doing this, will shorten your battery's life fairly quickly, making it necessary to replace it.

dogla
03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I did see that the CPU was being used fairly heavily cuz it was constantly in turbo mode (running 2.7-2.8GHz). How can I measure how much the GPU is being used? I mean like the widget ALL CPU where it shows cpu info, frequency, activity , is there one for GPU? I'm not planning to stress the battery like that but just wanted to see how long our batteries last under heavy load.