PDA

View Full Version : G Series Purchase Soon

Ken Kong
03-07-2012, 01:11 AM
I am making an ASUS purchase very soon. I have done a lot of homework as I have been wanting a ROG laptop for a year now (well, I REALLY want a Clevo P270WM, but I don't have 5k to spend....lol).

I think I have settled on the ASUS G74SX-XT1. From what I have read its only like $35 to add 4GB memory to max it out. I also have been reading about a solid state drive, and I intend to add these as soon as I get the machine. I just wanted to hear from ASUS people and ask if I am making the right move here? From what I have read it is cheaper to add these two components yourself AFTER you buy it. Or should I just pony up more money to ASUS and get a different model with the maxxed memory and an SSD included? And if so, which model would you recommend?

I haven't bought anything yet, so any suggestions from the pros here would be appreciated. I can afford the XT1 and am ready to buy, but if there is another model that is only a slight jump in price for a big jump in performance/features, I may be enticed to spend a bit more. I want to get the most bang for my buck, and ASUS seems like the way to go. Also, I have read countless reviews on the countless different ASUS models/configurations and the XT1 seems to have the least problems/complaints out of the box.

One other thing I want to address. Does anyone know when the newest models/lines of ASUS ROG laptops are going to hit the market? If I can get a bigger bang for my buck by waiting a month or two, I am not opposed to that. Are there any plans to start using an Nvidia GTX 580M in these machines soon? Or possibly a dual video card option?

I want a machine that is going to last, and is still going to get at least decent FPS in 3-5 or more years from now if possible.

Thanks!
Ken

Ken Kong
03-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Hmmm, just noticed Tiger Direct has $250.02 instant savings right now. It was only $100 yesterday. This may make my decision for me. Does anyone know how long this $250 instant savings will last???

Dominus
03-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Hi, i am in the same position as u are right now, but since the next series was announced i am just waiting for the right moment, anyways if u dont wanna spend a little bit more on the laptop (i suppose the G75 series will be higher price) u will still have the choice to get a G74SX much cheaper than it is right now.... my opinion is to wait one more month 'till the next series will be on the market, depends on you...

Ken Kong
03-07-2012, 01:53 AM
I did not know the next series was announced. Where can I see about it? Are there any configurations/pricing yet? If its only a month, I may just wait and hope the G75 has a 580M video card.

Area 66
03-07-2012, 02:01 AM
They will always have a next series

Dominus
03-07-2012, 02:03 AM
I did not know the next series was announced. Where can I see about it? Are there any configurations/pricing yet? If its only a month, I may just wait and hope the G75 has a 580M video card.

Prices are not yet available, but configurations are... at least for the cpu it's Intel Ivy Bridge and for Nvidia... Kepler new generation...
i guess u might wanna see these link 1 (http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26194-nvidia-gtx-680-final-specs-rumoured) and link 2 (http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26179-kepler-256-bit-faster-in-dx11-games-than-7970)

Boosted_R
03-07-2012, 02:32 AM
would wait and see what prices the G75 is going for..... no one really with the G74 will buy the G75 as its so close in spec, but the G75 is smaller which is the only real plus so far..... wait, compare the 2 and go from there when its out. Good Luck

G74sxpoo
03-07-2012, 05:27 AM
DON'T GET A G74SX!

You will NOT be happy with the keyboard! No num lock means most of your games will not play like you want.

I can't use FSX as most of the mappings need num lock for views...

Games like ARMA are even worse.

SKIP IT. The keyboard layout will make you regret spending $1200 on it.

Invincible
03-07-2012, 01:24 PM
DON'T GET A G74SX!

You will NOT be happy with the keyboard! No num lock means most of your games will not play like you want.

I can't use FSX as most of the mappings need num lock for views...

Games like ARMA are even worse.

SKIP IT. The keyboard layout will make you regret spending $1200 on it.

I have no idea what you talking about, my keyboard in G74SX it's just fine

G74sxpoo
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
You don't have access to a NUM LOCK KEY that makes many games unplayable... ARMA/2 FSX are my biggest losses. Plus now the print on my keyboard is coming off... I have 3 letters that are illedgable.

There are WAY TO MANY PEOPLE still posting about keyboard issues. SO either you don't play games, or are a shill, or don't own a G74SX.

xxbbcc
03-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I strongly recommend againts buying a G74S unless they fix the various BIOS issues it has before you purchase. Not having a Num Lock is a big deal, especially if you plan on using your laptop for anything other than web browsing and running Calculator. As G74sxpoo said, some games are outright unavailable to you. I also play Arma/Arma 2 and Num Lock is a big deal. Plus I use the laptop professionally and I too, see some (minimal) keyboard lag (even on an external keyboard).

I have another ROG machine (don't remember the model, it's smaller than the G74S), that one has the power pin that breaks off if you connect your computer to the charger (Asus fixed it but I was out of a computer for ~2 weeks). Real quality.