PDA

View Full Version : USB3 Issue

bsawchuk
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I know there are threads in the past about USB3 not working properly on G74 but I figure I'd start a new topic to see if anyone has had any progress on this.

The main issue is when I use a USB3 drive it will recognize it, then start to copy and cut out part way through copying.

The drive still works on USB2 no problems.

I have removed the Power4Gear software, the Asus Charge Fast utility and have removed drivers and re-installed several times. I am running driver version 3.5.4.0. After doing all of the above the issue still exists.

Has anyone actually talked to Asus and found a solution for this? It sounds like a power issue with the Hub itself but I was wondering if they were maybe releasing a new driver or anything that may help this issue.

I love USB3 but at this point it is useless.

Any help is appreciated.

BrodyBoy
03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
You've probably already seen the other suggestions about deleting the USB devices and drivers and starting over. I would suggest you try that again, and then after Windows has restarted and installed its own generic USB drivers, install the latest Fresco driver (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/USB3.0/USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35240.zip), as well as the AsPatch that is included in the package. (I am not sure what the patch is for, but it's worth a try.....)

Please report back on your results, as this is a fairly new driver and there's not much feedback on it yet.

bsawchuk
03-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Just tried that new driver and am shocked to see that it may have actually worked. Copying a large chunk of data now and so far *knocks wood* it hasn't crashed like it used to. Will give another update after I am done copying all my data back to the drive.

Thanks Brody!

dstrakele
03-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I've seen recommendations to turn ON the USB Charging feature of ASUS Ai Charger as it increases the voltage supplied to the USB 3.0 port.

bsawchuk
03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Now that I have it working I don't know if I want to install ASUS Ai Charger, lol. Maybe once I get my data copied I will try installing that and see if it still works. It really sounds like that Driver update may have done the trick.

dstrakele
03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Agreed - our posts crossed at the same time. It would be more useful to confirm the issue is driver-related, rather than voltage-related.

bsawchuk
03-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Well after copying several hundred GB's it seems like the drivers have resolved my USB3 issues. Moral of the story I guess is remove the current drivers and use the ones posted by Brady. Hope this works for everyone else!

BrodyBoy
03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Well after copying several hundred GB's it seems like the drivers have resolved my USB3 issues. Moral of the story I guess is remove the current drivers and use the ones posted by Brady. Hope this works for everyone else!
Wow, that's fantastic! This USB power issue has been somewhat resistant to software fixes, so if this latest driver actually does the trick, that'll be a huge help to many with this problem,

Thanks for trying it and posting your results. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it continues to be trouble-free. :)

bsawchuk
03-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Hopefully the Driver and How to thread can be updated with this newest driver, thats the first place I checked and it still has the old one.

Thanks again for the help Brody!