PDA

View Full Version : New Member/G74 Owner with Questions/Observations

natty
03-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Hi all. Proud new owner, and poster here. After doing some searching and a fair amount of reading I still have a couple of questions and observations.

Questions:

1. The touchpad...oh the touchpad...Maybe I'm just used to Synaptic (very precise single line edge scrolling) and maybe I'll get used to this one over time but right now, I hate the thing. After trying the adjustments in the cp, I can't get the scroll feature to calm down. The two finger scroll is all over the place and the one finger edge scroll only scrolls by pages. I can do without the two finger scroll since it's a very unnatural position for my fingers. The one finger edge scroll should be able to scroll by lines. Any way to accomplish the latter?

2. My unit came with a 500 gig hd. I bought a budget 64 gig SSD (I know it's not that big but I blew my wad on the computer). Which of the following setups should I use?
-Just put the SSD in as a secondary and use it for my game drive. I would have to rotate games out when I'm done due to the size, but it would speed up load times. OR
-Wipe the 500, do a clean install (or a restore) on the SSD, which would be pretty much just for the OS, and use the 500 for everything else, including gaming. Faster OS but longer game load times. OR
-Other suggestions?

3. If I do a clean install, are there any good guides detailing which drivers/utilities are essential/desirable?

Observations:

-The DVD tray button is right where I grab the laptop to pick it up and it keeps popping open.

-The screen is beautifully bright. I usually have to turn it down.

-The 1 and 6 keys have a white circle around them. Why?

-Stays sooo cool

-Skyrim auto-detected at Ultra High!! Sweet! (Although the touchpad seems a little laggy in-game, will have to try with a real mouse.)

That's all for now. Thanks.

BrodyBoy
03-08-2012, 07:46 AM
1. The touchpad...oh the touchpad...Maybe I'm just used to Synaptic (very precise single line edge scrolling) and maybe I'll get used to this one over time but right now, I hate the thing. After trying the adjustments in the cp, I can't get the scroll feature to calm down. The two finger scroll is all over the place and the one finger edge scroll only scrolls by pages. I can do without the two finger scroll since it's a very unnatural position for my fingers. The one finger edge scroll should be able to scroll by lines. Any way to accomplish the latter?
Try opening the Mouse Properties (the generic Windows settings, not the TP manufacturer's config panel), and go to the "Wheel" tab. Change the vertical scrolling "number of lines" setting and see if that helps.

2. My unit came with a 500 gig hd. I bought a budget 64 gig SSD (I know it's not that big but I blew my wad on the computer). Which of the following setups should I use?
-Just put the SSD in as a secondary and use it for my game drive. I would have to rotate games out when I'm done due to the size, but it would speed up load times. OR
-Wipe the 500, do a clean install (or a restore) on the SSD, which would be pretty much just for the OS, and use the 500 for everything else, including gaming. Faster OS but longer game load times. OR
-Other suggestions?
Do a clean install on the SSD, using it for Windows and your programs. As long as you save user data to the secondary hard drive (the original HDD, now re-tasked), 64Gb should be plenty of room.

3. If I do a clean install, are there any good guides detailing which drivers/utilities are essential/desirable?
Let me know if you decide to go that route, and I'll send you some links.

As for the 1 and 6 keys....this seems to be standard on Asus keyboards. The only explanation I've ever seen is that they serve as visual reference points to make typing easier. Seems pretty lame, but given that I've never seen any other purpose documented, I guess that's it.

natty
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
1. Yes, I tried the cp settings too (based on other posts in this forum). I'm starting to figure it out. The two finger scrolling is like when you press the middle mouse button---the further you go from 'center', the faster it scrolls. So when I was trying to slowly slide my fingers up/down to slowly move the page up/down, what I was really doing was pegging the scroll feature thus the fast scrolling.

I guess I'll get used to it. At this point, I much prefer the Synaptics setup---your single finger acts more like the scroll bar on the right of the page---while holding your finger on the pad, you move it up slightly and the page moves slightly. You move it fast, or 'throw' the page, it scrolls fast or keeps on scrolling. Precise control. Oh well, I'll be using it with a mouse most of the time anyway.

2. I was leaning that direction (clean install on SSD). Makes more sense to utilize the speed of the SSD for the OS (75% of my time on computer) rather than for gaming (25%). Skyrim (my baseline) loads pretty fast off the mechanical drive anyway.

3. I would be very grateful for those clean install links. Thanks!

AQUASTEVAE
03-08-2012, 10:54 PM
great advice from brody. the only thing i would add, is that there is a function in the mouse features, that allows you to tap only the top right corner or bottom right corner to scroll. i use to use that function as it gave me more control. you can leave your fingers on the pad corner for continuous scrolling, or just tap for different ranges.

BrodyBoy
03-08-2012, 10:58 PM
great advice from brody. the only thing i would add, is that there is a function in the mouse features, that allows you to tap only the top right corner or bottom right corner to scroll. i use to use that function as it gave me more control. you can leave your fingers on the pad corner for continuous scrolling, or just tap for different ranges.
+1 I agree.....rather than leaving ALL the multi-touch features in the Sentelic driver enabled, which they are by default, using them selectively allows you to use it in a way that's more comfortable and intuitive. (Like, with that "Zoom" thing enabled, I get pages constantly resizing! I've disabled a lot of the features, and gotten good at using the ones I actually like.)

natty
03-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I noticed that, and have been trying those different ways with the pad (including disabling the zoom). It's hard for me to get over the frustrating fact that all three of those control methods---one finger page, two finger scroll and corner scroll---are all accomplished with Synaptic's elegant implementation: One finger control of very fine, or very speedy page scrolling that takes the place of all three of the Asus methods.

All right, I'll stop complaining about it and just get used to it. Maybe some day, a different driver will be implemented for this touch pad. Thanks again for the tips.

380mcn
03-22-2012, 12:03 PM
i RMA mine regarding the touchpad, screen flicker and dead battery.
they made no changes regarding the screem but gave me another battery AND replaced sentellic touchpad with synaptics. the difference is like having a 1star touchpad to a 5star touchpad! it is like going from night to day!