PDA

View Full Version : Asus G73-JH Problem

ken986
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Recently got a G73-JH from Best Buy a few days ago. So far everything works fine except for one problem. In WoW I get random game freezes for 2-5 seconds constantly when raiding or PvPing. It doesn't matter what the graphic settings are on (I can run high settings at 60 fps constantly) this still happens.

Any suggestions?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1257894.p?id=1218243761956&skuId=1257894

Link to the laptop I got.

teh.exploit
01-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Im looking at buying this laptop, and since you have it, can you tell me if it has wifi or not? Nowhere on the best buy site does it say that it has wifi. Sorry, I know this is off topic, but I need to know, there are many many people with this question.

ken986
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Anyone? I actually returned my laptop to Best Buy and replaced it and this one has the same exact problem. My desktop which has less specs than this laptop can run WoW with no hicups. Going to return it if there is no solution.

xeromist
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Ken, are you running over a wireless connection, and if so have you tried connecting directly to your router via network cable?

ken986
01-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm currently running wireless connection. I can try plugging it in and seeing if there is a difference. Is this a known issue?

xeromist
01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Sort of. All the way back to the days of wireless A/B I've had issues with some routers & cards just not working very well together. It's possible that even though they are supposed to follow the same spec your laptop just doesn't like your router much.

Other than that I suppose you could be having issues pulling content from the hard drive. Do you notice if the lag happens when you're turning, effects are going off, around a particular cl**** etc. The reason I mention a particular class is that perhaps a certain effect is what is causing the issue.

ken986
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
So far using a wired connection I haven't noticed any problems. I thought it was my graphics card because it would happen only in raids and battlegrounds in WoW (lots of action situations).

xeromist
01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
The problem with those is that there is a lot happening both graphically and traffic-wise. Going wired will eliminate a local network issue as the problem.

I'd still keep an eye out so if it happens again you can try to figure out if a specific spell effect or event is causing the lag.

Oh, and if you do find that the problem has gone away you might try going to a friend's house or other wireless source to see if a different router fixes the problem as well.

Ryne Brown
01-05-2011, 02:20 AM
First thing I would suggest is going to wire connection as stated above, also try updating vBios, and your drivers. I had a similar issue with Crysis, when to many particle effects were on screen, updated vBios and issue seems to be resolved.

Yes it does have WiFi, and WiMax, but not both at the same time.

Lastly love mine, great comp, very happy with it.

ken986
01-05-2011, 04:46 AM
I haven't updated a bios before is there an easy way or program to do it? I'm pretty good at learning computer stuff so if there is an online tutorial some where how to do it I could probably learn it.

ken986
01-05-2011, 05:32 AM
I actually just checked the bios and it's at 211 which seems to be the newest one. I did update my drivers to the newest ones based on the sticky thread on these forums.

Chastity@ASUS
01-05-2011, 06:18 AM
I haven't updated a bios before is there an easy way or program to do it? I'm pretty good at learning computer stuff so if there is an online tutorial some where how to do it I could probably learn it.
I see you have 211, which is fine. What he is referring to is the video vBIOS, which is a firmware update for the GPU. Go to the Fix GSOD sticky here and download the current beta and follow the directions. You will need to use or make a bootable USB flash drive.

ken986
01-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Issue started occuring again even with plugged in internet. From other reviews I've researched it seems the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 isn't that great as I've read people having this problem when playing Starcraft 2 as well.

Chastity@ASUS
01-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Starcraft II issues were resolved with 10.12 WHQL. Update your vBIOS, and then you can run 10.12 without any issues.