PDA

View Full Version : G74sx 3D (stock wi fi card) question/help

Henrysyy
03-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post so yeah.. okay, so recently I purchased this laptop the ASUS G74SX-DH73-3D.
I heard alot about people changing their wi-fi cards. So my question is there only one choice to get another wi-fi card, because I hear about everyone getting the Intel 6230 WiFi/BT Combo Card. But I don't know if that is like outdated now or not. I heard about the Intel 6300. So is it okay to use like other cards other than the 6230, or is it just that card itself is alredy better than others. Since i want to upgrade my wi-fi card too.also whichever one i do buy from every ones help. I would also like to know if its easy to install the card too. I never upgraded anything. So im kinda scared to. If anything ill go to Frys Electronics/Best Buy and ask them if they can put it in for me.

AQUASTEVAE
03-08-2012, 10:46 PM
hi henry. the difference in the 6230 and the 6300 is mostly about bluetooth. if you don't use bluetooth technology, then i would get the 6300, and that is actually what i use now. if you use bluetooth a lot, then you want to purchase the 6230. the 6300 can handle a much higher bandwidth as well, but most people don't have the connection speed, or modems to give them such a high bandwidth anyway. so you are mostly dealing with the question of bluetooth.
the modems are fairly simple to install, and there are tutorials on youtube. hope this helps.

Henrysyy
03-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Okay then. I've decided to go with the 6230 then since I don't really know if my internet speed is fast enough to even need the 6300. Thank you. But now i have another problem. How do you put the chip into the laptop? I've been looking all over youtube for a guide to put it in, and no luck at all. The only thing I see closely related is the unboxing of the laptops.:confused: So do you think you can find one for me if possible? If not then just tell me a step by step process of which to open and install the chip.

mbart79
03-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Take the back cover off and you will see it poking out bottom left hand side. Has two wires attached to it which pop off. Undo the single screw and the whole card should lift up a bit. Note the angle it's sitting at as that's the same way it should be sitting to install. Reverse the steps for install.

Henrysyy
03-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Okay thank you. I'll do what you said. Just double checking before I order the card, which one should I order? They all look the same .
6230 IEEE 802.11n (draft) Bluetooth 3.0 - Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Combo Adapter (Bulk)
or
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 Wifi Half Mini Wireless Plug-In Card Data Transfer Rate 300 Bps
Actually if someone could send me a link or something of the specific part off amazon, or newegg. Since I can't tell which one is the right one to get, It would be greatly appriciated.;)

Boosted_R
03-09-2012, 03:19 AM
http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=20642

Henrysyy
03-13-2012, 07:03 PM
okay now that the order came in and i got the card. i heard i should download the driver? where do i get that at ? i can feel im almost done . :D thanks everyone for the help so far

BrodyBoy
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
okay now that the order came in and i got the card. i heard i should download the driver? where do i get that at ? i can feel im almost done . :D thanks everyone for the help so far
An Intel card? You can download the latest driver here (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20791/eng/Wireless_14.3.0.6_Ds64.exe). There are two options....the bare driver (which is the only part you actually need), and the driver + PROSet Wireless utility software.

So, download the driver and have it ready. COMPLETELY uninstall the old WLAN driver before you power down and do the physical swap. Then, after you re-start, Windows will detect the new device and say that it can't find a driver for it. Then you can install the Intel driver.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74 Hardware/WLANswap.jpg

Henrysyy
03-13-2012, 11:46 PM
okay . did everything and got it all set up . thanks everyone . but with the atheros card i got a constant 4 bars and 90 mbps . now with the intel 6230 i get 5 bars but 72 mbps. what does that mean ?

BrodyBoy
03-13-2012, 11:54 PM
okay . did everything and got it all set up . thanks everyone . but with the atheros card i got a constant 4 bars and 90 mbps . now with the intel 6230 i get 6 bars but 72 mbps. what does that mean ?
Sounds like you're getting a strong signal, but your settings may be limiting the throughput. Are you using WEP or WPA security on your wireless network? (You need to be using WPA or WPA2.)

Check the settings in your router, and make sure that the "Advanced" settings for the Intel driver match. In particular, set channel width to Auto (rather than a specific width), make sure 802.11n mode is Enabled, and set Preferred Band to your actual network type.

(I am assuming that you are running an 802.11n network....do you know whether you're router is single-stream, i.e., 150Mbps, or dual-stream?)

Henrysyy
03-14-2012, 01:18 AM
okay my security is WPA2
Everything is also already set to what you said in the Advanced settings .
but the last part i dont know what my router is .
also how do you check what type of router is it ?