PDA

View Full Version : You did it !!

chrsplmr
03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Fantastic .... hats off ... i know all were sweating this out.

MarshallR++ and to all you keyboard slaves ... Thank You.c.

Area 66
03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
finally... I don't eat and sleep since last Friday

Vrwings
03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Ok, so what happened? Solar Flair? Server Water Block failure? Wire Mites?

Vrwings
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
It may take me all day to recover too:cool:

Area 66
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Ok, so what happened? Solar Flair? Server Water Block failure? Wire Mites?

They move the server but they forget the power cord...

HalloweenWeed
03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Well I missed the forum, for 3 days (+), although I did not have a personal application use for it. TB moved overseas, just another tiny nail in the US economy coffin.

Area 66
03-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Well I missed the forum, for 3 days (+), although I did not have a personal application use for it. TB moved overseas, just another tiny nail in the US economy coffin.

Homeland stop peoples to go in but not to go out..... speaking of coffin, we had a shop here who make coffins before, it was purchase by a US company and they close it to bring operation in US, this is the reason I refuse to die.

kb0sdq
03-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Wow glad the site is back up. My blood pressure is returning to normal.
And now may the ROG_n resume
Happy ROG_n
Doug

mdzcpa
03-14-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm glad to see the ROG site back in action.

chrsplmr
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
although some of the issues remain ... so... i thought we moved this .. while it was down .. but..

when we dump'n this server ???

They are not ROG worthy ... they dont seem to mind losing .. or they
have a different agenda ... either way ... Not ROG.

If I were MarshallR .. i would be semi-postal by now ... id be on the
hunt (as i am sure he is) for the bottom of this barrel ... somebodies
butt would be hang'n over the door as a warning to any other
'sleeper cells' .... or whatever is going on ...
i guess i am implying or saying straight up .... nothing goes this
wrong this consistently without help .... someone is playing for
the 'other' team .... or their own .....hunt down and smother ..yes, no hahahaha 'kill'... c.

_
03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
We're changing servers at the end of next week. I didn't actually do anything but poke the webteam, who are right now propping it up hour by hour. Hopefully by the last week of this month everything is strawberries and waffles.

DaemonCantor
03-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I could imagine that happening but...I also see another side to it as well, vB software is CRAP! almost as bad as AI Suite II...But that's for the Masters to work out! My only hope is that one day Asus will wake from it's slumber and really start supporting R. O. G. It's not just the people that own it but all things that go with it as well, Like this Forum, the Drivers, Tech Support and so on. I hate to say it But maybe they should look at EVGA and take a hint or two. They have world Class Tech support, an Exclusive section on the Forums for Black Edition Owners, Exclusive Merchandise, and all kinds of other little Doo hickies and things for their Customers that pay the BIG DOLLAR for the BEST they have to OFFER!

BTW Marshall Thank to for getting this back up! I was sure that your staff was in the KILL mode and almost had given up on the ROG forums.

Area 66
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
We're changing servers at the end of next week. I didn't actually do anything but poke the webteam, who are right now propping it up hour by hour. .

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/poke.jpg

DaemonCantor
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Good one!...ROFL!

Area 66
03-14-2012, 01:35 PM
. Hopefully by the last week of this month everything is strawberries and waffles.

You need Canadian Mapple Syrop too..... ( this tread make me eat more )

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/area-s.jpg

xeromist
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
vB software is CRAP!

You keep saying this but I've seen plenty of vb forums that were stable. Whatever has been happening to our forum isn't as a result of a software bug in the stock release.

Area 66
03-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm still experiencing the same error, time to time for a short period

DaemonCantor
03-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes I do, considering that I could go through a list of about 100 forums that switched including my own and yes I was paying for the software just as this forum is vB isn't free as you know, you do have to pay for it. I myself prefer to have Open Source written in php or C++ but there are very few of those around and because of that they do tend to be a LOT better and have a lot more support from a community. I thought you would have know all of this xero considering your expertise. I'll give you one thing, the locations using vB are mostly larger businesses and number in only the hundreds where as the Open Sources Forums number in the Thousands.

xeromist, no I'm not trying to put you down or anything but please quit trying to treat me like a n00b considering like yourself I'm also an experienced Tech and I do respect you and your comments.

xeromist
03-14-2012, 07:28 PM
No, you're not a noob and that's not what I'm saying. You're an experienced guy who has an especially noticeable grudge against vb. :D People in IS/IT(myself included) often have the mentality to tear things out when they are perceived less than optimal but often the best _business_ descision is to make the existing system work better. The point I'm making is that vb works fine when installed and configured properly so the problems we're having aren't due to any inherent software bug. I'd rather see ASUS get the existing forum working than to tear it out and start over. We've been there and it's no fun.

------------------------------
Incidentally I saw the exact opposite of your experiences happen so it's not completely cut & dry. I was part of a community (no longer exists) who had an older PHPbb that was getting long in the tooth. We considered upgrading but decided to also review other options as well. One guy was hot for SMF so he set up a test box. It was ugly and several things didn't work. That's not to say that it can't be made streamlined or that recent versions aren't better, but it's not magic. We looked at a few other free options but saw some of the existing modules available for vb, support from a business interested in keeping customers happy, and since it really didn't cost that much we decided to give it a try. It worked...out of the box. People were happy (except for the guy that wanted SMF:p).

DaemonCantor
03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
True, I see your point, I'm not all that happy with most of them but PHPbb was pretty good except when it came to security and also the reason I supported smF. As you say none of them are really great and yes it would be a major undertaking to change. I can see the future isn't too bright for these forums unless someone takes up the Programming challenge and fixes whatever bugs do exist whether it's in the Software or the Database doesn't matter it just needs to be addressed and taken care of. My grudge is that I spent around $4000 over the period of 2 years on vB only to switch to a Free base that actually worked. Yes I was understandably upset trying to run a forum for my customers that cost me an arm and a leg just to find out that a free solution was better than a Paid Contract. Eventually with help from some of my customers I did get a totally custom forum built and it lasted for almost 5 years without hardly any problems.

chrsplmr
03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
The only logical explanation is some person or persons are working as
hard at damaging this forum as all those 'propping it up hour by hour' [[ a giant cudos to all of them. ]]

Security !!!.... See what happens when you do away with the ROG Police.... umm hehe ?

This kind of ongoing nonsense is not an accident ... I know right where I would start to look ..
but would not speculate .... out loud. You will give yourself(ves) away soon enough I suspect.

I think it may be to corrupt to just move.
I hate to say it ... but ... Start over fresh. [[vomits]]c.

Area 66
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
I think it may be to corrupt to just move.
I hate to say it ... but ... Start over fresh. [[vomits]]c.

You will loose your Black Belt ?

xeromist
03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
The only logical explanation is some person or persons are working as
hard at damaging this forum as all those 'propping it up hour by hour' [[ a giant cudos to all of them. ]]

Perhaps. We don't really know how the admins are handling things or even the root cause of these issues. They could be beyond the control of the admins.

I will admit there is a tendency in software development and support to deploy changes directly to production when people are screaming for fixes (I'm guilty of this). Most of the time it means you can put out a fire but sometimes it causes more harm than good. Ideally there needs to be an identical test instance where all changes are thoroughly vetted first but that takes time and effort that delays fixing the next problem in the pipeline so then people complain that fixes/updates come too slow. It doesn't help when you have a worldwide userbase hitting distributed servers as this is exceedingly difficult to synthesize for testing.

_
03-15-2012, 01:51 AM
It's not a security issue; security holes you patch. It's a fundamental technical issue with the server, hence why we need to move it asap.

Area 66
03-15-2012, 02:10 AM
The new server is on the way

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/500x_missile_silo_apple_logo2_01.jpg

chrsplmr
03-15-2012, 02:24 AM
MarshallR ... thank you. ROG it til its straight.

When ? Is this scheduled ? You will announce a date, ect...?
So I take it from your response .. that a security issue has
been eliminated from a possibility ? whew !! thats a relief ...
the thought of someone working against this from 'inside'
.......... well...postal comes to mind.

hahhahaa.... i heard ya ... no one is more postal over this than you..

icbm? hahhahaa ... with an apple on it ... i wont go there ..hehhee.
but there is every nightmare i have ever had ... i knew it. the plot revealed...
and the silo is open ?... that cant be good.it never has been in the past.c.

Vrwings
03-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Is that an intel apple launch vehicle or a greeting to the target? :o

Area 66
03-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Don't know I find it cute. I was trying to find a pic of Wild E. pressing the instant delivery button , but I don't find it.

chrsplmr
03-15-2012, 01:35 PM
OK ... im sea sick already ...

Only one question ..... WHEN ? Please .. i know .. i know ..

shutting up now ... grumble ... grumble ....

Area 66
03-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Start to be really annoying this citation, I worry every time I click ROG in my favorites bar, or when I compose a post and I press reply.

YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ASAP

HiVizMan
03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
You should try it from my seat 66 bloody hell it is driving me nuts mate.

Area 66
03-15-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't even seat, I check before to not loose my time.

( Don't get me too seriously, I know peoples do their best. )

Vrwings
03-21-2012, 05:10 PM
We're Back:)

Area 66
03-21-2012, 05:51 PM
cross your fingers .....lol this time if it crash again some head will fall, Hiviz is ready, he purchase an accessory today

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/31vIx-vWX4L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Giannis996
03-22-2012, 12:47 PM
yea yea yea i have been waiting the site to come up for days!!!!!!