PDA

View Full Version : G74SX windows 7 ultimate 64x problem

zdochliak
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I have bought G74sx last year in sumer the first day I claim it back because it had damaged HDD, now I have the same problem, but this time I know how to fix it. But I need to reinstal windows. Can someone pls upload those 5 DVD of backup or restore, so I can download them. Canīt wait a whole month for service, because I need it for ArchyCAD for my BC. work.
PLS someone contact me, here is my email martintrbola@gmail.com

THX.

BrodyBoy
03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
You can do a factory restore from the recovery partition on your hard drive, using F9 at power-up. You're not apt to find an upload of the 25Gb recovery partition, which is what that DVD set is. Heck, I have a hard time finding a file sharing option that allows anything bigger than 1Gb files, and 5Gbs total (since the MegaUpload fiasco scared all the sharing services).....so uploading those huge images just isn't an option.

If you don't have a recovery partition or recovery disks, you're left with two options: (1) buy the recovery media from Asus for $50, or (2) do a clean Windows install (using a downloaded installer ISO). In the second scenario, you must install all the drivers and software you want manually, so it's not going to be the same as the OEM installation, but it's a clean and, usually, more stable installation.

ColonelS
03-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Yea use the recovery partition on your hard drive if you can. But correct me if im wrong the recovery is home premium right?

BrodyBoy
03-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Yea use the recovery partition on your hard drive if you can. But correct me if im wrong the recovery is home premium right?
Yeah, it is for most of us, I think. There was an owner in the UK whose G74 came with Ultimate, so apparently, some of those configurations are out there. If that happens to be the OP's situation, I would think that a recovery should restore that edition for him.

(Just occurred to me: If he bought an upgrade, would his upgrade key simply unlock the restored HP edition again? I haven't used a Windows upgrade in ages, so I'm not too familiar with the limitations on those keys.)

MrRuckus
03-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah, it is for most of us, I think. There was an owner in the UK whose G74 came with Ultimate, so apparently, some of those configurations are out there. If that happens to be the OP's situation, I would think that a recovery should restore that edition for him.

(Just occurred to me: If he bought an upgrade, would his upgrade key simply unlock the restored HP edition again? I haven't used a Windows upgrade in ages, so I'm not too familiar with the limitations on those keys.)

This sounds correct. I upgraded to Ultimate and it was simply putting in my Ultimate key and windows did the upgrade without issue. Any Ultimate key would work if Im not mistaken. In Control Panel there is a specific icon for upgrading. I cant remember the exact name. It seems to go away once you upgrade to Ultimate as I dont have it anymore.

BrodyBoy
03-16-2012, 12:42 AM
This sounds correct. I upgraded to Ultimate and it was simply putting in my Ultimate key and windows did the upgrade without issue. Any Ultimate key would work if Im not mistaken. In Control Panel there is a specific icon for upgrading. I cant remember the exact name. It seems to go away once you upgrade to Ultimate as I dont have it anymore.
It's called Windows Anytime Upgrade, and yes, that's what I was referring to. The upgrade key that you purchased unlocked the Ultimate features in your existing installation, presumably Home Premium (assuming that's what you had before). To be clear, that's a specific kind of product key that upgrades from one edition to another....the other kinds of Ultimate keys (Retail, OEM) would not allow you to do the same thing.

I was just wondering if your upgrade key will let you upgrade again if you had to restore your OEM installation for some reason. I assume that it would, but if you ever have cause to test this, let us know! :)