PDA

View Full Version : screen upgrade for g74sx-bbk8

hungsohlo
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Was wondering if anyone tried this. Thinking about upgrading the screen to a 1920x1080 non 3d screen. the stock 1600x900 is a good res but the viewing angles and contrast ratios are horrible. Been shopping around and as long as its the non 3d version the connector should be exactly the same. Any thoughts?

hungsohlo
03-21-2012, 05:20 PM
bump - new to these boards so not for sure how long it normally takes for a reply.

BrodyBoy
03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the Forum. (Which has been a complete mess for the last 2-3 weeks, so slow response it probably because not many people are around right now.)

The screen upgrade is certainly doable, and I can understand why you want to do it. (Those viewing angles are awful....) The trick, though, is getting a replacement panel that's as much of an upgrade as you'd like. There are lots of afforadable laptop screens available these days, but they can vary significantly in quality.

The panel that Asus uses in the G74 Full HD configurations is outstanding, so if you can find one of those, that's the one you want. If you can't, I would try to select one where you can read actual user reviews for the specific model you're considering.....don't just assume that any compatible 1920x1080 panel will be okay. They'll all have the higher resolution, of course, but cheaper options may have the same crappy contrast & viewing angles as your current panel.

Aside from panel size and type (LED backlit), the important spec to watch for is connector placement. Laptops are designed to run their video cable either up the left or right hinge, and to connect on one side or the other on the back of the panel. (I don't think there are panels with connectors in the middle, but maybe I've just never seen them....) To ensure a proper fit, the panel must have its connector in the same place your current panel does.

hungsohlo
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah I made sure of the connectors before ordering. The one I ordered is the N173HGE-L11. Supposedly the exact same one as in the dell xps 17 and the Sager NP8170. So it should be leaps and bounds better. Ill post how it goes for others reference. The same company that I purchased from actually has a ribbion incase your connector is on the other side of the screen - costs about 8 bucks.

hungsohlo
03-22-2012, 12:59 AM
one last bump - anyone else tried this?

BrodyBoy
03-22-2012, 01:14 AM
one last bump - anyone else tried this?
What exactly do you need to know? (Yes, others have upgraded their screens. If you search the forum, you will find other threads about it.)