PDA

View Full Version : ROG button on my laptop?

AdelaisAer
03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I am actually surprised I never bothered to ask this until now. :confused:

Next to the power button is a ROG button. :S What exactly does it do? And I don't wanna just randomly press it.

Symho
03-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Next to the power button is a ROG button. :S What exactly does it do? And I don't wanna just randomly press it.

It is a switch between every Asus Power manager.

fuzon1337
03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Also I think that it can be used to boot into Asus Express Gate when it's not on.... I think I read that in this forum somewhere.... but I could be wrong about this.

n1ghtl1fe
03-21-2012, 06:07 PM

it changes power settings through asus's Power4Gear software. cool feature but Ive had problems with the software conflicting other drivers. I personally leave it uninstalled.

It would be nice if we had a way to reprogram the button though, maybe to cycle through windows default power settings.

AdelaisAer
03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Also I think that it can be used to boot into Asus Express Gate when it's not on.... I think I read that in this forum somewhere.... but I could be wrong about this.

I have Asus Express Gate installed, but I am not sure what it does. :S

n1ghtl1fe
03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
express gate is another asus software that lets you boot into a media player without fully powering up your laptop. Good for dvds and such, your battery lasts longer

fuzon1337
03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I have Asus Express Gate installed, but I am not sure what it does. :S

Not sure about how to explain how the Asus Express Gate works, perhaps this site http://expressgate.asus.com/ can give you some answers.

I have never used it my self since I uninstalled it when I got my notebook, since it is categorized as bloatware.

But you could give it a try to see if it works :)

AdelaisAer
03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Mmm, I see. Thanks, you two. :D

tirezege
03-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Hi guys,

That button is supposed to change between 3D and 2D options. But it doesn't do that with the bios which the laptop comes with. You should upgrade the bios to .203 version, and the ROG button will gain it's actual function:)

fn+space button anyway changes between the power modes so, you would agree there is no need for 2 button configurations for the same function.

Also, when the laptop is turned off, if you turn on your laptop by using the ROG button, the laptop starts the Express Gate as you mentioned. It is like another operating system, which you can basically connect to internet, chat on skype and play basic games and stuff. So it somehow lets you get what you need faster, if you only need to check let's say, an adress on google maps:)

To sum up, upgrade your bios. Life will be better.

fuzon1337
03-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Hi guys,

That button is supposed to change between 3D and 2D options. But it doesn't do that with the bios which the laptop comes with. You should upgrade the bios to .203 version, and the ROG button will gain it's actual function:)

Just want to correct you a little. This depends if it is a 3D model or not. ;)
But it's also correct that the button doesn't work unless you flash the BIOS on the notebook to the latest version.

If the notebook comes with the lates version, then it could be a driver issue (ATK package)

380mcn
03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
With the laptop powered off: it starts Asus Express Gate Cloud
With the laptop powered on in windows: it changes the power management. In my case it doesn't do anything because i installed windows from 0, and there is NO GAIN in having asus power 4 gear installed. the battery lasts the same, and it is one less program running in background.