PDA

View Full Version : G74SX - Keyboard Keys

Axl.i
03-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Heya,

This is my first forum post on this website. I thought I would post here as I'm having some problems with my G74SX.
Thought I might find a few good suggestions from the community here, so here goes:

Basically, I have a problem with the keyboard on the laptop. When I press down said keys, it does not recognise the key-press. So I was going to ask if someone knew how-to remove the keyboard on the G74SX and check for errors, or how to say.

I have to press down the keys rather hard for the keyboard to recognise them. Pretty much "hitting/slamming" your fingers down on the keys, especially on the edges- sometimes even in the middle. If you're writing/chatting normally, a lot of keys gets ignored, as you didn't press them down hard enough/or wasn't very precise.

So I decided to come here and ask the community for help, any suggestions/tips would be gladly be appreciated! :)
Thanks so far~

rmcsc
03-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Is this with a specific set of keys of with all of the keys in the keyboard?

Axl.i
03-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Is this with a specific set of keys of with all of the keys in the keyboard?

Heya :)

It's mostly the keys on the left side of the keyboard for the most part, Q, W, E, R, A, S, D, F, Z, X, C, V - that requires the extra press down and precision (in the middle of the key). If you press on the edge it won't get recognised at all, if you don't "slam" your finger on the edges.. or how to explain.

StefanLundmark
03-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I do not have this issue, but I do agree the keyboard is my biggest complaint so far. If I press down any key and keep it down, it will register as being let-go sometimes even though I'm still pressing.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
03-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I have this same issue with having to press the keys a bit harder. I'm a fast typer at 120WPM and I have to force myself to type much slower in order for all keys to register. :/ The touchpad is complete garbage as well. Works for 5 minutes and then starts going haywire. A restart normally resolves but I've just disabled it all together.

300mph
03-25-2012, 04:36 PM
ASUS, are you listening?

Many posts here about this keyboard. I have posted, others have posted, and we all would like an answer. This keyboard has a horribly bad mechanical design. please fix it and retrofit or computers.

dstrakele
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
The G74SX BIOS, ATK Package version, DPC Latency, Browser and Keyboard configuration can contribute to missed keystrokes and keyboard lag. Here is what I did to improve keyboard performance: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3076-G74SX-Keyboard-Issues-ATK-1.0.00010-BIOS-202-Available-(SOLVED)&p=44735&viewfull=1#post44735

There is no doubt there are also hardware keyboard issues. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9245-Cause-of-unresponsive-sluggish-keys-on-G74 discusses a workaround to "hard to press" keys. But it is better to test the keyboard when you first get the laptop and exchange it for one without hardware keyboard issues (believe or not, they do exist). If exchanges fail, exercise your return for refund option. Give the problems back to ASUS and the retailer.