PDA

View Full Version : Intel centrino wireless -N 6150

gilbert
03-23-2012, 08:01 AM
hey guys i need some help , i have the N6150 and i need help to solve my problem for some reason all my downloads are slow , my internet pages load slow, im using the latest drivers at asus v15.0.1.1 , the weird thing is that my girlfriends asus has the Atheros AR9285 and its a lot faster then mine with the same connection , can somebody shade some light on the matter ...

I even used my cell data 3g on my girlfriends laptop my laptop was on wifi and still hers was faster more kb per seconds same file i started downloading the file first 5 minutes before i started the file download on hers and hers finish 14 minutes before mine did ....what am i doing wrong ????????

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi

That driver you have downloaded from Asus support, is not the right driver for Centrino 6150. (Since I say that is because it doesn't describe which model it is for).

Download the right driver from Intel.com (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21045&ProdId=3312&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=%0ASoftware%20Applications%0A) (direct link to download the file)

Uninstall the existing driver, reboot, and install the driver from intel, then you should be up to go :)

I hope this helps.

gilbert
03-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi

That driver you have downloaded from Asus support, is not the right driver for Centrino 6150. (Since I say that is because it doesn't describe which model it is for).

Download the right driver from Intel.com (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21045&ProdId=3312&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=%0ASoftware%20Applications%0A) (direct link to download the file)

Uninstall the existing driver, reboot, and install the driver from intel, then you should be up to go :)

I hope this helps.

Thx that driver worked perfect a big speed increase in Page Loading and File Download .......

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm glad that you get the speed you wanted from the Intel Centrino card :)

I know how it feels when downloading something and it goes very slow or waiting for a page load is frustrating :P

gilbert
03-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm glad that you get the speed you wanted from the Intel Centrino card :)

I know how it feels when downloading something and it goes very slow or waiting for a page load is frustrating :P
yeah thx again , hey do you think the Atheros card is better then the Intel one ? or what would b the best card that i can upgrade my g74sx with ?

BrodyBoy
03-23-2012, 05:35 PM
A better Intel card would be the best upgrade. Many owners opt for the 6230 or 6300, depending on whether they want bluetooth. (6230 has it, 6300 doesn't.)

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 05:46 PM
A better Intel card would be the best upgrade. Many owners opt for the 6230 or 6300, depending on whether they want bluetooth. (6230 has it, 6300 doesn't.)

As @BrodyBoy says either 6230 or 6300 :)

Info about Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6230.html)
Info about Intel Ultimate-N 6300 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-ultimate-n-6300.html)
if you want to read about the difference between these cards :) (and keep in mind that 6230 has bluetooth and 6300 doesn't)

gilbert
03-23-2012, 06:10 PM
As @BrodyBoy says either 6230 or 6300 :)

Info about Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6230.html)
Info about Intel Ultimate-N 6300 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-ultimate-n-6300.html)
if you want to read about the difference between these cards :) (and keep in mind that 6230 has bluetooth and 6300 doesn't)

well the bluetooth is only for mouses and stuff like that that i don't use and besides the 6300 gets more mbps looks to me that 6300 is a better option what do you think?

gilbert
03-23-2012, 06:12 PM
A better Intel card would be the best upgrade. Many owners opt for the 6230 or 6300, depending on whether they want bluetooth. (6230 has it, 6300 doesn't.) what about the killer n1103 adapter is that better then our intel 6300 they both have the same mbps...

BrodyBoy
03-23-2012, 06:21 PM
what about the killer n1103 adapter is that better then our intel 6300 they both have the same mbps...
Killer cards have Atheros chips....which means sketchy driver support. I don't like Atheros-based WLAN cards, for that very reason.

But more importantly, it's important to understand what "Mbps" means.....you will only get what your router supports. If you have a single-stream, 150Mbps router, you can only get 150Mbps from ANY of these cards. If your router is dual-stream (this is not the same as dual-band), the most you can get from ANY upgrade card is 300Mbps, no matter whether they are rated higher or not.

The point is, you are limited to the speed of the slowest component in your network infrastructure. If you have a 300Mbps router, your Intel 6150 is currently the slowest component. If you upgrade to, say, an Intel 6300 or the Killer with that 300 Mbps router, you will still get, at most, 300Mbps.

gilbert
03-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Killer cards have Atheros chips....which means sketchy driver support. I don't like Atheros-based WLAN cards, for that very reason.

But more importantly, it's important to understand what "Mbps" means.....you will only get what your router supports. If you have a single-stream, 150Mbps router, you can only get 150Mbps from ANY of these cards. If your router is dual-stream (this is not the same as dual-band), the most you can get from ANY upgrade card is 300Mbps, no matter whether they are rated higher or not.

The point is, you are limited to the speed of the slowest component in your network infrastructure. If you have a 300Mbps router, your Intel 6150 is currently the slowest component. If you upgrade to, say, an Intel 6300 or the Killer with that 300 Mbps router, you will still get, at most, 300Mbps.

im currently using a belking n750 with up to 450mbps and my internet plan is 55mbps with cox what card should i get ?

BrodyBoy
03-23-2012, 06:53 PM
im currently using a belking n750 with up to 450mbps and my internet plan is 55mbps with cox what card should i get ?
Honestly, I'd just go for something that'll give you a stable 300Mbps....that would be one of the two Intel cards previously mentioned, unless you really like that Killer card.

If you actually wanted to try and get something close to that router's theoretical max speed, you would need to get the Intel 6300 or the Killer, and you would need to install a third hi-gain antenna in your G74. Doing this properly, i.e., routing it into the lid, is not impossible but it's a significant undertaking. (Some people go "simple" and route it into the lower chassis, but this usually results in a performance hit.)

Even then, 450Mbps networks have not lived up to the hype...they're fragile and seldom spike to their top speeds. If you were to get a good, reliable 300Mbps card and your router is placed for good coverage in your home, you should be able to consistently get between 240 and 300Mbps. That's a great wireless connection. :) And it's a very easy, very cheap upgrade. (No disassembly of the chassis or screen, no extra components to buy....)

The only other consideration is whether you want bluetooth. The G74 doesn't accommodate a separate BT card, so if you want it, it must be integrated into the WLAN card. I don't recall whether the Killer option is available with BT, but in the Intels, you'd want the 6230 if you need BT.

gilbert
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Honestly, I'd just go for something that'll give you a stable 300Mbps....that would be one of the two Intel cards previously mentioned, unless you really like that Killer card.

If you actually wanted to try and get something close to that router's theoretical max speed, you would need to get the Intel 6300 or the Killer, and you would need to install a third hi-gain antenna in your G74. Doing this properly, i.e., routing it into the lid, is not impossible but it's a significant undertaking. (Some people go "simple" and route it into the lower chassis, but this usually results in a performance hit.)

Even then, 450Mbps networks have not lived up to the hype...they're fragile and seldom spike to their top speeds. If you were to get a good, reliable 300Mbps card and your router is placed for good coverage in your home, you should be able to consistently get between 240 and 300Mbps. That's a great wireless connection. :) And it's a very easy, very cheap upgrade. (No disassembly of the chassis or screen, no extra components to buy....)

The only other consideration is whether you want bluetooth. The G74 doesn't accommodate a separate BT card, so if you want it, it must be integrated into the WLAN card. I don't recall whether the Killer option is available with BT, but in the Intels, you'd want the 6230 if you need BT.

wow so there is more work to it then just swaping the cards, i was hoping it was just a simple swap ,is there a tutorial with pics or videos on how to do this ? i would like to get the 6300 , i seen a couple at ebay but it says that there are only for lenovo or dell where do i get one for my g74sx?

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Could you make a link to the cards you're looking at and I can help you with that :).... Or as long the cards look like in the picture on the info site I posted earlier, then it would fit. I don't think there is any specific ones for the G74.

Also a link with pictures, how to remove WiFi card (http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525). You have to scroll down, but not much before you come to the pictures :)

It's easy to change the cards, the only thing you need to remember when you do this is:
Download new software for new the WiFi card and have it ready after you changed cards
Remove software for the WiFi card
Reboot
Install the drivers for new WiFi card
:)

gilbert
03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Could you make a link to the cards you're looking at and I can help you with that :).... Or as long the cards look like in the picture on the info site I posted earlier, then it would fit. I don't think there is any specific ones for the G74.

Also a link with pictures, how to remove WiFi card (http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525). You have to scroll down, but not much before you come to the pictures :)

It's easy to change the cards, the only thing you need to remember when you do this is:
Download new software for new the WiFi card and have it ready after you changed cards
Remove software for the WiFi card
Reboot
Install the drivers for new WiFi card
:)

i was looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-half-WiFi-Link-Ultimate-N-6300-pci-card-633ANHMW-/320585177265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa45d98b1#ht_3471wt_908 but if you look closely it has 3 connectors and my intel centrino wireless+wimax-N6150 only has 2 ?

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 08:52 PM
About the third antenna I don't think you need to worry about that.

In this forum (notebookreview) (http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/627052-question-about-changing-wireless-card-asus-g74sx.html) the post 3 says it works better then any atheors card with or without the third antenna.

You have the possibility to insert the third antenna yourself, but I don't know how to do that or what kind of antenna cable you need =/

EDIT: so what I'm saying is that it fits and will work with 2 antennas :) hehe

gilbert
03-23-2012, 08:59 PM
About the third antenna I don't think you need to worry about that.

In this forum (notebookreview) (http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/627052-question-about-changing-wireless-card-asus-g74sx.html) the post 3 says it works better then any atheors card with or without the third antenna.

You have the possibility to insert the third antenna yourself, but I don't know how to do that or what kind of antenna cable you need =/

EDIT: so what I'm saying is that it fits and will work with 2 antennas :) hehe

I'm guessing that the third antenna is what gives it the extra boost of speed because if i weren't to install the third antenna it would perform as a 6230 don't you think ? it would b great to find a tutorial of somebody who already did this or if somebody has replace theirs with the 6300 and only use 2 antennas what is the diff to the 6230........

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Yes, as I can find out, if you want to get the full speed from the WiFi card you'll need the third antenna then you will recieve 450Mbps.

But with the 2 antennas you got, it should at least get 150mbps (if not 300mbps).

And if you don't run WPA2 +AES as security on the router you will not recieve the full speed (to achieve 802.11n speeds)

Also I agree with you about that "it would be great to find a tutorial of somebody who already did this or if somebody has replace theirs with the 6300 and only use 2 antennas what is the diff to the 6230........"

Perhaps you could be the one who does it :cool:

EDIT: It seems like @BrodyBoy uses the Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300, so when he is on here again perhaps he will answer your questions better then me :)

EDIT2: Oh, I have done a typo on @BrodyBoy, sorry for that :(

gilbert
03-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Yes, as I can find out, if you want to get the full speed from the WiFi card you'll need the third antenna then you will recieve 450Mbps.

But with the 2 antennas you got, it should at least get 150mbps (if not 300mbps).

And if you don't run WPA2 +AES as security on the router you will not recieve the full speed (to achieve 802.11n speeds)

Also I agree with you about that "it would be great to find a tutorial of somebody who already did this or if somebody has replace theirs with the 6300 and only use 2 antennas what is the diff to the 6230........"

Perhaps you could be the one who does it :cool:

EDIT: It seems like @BordyBoy uses the Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300, so when he is on here again perhaps he will answer your questions better then me :)
im hoping he did the 3 connectors because if i get the 6300 thats what i would do i wouldn't be happy with a 3 connectors card and only using 2.............. BORDYBOY whe need your imput on this matter.........

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I use the 6300, too, because it's a great card. But just to be clear, there's absolutely no point in adding the third antennae unless you are using an access point that supports three spatial streams. (The vast majority do not.) Again, this isn't a reason not to get the 6300, because it works great in two-stream networks as well, and has that upgradability built-in. But the third antenna in most networks is wasted.

Quote from this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4891-I-bought-a-new-intel-6300-wireless-kit-for-G74-but-..&)
From the looks as he is describing here, he doesn't have the third antenna installed. But I could be very wrong.

gilbert
03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote from this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4891-I-bought-a-new-intel-6300-wireless-kit-for-G74-but-..&)
From the looks as he is describing here, he doesn't have the third antenna installed. But I could be very wrong.

it sure looks like that's what he did just the two antennas , ok im ordering the 6300 as we speak .......

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Hmm... if you look at post #18 in the other thread, @BrodyBoy posted a pic with description about how to change the WiFi card :)

Then I hope you get satisfied with your new WiFi card when it arrives and that you notice the difference! :)

gilbert
03-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Hmm... if you look at post #18 in the other thread, @BrodyBoy posted a pic with description about how to change the WiFi card :)

Then I hope you get satisfied with your new WiFi card when it arrives and that you notice the difference! :)

i already bookmarked the thread for when the card gets here i will follow his instructions , thx for your help guys i will update you as soon as the card gets here in the meant time i need to find the most up to date drivers for the card ..

do you guys know if this are the correct/newer drivers and software for the ultimate 6300? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19516&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Here you go, stay tuned with this site Intel Support (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Centrino%c2%ae+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Centrino%c2%ae+Ultimate-N+6300&ProdId=3408&LineId=1784&FamilyId=1783) (directed to the Intel Centrino 6300 support)

BrodyBoy
03-23-2012, 11:14 PM
im hoping he did the 3 connectors because if i get the 6300 thats what i would do i wouldn't be happy with a 3 connectors card and only using 2.............. BORDYBOY whe need your imput on this matter.........
Hey there....life called and I disappeared for awhile! :)

Okay.....yes, I currently have the 6300 (in three different laptops!). I have tried it with both two and three antennas, and different routers (including a 3-stream 450Mbps router....though not your Belkin), and I found that two antennas and a good 2-stream 300Mbps router gives me the best result. By that, I mean the best combination of strong signal throughout my house, and speeds close to 300Mbps most of the time.

There is no advantage to adding the third antenna unless you plan to try and run it as a three-stream network. But as I suggested earlier, that may well not be worth the trouble. They have less range and are less stable, and they seldom attain those higher speeds. (This may just be a matter of the tech & consumer equipment needing to "mature" a bit....like when draft-n first came out.) The thing about that third antenna, in particular, is that placement is critical. Unless it's placed in the absolute optimal spot, the signal is compromised...the card will kick down to a slower speed and defeat the purpose of the whole effort. How many owners are really going to disassemble their laptops multiple times to keep re-routing a third antenna in an effort to find the best placement? (There's no "right" placement that applies to all cases....it depends entirely on the environment and all the other equipment in use.)

The 6300 works great as a 300Mbps card, using the two antennas already installed in your G74. And the swap is very easy. I think fuzon already referenced it, but here's my little "pic-tutorial":

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74 Hardware/WLANswap.jpg

BrodyBoy
03-23-2012, 11:16 PM
That driver you linked is not the best one....here's the current one: 14.3.1 (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21045/eng/Wireless_14.3.1_Ds64.exe)

gilbert
03-23-2012, 11:22 PM
I HAVE TO SAY AWESOME SUPPORT IN THIS FORUM , all there is left is to wait for the card itself , hopefully will be here in a couple of weeks thx guys and i will keep you posted.........

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 11:46 PM
A couple of weeks to deliver a product :S ? Then I would consider to change retailer to get it faster :P

gilbert
03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
A couple of weeks to deliver a product :S ? Then I would consider to change retailer to get it faster :P

well in the notes said that i should receive it by 3/26 /2012 on Monday but that is just an approximation , anyways well see what happens ..........

fuzon1337
03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
But that is only few days until you get it? Or am I reading the date wrong :S ? :P

gilbert
03-24-2012, 12:57 AM
But that is only few days until you get it? Or am I reading the date wrong :S ? :P

correct 3 days to b exact , i doubt it but lets hope so i think is too soon though ........

fuzon1337
03-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Hehe, the card will probably be delivered by mail, and if they ship soon enough it will be delivered to you on monday.... :)

gilbert
03-29-2012, 12:40 AM
UPDATE: ok guys i got my n6300 yesterday and after testing the card for 2 days, I have to say it is one of the best upgrades for the money i ever done , the card almost double the speed of my downloads/page loading and file uploads, I have to say i recommend this easy cheap upgrade for everybody ......installation was really really easy and installing drivers took no time at all, after 2 minutes i was up and running thx guys for all your help ....

BrodyBoy
03-29-2012, 03:25 AM
UPDATE: ok guys i got my n6300 yesterday and after testing the card for 2 days, I have to say it is one of the best upgrades for the money i ever done , the card almost double the speed of my downloads/page loading and file uploads, I have to say i recommend this easy cheap upgrade for everybody ......installation was really really easy and installing drivers took no time at all, after 2 minutes i was up and running thx guys for all your help ....
That's great! Glad you're happy with it, and I couldn't agree more.....one of the best (and easiest) bang-for-the-buck upgrades you can do. :)

evga
03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Hey, did you fix an new antenna for your wireless card , because it has 3 antenna's and the old 6230 has only two.
I did the same upgrade with my g73 with an killer 1103 ,and installed the 3rd antenna under my odd bay , now the signal strenth is very much higher , and i bet if you install 3rd antenna you will also experiance this change., I bought the 3rd antenna from ebay for 4$ shipped.

Vinter
07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi guys, first of all thanks for sharing your experiences and helping all ROG owners getting their stuff working.

Now, I have just purchased an intel n6300. My big question is, what kind of antennas are you using with it? It is dual band, so common sense dictates it should use 2.4/5 ghz antennas, but those are not easy to get and much more expensive than normal 2.4 ghz antennas.

Any words on this?

EDIT: Just noticed this is the G notebooks forums.. I am using this wireless adapter on my Maximus V gene's mPCI. So i was referring to external antennas.