PDA

View Full Version : G53SX Hanging at shutdown screen and sometimes hangs at startup

brianwhite
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey guys so I have had this laptop since December 2011 then about a week ago it started hanging on the windows is shutting down screen

Just to let you know a little bit about myself I build/repair computers for a living so I have tried absolutely everything in my ability to check error logs and see what program is running in the background and there is no program running.

I have reformatted both of the 500gig hard drives and installed a fresh OS from the bios.

I have installed a Crucial m4 65 gig SSD to see if it was a hard drive issue. This was even worse because when I installed drivers from the disc(something I usually never do) I got error messages telling me I could only install "winflash and power 4 gear only on an Asus machine...which is a joke because the G53sx is obviously an Asus machine.

One thing I noticed is that when I first install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro X64 is that it will shut down and restart fine before I install drivers. Also it always hangs on installing the GTX 560m Nvidia drivers from the disc so I have to stop the program and install it manually.

At first I thought this might be the video card driver so I have tried doing a clean install of the last 3 drivers for this card up until 296.10 and still my problem persists.

I have flashed the BIOS on the laptop to v209 and still have the same problem.

Anyone that has any information please help me with any solutions and please don't tell me it's a windows related problem because It is definitely hardware related.

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi

I'm not sure what you have tried to fix the issue since you say you have tried everything :P

Have you tried to clean the register files ? And see if that fixes the issue? If no, download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check (run it until it doesn't find any old register files)

You have updated the WiFi card ? (if you got the atheros card it can cause a lot of trouble)

And you could try to turn of your notebook, take out the battery, hold down the power up button for 30 sec, then insert the battery again and see if there is any difference :)

I hope this helps :) (and that you already don't have done these suggestions :P)

brianwhite
03-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Thank you for your advice I will try and update the wifi card drivers.

As for running CCcleaner and doing a registry fix there is no need because I have done a clean install of windows 3 times already so I know there is nothing wrong with the registry.

I will try what you said about the power button as well. willing to try almost anything at this point. I loved this latop and if I cant get it to work properly then I am going to have to return it and get something that doesn't have these issues.

When I mean everything I mean i have checked 3 different ways to see if a background program was running.

I have tried installing 3 different nvidia drivers (clean installs0

I have tried installing an SSD and then doing a clean install of windows.

Once I install any the drivers from the disc provided by asus and reboot that is when all starts failing.

fuzon1337
03-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Okey, let us hope your problem gets fixed! :)

About CCleaner, when you run register check, it finds old files that the notebook doesn't need anymore and can cause the issue you're experiencing now... But this is totally up to you if you want to use that advice or not :)

brianwhite
03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Ok I have solved this issue after doing another clean install of windows.

I did a step by step installation of drivers and after each driver I did a shutdown and restart 3 times as I installed each driver.

When I installed the USB 2.0 card reader it "hung" at the windows is shutting down screen. :(

At this point I realized I had a Micro SD card adapter plugged in that slot but I did not have an actual Micro SD card plugged into the adapter. What I did was unplug that and then windows shut down. :)

Weird anomaly and I am guessing because without that card plugged in there is an open ground so-to-speak and thus windows would hang when trying to read that card slot or something.

I am just glad I got it fixed because there is nothing more annoying than a slow shutdown time or boot time on a $1200 laptop.

Still I would like to know why ASUS has a security feature setup so when I installed an SSD it would give me the error stating "I can only install this software on an ASUS machine" when I was trying to install Power for Gear, the screen saver and the Turbo Boost Monitor???

Thanks for your attempt at helping me but thought I should at least post my solution in case there is someone out there who did what I did.

I would have never put that adapter into the card reader had ASUS spent a penny on a blank plastic SD card like most laptops always include.

dstrakele
03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
You need to install the ASUS ATK Package to have the laptop recognized as an ASUS machine.

brianwhite
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM
You need to install the ASUS ATK Package to have the laptop recognized as an ASUS machine.

Good to know thanks.

fuzon1337
03-25-2012, 12:12 AM

1+ for this info.

I didn't know that you need to install the ATK package so the notebook can be detected as an Asus machine :)

@brianwhite it's good to see that you solved your problem. :)
have you been looking for a newer driver for the SD card reader? So you perhaps in the future can have the SD-card in that slot :) :P

I would have never put that adapter into the card reader had ASUS spent a penny on a blank plastic SD card like most laptops always include.

I think all the asus notebooks should come with a blank plastic SD card, I have one in my notebook...perhaps you're one of the unlucky ones who didn't get it ?

dstrakele
03-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Yeah - the ATK Package drivers control the function keys that interface with some of the applications, such as Power4Gear (i.e. allowing the ROG Button to switch between the P4G power profiles).

This codependent relationship is responsible for the warning about not being an ASUS laptop and keeps these applicatjons from being installed on other laptop brands. What's that? I can't hear ya over all the loud cheering... Quiet down, Brody!!!

PILGRIM
03-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Yeah - the ATK Package drivers control the function keys that interface with some of the applications, such as Power4Gear (i.e. allowing the ROG Button to switch between the P4G power profiles)...

+1 for that. I only wish the ATK Package could also recognize Fancy Start.

The thing is, a BIOS mod seems to be needed to activate Fancy Start.
My other lower-end ASUS notebooks have it. Beats me why this "little treat"
isn't activated in the G74. :mad: