PDA

View Full Version : GPU Voltage

NiMx1233
03-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry, I'm a newb here. I'm using Gigabyte GTX580 3GB, at stock, the GPU Clock and GPU Voltage are 772MHz and 1050mV repectively, and I increase the GPU Clock to 800MHz without increasing the voltage, will i face any shortage problem? What happens if I increase the GPU clock by a larger amount and not the GPU Voltage?

HiVizMan
03-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Nothing bad can happen to your card. If your card can not to the frequency without any additional voltage it will freeze or artefact.

Nothing permanent you simple change the frequency down or add some voltage.

Dishes
08-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Nothing bad can happen to your card. If your card can not to the frequency without any additional voltage it will freeze or artefact.

Nothing permanent you simple change the frequency down or add some voltage.

When you say "if your card can not to the frequency without any additional voltage it will freeze or artefact." what exactly does that mean? (I know a little about computers.. enough that i built my own, but i dont understand what you meant." Would I downloaded Nvidia Inspector after having some graphical issues in a few games, and i noticed my Voltage was very high. What sort of issues could this cause me, and how to i rectify this situation?

EDIT: I am aware this is an Asus topic, but i'm hoping there's a global fix i can do, if not i'll delete my post and attempt somewhere else

HiVizMan
08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Do not stress it if you are part of this forum you ask what ever you like. :)

How VGA's work is quite simple. Either they can do the frequency you have selected at that given voltage or they can not. If they can not do the frequency, there are a couple of things that will happen. The most common is that there will be artefacts and tearing when the frequency is on the very limit of the voltages. Either add more voltage, temperature considerations taken into account or dial back the frequency until the artefacts or tearing are no longer present. That simple. There is very little likelihood of permanent damage simply from increasing the frequency. There is likelihood of damage if you indiscriminately increase voltages. Voltage = increased heat. Heat and voltage kill.