PDA

View Full Version : G53S Blu Ray Problem

SIrChooCh
03-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Hey guys,
I recently bought a G53S rog laptop. It says it has a blu ray drive, and the cd drive is labeled as such. Under device manager it is listed as a : MATSHIBA BD_MLT UJ240AFW drive. Although it is labeled BluRay, I tried playing my friends Game of Thrones set and it would not read it, also tried a few others. Regular DVD's work fine though. Is the label on my drive misleading? it says all drivers are up to date but is there a special one I need to play blu rays? thanks for any help

dstrakele
03-24-2012, 04:14 PM
What player application are you using for the Blu-ray discs? I recommend trying PowerDVD Ultra 12. You can download a.free trial to troubleshoot.

SIrChooCh
03-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I tried using VLC and Windows media player. I really dont wanna have to pay for a video player

fuzon1337
03-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Which version of the VLC do you have ?

EDIT: VLC 2.0 supports blu-ray :)

dstrakele
03-24-2012, 04:42 PM
CinePlayer supports blu-ray and is pre-installed on ASUS laptops, but it is a buggy application and many report problems using it with blu-ray discs.

SIrChooCh
03-24-2012, 05:42 PM
I made sure i have version 2.0.1 of VLC and opening a bluray with VLC it read : Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:\'. Check the log for details

I do not see an option to open with Cinema. I bought this laptop slightly used, so it was possibly taken off for some reason.

dstrakele
03-24-2012, 06:24 PM
What does the VLC log file tell you?

You can download CinePlayer for your specific laptop model from the ASUS Support web site. It goes by the name SonicDVD.

PILGRIM
03-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Hi SIrChooCh.

My G74 also came with the stock MATSH1TA BD-MLT UJ240AFW.
As was mentioned, Forum members has been recommending 3 BD players:
PowerDVD Ultra 12, (stock) CinePlayer, and VLC 2.0 version.

Contrary to what others say about the CinePlayer being buggy, I'm not having
any problems with it so far. As dstrakele said, you might want to download it
and upgrade to 5.8.A06 version. It would be also useful to associate Blu-Ray or
3D file types, and change Region Control (if need be), in the Settings menu.

But for a better BD/3D player, buy the PowerDVD Ultra 12.

Side note: Windows Media Player doesn't support Blu-Ray.