PDA

View Full Version : Issue with G74SX Touch Pad

Chris84
03-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Hi guys, first time poster, only recently bought my frist ASUS laptop.

I have been researching the subject and I've only came accross a few people who have had the same predicament, that have posted about it anyway, as most seem to have issues with the touchpad sensitivity and other issues.

My issue is that from the moment I booted this machine up for the very first time the touchpad has not worked.
I've browsed the forums and tried the Sentellic driver, the Synaptics driver and differing versions of the drivers.
In device manager to even see it I need to enable the "show hidden hardware" and then it comes up with a code 24 - which I am led to believe is a hardware issue.

To their credit the place I bought it off (I'm in Australia btw) said "do a factory restore, if that doesn't fix the issue then box it up , send it back and we will send you out another one".

Does anyone have any suggested solutions?

I used to have a bit to do with computers, but it has been a long time since I went beneath the covers and I've never flashed a BIOS before.

If I get another one and its the same, should I just be thankfull that it doesn't work (no one seems to like them) or endeavour to fix it?

fuzon1337
03-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Hi there and Welcome to the ROG forum :)

My issue is that from the moment I booted this machine up for the very first time the touchpad has not worked.
I've browsed the forums and tried the Sentellic driver, the Synaptics driver and differing versions of the drivers.
In device manager to even see it I need to enable the "show hidden hardware" and then it comes up with a code 24 - which I am led to believe is a hardware issue.

From what I can understand is that you don't know who the manufactor on the touchpad is, since you have tried both Sentellic and Synaptics?

Right click on "computer" -> manage -> Device manager -> Click on "Mouse and and other pointing devices". Then you will see if you got either Synaptics or Sentellic.

I want you to uninstall that driver, and let Microsoft install their plug'n'play driver and see if that avtivates it :)

EDIT:

If I get another one and its the same, should I just be thankfull that it doesn't work (no one seems to like them) or endeavour to fix it?

They will send you another one (since it's a DOA situation unless you can fix the issue) and you should get the same issue on that one. The only thing you should be conserend about is the numlock key since that doesn't work as it should.... unless you're one of the lucky ones who has that working as it should :)

But if you have the oppertunity to change it, it would be the best. You shouldn't have issues when you start the notebook for the first time.

dstrakele
03-25-2012, 02:15 AM
I recommend keeping it simple. Do the ASUS Factory Restore. It will install Windows with the correct drivers. If the touchpad doesn't work, return the laptop and let the retailer and ASUS worry about it.

Chris84
03-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Definitely a synaptics, seen that bit in device manager.

I'll give the factory restore a go tomorrow and see how that goes.

I just recall reading that code 24 was for a hardware related issue.

BrodyBoy
03-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Definitely a synaptics, seen that bit in device manager.
Once you have tried both the Sentelic and Synaptics drivers, you can no longer rely on what you are seeing in Device Manager. Not only can the listed driver be wrong and not reflective of the hardware installed, but the Synaptics driver can even mess up the hardware ID, making it almost impossible to know for sure what you've got.

If you follow dstrakele's great advice below and do the factory restore, the restore process will properly detect the hardware and install the appropriate driver. It's a good idea to look in Device Manager right after the restore and see which touchpad and WLAN hardware you have (since these are the components that can vary in manufacturer). Then make sure you never install any other manufacturer's drivers for them.

For whichever touchpad you have, there will be newer drivers available (after the restore) if you are still experiencing issues and want to try them.

I recommend keeping it simple. Do the ASUS Factory Restore. It will install Windows with the correct drivers. If the touchpad doesn't work, return the laptop and let the retailer and ASUS worry about it.