PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Partitions - The Differences

Chris84
03-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Haing had a browse through the other thread I am going to do a restore to give this touchpad one last try before putting this back in the box.
Pictured below is what disk management currently recognises:

So I am guessing, and referring to the manual that I select "Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions" to keep everything looking this way?

Hoping this gives me a chance to fix the problem :(

dstrakele
03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I would choose Option 1: Recover Windows to 1st Partition Only. This would leave the DATA partition untouched. However, it looks like you haven't stored anything there yet.

Chris84
03-26-2012, 12:25 AM
I would choose Option 1: Recover Windows to 1st Partition Only. This would leave the DATA partition untouched. However, it looks like you haven't stored anything there yet.

I went for option 3 to give it the best chance and you're right I haven't stored anything on it at all barring a few drivers - it has only run for about 3 hours or so and the bulk of that was spent trying to fix this touhpad issue.

I am part way through the complete restore now and I still do not have the ability to use the touchpad.

BrodyBoy
03-26-2012, 12:33 AM
I am part way through the complete restore now and I still do not have the ability to use the touchpad.
DON'T TRY!

It's very important to just let the recovery process proceed on its own, without any user input or intervention. Wait until it's completely done....when it's at, and stays at....the original out-of-box first-time setup wizard.

None of the restore options has a better chance than the others to resolve any particular problem. They will all yield an identical Windows installation/configuration. The only difference is whether additional partitions are overwritten.

Chris84
03-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Well I tried and had no success , back in the box and about to be posted back.

Hopefully better luck next time.

dstrakele
03-26-2012, 02:24 AM
That's the way to do it, @Chris. If it doesn't work correctly right out of the box, do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it, exchange it. Works for smartphones too!