PDA

View Full Version : BlackBeauty to be born - beginnings

Zka17
03-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone, I am starting this thread to document the build of my new system. I am not a pro, however I do have some experience in putting together some pc hardware. Also, I am not afraid to use some tools for cutting, drilling, etc. to obtain what I dreamed about. I do have a life, family and professional – so building this system may take a while... In mean time, any comment, suggestion, idea is welcome!

The basic plan is to build the strongest computer I can with decent external look and do it in a way to keep it as silent as possible. By “strongest” I mean the best I can afford. I do have some parts already and I am ready to upgrade some of them as well as I am prepared to spend more – but all in a resonable limit. “Decent external look” for me is simple as possible. A simple black (possible matte) exterior with as few lights as possible – the essence will be inside! “Silent” is quiet. Intending to make a balance between performance and quietness, sometimes even going more for quiet.

Let’s see what I am starting with. I have an Asus Rampage III extreme motherboard and an Intel Core i7-980X processor. Regarding the graphics, I am definetely going for an SLI system, not sure yet about the cards... Right now I do have 3 EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked ones, but will see. As for the memory, I have a 12GB Corsair Dominator and a 24GB Kingstone HyperX kit, both of them at 1600 MHz. The storage will be a combination of SSD(s) and HDD(s), right now having 2 120GB Corsair Force GTs and 2 2TB Western Digital Caviar Blacks. I have two strong power supplies, a Corsair AX1200 and a Silverstone ST1500, will use them based on needs (depending more on what graphic cards will use at final assembly).

All my build is going to be based on a Corsair Obsidian 800d, hundred percent sure that will be modded. More on this later.

A basic recuirement to achieve my goals (especially the “silent” part, but benefic for the “strongest” part too) is the water cooling system. In my next post this will be the focus of my writing.

frisianbear2002
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Looking forward to see some pics of it.

Zka17
03-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks frisianbear2002! I really intend to post as much as I can.

Zka17
03-26-2012, 12:08 AM
So, as I promised, here will share my idea about the water cooling setup.
I am thinking about a single loop, multiple radiator system. Here is a sketch of it:

As it can be seen I am going for a near full water cooling system. Not sure yet about the storage (SSD and HDD), will depend on how the modding of the case will go.

I plan to use 3 radiators, right now my best idea for them is the Balck Ice SR1 family. On the top of the Corsair 800D would place a 140x3 one, a 120x1 on the back and a 120x2 in the place of the bottom HDD cage (which will be removed, of course).

For these radiators I am planning to use Cougar fans, the CF-V14HBs (for 140mm) and the CF-V12HPBs (for 120mm). I really like this fans, I have good experience with four of them on a Corsair H100. This time I am going for all black models. Of course, all of them will be on a controller.

I didn’t found to much info on combination of the Cougar fans with the Black Ice SR1 radiators, so any input on this is very welcome! For a better perfomance and silence, will use a push-pull fan configuration on all radiators, also will use shrouds on the side of the radiators which does not have by default.

Regarding the water blocks, I have all EK ones. For the graphic cards in SLI I was thinking at the EK’s parallel connector block, so all of the cards would be cooled equally.

I have several Swiftech MCP655 (speed variable models), I was thinking to use 2 of them in a serial setup. I think that two of them would be enough for this loop, but also need some input on this matter.

Based on my present imagination, the top and rear radiators will exhaust, while the bottom one will pull and push from and to outside. Will mount this bottom one vertically, so will pull from left side and push through right side. Not clear yet how will resolve the intake for the top and rear radiators... One thing is sure, I will completely separate the bottom compartment from the main one – so no bottom intake will be possible. Maybee I will make a side or front intake, maybee both – will see.

tadhp
03-26-2012, 12:48 AM
I like the way you do the brainstorm for your new build.
Good luck and have fun

Zka17
03-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks tadhp! I will have fun, that's sure - about the luck... well, will see.

Loud & Fast
03-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Sounds like the great battle plan. Share your hobby with us (with them and me, I`M also a new member). If you are planning to get another CPU, just ask me if I can afford your 980X ;)

Cygnitr0n
03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
One cooling tip bro.

It doens't matter how your loop is being build. Only what you should do is build the Reservoir above you pump.
The tempature diffrence when going into a rad because of the warmth is so small.. that u better build it with one clean loop.

The warmth in total is something to forget then.

Your doing this right know: Heat cold Heat cold Heat cold (Sounds perfect, but is it nice to do?)
It doesn't matter really, thats my honest opinion.

This is mine: Res-Pump-GPU-GPU-120Rad-Mosfet-Cpu-Mem-Rad240-Rad240-Res

The 2 RAD240 is doing all the cooling that it's needed for the whole loop.

Maybe you can use the tip, maybe someone has an other opinion.

Zka17
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks, CygnitrOn, for your opinion!

You are right, I am doing "heat-cold-heat-cold" in my loop. I think this is the optimal compromise for all components to get the lowest temps. Of course, you can go for an all parallel system, or even more than two separate loops - but those are getting more complicated.

By the way, your loop is heat(2xGPU)-cold(120 rad)-heat(VRM-CPU-Mem)-cold(2x240 rad) too (in your Obsidian Carnage project)!

The major difference between your system and my plans are that the X58-based system with 3xGTX480s runs a little bit warmer than yours. I am 100% sure that a single 120mm radiator isn't enough for my 3 VGAs, sincerely, I doubt that would be enough for your double GTX560Tis either... This way you are supplying pre-heated water to your VRM, which will further heat it before will get to the CPU. I am aware that this temp difference could be only few degrees, but that will matter at the time when you will push the boundaries with OC.

But let me post some of my thoughts about temps at your Obsidian Carnage thread (just give me few hours, I am at work now...)!

Zka17
03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
After exposing my ideas about the water cooling loop (and that discussion is still open!), here I would share some of my thoughts about the case. Warning: this may became long, and is just the product of my imagination – not the work itself (that will come soon!).

As I said earlier, I am going to use the popular Corsair Obsidian 800D as the basis for my build. I think, it’s a great case, big enough to give some freedom for custom builds. I like specially it’s exterior simplicity, although the side window it’s already to much for me. So, here will be my first (and easiest) change – will use a side panel without the plexi window. As for the exterior, some additional vent holes will be made (see later) and that’s it! Not sure yet if I will repaint it, mainly depends on how much collateral damage will produce...

Starting with the vent holes, I am planning to release the fans from the grill’s restriction. I did it before with other cases, it works for me – better airflow, quiet operation. Will cut the top panel, definetely, to fit a 140x3 radiator. This will be covered with the Koolance’s shroud. I need this since I want to use shrouds between the radiator and fans, so the overall thickness of this top unit will be to big to fit entirely inside the case. Additionally, will remove the grill from the rear fan hole too.

Because I intend to place the bottom 120x2 radiator vertically, will make intake and exhaust holes on the left and right side panels. I have two reasons to place this radiator vertically. The first one is better airflow – just think about those recommandations to place the case 200-300mm away from the wall to have proper exhaust in the back. I don’t think those setups, we can see all over with a bottom, horizontally placed radiators, would have a perfect exhaust... The second reason is that, with this vertical setup, I can have an exterior exhaust – the air leaving the radiator won’t contribute to warm other components inside the case.

The choosen radiator in a vertical position will be to tall to fit in the place of that bottom HDD cage, so I will modify the midpanel too. In the lower compartment will be the psu and the 120x2 radiator, and maybe the pumps – not sure yet about this. Anyway, won’t need that vent hole on it, so on my new midpanel will have to deal with holes for tubing only.

To feed the top and rear radiators with fresh air, will have to come up with some ideas... Perhaps will go with custom vent hole(s), not sure yet if they will be active intakes (with fans) or just simply holes. It is also a question where to place these intakes? The first obvious place is the left side panel, of course, but at what level exactly? Since everything inside will be chilled with water, placing holes at the level of the graphic cards will cause only trouble (restriction of the airflow, maybe even noise if I am using fans). Also, thinking about front intake, but not sure yet if I will have enough space for it...

As for the interior look of the case/built... that’s the part I will change radically! While it’s always good to see your components, I have the feeling that is too messy. All those small components on the motherboard, all those wires (even sleeved) makes the overall look to complicated. Do you know what I mean? Here is an example: took some random pictures of the under hood compartment of the cars from the net:

All those power cables have to connect to motherboard and graphic cards are irritating me. Will try to make a cover to hide all of them! Something like our ROGer fellow from South Korea did in the upper part of his motherboard – just going forward and cover everything.

By the way, here I would repeat my questions I posted earlier in the other section: Does anyone have a defective R3E motherboard? I just need it as a template to design the above mentioned modifications. Until now didn’t get any replies... It’s hard to belive that nobody fried one after the warranty... Who knows what Asus is doing with those RMA’d boards? I am sure that some of them are actually working, but what about the really bad ones? Could I get a really bad one from them?

Getting back to my plans, CyberDruid’s 800D mod (you can find on YouTube) is a great inspiration for me. It’s just too bad he retired from modding! Perhaps, I will use similar trim panels to cover the 5.25” cage and hot swap bay.

One thing is not clear for me yet. What to do with the SSD(s) and HDD(s)? I don’t want to use a ton of them anyway, maximum two of each (maybe in RAID) will be plenty for me. The hot swap bay is cool, but I am not sure if I will use the offered feature – not intending to frequently change those drives. The main problem is that I would like to keep some cooling on them, but the original side fan on that cage is a little bit odd for me. Besides, while I will modify the midpanel for the bottom radiator, not sure that the hot swap bay will fit anymore...

I was looking at this Watercool Silentstar HD Quad Core Rev 2 unit... I am aware that my planned storage will not produce enormous heat, so water cooling them is not a must – but with this could remove completely that side fan, and have an all water cooled system. Anyone has experience with this product? Will the SATA III hot swap backplate from the 800D fit on this?

Any comments, ideas, inputs are very welcome!

Zka17
04-01-2012, 01:36 AM
I think, it’s time for some pictures... :)

Here is the first one with the Corsair Obsidian 800D and radiator assemblies:

I am using 3 Black Ice SR1 radiators: a 3x140mm on the top, a single 120mm on the back and a 2x120mm on the bottom. All of them will have fans in push-pull configuration with a shroud between the intake fan and the radiator (no need of shrouds on the exhaust side because of the radiator design). The fans on these pictures are San Ace ones from my previous system, are mounted just for sake of the pictures (I will get rid of these and will use Cougars instead).

The top 3x140mm radiator doesn’t fit right now. Will cut the top panel of the case and also the 5.25” cage has to be trimmed as shown in the picture below (no big deal, there is a nice tutorial on the web for this from mnpctech):

In the next two pictures I’m trying to demosntrate that the dual radiator will not fit under the midpanel:

Will remove this midpanel and will design a completely new one.

And here is the back radiator assembly:

Mounted entirely inside the case not only looks strange, but perhaps will interfere with the tubing for CPU and motherboard:

The radiator and exhaust fan mounted outside with the shroud and intake fan inside just looks weird:

Not sure sure yet how will deal with this rear cooling unit...

Next, I am going to disassemble the case, will remove the 5.25” cage and the hot swap bay. Going to cut the top panel and adjust the 5.25” cage for the 3x140mm radiator. More pictures are coming soon!

Loud & Fast
04-01-2012, 06:13 AM
not rearly a tip, but have you thought about half in, half out solution for the rear rad?

edit...or get the aircooled tower-look by placing the rad straight over the cpu...

frisianbear2002
04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Hmmmm enough WC lol:cool:

Cody_Irwin
04-01-2012, 10:30 AM
why not just use the tubing with a elbow to make a corner? And it will go straight to the Cpu, sure it may not be pretty but its also not half bad looking. You got quite a nice selection too.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c101/s746/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Fittings-Accessories-Elbow_Connectors-Page1.html

I mean I dont see nothing that wont look bad to do so with if you put the whole Radiator with the fans inside completely and pop a few Elbows in it cause by the looks of it you do have room.

What I mean tbh is the radiator first has a elbow to go torwards the Motherboard, then it elbows down and then again elbows to the CPU block. You can get two nice Shiny elbows, One for Radiator, One for cpu block. Then get a Clear elbow for the tubing going torwards the mobo and down the Mobo together (only need one since it goes into then down.)

It would not look half bad at all and will give it some lines for a clean look.

But of course the Plastic elbow or w/e is up to you if you want plastic, or you can grab a metal one and get some more bling in it haha.

Zka17
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Loud & Fast,

Thanks for your input. What exactly do you mean by half in, half out of the rear rad? To cut a bigger hole in the rear panel and have the radiator itself half in, half out (with the intake fan and shroud inside and exhaust fan outside)? Have to think about it... That rad is wider than a 120mm fan, practically won't allow anything thicker/higher on the motherboard then the I/O panel.

Also, it's an interesting idea to imitate the aircooler-look by placing the entire back cooling unit straight over the CPU. I'am afraid that the airflow would suffer... It has to be an exhaust setup, which would require an exhaust hole on the left side panel - hard to do, that side will face me when I sit down to do something on the computer, so I would have wind in my face.

Zka17
04-01-2012, 01:06 PM
frisianbear2002,

Do you think so? How about two 3x120mm ones with a 4x120mm as I had previously? Of course, all of them were placed outside.

Zka17
04-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Cody_Irwin,

Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

I intend to go with all matte black metal Bitspower compression fittings. They also have corners and angles, but the real issue here is the limited space. As i explained to Loud & Fast above, the bear radiator setup won't allow anything thicker/higher then the I/O panel of the motherboard...

I really need a model of the R3E mobo to clarify these questions! What i have now, is built in and working in my present desktop - don't want to take it out until this build is not ready to function.

Zka17
04-01-2012, 03:14 PM
I was thinking that may be interesting to post some pictures of my old system. They would set up a starting point to my new build, also they may inspire someone...

It's my responsibility to state before the pictures, that the old system was build by watercoolpcboy (unfortunately, he did not share the process of his work), I just got it ready, in excellent working condition.

Some of you may ask why I had to take it apart? Well... you know that feeling emerging from deep inside to permanently do something, drill, cut, replace, etc. - that's why! Don't get me wrong, I do have a great respect for watercoolpcguy's work, it's just not fitted exactly to my ideas and expectations.

The main issue for me was the noise those fans generated. That's the reason why I changed the radiators and fans to a more silent ones.

Here are the pictures, enjoy!

Loud & Fast
04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
You understand me right.

tadhp
04-01-2012, 05:24 PM
I was thinking that may be interesting to post some pictures of my old system. They would set up a starting point to my new build, also they may inspire someone...

A lot of money into these hardware and noisy, are you use ear-plug to protect your ears ? :cool: :cool:
Looking forward to see your silent build .

Zka17
04-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeap! For me, beside the good look and content, silence is an important parameter too. You know, after all those voices in my head telling me what and how to do, it would be a relief to enjoy my build at the end... :cool:

(no worries, it's everything good with my head - I was just joking)

frisianbear2002
04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Hmmm that is some serious wc system:cool:

wolverine7074
04-02-2012, 01:33 AM
kinda funny this is the first time i have seen the name black beauty used for a PC build aside from mine when i built the first Black Beauty and also built a White Beauty for my son

looks like a nice build ill be watching this one as it goes

tadhp
04-02-2012, 02:16 AM
You know, after all those voices in my head telling me what and how to do, it would be a relief to enjoy my build at the end... :cool:

(no worries, it's everything good with my head - I was just joking)

LOL .... have funs and good luck with your build :cool:

looks like a nice build ill be watching this one as it goes

Same here ;)

Zka17
04-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks, tadhp - but yesterday wasn't my lucky day... :( After I took apart the case, I was planning to start with cutting. Unfortunately, my power drill played me a bad joke... But no worries, I am not giving up! :cool:

wolverine7074, believe me, I didn't tried to steal the name of your build - or anybody's other built. It was a spontaneous choice, any similarity or matching of my build's name is just an unintended coincidence.

I was looking for your builds but could not find them - where did you posted them?

Giannis996
04-03-2012, 08:08 PM
hm i think this build would be perfect as you are thinking different ways to do it more beautiful... :p

Cygnitr0n
04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
That's a real monster u have there! I'm curious about this build. Not only for your good arguments ;)
And beside tho's Case Names.. yeah can happen. Google is ur friend. If not find the name.. that can happen. To bad. But ur still calling it BlackBeauty?

Zka17
04-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I've got your point, CignitrOn: less talk more work - right? I agree with you. Believe me, if I would have endless time and wouldn't have to do other things beside building pcs, BlackBeauty would be already fully functional. As I stated in my first post of this thread, I do have other duties too, so this build may take a while... It's my hobby, there is no time limit for me.

About the "real monster" you could see previously, well, that's over. As I said, it was not my built, I just got it for parts. But don't worry, BlackBeauty will be a beast too! :cool:

Regarding the name of my build, "BlackBeauty" will be! As I explained to wolverine7074, it was a spontaneous choice. I didn't and don't care if there exist or not other systems with this name - I'm building it for myself, so I'm giving it whatever name I want. This, of course, if I'm not violating the rules of this forum with this name - I did checked those, didn't found anything against. Let me know (you, our ROG fellows, or the administrators) if you see some problem here, and will think about it!

And, to show that I was working, here are some pictures!

Corsair Obsidian 800D in pieces:

A great discovery for me was that I found my storage drives I forgot in the hot-swap bay. Man, I was looking for those! ;)

With the motherboard tray, 5,25" cage and hot-swap bay out, I tried to fit again the bottom cooling unit. As you can see, the midpanel really needs to be replaced:

And here is the first challenge, I have to modify the top panel to accomodate this 3x140mm rad with it's shroud:

So, this is where I am now. Two more working days and I hope that will be able to share some more images!

Zka17
04-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Hello, my friends, I am sharing here some big news! :D :D :D

I was mentioning before in this thread - moreover, I started a dedicated one over the mobo section - about my need of a broken R3E motherboard. Since, the only one I had (do you feel what is comming?) is built in a temporary system until I am working on BlackBeauty, I needed an other one to use as a template during the work.

So the source of my happiness right now is that I've got my broken R3E! :D And, I got it from ebay by winning my first auction ever! (until now I was buying using the "buy it now" option, never won any auctions).

It was advertised as not working, for parts only. The explanation was that the cpu pins are bent and one of the pci-e slots not working (may be because of the bent pins?). So, just perfect for my needs!

Here it is:

It did come with the factory heatsink in the original box, with most of the accessories (actually did not spent to much time for checking this - anyway I have the other one). It shows signs of usage. After removing the factory heatsink, I had the feeling that this mobo was not only used but abused too. Perhaps, it was used with a water block - based on what conditions I found under the heatsink, I doubt that would be the factory setup...

After I cleaned the template-mobo (it had some sticky thing and thermal paste all over), went on and installed the EK waterblock (I have an other one for the final build). Put in a Core i7-920 cpu and placed the waterblock on it too. Also inserted the Corsair Dominators and installed their waterblock, as well as the 3 EVGA GTX 480s. Here are some pictures from different angles:

It's just perfect for my ideas! Just to remember, I want to create a cover for the mobo - want to hide everything (cables, capacitors, etc.). Now, I can keep my functioning mobo working during the entire building process... :D :D :D (sorry for so many smilies, but I'm really happy about this broken mobo)

chrsplmr
04-07-2012, 01:57 AM
plan, execute. well played. cant wait to see the rest ... it makes me hungry.c.

tadhp
04-07-2012, 02:27 AM
;);)
Hello, :D :D :D

It's just perfect for my ideas! Just to remember, I want to create a cover for the mobo - want to hide everything (cables, capacitors, etc.). ... :D :D :D ........ so many smilies,

Sound interesting, every one want to show off the mobo and you want to hide it and ....... all of it. You better tell me your plan NOW in details, may be I can help to stop you .......... :cool:

Zka17
04-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey tadhp, have you seen the ROG Watercooling System by MyWorks (here, in this forum)? Do you remember what he did with the upper part of his mobo? Well, that's the reason why I'm going to hide my mobo! :)

frisianbear2002
04-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Wow getting better and better. :cool:

tadhp
04-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Hey tadhp, have you seen the ROG Watercooling System by MyWorks (here, in this forum)? Do you remember what he did with the upper part of his mobo? Well, that's the reason why I'm going to hide my mobo! :)

Aha, now I know, good luck Zka17 ............ make it look better with paint the ROG logo on top :cool:

Zka17
04-16-2012, 12:37 AM
It's been a while since I posted last time... Sorry for that, was busy with my work. But now can show some updates.

Basically I was working on the top- and mid-panels. Here is an overview:

On the top panel, completely removed the original fan grill - anyway didn't fit with my new 420 radiator. For measurements i relied on the Koolance shroud, I cut along the internal perimeter of it. Then, I cut a piece of aluminum sheet based on the external perimeter. The inside of this aluminum sheet was adjusted (cut) to the radiator. I will have to drill the holes to fix everything to the case. Additionally, I adjusted the 5.25" bay cage to - the radiator is slightly wider, didn't fit without cutting.

The second achievement is the new midpanel. Used the same 025 aluminum sheet, reinforced with some 3/16 aluminum L profiles. The attachment to the case is by the L profiles too - they are underneath, can not be seen. The back L profile is connected with both the moderboard tray and midpanel; the front one will hold a coverplate over the psu.

Parallel with the midpanel, I was also working on the bottom radiator support. After some thinking, decided to use aluminum L profiles here too. These L profiles are bigger then those used for midpanel reinforcement, but same thickness. Practically made rails in front and behind (and top and bottom) the radiator with adjusting the vertical parts to the fan openings. They are not yet secured to the case (that's why the midpanel doesn't look flat).

Similar to the original midpanel, this one will have an excision at the level of the fans (green dotted line). Have to mount the hot swap bay and put a fan on it in order to be able to determine the deepness of this cut (want to have the fans on the radiator and hot swap bay to be at the same level).

Right now all the assembly is held together by screws, but at the final built I will use black pop rivets. Of course, all the aluminum will be black too - not sure yet if I will paint it or use some adhesive matte black vinil... or maybe both...

Zka17
04-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey guys! Not too much happened since my last post... Weekdays aren't favorable for this build, I'm too busy at my work. Fortunately, I still got the mornings before I'm heading to work, and sometimes in the evenings I'm getting few minutes to think about this project too. So, here I will share one of my thoughts, hoping that I could get some input on it.

I'm thinking these days how to make the cover panels for the 5.25" cage and hot-swap bay. One thing is sure, the pumps have to be placed behind the hot-swap bay (the reservoir will be above them). Doing so, it will be really tight between the VGAs and pumps...

Just mentioning that the VGAs extend a little bit over the rear edge of those cable management holes (took of the rubber grommets from the bottom ones).

My newest idea is to rotate the hot-swap bay like this:

Thus can place the pumps closer to it. Will load the hot-swap bay from lateral. I could use the front door as an air intake... use the opening feature for filter replacement. I could place fans on both side of the hot-swap bay (there is enough room), so the storage units still could get cooled.

I'm planning a plate to completely cover the side of the 5.25" cage, down to the midpanel. Could cut the openings for the storage units on it - I don't think would look too ugly...

What's your opinion about this?

Also, an other thing came in my mind. Having the pumps too close to the HDDs in hot swap-bay, the magnetic field of the motors could harm the disks? Has anyone some experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Loud & Fast
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
crt displays should be far enough away from pumps, as the manual of my pump says. To all other things it should be harmless.
Wont the bay look the same as now, if you cut cut the openings for the storage units? If I were you, I would try to find a safe-door that fits to your bay. toysrus maybe?

Zka17
04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
In mean time I've read some about magnets and HDDs - it seems that the pumps will not be a problem... To do any harm to HDDs, I would need extremely powerful magnets. So, won't worry about this... Although, if someone has experience in this direction, would be happy to hear it!

Loud & Fast, it will look different! Right now you can not see the masking panels... Having four openings for the storage units, but covering all those plastic locks on the 5.25" cage - definitely will look better! :cool:

Loud & Fast
04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Aha, I`m not sure what I´ve to imagine, don`t know your case:confused: But you will find a pretty way. As you wrote, it doesn`t hurry

Zka17
04-22-2012, 09:16 PM
So, here is my work's result from this weekend. I did a cover panel for the psu area, and started to work on the cover panel over the 5.25" cage and ho-swap bay.

Similar to the mid-panel, all the edges will be reinforced by the aluminum L-profiles.

Loud & Fast, here is a sketch how I will cut for the hot-swap bay access - hope this will make easier to imagine it :cool:

I also indicated the portion of the cover panel which will cover the pump's cage. I'm planing to cover the pumps too, with openings on the front and back for ventilation. Will place a fan on the side of the hot-swap bay (on it's regularly place, just will suck air from front and exhaust toward the back), which will provide some cooling to the pumps too. The exhaust will be on the back of the case, in that perforated area below the pci slot openings.

Above the pump's cage, the panel, covering the cables from the 5'25" bay devices, will be placed in an angle toward the other side and the motherboard. The reservoir will be attached to this cover panel.

Zka17
05-01-2012, 12:46 PM
It's that time again - posting some updates...

I've been working more on the cover panels and made a stand for the pumps.

I'm sorry for so much glowing, the native aluminum reflects light like hell... But no worries, later on all will be matte black - hope the final pictures will be better!

I just put those panels temporarily for the photos, so the gaps between them you can observe, will disappear too as I'm moving forward.

And here is the pumps stand:

For mounting I will use the anti-vibration screws which came with the dual top. The stand will be secured to the mid-panel through those anti-vibration sheets which came with the pumps (off course, they will be cut to fit the new stand). Also, the back of the cover panels will be lined with noise dampening material in order to keep quiet all those thing behind.

More updates to come! :cool:

Zka17
05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I was really busy with my work lately, didn't had time for my project. As a compensation I thought that would be nice to share pictures about some of my orders delivered in this time...

Finally, I have my Cougars I wished for so much: :D

Perhaps, I will not build in all of them - based on my plans, I will need 8 of the 140mm and 9 of the 120mm - but is always nice to have some backups. :cool:

Then, I also received my EK Links to mount the 3 way SLI parallel block (me stupid, forget to order them when I got the parallel block). Here is an overview of what needs to be assembled:

And here is the SLI setup in the case:

Zka17
05-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Well, my fellow ROGers, I almost thought that everything start to go smoothly with this project...

Today was working on the top radiator mounting. My new Cougars fit beautifully underneath the Koolance shroud and drilled the holes for attaching the shroud to the case. When I tried to mount the radiator (Black Ice SR1 420), after the first screw, none of the others could be placed...

Took everything apart and BANG!!! The holes on the Koolance shroud does not match the ones on the radiator...:(

Checked again the technical specs and is there: Koolance's fan hole spacing is 17mm, the Black Ice's spacing is 20mm. And somehow I missed that... :( :( :(

Now, I will have to figure out something... Any ideas are welcome, as usual!

tadhp
05-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Used the dremel to cut some holes to a slot, then you able to mount the fan
or
Drill the fans holes bigger .... all of the holes to compensate the different dimension.
or
Super glue
or
Ductape

Any pictures available ????

:cool:

Zka17
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
So, here is a pictures with the Black Ice SR1 radiator and the bottom of the Koolance shroud - red arrows shows the fan holes:

I realize that the picture may not show the real problem, so I made a sketch too:

I think, now the difference between the fan hole spacings on the shroud (green dots = 17mm) and radiator (red dots = 20mm) is obvious. It would be nice if the holes would be aligned, thus single screws would be enough for each hole - those screws would also hold the radiator on the top.

The glue method is out of discussion - I want to be able to take apart the whole assembly in case if any of the fans needs to be replaced. Also, I'm not confident that the glue would hold the weight of the radiator there...

Making the holes bigger on the fans would allow the screws to go in an angle through the fans, but would not fit 100% with the threads on the radiator... However, i'm still considering this solution...

tadhp
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Not impossible but some complicate to align those holes.
Unless you want to fabricate a new Koolance shroud with all the new holes matching the black Ice SR1

Can you just mount 4 holes on the corner of the SR1 to the chassis to hold it in place ????

Zka17
05-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks, tadhp! I hope that's not impossible, since I would really hate if it turns out that I bought the Koolance shroud for nothing... :D Yes, I was the idiot for missing those fan hole spacings, but now I will work with what I have! An idea had started to form in my mind... - just wait a little bit until will have some time! :cool:

ganji
05-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Looking good :D
i see what u mean when said i'd see some fans here lol. u have plenty enit :D sorted though gotta keep things nice n cool aye.
there's some proppa talented case modders and around these forums. ive seen some really nice lookin rigs. Fairplay!

Zka17
05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks, ganji!

"ive seen some really nice lookin rigs" - that's the goal here too... :cool:

ganji
05-16-2012, 05:58 PM
well its comming on. im pretty sure u will make sure its the mutz nutz ;)
i shall be following ur progress and look forward to seeing the final result

Zka17
05-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Will try not to disappoint... :cool:

tadhp
05-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Thanks, tadhp! I hope that's not impossible, since I would really hate if it turns out that I bought the Koolance shroud for nothing... :D Yes, I was the idiot for missing those fan hole spacings, but now I will work with what I have! An idea had started to form in my mind... - just wait a little bit until will have some time! :cool:

Just wonder, Is your original idea is assembly all parts using long screws ??
or
screw the SR1 thru holes on the chassis to the fans ??

Do you want to adjust the SR1 a little bit forward or backward and secure it to the chassis ??

However, you got all the parts there, you should be able to modify it the best you can. Good luck Zka17

Zka17
05-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, my original idea was to use long screws to keep grill-shroud-fan-case-rad (this order from top) together. This idea would required the alignment of the holes... I thought that this way would be the best.

I do have to keep in mind that a 3x140mm rad full with water has a pretty considerable weight (plus, shrouds and fans will be attached to the other side of the rad). Whatever solution I will come up, it has to be safe!

Maybe a bracket from below the radiator to the side/top of the case... will see... In any case, I don't feel to comfortable to make additional holes on the rad... I don't have a power drill press to be able to control how much the bit is going through - wouldn't like to drill into the fin area...

tadhp
05-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Maybe a bracket from below the radiator to the side/top of the case... will see... In any case, I don't feel to comfortable to make additional holes on the rad... I don't have a power drill press to be able to control how much the bit is going through - wouldn't like to drill into the fin area...

Good for you, bracket is what I think too, how conplicate or just plain simple, look all over to avoid troubles spots, build is solid and safety.

Zka17
05-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Finally, mounting the 3x140mm radiator on the top of the 800d is done!

I thought, before start making a bracket for this rad, it may worth try something else... Adjusted the mounting holes on the top plate with 1/4" drill bit. Used rubber fan mounting grommets from mnpctech.com and screwed the rad directly to this. Then, I attached the fans to the shroud only from the other side (top). Now, instead using single screws through the whole assembly, I'm using two for each hole. I was lucky with these fans, because they have that rubber anti-vibration pads on the corners (those orange things). These pads actually allowed the head of the screws to fit without raising the whole shroud up from the top of the case.

So, here is a shot from below the shroud:

And here is one with the shroud in place:

Fits perfectly! That white thing on the top of the case is tape for protection and further drawings on it - on the front of the top I still have to drill a hole for the fillport.

And here is a picture about a test-assembly of the system (radiators with fans, and the sample mobo with the waterblocks):

Now, I can start measuring the spaces and finishing the cover panels... :cool:

ganji
05-19-2012, 06:40 PM
lookin good mate. the shroud fits well, proppa job ;)

tadhp
05-20-2012, 08:22 PM
You'd make a good choice, simple than making bracket ........ I would do the same

Zka17
05-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Thank you, ganji and tadhp!

RonanC
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
very talented builder/modder, looking very nice!

Zka17
11-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks, my friend! Unfortunately, since I've got poisoned by benching, this project got stuck... Well, one day will finish it... also got newer/better hardware since, so may need some re-planning...

LeviathanPT
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Congrats, beautiful work!

Skull6
11-02-2012, 07:50 PM
As an "old skooler" who's built custom rigs--but none with WC (yes, THAT old), please take this for what it's worth. (& yes, it is the voice of experience I'm sharing...)

WC is nice, & I hope it goes well for you. But please don't forget that other components of the system also generate heat, such ad HDDs.

Just make sure that you've planned for "general air flow," & don't have fans on the backplate blowing in, fans on the face of the chassis also blowing in, fans on top vents blowing into the chassis, etc. Likewise, don't have everything in a closed chassis blowing out. I tend to have fans on front & bottom blowing in & those on back & top blowing out. (I've heard equal arguments concerning side fans--specifically those mounted right over the CPU(S) in the side of the chassis, to the point where I'll leave that to "personal preference.") I'd think you'd want all the radiator fans to blow out somehow, but were it me, I'd also have a few fans pushing outside air in as well. Oh, & yes, more fans can increase noise--or so I've heard.

Good luck. Looks like a good plan being properly executed--even if it is taking longer than anticipated. ;)

Zka17
11-03-2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks, LeviathanPT!

Skull6, thanks for your comment! Regarding the HDD cooling, my experience is that they don't generate enough heat to worth cooling them... yes, I was planning to do that, but then realized that it doesn't worth it... The thing is that the system is running from SSD, the HDD is for storing data only - so it would rarely spin enough to heat up...

As for the fans... well that need to be experienced... what you can not see yet on my built are the side fans... and there will be one or two fan on the front too... - bottom fans will not be required as the bottom radiator will intake fresh air from one side and exhaust on the other side... (the PSU will have bottom intake, of course, but that's a separate airflow)

KPRage
01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Nice build buddy.. :)

chrsplmr
01-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I have a tear my brother .. our little Zka is all grow'd up .. I am so happy ...
It boggles the mind how deep you think my friend ... chrsplmr~bows to the'Z'ness~and goes makes popcorn.

One day maybe 'they' will reName this AZUS ... hehhehee.c.

Zka17
01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks, guys!

You're making me to feel bad... it's been more than 6 months since I last time did something on this build... - you know, I've got poisoned by OC'ing and benching...

But I'm telling you, one day I will finish this project too!

chrsplmr
01-17-2013, 10:42 PM
less talk .. more pics .. hahahhaa

you will OC the ROGs off this before you are done .. we are panting.

Feel Bad ??? Save that for the DellApple guyz ... hahahhahahaa. Perfection takes time.c.