PDA

View Full Version : Athros.sys causing BSOD on G73Jw

johngloid
03-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey there,

I've had my G73Jw laptop for about a year. I've done a clean install of Win7 using this thread's utilities: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

In the past month, I'll get about 3 BSOD's per week related to Athros.sys which is a Wifi card issue I presume (or LAN?).

Anyone else been getting these? I'm about to RMA. It's driving me nuts, and I need to have a stable machine for freelancing purposes.

Thanks,
John

dstrakele
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
1) What version of Atheros driver are you currently running?

2) I recommend running BlueScreenView from Nirsoft to obtain the a) Bug Check Code, b) Bug Check Description, c) 4 Parameters, and d) File causing the BSOD's on your system.

3) Do the details of Errors and Warnings in the System and Application Event Logs point to a troubleshooting direction?

johngloid
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Sorry It's not Athros.sys it's athrx.sys. Same thing really though.

1) What version of Atheros driver are you currently running?

Driver version 2.0.0.74. But I just found out it's Microsoft's driver even though I installed the Qualcom Athros driver. I'll have to switch drivers and see what happens.

Haven't tried your #2 or #3 recommendations yet. Will do those next though. Thanks!

johngloid
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
So this is interesting: I was reading online about folks with similar issues. Someone mentioned they had an issue with their virus scan blocking the LAN card's access and then getting a BSOD. (I'm only using wireless FYI.) So on a whim I uninstalled the LAN card driver and left the Wireless one installed. And now all of a sudden I have no BSOD's and I have 5 full bars in my wireless, no packet loss, no high pings -- all in all, a stable connection.

Weird. I guess I'll have to get the LAN card up and running again and then test out more to see if it might be my anti-virus or some kind of conflict between my LAN driver and the WiFi driver.

BrodyBoy
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Weird. I guess I'll have to get the LAN card up and running again and then test out more to see if it might be my anti-virus or some kind of conflict between my LAN driver and the WiFi driver.
While issues such as yours obviously must be dealt with if you ever want to use an ethernet connection, I've had these sorts of problems in the past and, as a result, I've gotten into the habit of just disabling the LAN device on my laptops (which I virtually always run wireless).

In fact, now that I think of it, it was an Atheros LAN card/driver (on my N-series) that gave me all sorts of problems....interfering with the wireless function and not working well when the wireless was also enabled. I know a lot of network infrastructure equipment is based on Atheros chips, so it can't be ALL bad, but geez, their OEM-level laptop LAN and WLAN devices seem to have more problems than they are worth.

dstrakele
03-26-2012, 05:49 PM
What Antivirus are you running, @johngloid?

johngloid
03-26-2012, 06:06 PM
@BrodyBoy yeah totally. I've had weird wifi issues for the longest time now. My Router is only about 12 feet away with 2 walls and an open door in between, but I've always had dropped connections, subpar connections, packet loss, etc. You name it. Now everything is fantastic.

@dstrakele I'm running Avast! antivirus. Haven't tried out reinstalling the LAN and disabling part or all of the AV software. I'm just trying to enjoy a solid connection right now :)

Thanks for the help!