PDA

View Full Version : G74SX occasionally the display doesn't work after hibernate?

Lazer77
03-27-2012, 01:34 AM
I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 on my ASUS G74SX. Lately I have been having a problem where maybe 25% of the time, when I turn on the laptop from hibernate, it shows the ASUS startup screen, but then the screen goes black once it is supposed to display that "Windows is starting up" screen. But the thing is that if I enter my password and hit enter which would log me in, I hear the login noise. So basically my screen doesn't register for some reason, but the laptop itself works. To clarify, the screen is black and does NOT continue to have power after the ASUS screen, it literally goes black (not lit up), but my laptop works fine.

I thought it may have been a problem with my graphics driver, and I updated it to the latest one for my video card, yet the problem persists. If I just shut down my computer and start it back up, it works fine.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

TeckTime
03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
I am having a similar issue when I come out of sleep mode. When I open the laptop and press the power button you can hear the fans spool up but the display remains blank. I then have to close the laptop and reopen it press the power button and then the screen comes on. I didn't have this issue for the first 1 1/2 months of ownership.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I've read that ASUS does not post NVIDIA driver versions later than 268.37 due to S3 issues with ALL the more recent drivers. MarshallR@ASUS states in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11133-How-would-you-prefer-a-drivers-page

Most of the list is direct download links from the ASUS site - these can just as easily be pulled from the product pages. One main criticism is that they are not the most up-to-date versions, but that's because they are fail qualification in some area. For example: every Nvidia driver since 267 on the site has had an S3 bug with the 560M. This may not affect MOST people, but we work on the basis of having something that aims to work 100% with 95% of the performance, rather than working at 100% performance for everyone except those who hibernate.

I'm thinking he meant NVIDIA version 268, since that is the driver version that ships and appears on the ASUS G74SX download site.

Can you reproduce your issue with a clean install of this NVIDIA 268.37 version? If so, I'd then look for a) installed apps that may not play nice with hibernation (Windows System Restore can help with this if your problem is recent) OR b) consider disabliing/enabling hibernation to recreate HIBERFIL.SYS - the file used by Windows to store the image of the system memory during hibernation.

Lazer77
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
But that is strange, before my laptop crashed, I used a much newer driver, I believe it was the beta driver for Battlefield 3. I never had this problem.

dstrakele
03-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Something was probably installed that changed the behavior. You can use Windows System Restore to go back to the time before this issue and then monitor any changes (Windows Updates as well as what you may have installed) more carefully.

Lazer77
03-31-2012, 04:35 AM
I honestly cannot locate this driver for the life of me! I have searched everywhere, and no luck! Can someone give me a link?

My computer had a pretty bad graphics driver crash/glitch today. Weird green patterns started showing up, it locked up for 5 seconds, and then recovered and told me that it recovered from an Nvidia problem.

EDIT: I am trying the 285.62 driver in the meantime.

BrodyBoy
03-31-2012, 06:55 AM
I honestly cannot locate this driver for the life of me! I have searched everywhere, and no luck! Can someone give me a link?

EDIT: I am trying the 285.62 driver in the meantime.
Which one do you want?

dogla
03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
I have this once a while when coming out of sleep. I also had the latest driver installed (actually it WAS the latest at that time 295.75). I just installed 296.10 so I yet have to experience this behavior.

Lazer77
04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I appreciate everyones help! So far the 285.62 driver is working fine.

Lazer77
04-05-2012, 12:32 AM
So I was on Firefox today, and the screen went black as I was browsing Facebook, and it recovered after ~5-10 seconds, and I got this error message (both the popup and the thing on the bottom right).

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/Lazer77/Untitled.png

dstrakele
04-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Perhaps there is an issue when Firefox uses GPU acceleration with this version NVIDIA driver. Does cofiguring Firefox to use software acceleration (http://www.trishtech.com/internet/disable_hardware_acceleration_in_firefox_4.php) eliminate the problem?

The problem could be with Firefox or the NVIDIA driver.

Lazer77
04-05-2012, 05:24 AM
I had it enabled, but I disabled it, I'll keep you posted!