PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a G74S, how do I fix touchpad?

tfun90
03-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Title kind of says it all, I'll give a description so you know precisely what I'm talking about. While using the touchpad, the mouse jumps around, and even clicks itself (yes, by itself, I was stretching my arms when a link got clicked by nothing). What do you recommend?

PS the touchpad is dangerously close to where the hands rest, I must have clicked with the right side of my left palm 60 times while writing this post. I'm sure I'll adjust, but FFS, isn't it someone's job to think of these things?

fuzon1337
03-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi there and Welcome to the ROG forum :)

Right click on "computer" choose "manage".
Then go to "device manager". In there you will get a full list of the hardware in your notebook.
Go to "Mouse and other pointing devices" (or something like that). When you have clicked on it, you should see if you either got the Synaptics or Sentellic manufacturer.

Go to this thread Drivers, Apps and How-to's (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=). Scroll down until you see "Touchpad" there you will find drivers that you can try out :)

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Title kind of says it all, I'll give a description so you know precisely what I'm talking about. While using the touchpad, the mouse jumps around, and even clicks itself (yes, by itself, I was stretching my arms when a link got clicked by nothing). What do you recommend?

PS the touchpad is dangerously close to where the hands rest, I must have clicked with the right side of my left palm 60 times while writing this post. I'm sure I'll adjust, but FFS, isn't it someone's job to think of these things?
Hopefully, this is just a driver and/or settings snafu.

(1) As fuzon suggested, you first need to determine which touchpad you have, Sentelic or Synaptics.

(2) Download the latest driver for your particular touchpad (even if it's the same one you're already using).

(3) Go into Control Panel > Uninstall a program, and completely uninstall the existing touchpad driver.

(4) Install the new driver you downloaded. Restart afterwards.

(5) Go into the touchpad configuration utility and find the section that relates to touchpad activity while typing. Various Sentelic drivers approach this differently, so I can't give you specific instruction without knowing the driver you're using. I'm not sure what Synaptics calls this function or how they control it. The overall point is that you want to decrease the touchpad's sensitivity while you type, or delay its reactivation afterwards.

If the touchpad exhibits that same erratic behavior after all that, report back and we'll try some more options before entertaining the possibility of a hardware defect. (That's rare, but it does happen. Most of the time, these issues are software-related.)

Signal2Noise
03-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Ref. thread... http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9045-G74SX-a-few-issues&p=71897#post71897

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Ref. thread... http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9045-G74SX-a-few-issues&p=71897#post71897
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I don't think the OP is asking how to completely disable the touchpad. He seems to be getting a lot of erratic, unintended activity while using it, and wants to fix that.

tfun90
03-27-2012, 10:23 PM
I uninstalled and reinstalled my Sentelic driver, and the touchpad is still overly sensitive. I haven't verified if the ghost clicks still occur, but the touchpad still jumps horribly, especially when I'm dismounting. I've been through the configuration options under "Mouse Properties," and don't see anything pertaining to the sensitivity. I take it it's time for the next steps?

Oh hey, the 'disable touchpad while typing' worked like a charm at least!

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Did you try setting the Vertical Scroll in the "Wheel" tab from the default 3 lines to 1 line?

What are you dismounting from? You really shouldn't be using a laptop while riding a motorcycle... ;>{)>

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Oh hey, the 'disable touchpad while typing' worked like a charm at least!
So it's not a matter of over-sensitivity of the touchpad while you're typing....but rather just erratic behavior while you're using the touchpad itself?

What do you mean by "especially when I'm dismounting?"

tfun90
03-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Dismount = lifting my finger from the touchpad.

This problem is not over sensitivity while typing, but rather general over sensitivity. When I remove my finger from the touch pad, the cursor may jump between 5 pixels - making me miss whatever my intended target was - to over half the screen. Occasionally, I'll have to move my cursor in circles to find out what corner it ended up in. The cursor will also occasionally move much slower than usual. The cursor will also (somewhat rarely) jump straight up while I'm moving from point a to point b. To illustrate, some crappy text art of a hypothetical horizontal path:

........'...........

Where I had not moved on the vertical plane at all.

I've been using a touchpad as my primary pointer for years, btw.

Regarding the Vertical Scroll, that function that is currently working fine.

Just got a ghost click, so that's still a problem too.

BrodyBoy
03-28-2012, 03:48 AM
OKay....it sounds very much (to me) like your touchpad may have a failed ground. The G74 touchpads are vulnerable to this, since they use a piece of foil tape for grounding rather than the rigid metal solution used in many other models.

You said you just bought this computer. If you are still within your retailer's return window, just return it as defective and get another one. Don't consider warranty service or anything like that....just get a different one.

If you want to give it one last fair shot at working properly, back up any data you've put on the computer and do a factory restore. (Press F9 at power-up.) This will restore the installation to its out-of-the-box configuration. If the touchpad is malfunctioning in that state, you can consider it defective.

PS: The factory restore is a good idea if you are returning it anyway....it's a good way to wipe all your personal data off the primary hard drive. You'll still need to erase anything you've put on the secondary drive, if you have one.

tfun90
03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Do these laptops even have a touchpad sensitivity adjustment capabilities? I've looked through all the configuration options, and the word sensitivity doesn't come up...

I'll be returning this lappy as defective tomorrow, I'm not even sure I want to wrestle with another one if I can't set the touchpad to work at least passably. I can't always use a mouse!

BrodyBoy
03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Do these laptops even have a touchpad sensitivity adjustment capabilities? I've looked through all the configuration options, and the word sensitivity doesn't come up...

I'll be returning this lappy as defective tomorrow, I'm not even sure I want to wrestle with another one if I can't set the touchpad to work at least passably. I can't always use a mouse!
The Sentelic driver is rather lacking in this respect. But what you're seeing isn't a sensitivity adjustment issue.....it's a hardware failure.

If you decide to try another one, chances are that it won't have this problem and the touchpad will work just fine.

I'm with you, BTW.....there are some who say "oh, I don't care if the touchpad doesn't work, I use a mouse anyway." It's a laptop...and a working touchpad is fundamental to any laptop's all-in-one design.

tfun90
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is an entirely user driven forum or if ASUS monitors what is said, but a touchpad whose sensitivity can't be optimized is hardly a touchpad at all. And don't put the touchpad so close to our palms!