PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX HDMI 1.4 Problem

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,i have an ASUS G74SX-A2 laptop with the latest Nvidia drivers (296.10(clean install)). I bought an HDMI 1.4 to try and connect my laptop to my TV (Samsung UN40D5500+Dongle). I try to detect the TV from my laptop and it doesn't work. I right click on my desktop and choose resolution, then choose detect other displays and none appear there. I also go to NVIDIA control panel and it doesn't appear there either so i choose rigorous display detection and restart my laptop and it still won't detect it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for my bad english.

Mormaii2

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Did you try Fn+F8 to activate the external display? If your computer is simply not detecting any display connection, I'd try a different HDMI cable.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, i've tried the FN+F8 and it only says LCD, i tried pressing it several times and it still isn't recognized. Ok I'll go get another cable and see if that fixes the problem.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I already went to the store and they tried my cable and it worked fine for them :/ any other ideas to fix this problem? :S

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
If you cable the laptop to the TV and go into "Control Panel - Display - Connect to a projector" and click on some of the choices, does it recognize the external display?

Can you connect your laptop to a different TV or external monitor?

Does another computer connect successfully to your Samsung TV?

Take a look at @Bay Wolf's post in this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19428590/20018458.aspx

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
I already went to the store and they tried my cable and it worked fine for them :/ any other ideas to fix this problem? :S
Responded to your PM.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
If you cable the laptop to the TV and go into "Control Panel - Display - Connect to a projector" and click on some of the choices, does it recognize the external display?

Can you connect your laptop to a different TV or external monitor?

Does another computer connect successfully to your Samsung TV?

I went to the connect to a projector options and tried all of them and none of the choices recognize the display.

I haven't tried doing that yet since i only have my laptop and my TV.

I haven't tried that one either since i don't have another computer.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Make sure you've chosen an HDMI-only port on your TV and not DVI/HDMI.

Reboot your system after making the connection.

Bring your laptop with you to the store where you purchased the cable and connect to one of their TV's.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Make sure you've chosen an HDMI-only port on your TV and not DVI/HDMI.

Reboot your system after making the connection.

Bring your laptop with you to the store where you purchased the cable and connect to one of their TV's.

I've connected it to an HDMI only port and not DVI/HDMI

I chose rigorous display detection and rebooted after making the connection. I chose connect to a projector and extended display. Now i'm getting this option on the nVidia control panel, i don't know what that means.

olounda
03-27-2012, 09:18 PM
another idea you could try, is go to asus' website and download their display drivers for the machine. I remember back when i had my g60jx, i could only get the vga and hdmi output to work if i was running on the drivers that asus put out. Its just a suggestion that might narrow down what the underlying issue may be.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
The "extended" display uses the external monitor as addtional real estate (an extension) of your desktop. You can drag windows from your laptop display to the extended desktop on the TV. In your particular setup, you will drag the windows off the right side of your laptop display to move them onto the TV.

Try connecting the TV as an external display, rather than as a projector.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 09:34 PM
The "extended" display uses the external monitor as addtional real estate (an extension) of your desktop. You can drag windows from your laptop display to the extended desktop on the TV. In your particular setup, you will drag the windows off the right side of your laptop display to move them onto the TV.

Try connecting the TV as an external display, rather than as a projector.

I read bay wolf post on that link you posted and i've done everything it says there and i still can't get any image at all. I'll try installing the display drivers asus has because i updated them manually by myself.

EDIT:Which display drivers do you mean olounda? Because the only display drivers that are there are very old nVidia ones.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
From the image you posted, it appears your current NVIDIA driver is detecting the TV. Or it could be just detecting you've got an HDMI cable in the laptop port - but at least it's detecting something.

I suspect you just need to change the input on the TV to display the HDMI port you've chosen for the cable connection.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
From the image you posted, it appears your current NVIDIA driver is detecting the TV. Or it could be just detecting you've got an HDMI cable in the laptop port - but at least it's detecting something.

I suspect you just need to change the input on the TV to display the HDMI port you've chosen for the cable connection.

I've tried changing the input on the TV to display the HDMI port it's on. Here are some pictures.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 09:55 PM
It looks like you've chosen the VGA port on your TV. Plug the HDMI cable into HDMI2 on your TV and then switch your TV's input to HDMI2.

Don't forget to connect the TV as an external monitor, rather than a projector.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 09:59 PM
It looks like you've chosen the VGA port on your TV. Plug the HDMI cable into HDMI2 on your TV and then switch your TV's input to HDMI2.

The VGA option choses itself when i try to choose HDMI and it doesn't recognize any device. I just tried doing it on HDMI port 2 on my TV and it won't work either.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 10:09 PM
I see... I just noticed the [X] on the right side of the TV menu. I guess that shows what port is in use. Then you choose "PC" or "TV' depending on what you want to view.

Can you disconnect the projector (from the projector selections) and try to set up the TV as an external monitor?

I'd like to see separate monitors 1 and 2 in "Screen Resolution" that can be moved and configured individually.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I see... I just noticed the [X] on the right side of the TV menu. I guess that shows what port is in use. Then you choose "PC" or "TV' depending on what you want to view.

Can you disconnect the projector (from the projector selections) and try to set up the TV as an external monitor?

I'd like to see separate monitors 1 and 2 in "Screen Resolution" that can be moved and configured individually.

Ok I've disconnected the projector and tried setting the TV as an external monitor in screen resolution. This is what i get

http://i.imgur.com/y8kfj.jpg

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
If pressing "Detect" a few times and/or rebooting doesn't make it show up, I would next try a "clean install" of a different NVIDIA driver from Windows Safe Mode. I'm currently using the 295.73 WHQL version successfully with my VISIO TV. The 296.10 WHQL version you are using was a quick patch to 295.73, so I'm somewhat surprised it's not working for you. If I were to change, I would either use the stock 268.37 or the 285.64 WHQL version.

Alternatively, I'd head back to the store where you got the cable, with your laptop in hand, and try to connect to one of their TV's.

mormaii2
03-27-2012, 11:56 PM
If pressing "Detect" a few times and/or rebooting doesn't make it show up, I would next try a "clean install" of a different NVIDIA driver from Windows Safe Mode. I'm currently using the 295.73 WHQL version successfully with my VISIO TV. The 296.10 WHQL version you are using was a quick patch to 295.73, so I'm somewhat surprised it's not working for you. If I were to change, I would either use the stock 268.37 or the 285.64 WHQL version.

Alternatively, I'd head back to the store where you got the cable, with your laptop in hand, and try to connect to one of their TV's.

I tried with a clean install of 295.73 WHQL and it doesn't work either :/