PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on BIOS

zack_1989
03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I got a message today on my Asus G74-sx BBK7 on the live update program with many updates needing to be installed. So I ran the update and everything seemed to go fine and install properly Other the two things. My ethernet when installing a supposedly later driver said no driver found, but it works great still so no biggie. Don't know what that was about, and lastly, my BIOS wouldn't update. The driver downloaded and and the BIOS Flash program opened up with and an error saying (The Bios file verson does not match the BIOS rom version. My info is this: Rom Type- Winbond 25X/Q Series G74sx Version- BIOS Revision 201 Date 4/27/2011.... BIOS Image Information: Version- BIOS Revision 202 Date 8/15/2011....
Sorry for the long post, and I assume you don't need the FIle name for the BIOS Image. So it seems it wants to update to 202 I'm assuming but it wont let me becasue of that error. What the heck is Winbond 25X/Q Series rom? Is that stock? I bought this thing brand new and never updated the bios or anything ever before so I haven't changed anything at all. I would really appreciate any help or advice at all.

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Don't use Asus Live Update for BIOS updates.....it's a very risky method that can brick your computer. Frankly, I'd recommend you uninstall it and don't use it for ANY updates.

If you want to update your BIOS, use the EasyFlash utility built into the BIOS.....it's by far the safest method. (EasyFlash instructions. (http://www.mediafire.com/?d4n9c19yoof0y88) Follow the directions explicitly to ensure the best chance of a successful flash.)

fostert
03-28-2012, 03:10 AM
+1: do not use any flash utility based in the operating system! A BIOS is supposed to tell the OS what to do with itself, not the other way round! ;)

ColonelS
03-28-2012, 07:56 AM
+1 to brody and fostert

zack_1989
03-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Thank you all very much for the amazing help lol. So one question though is a bios update important? Like will I get anything out of my computer by flashing the latest BIOS? Thanks again everyone! :)

BrodyBoy
03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you all very much for the amazing help lol. So one question though is a bios update important? Like will I get anything out of my computer by flashing the latest BIOS? Thanks again everyone! :)
Probably nothing you'll notice, if you aren't experiencing any issues. BIOS updates are usually about specific bug fixes, not general performance enhancements.

fostert
03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
A BIOS update usually does not impact raw performance at all, and it generally should be done only to fix a known problem that you're experiencing. Its a risky thing, flashing a BIOS, since you could find your computer does not boot at all afterwards if something went wrong (even if you didn't notice something go wrong!). One thing that might warrant a new flash are for example the recent ASUS BIOS releases (e.g. for the N53 Series which I also own) which enable the AES Instruction set architecture built into Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs: if you use cryptograhic software you'll get a big boost of speed from this hardware acceleration. Maybe the next BIOS for the G74 will enable AES on the 2630 and 2670 CPUs, since they support it.

Bishmar
04-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Need more help with this problem! I've got exact the same problem as OP.
And I really would like to update my BIOS since it fixes problems with numpad witch would work as regular numbers.
I play alot of games that use numpad keys (Garry's Mod for example). So I need this problem to be fixed!
If you guys can explain me more, about how I update without big risks, since I'm pretty new with problems like this..
Thank you very much for your helps.
p.s. English is not my first language so sorry if something wrong

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Need more help with this problem! I've got exact the same problem as OP.
And I really would like to update my BIOS ......

Just ignore all that Asus Live Update stuff about the BIOS, and do not use the WInFlash utility. If you want/need to update your G74 BIOS, follow these instructions (http://www.mediafire.com/?d4n9c19yoof0y88) for updating it with the EasyFlash BIOS utility.

Bishmar
04-01-2012, 03:28 AM
look pretty easy...
wish me good luck :D

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 03:34 AM
look pretty easy...
wish me good luck :D
Good luck! It is pretty easy....just follow the instructions carefully. :)

Bishmar
04-01-2012, 03:36 AM
woooooooot! easier than expected!! fixed problem in less than 15 seconds ^____^
thank you guys for support.

Uddy84
04-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Can I ask for a live download link please?

BrodyBoy
04-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Can I ask for a live download link please?
Sorry about that....I know there are some old links floating around. This should get your there:

G74 Easy Flash Instructions (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vdg51lpjqcmrjqv)

Uddy84
04-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks Brody for the quick reply. I have one question though, can an upgrade to 203 be applied to a 201 BIOS, or do I have to upgrade 201 to 202 first before 203?

BrodyBoy
04-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks Brody for the quick reply. I have one question though, can an upgrade to 203 be applied to a 201 BIOS, or do I have to upgrade 201 to 202 first before 203?
Each update is a complete BIOS image that replaces the existing one, so you can go directly to v203.

Uddy84
04-22-2012, 04:11 AM
It worked. I appreciate your help. Cheers