PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74 New Live Updates Found...Should I Upgrade?

SalmanD550
03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Hi guys.

Quick question. Just got a pop up by Asus today as part of their Live Update Manager. These are the new updates that are available (it doesn't state which part each of these updates are for).

Under the "Drivers" heading:

V6.0.1.6564 125,032kb
V15.3.43.0 110,990kb
V3.5.30.0 5,435kb

Under the Applications heading:

V3.1.2
V1.0.23
V1.0.0015
V1.02.0040
V2.0.8
V1.0.25
V2.32.0
V3.0.27

These are alot of updates! Should I update my system? Are there any benefits or anything? My system has been running fine the way it is but if there's good improvements from these, I wouldn't mind.

Appreciate your thoughts!

BrodyBoy
03-27-2012, 07:41 PM
If you are running all the original software, sure, go ahead. (Many of us around here run clean installations that don't include much of that stuff, and we get most of the essential drivers directly from their manufacturers, not Asus.)

Do not update the BIOS in Asus Live Update/WinFlash. If you want to update the BIOS, use the EasyFlash (http://www.mediafire.com/?d4n9c19yoof0y88)utility. It's much safer.

You said your system is running just fine the way it is.....I think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a perfectly reasonable approach!

Henrysyy
03-27-2012, 09:40 PM
ahh yes i got that exact update note this morning . well since you couldnt see what it was talking about only the version numbers . it was like this .
Drivers
realtek audio driver
fresco usb3.0 driver
applications
asus live update utility
ai recovery utilit .
okay pretty much every default program that came with it is getting an update . but none of them are checked . only the asus live update utility was the one that was checked .

**edit after updating .
okay i dont think updating was a great idea . when i did . it finished updating and exited the program. and never shows up agian . i restart the laptop , and it doesnt load up anymore . so unless the update was to like make itself go away i dont know if you should update.

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 11:08 PM
If the update to Live Update made it go away, then it's a GOOD update! ;>{)>

However, I suspect it is now just a "hidden icon" in your taskbar.

SalmanD550
03-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback!

Brody yeah I didn't update bios like that. I actually updated the Bios the proper way from 201 to 203 way back in January to fix the missing keystroke problem.

These new updates are only driver/applications

Henry, thanks for the info! Yes the Checkmark was automatically on for the Autoupdater (I haven't done that update yet), but the other boxes are unchecked, but I can still check them to update. I just wanted to know if it did anything useful?

Have you installed the other updates yet Henry?

dstra, yeah most likely it is a hidden background updater now.

Henrysyy
03-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Well, here's the thing... I really can't update it anymore. There's nothing there anymore. When i go into the start menu and open asus live update, it just asks me do i give permission to make changes to the computer. I click yes then nothing happens. I thought it was loading or something that took a while so I left it on for couple hours. Nothing popped up. So I kinda think it really is gone now.

BrodyBoy
03-28-2012, 04:48 AM
So I kinda think it really is gone now.
Great! It's not good software....you are better off updating your programs and drivers manually (and not having that piece of bloatware running in the background all the time!).

Henrysyy
03-28-2012, 05:28 AM
***Re-edit After a few tries of getting it to open and show up.
okay so here is there thing. I controlled alt delete and found the process running , but it didnt show up . so i shut it down and reopened it and a new interface for asus live update came up . so that part of updating only the check asus live update went fine. now the other 11 recommended updates. They are all updated versions of the drivers and apps that it has on your laptop. like read the release date on most of them some actually just came out early this month . so safe to say i checked all these updates and updated them . 10 out of 11 of them . The update i didn't really want to touch was
Windows BIOS Flash Utility .size 356.67 KB . Version;V2.32.0 Release Time;2011/11/01
i dont know if that is related to the easyflash bios 203 i did recently so i didnt want to touch that one . although if someone did tell me what it is and if it is safe then i will proceed to update that as well . the only thing stopping me right now is that it isnt a new update from the release time and its a year old update that never showed up .

BrodyBoy
03-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Windows BIOS Flash Utility .size 356.67 KB . Version;V2.32.0 Release Time;2011/11/01
i dont know if that is related to the easyflash bios 203 i did recently so i didnt want to touch that one . although if someone did tell me what it is and if it is safe then i will proceed to update that as well . the only thing stopping me right now is that it isnt a new update from the release time and its a year old update that never showed up .
You already updated your BIOS, so you're good. That update is for the WinFlash program, Asus' Windows-based BIOS update utility....that you should never use. (Sounds like you already know that, so just uninstall it rather than bothering to keep it updated.)

SalmanD550
03-28-2012, 05:19 PM
ah I see Henry.

How did you know which update belongs to which application/driver??? ..On my live update box it just shows the size and the version of the update.

Brody, I agree that Asus fills in alot of bloatware. Personally I've uninstalled quite a few programs, but I've left a few like LiveUpdate.

It'd be a huge hassle having to go to 10 different manufacturers all for updates...*if* the live update works properly and updates like it should then I don't mind keeping it. But I will avoid updating the bios one.

BrodyBoy
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Brody, I agree that Asus fills in alot of bloatware. Personally I've uninstalled quite a few programs, but I've left a few like LiveUpdate.

It'd be a huge hassle having to go to 10 different manufacturers all for updates...*if* the live update works properly and updates like it should then I don't mind keeping it. But I will avoid updating the bios one.
Actually, it's four.....Intel, nVidia, and Realtek (and then Asus for their proprietary ones) source all the G74 drivers.

"If" is your operative term, though. Asus is usually at least several months behind in keeping their drivers updated...much longer once a model has been replaced.....so I prefer to go straight to the sources to keep more current. But more importantly, for me anyway, I just hate having those pervasive little "phone home" utilities and their intrusive pop-ups running on my system all the time, so I always disable them. (I really don't need my printer driver informing me that it's up to date! :rolleyes:)

But hey, to each his own. If you like Live Update, by all means use it. For OEM installations, it's probably a good way to keep the system within spec.

SalmanD550
03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Brody, thanks for the info, I wasn't aware it was only 4 manufacturers. You've given me alot to think about...and I will go thru the manufacturers to upgrade the firmware ;). So thanks to you for that

But do you know how to tell which version number that comes up on the Live Update screen would correspond to the driver/application? Like Henry, knew some of the versions...I was curious to know how somone could tell since the name of the driver/application isn't on live update.

Is there some website that says it? I tried searching couldn't find anything...

Perhaps I am overlooking something? I hope not.

Henrysyy
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
lol salman ill upload a picture ... umm lets see..7229 yea it just says right there next to it

BrodyBoy
03-29-2012, 07:40 PM
But do you know how to tell which version number that comes up on the Live Update screen would correspond to the driver/application? Like Henry, knew some of the versions...I was curious to know how somone could tell since the name of the driver/application isn't on live update.

Is there some website that says it? I tried searching couldn't find anything...

Perhaps I am overlooking something? I hope not.
No, it's not you....it's very confusing.

Here's the thing: When Asus distributes drivers, they re-package them in their own installers, which have their own version numbers (distinct from the drivers' version numbers as assigned by the manufacturer).

If you really want to determine which drivers are listed there, you could go to the downloads page for your model and hunt through the drivers list, finding the number patterns that match those you see on Live Update. But I believe Henry may have already done the heavy lifting and listed them in this post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12056-Asus-G74-New-Live-Updates-Found...Should-I-Upgrade&p=86934&viewfull=1#post86934).

Alternately, if you intend to update directly from the manufacturers, you probably don't need to bother with all that, since those are apt to be older drivers anyway.

SalmanD550
03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
ahh thanks for your pic Henry!! My Live Update seems to be a much more archiac older version! Here's what mine looks like...

ahh I see Brody, many thanks to both of you! this is excellent information :).