PDA

View Full Version : 3080 TUF with (Bios)error (Biosswitch / Fanstop)

tStorm86
09-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Hello,

I am from germany, I'm sorry for my bad english!

I bought a Asus RTX3080 TUF on Releaseday. From beginning the card has two little problems:

1.) If I switch from performance Bios to Silent Bios there is no change at the fans. Same RPM at same temperatures!
I found other users with the same problem / bug.

2.) The fan stop under 36C does not work most times. The fans don't stop even if the card is under 30C cold! Only on circa one of ten times the fanstop works. But if it not works the fan rotates constant with 1000RPM.
I found only one user until now with the same error.

I would like to know if this are known bugs oder there will follow a fix (new Bios?) or if this is not known at ASUS. Perhaps there is a quick fix I can do on myself? Info: using ASUS tool or Afterburner doesn't change behavior.

with greetings,
Sven

Hoppel
09-30-2020, 07:58 PM
Hi Sven,

I have the problem with the not working fan-stop too. But only when the card is installed in my main computer. In another computer it works. I am suspecting Afterburner did mess something up in a way it persists even after I uninstalled Afterburner.

For your other problem I have a solution: For the BIOS-Switch to take effect, I needed to reinstall the graphics card driver. Then it changes from quiet to performances an vice versa.

Greetings
Hoppel (also from germany)

loccc
10-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Hey. I have Asus RTX3080 TUF OC with exactly same fan problem. Fan stop doesnt work. I've tried both OC and Quiet mode switches. Also with afterburner I can only slow fan speed to 30%. Setting fan below that does nothing. With latest Asus GPUTweak I cant set fan speed below 50% which is also the default of the card. I think this is way too high while gpu temperature is only 30C in desktop use. I hope new driver/vbios will fix it soon.

tStorm86
10-02-2020, 05:12 PM
Hello,

so it's good to knew, that I'm not the only one with this problem. So I hope that ASUS read this and can fix the problem with a new BIOS perhaps.

loccc
10-03-2020, 08:01 AM
I did additional testing and what I found was that fans run at 53% even if gpu temperature is as low as 30C and there is no gpu usage. Fans will stop immediately when monitor goes to sleep though! I did multiple test with different monitor sleep times even and it always behaved the same.

Hoppel
10-03-2020, 08:56 AM
I did additional testing and what I found was that fans run at 53% even if gpu temperature is as low as 30C and there is no gpu usage. Fans will stop immediately when monitor goes to sleep though! I did multiple test with different monitor sleep times even and it always behaved the same.

I tested this too, but I can not confirm this behavior with my setup. My fans keep spinning with 53% even when the monitor goes to sleep or is out.

tStorm86
10-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Hello,

so, I did a clean Install of Windows today just to be sure, that there aren't any issues from the Afterburner, Asus Utility or old drivers.
But the problem is still the same, Fans are moving with 1000RPM even under 30 C.

So I am sure that the problem comes not from a broken Afterburner or other tool! I think it's a Bios thing.

Does ASUS read this forum? Or should we contact the support to tell them from the problems?

Wyndstorn
10-04-2020, 07:30 PM
Hi. I've the exact same behaviour as loccc with my TUF 3080. Fans are able to stop when card is not being monitored, but the most slight graphic load, like a Youtube video in SD, causes the card's fans to start spinning, despite temps being lower than 30 degrees c.

When fans spin with these kind of light loads, they go at 53%.

I think the card was supposed to stop the fans whenever temps were lower than 55 degrees c.

loccc
10-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Hey. I have not confirmed this but apparently currently the vbios cut off for fan off mode is 55C and load under 30W. My card never goes below 30W even when I don't do anything. Typical desktop shows ~40W or so. It goes below 30W though when monitor goes to sleep and then fans god off as well. I know that Strix model of this card has this same behavior.

Wyndstorn
10-04-2020, 08:57 PM
I don't know... According to gpuz, I can get consistent 30-40w board consumption levels with fans stopped:

loccc
10-04-2020, 09:08 PM
Wyndstorn could you check your vbios version with gpuz? Mine is 94.02.26.80.EE. I checked few review sites which had gpuz screenshot up and they all had 94.02.26.40.67 (kitguru.net, techpowerup.com example)

Update this post to say that my card bios version for:
Quiet mode: 94.02.26.80.EE
OC mode: 94.02.26.80.EF
Both bios has same frequency and power target. Only difference is that the fan is more aggressive and spins faster with OC bios when under load. Idle fan speed is same 53% and fans only stop when monitor goes to sleep.

Not related to fan speeds but other thing I noticed and double tested is limited power target compared to the cards what reviewers had.
My cards default power target is normal 340W as it should but when I apply 110% power target (maximum the vbios allows) I only get 355W and it should be 375W. So all in all something is wrong with this vbios with the fans not stopping and also with maximum power target.

Wyndstorn
10-05-2020, 06:03 AM
Ok, I'll post it later today, when I return home.

One thing that I'm wondering is if the vbios version changes depending on the "mode" selected through the switch in the card (performance vs quiet).

tStorm86
10-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Hi,

when I maxed out the PT my card will use only 355W, too.
But that's ok for me.

I hope that one of my ordered waterblocks will be delivered this month. Then the problem is gone for me.
But I think ASUS should fix it !

Wyndstorn
10-05-2020, 03:43 PM
It seems I have a different vbios version. Mine in performace mode (also bear in mind that my card is a TUF non OC version):

Wyndstorn
10-05-2020, 04:07 PM
Hi again.

I just found that this issue is also being discussed here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc.272258/page-3

Wyndstorn
10-06-2020, 05:51 AM
Hi all.

I'm sharing a new member's (sis3970) comment that he has PMd me, as he still can't post in the forum until his account is manually approved:

There is no issue, or at least not with my bios. I initially had the same issue, and started troubleshooting.

When I set in Nvidia Control Panel the power settings to "adaptive" instead of "performance" it seems to be fixed. Not at first, but after a reboot. If you would still need to switch to "performance", you could use the "always 3D" setting in GPU Tweak II, as this does not require a reboot to kick in.

Hoping this helps

This is not my case, as I already have had that setting to "adaptive" since the beginning, and I haven't even touched it, ever.

tStorm86
10-06-2020, 01:31 PM
It makes no difference between "Performance" and "adaptive" for my card. The fans still are rotating...

cl3232
10-08-2020, 07:40 AM
I think all TUF 3080 and 3090 have the same issue. I have it too.

There are threads on computerbase.de, hardwareluxx.de, ltt.com, reddit and techpowerup withe the fan issue.

I Flashed a BIOS from a reviewers card (94.02.26.40.68) and it changed nothing.

ASUS should give us the the control over the FANs. Custom fan curves in GPUTweakII and/or Afterbunrer does not work (GPU Tweak) or not well (AB).

I Think its a BIOS and driver problem, because the problem is not consistent.

The following has impact to the fan function:

- Windows Power Profile
- If you have one or more monitors connected
- If your monitor is 60Hz+
- if you watch a Video

Wyndstorn
10-08-2020, 10:49 AM
In my case, fans stop quite often and keep being stopped while there is no graphics load, for example, Internet browsing, office, etc. But if I trigger the slightest load like an SD YouTube video, the fans turn on and keep working until that load is closed, despite GPU temps being as low as 28 C.

tStorm86
10-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Hello,

ASUS know the problem and is looking for the reasons now.

loccc
10-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Hello,

ASUS know the problem and is looking for the reasons now.

Hey. That's great to hear. Where you got this info and do you know if will the power limit of 355W (105%) will be fixed also? Power Limit should be 110% and 375W.
I also mailed about the fan issue to asus support and just got pretty generic email back asking to reinstall drivers etc. which ofc do not help at all. (but I've tried that anyway.)

tStorm86
10-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Hello,

I know this because I'm in contact in a big german Forum with an Editor. He had the same problems with a TUF 3090 and has direct contact to ASUS.
He also tell's them our problem with the 355W PT and they want to look for it, too.

Here is the Thread: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/ein-fast-perfekter-allrounder-asus-tuf-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-oc-im-test.1278163/unread
But it's all in german :)

b_wellington
10-10-2020, 07:54 PM
Yes, but what about the custom curve being unable to set fans lower than certain ammount?
For my non-oc tuf i can set the fans at the minimum of 46% fan speed which results in reading 660 rpm. But i reallly would like to set up the fan curve the way i like it with fan stop.
My power limit also appears to be around 350.

tStorm86
10-11-2020, 07:43 AM
Hi,

don't know if this will be fixed, too. I don't set custom fan curves.

First feedback to our problem with fan - stop from ASUS was, that the problem could be the 30W Limit. The fan stop don't need only a low temperature, rather the consumption has to be under 30W, too.

Perhaps they will take this limit to 50W with a new bios, they say.

Other Cards have this limit too, Inno 3D for example. There is a consumption Limit for fan stop, too. And the temperature of the RAM is supervised too and if it's to hot the fan stop don't work. But this has no importance for our cards, only an example.

b_wellington
10-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Usually if the BIOS releases, where should people look for it?

tStorm86
10-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Hello,

I think we have to look here ---> https://www.asus.com/de/Graphics-Cards/TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/
But you have to look on the page for your own country.

If they don't upload it there, I think we have to use an ASUS tool for it.

But I don't know, that's only my thoughts.

cl3232
10-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Palit fixed the Problem a while ago. they had also a 30W threshold and now 50W.

So ASUS should fix that Problem ASAP.

It should be a huge problem to set a new value in a BIOS - from 30W to 50W. I mean, in the past they had special OC BIOS versions only for overclockers....

A official statement would be great

HighFive86
10-14-2020, 02:44 AM
Hi all,

Same problem here (vbios: 94.02.26.40.6E) with the fan stop not working correctly.
When im doing nothing on desktop, the fans stop. But when i open browser the fans start spinning until i idle in browser.
Fans also constantly spinning at 53% when a program like GPU TweakII or afterburner is running, but stop after closing it.

It seems like the fans do stop sometimes, but it's not working right and are spinning at very low loads and temps.
I hope there will be a quick fix soon.

When there is a fix, where do we look for it? I know ASUS GPU TweakII has a live update tool, but i'm not sure
how to use it and if the automatic updates work.

Greetings from Holland.

reavl
10-15-2020, 09:13 AM
VBIOS 94.02.26.80.AS06 and I have the same problem, They always run at 53% or 1000RPM. I remember before I tried to apply custom curves it would be behave better, but after I set it once it just defaults to 53% as lowest and will never stop. I normally use MSI Afterburner, with ASUS GPU TweakII I managed to get it to 44% 600RPM for a short moment but then it stopped working too.

maciabit
10-15-2020, 11:10 AM
Hi everybody,
I'm also facing the problem reported in this thread. I own a RTX 3080 Strix OC, the fan speed remains fixed at 53%, and the only way to change it is by applying a higher value. For example, both the 0dB mode and the assignment of a new profile with the fans speed set to 0% (as in the picture), do not apply any change. The GPU BIOS version is 94.02.26.C0.0F, the drivers are the latest NVIDIA available (456.71) and the O.S. is Windows 10 x64 update 2004. I also tested the card in a PC with a fresh Windows installation. Same problem.
Before starting Windows, inside the BIOS of the motherboard or after uninstalling the drivers (not only the NVIDIA ones, but also the default Windows 10 drivers) the fans of the card remain stationary (0% speed, as it should be), while as soon as the drivers are loaded and the card is recognized, the speed of the fans remains fixed at 53%.

reavl
10-15-2020, 10:51 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm also facing the problem reported in this thread. I own a RTX 3080 Strix OC, the fan speed remains fixed at 53%, and the only way to change it is by applying a higher value. For example, both the 0dB mode and the assignment of a new profile with the fans speed set to 0% (as in the picture), do not apply any change. The GPU BIOS version is 94.02.26.C0.0F, the drivers are the latest NVIDIA available (456.71) and the O.S. is Windows 10 x64 update 2004. I also tested the card in a PC with a fresh Windows installation. Same problem.
Before starting Windows, inside the BIOS of the motherboard or after uninstalling the drivers (not only the NVIDIA ones, but also the default Windows 10 drivers) the fans of the card remain stationary (0% speed, as it should be), while as soon as the drivers are loaded and the card is recognized, the speed of the fans remains fixed at 53%.

The very first boot I had with the card I had my fan curves from my GTX 1080 STRIX on MSI Afterburner and it would follow my custom curve, including full stop. Or it might have been its default fan curve but the fans did spin down to full stop. I had already preinstalled 456.55 at that point. Don't know if the issue came after I installed 456.71 but reverting to 456.55 did not help.

Only thing I've been able to change now is with ASUS GPUTweakII to get them to 51%. 51% also works with MSI Afterburner now. I mean it's something cause that is 900rpm istead of 1000rpm. I really hope this is not a hardware issue.

Goger
10-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Same problem here with my 3080 TUF Non OC, (silent) Bios version 94.02.26.80.fd. Fans run at minimum 53% on auto.

Asus please fix this.

Gielz
10-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Same problem here with ASUS TUF 3090 non oc. Even in MSI afterburner if you set the fan speed to 30% it saves the speed to 53%.

Fix this GPU asus!

tStorm86
10-16-2020, 11:23 AM
At this weekend ASUS will release a new Bios that will fix the fanstop error!

Gielz
10-16-2020, 11:35 AM
At this weekend ASUS will release a new Bios that will fix the fanstop error!

Who told you this, since i still didnt hear anything from ASUS.

tStorm86
10-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Like I told before: We have an editor from an online magazine who has direct contact to ASUS in Taiwan an he was helping us with the problem. He got this information from ASUS.

And the new BIOS has arrived now, you can download it at ASUS or get the direct links from here:

3080 TUF: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Graphic%20Card/NVIDIA/BIOSUPDATE_TOOL/3080biosupdate.zip
3090 TUF: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Graphic%20Card/NVIDIA/BIOSUPDATE_TOOL/3090biosupdate.zip

There are new Bios for Strix, too. They have the same problem.
For me the new BIOS works as well. I hope you can enjoy your new Card a little bit more now :)

It would be nice if somebody can post this in Tech-Power-Up forum, too. I don't have an account there and don't want to make one.

Gielz
10-16-2020, 02:58 PM
Like I told before: We have an editor from an online magazine who has direct contact to ASUS in Taiwan an he was helping us with the problem. He got this information from ASUS.

And the new BIOS has arrived now, you can download it at ASUS or get the direct links from here:

3080 TUF: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Graphic%20Card/NVIDIA/BIOSUPDATE_TOOL/3080biosupdate.zip
3090 TUF: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Graphic%20Card/NVIDIA/BIOSUPDATE_TOOL/3090biosupdate.zip

There are new Bios for Strix, too. They have the same problem.
For me the new BIOS works as well. I hope you can enjoy your new Card a little bit more now :)

It would be nice if somebody can post this in Tech-Power-Up forum, too. I don't have an account there and don't want to make one.

Does this fix the fan speed or does it have extra fixes? Cant find releasenotes.

Gielz
10-16-2020, 03:27 PM
New bios works great here;

tStorm86
10-16-2020, 03:49 PM
It should only fix the fan-stop issue. Fans now will start at a consumption of 50W. Before it was at 30W.
We got no information about other problems like the low PT.

pear235
10-16-2020, 04:39 PM
It should only fix the fan-stop issue. Fans now will start at a consumption of 50W. Before it was at 30W.

Is it for 3090 OC too?

Wyndstorn
10-16-2020, 05:35 PM
Is it for 3090 OC too?

Yes, it seems to be targeted to all Asus' RTX 3080 and 3090 cards, both TUF and Strix.

The updater tool recognizes the specific card and bios in use (performance or quiet), and updates it accordingly.

avengerdot0_
10-16-2020, 06:09 PM
do i need to update both BIOS separately? Like switch, updatte, switch, update?

tStorm86
10-16-2020, 06:13 PM
Yes, both versions are in the file. The installer is choosing the right bios for your card on itself.

@avengerdot0:

I don't know, but I think so.

schmittoak
10-17-2020, 12:33 AM
do i need to update both BIOS separately? Like switch, updatte, switch, update?

Yep, can confirm. You gotta update the Performance and Quiet BIOS seperately.
I'm glad they fixed it so fast and I can enjoy a silent 0RPM card while surfing and watching movies. :)

shamsulaswad
10-17-2020, 01:19 AM
New bios works great here;

what software is this? :D

prepa
10-17-2020, 07:22 AM
Is fix this valid for STRIX 3080 OC?

Gielz
10-17-2020, 09:25 AM
what software is this? :D

Open source program called https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

DplanetHD
10-17-2020, 03:18 PM
Hello :cool:,

My 3090 TUF O24G has the non-stop fan issue problem since the beginning (Quiet Mode bios option, in Silent Mode and 0dB Fan on)

Today I have seen the new VBios available for my card here :

https://www.asus.com/fr/Graphics-Cards/TUF-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

And I have downloaded it and successfully installed it (it took around 10mn to install, with a success message at the end).

My new Bios Version is 94.02.26.48.5E.

But after rebboting my PC with the new Bios sucessfully installed, I still have the same non-stop fan issue !

https://i.imgur.com/FSdv7hM.jpg https://i.imgur.com/ObBVdMZ.jpg

Here are my actual configuration in GPU Tweak II in Silent Mode with 0dB Fan on,

but my fans are at minimum 1000 RPM (53%), always in movement :

https://i.imgur.com/9sNx0Xu.jpg https://i.imgur.com/YpFK86F.jpg

I do not understand where is the problem coming from.

Is it coming from my settings in GPU Tweak II ?

I am in Silent Mode with 0dB Fan on, in Defaut mode, with no change in it :

https://i.imgur.com/mwEDJxY.jpg https://i.imgur.com/YQ2MiSL.jpg

Do I need to set Silent Mode to other settings than Default to obtain the 0dB Fan option running correctly ? :confused:

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Wyndstorn
10-17-2020, 06:34 PM
PMDplanetHD, your "Board Power Draw" in GPU Tweak appears to be quite high (79w), so it seems to me that that's the reason why your fans are running.

Asus' new bioses enable the power off of fans when cards' power draw is less that 50w; before this update it was 30w.

Do you have more than one display connected to the card? Also, do you use refresh rates higher than 60 Hz? These can be some causes for higher power draws in graphics card when idling, because of course, I'm assuming you're not running anything graphics related when testing this.

DplanetHD
10-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Many thanks for your answer Wyndstorn.

I also thought that my Power Draw was the problem (79 W), but I have seen another person who has a very low one (32 W) and who has also the same problem of 0 dB fan with this new VBios version on his 3090.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc.272258/page-6

So I think it is not the Power Draw the (main) source of the problem...

We need another VBios version from Asus to solve this for our 3090 I think.

By the way, I have had WAllPaper Engine runing in the back, but when I pause it (or close it) I have only 1 W of difference.
I have 3 monitors @ 60 Hz connected to my 3090, but as the problem is not (mainly) form the Power Draw...

DplanetHD
10-17-2020, 09:51 PM
And to be sure :o,

here is the info without WallPaper Engine on the LEFT side, and with WallPaper Engine running on the RIGHT side :

https://i.imgur.com/1chJ4K6.jpg https://i.imgur.com/QLoFNM3.jpg

But with or without WallPaper Engine, the 0 dB fan issue is the same, and no change with this new VBios version.

reavl
10-18-2020, 01:16 AM

New VBIOS didn't work for me, still stuck at 51% fan speeds. Here is my power usage on idle, which one is the 30W you are talking about?. This is after rebooting and pretty much no programs running at all. 86537
VBIOS 92.02.26.48.41 now. It used to clock down when not doing anything but it likes to stay at 1785mhz for no reason at 0% load.

F-man4
10-18-2020, 01:25 AM
New VBIOS didn't work for me, still stuck at 51% fan speeds. Here is my power usage on idle, which one is the 30W you are talking about?. This is after rebooting and pretty much no programs running at all. 86537
VBIOS 92.02.26.48.41 now
This is not idle.
Your PC may be injected by mining software or something.
Real idle is just like this.

reavl
10-18-2020, 01:59 AM
This is not idle.
Your PC may be injected by mining software or something.
Real idle is just like this.

I have 3 screens, but GPU load is 0% and fan stop does work on my GTX 1080 strix. :/ Here is more info.

F-man4
10-18-2020, 02:19 AM

I have 3 screens, but GPU load is 0% and fan stop does work on my GTX 1080 strix. :/ Here is more info.
I have 2 screens but I don't think a 3rd screen will increase the power from 30 to 100.
BTW the fan doesn't drop to 0 until it reaches 35C once.

reavl
10-18-2020, 02:41 AM
I have 2 screens but I don't think a 3rd screen will increase the power from 30 to 100.
BTW the fan doesn't drop to 0 until it reaches 35C once.

It's weird that mine doesn't clock down anymore at idle, it used to clock down to a few hundred. It used to go down to 29C though, but fans still running. Just got it below 35C and it still wont stop :(. Most of my problems started after i updated to newest nvidia .71 drivers. Fan stop did work before. But it doesn't help to downgrade it looks like.

OK, FIXED IT. FOUND the fix in this thread: https://forums.evga.com/Xc3-3080-draws-100watts-idle-m3102494.aspx

Ok so the virus you were talking about was NVIDIA software. even at 42C and 40W power draw it will stop now :)

The fix is to put NVIDIA control panel power settings to Optimal, then reboot. Now my card clock down properly and draws 35-40W on desktop. And ofc, fan stop works :). Ok so one thing I found out is that MSI Afterburner fan curves will mess with it and lowest it will go is 51% unless you press the reset to default button. Anyways, the fans are inaudible at 51%, I just like to let my fans rest when they can.

Well, the performance gets tanked a bit though with optimal power settings rather than maximum performance.

avengerdot0_
10-18-2020, 03:09 AM
Guys I found an issue with the new BIOS. If you go to afterburner and set a manual fan %, it will not match the value you enter. I set mine for 55% and it goes to 70%. Same thing for the fan curve. It seems there is a mismatch between the actual speed and the way afterburner (and argus) are reading them!

Please test!

reavl
10-18-2020, 03:12 AM
Guys I found an issue with the new BIOS. If you go to afterburner and set a manual fan %, it will not match the value you enter. I set mine for 55% and it goes to 70%. Same thing for the fan curve. It seems there is a mismatch between the actual speed and the way afterburner (and argus) are reading them!

Please test!

I've had this issue even with the old BIOS. Afterburner just doesn't seem to work with it sadly. Can't get it to go below 51% either. Speed readings seem to match actual speed, but I don't have a tachometer to confirm. My speed readings in Argus match with Afterburner and GPU-Z. Just the fan curves and manual settings don't seem to work.

DplanetHD
10-18-2020, 02:23 PM
I have the same problem with the new VBios installed on my 3090 TUF 024G.

I have 3 screens (2 monitors 60 Hz and 1 HC Receiver/TV xK 60 Hz).

The TV is only for Gaming, so usually when I am in idle mode on the PC, the TV is Off.

But the main problem is that the TV is connected via a HomeCinema Receiver (Yamaha 3050) to the 3090 HDMI card.

And of course the CEC is activated on the TV (and the Yamaha receiver 3050).

So the receiver Yamaha 3050 is sending (regularly) some "check impulses" throught the HDMI to "see/detect" the connection (part of the HDMI CEC specifications) :

it is very important even than if the TV is Off than the Yamaha 3050 receiver is in fact On and (and selected/put on the correct HDMI entry of the TV) to send to the 3090 HDMI ouptput that the TV is really Off !

Without this setting (Yamaha 3050 receiver On), the 3090 card still sees the TV as On (even if the TV is really Off) and as a consequence the 3090 card has a Board Power Draw of 80 Watts : and of course the fans start to run.

So :

- with the TV detected by the 3090 as On : my 3090 Board Power Draw is 83 W (fan run) -LEFT picture

- without the TV detected by the 3090 as On : my 3090 Board Power Draw is 40 W (No fan run) -RIGHT picture :

https://i.imgur.com/jkAEale.jpg https://i.imgur.com/bdKj7A2.jpg

Of course, for my use I would prefer than the "idle" limit for the new VBios version fo the Board Power Draw should be 100 W instead of the actual (new) 50 W.

Because with the 3 screens On (2 monitors and the TV), of course I can be on idle with the PC !

( the TV is On not for the PC usage but for viewing some network shows in the background for instance)
But in this case the 3090 card sees the TV as On so the its Board Power Draw jumps to 80 W and the fan start to run...

So, the good new is the new VBios brings some improuvment with the 50 W limit, but this 50 W limit is too short, and I hope that it can be set to a 100 W in a future new VBios...

HighFive86
10-18-2020, 09:48 PM
The fan stop is actually working almost perfect now, but not with a custom fan curve.
I have problems with setting a custom fan curve in msi afterburner that works.

Sometimes the fans spin slower than they are supposed to or stop when they are not supposed to with a custom fan curve.
So thats weird.

Goger
10-20-2020, 07:26 AM
VBIOS 92.02.26.48.41 now. It used to clock down when not doing anything but it likes to stay at 1785mhz for no reason at 0% load.

I had something similar. Turns out that there was a service active called something like "ASUS COM SERVICE". When I deactivated it the power draw went from 100W to 40W for 2 screens.

Goger
10-20-2020, 07:27 AM
Anyone else seing only 350W max powerlimit no matter what? This didn't change for me with the new bios.

avengerdot0_
10-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Anyone else seing only 350W max powerlimit no matter what? This didn't change for me with the new bios.

doesnt the quiet BIOS cap at 350w?

Goger
10-21-2020, 06:52 AM
I get no more than 350W with both BIOS versions, silent and performance.

TobyB
10-24-2020, 05:27 PM
I get no more than 350W with both BIOS versions, silent and performance.

It is the same for most people I've seen, I get spikes of 370w+ during Furmark benches, with a 360w sustained. For gaming it never really goes above 350/353w for some reason.

amon.akira
10-25-2020, 01:10 PM
It is the same for most people I've seen, I get spikes of 370w+ during Furmark benches, with a 360w sustained. For gaming it never really goes above 350/353w for some reason.

yes me too, updated and i always got max 355watt powerlimit to 117% (is more like 110% real). (i have 3080 tuf non-oc)

any chance to fix this to real 375w bios? anyway there are bios from other brands with better powerlimit?

TobyB
10-25-2020, 05:40 PM
yes me too, updated and i always got max 355watt powerlimit to 117% (is more like 110% real). (i have 3080 tuf non-oc)

any chance to fix this to real 375w bios? anyway there are bios from other brands with better powerlimit?

Apparently it is due to the PCIe slot not providing the full 75w due to a reserve but I'm not sure. Unless ASUS release a BIOS providing a higher power limit, or flashing the BIOS to another 2x8pin with a higher PL I think you can't get higher. I haven't seen anyone having a sustained 375w draw... Does the founders edition have a sustained 370w draw? If this is the case then I don't understand how the TUF/TUF oc can't, as the TUF PCB is of much better quality.

torexko
10-26-2020, 10:59 PM
Apparently it is due to the PCIe slot not providing the full 75w due to a reserve but I'm not sure. Unless ASUS release a BIOS providing a higher power limit, or flashing the BIOS to another 2x8pin with a higher PL I think you can't get higher. I haven't seen anyone having a sustained 375w draw... Does the founders edition have a sustained 370w draw? If this is the case then I don't understand how the TUF/TUF oc can't, as the TUF PCB is of much better quality.

That's a very good observation and you are probably right.
But I don't think a higher power limit would help on a 2x8pin card, since one 8pin is obviously limited to 150W...

moderntalking
10-29-2020, 09:47 AM

My GPU is at 33C and my fans are always running. Is that normal?
I received my 3080 yesterday.

Any fixes availible?

SurfXombie
10-29-2020, 10:48 AM
Has anyone had this message pop up when trying to update this VBIOS?

I have a Tuf OC 3080

As far as I can work out the updates for the VBIOS should be (from the testini.txt file in the updater)

Power - 94.02.26.80.EF (AS05) updates to 94.02.26.48.40 (AS13)
Silent - 94.02.26.80.EE (AS06) updates to 94.02.26.48.41 (AS14)

When I run the updator I just get the error "Your grafic card no need to update VBIOS!"

https://i.imgur.com/ubHINJK.png
https://i.imgur.com/izyWNjF.png
https://i.imgur.com/BRG7dc9.png

TobyB
10-29-2020, 06:03 PM
My TUF OC never goes below 100w even in idle.. not sure how to fix it but the fan 0db never kicks in. Also installing GPU Tweak II the rpm stays at 1000 no matter what even with the new bios. MSI Afterburner is now acting up after the new game ready driver.

b_wellington
10-29-2020, 08:32 PM
I just noticed this, today i have updated the drivers and noticed that manual fan settings result in lower percentage than what i actually set.
It's like if i want to run fans at 45% i need to set them at 62%
70% results in 57%
Only 100% is 100%, even 95% results in 92% actual.
Anyone noticed this? All i did is latest driver update. This only applies to manual and custom curves, the default fan control works as it should topping at around 2000 rpm to hold 65C.
The upside of this bug is that i can actually set up custom curve with fan stop that is entirely temperature based.
Because at 46% set fans wont even start.
I use Afterburner software.

Goger
10-30-2020, 03:10 PM
My TUF OC never goes below 100w even in idle.. not sure how to fix it but the fan 0db never kicks in. Also installing GPU Tweak II the rpm stays at 1000 no matter what even with the new bios. MSI Afterburner is now acting up after the new game ready driver.

I had this problem. Make sure there is no service running called "ASUS COM SERVICE"

SurfXombie
11-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Having had an issue where Asus's firmware update fails, and they have gone silent on it I sorted it out myself by manually applying it with the files they provide (see separate topic).

My Tuf OC 3080 now has the fans stop at low usage, and the power has increased (though I have not seen a performance bump because of that).

I have managed a +240 on the clock and +1000 on the mem. Previously I was stuck at +230 on the clock.

ElGranPC
11-05-2020, 06:21 PM
I found my problem and I resolved it. It was the new Nvidia GFE Beta, wich has OC and Fan controls. I use Afterburner with manual fan control but I set it to Auto to test the 0db fan. It happens than the fan control of GFE switched to "Manual" at "34%" without me knowing. The fans had the following behaviour: They started/stopped every 2 seconds, at about 200-500 rpm. All the time. I didnt check at first so I tested a game, It did not run fast, so I checked the GPU: Use:99% clock: 1440 Mhz ? Temperature....... 91 Celsius......
The fans were start/stopping all the time, no cooling. Upon changing GFE fan control to "Auto" everything worked normal.
I updated BIOS to last one with fixed 0db fan control : 92.02.26.48.40

Blake@ROG
11-10-2020, 03:59 AM
Dear all,
This issue has been reported.
I will keep you updated if there is progress.
Thank you.

jaaans
11-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Having had an issue where Asus's firmware update fails, and they have gone silent on it I sorted it out myself by manually applying it with the files they provide (see separate topic).

My Tuf OC 3080 now has the fans stop at low usage, and the power has increased (though I have not seen a performance bump because of that).

I have managed a +240 on the clock and +1000 on the mem. Previously I was stuck at +230 on the clock.

How did you apply the update manually?

I have this same issue, TUF OC 3080 BIOS update says "no need to update VBIOS" but I can see from GPU-Z that I am running the old BIOS. I really am not comfortable using nvflash as I have never used it before so I would need precise instructions.

Best would be if Asus would fix the firmware updater. Why is Asus silent on this issue?

Blake@ROG
12-07-2020, 06:34 AM
Dear all,
Please refer to below FAQ for the Fan Stop design for the 30 series card
https://rog.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044879
Thank you.

bloodlynx
12-07-2020, 03:52 PM
Dear all,
Please refer to below FAQ for the Fan Stop design for the 30 series card
https://rog.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044879
Thank you.

This still doens't work my GPU temp is 25 degrees (because the fans are always on :mad:) and gpu-z shows board power of 38 watts.
Note: The bios update tool doesn't work for me! I don't have the latest bios but because my bios a different version than the one the tool can update it just says "no need to update". Please fix the bios update tool so it works for all older bios version! It's just always at 53% even with GPU tweak installed.

a1990330
12-17-2020, 03:04 PM
new bios update 2020/12/14

-Further optimize the performance for 0dB fan feature
-Fixed motherboard “beeping” bug during computer start-up