PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74Sx Bios Brick after update

Igorfosp
03-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Good morning everyone. I hope you guys can help me. Look I have bought this laptop and used for like 2 hours then i see some problems and fixs for it with the bios updates. So I was reading about the update methods and I choose the easyflash one, but after the update, my computer never came back. Cant turn it on. I cant RMA since im in Brazil, the brazilian Asus said they do not cover the global warranty. So i tried everything to get my laptop back, I tried that auto flash pendrive with autoexec instructions, a cd too, but not sucess.

I have searched for a special technology company who repair laptops to reburn the eprom, and this is what we didi , i saw everything, the guy get off the bios chip, he put in some device and reburn the bios, BUT my problem still the same after the reburn. We tried to bios root directory and nothing hapened. GUys i cant lose this laptop, i saved money for like 1 ear to buy it. Please, somebody help me. Its possible to Asus send me another chip or something? Thanks.

ColonelS
03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Im afraid there's no other way but RMA it.. for brick bios.

But the thing is, some special tech guy removed the bios chip and reburn it? =X

evga
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
SO that guy has attempted to reprogram your bios chip , and I guess he should have applied more heat on it , thats why the bios chip burned, so you can buy a bios chip off ebay and take it to him and tell him not to use more heat, and there could be another thing also. the bios contains 2 parts , 1st one is firmware , 2nd one is bios , You will need to get both the parts from an working g74 bios chip , even if you reprogram your chip it wont work for sure , without the second part. the one you download from asus website has only the first part. the firmware part should be taken off a working bios chip, other wise what ever the attemps that you take will fail. but I have the full bios for asus g73 , but it wont work with this, I have a friend , il ask him and desolder his bios chip and using my programmer il try to make a backup , but I can do it only if he ageees to disassemble his laptop.this could be the original cause for not working( firmware part has been erased )

Igorfosp
03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
man u said everything, he used heat to remove the chip from motherboard. Do u think this may damage the chip? Also, about this 2 parts, damm..... i THink he is not that special..... cuz he said its only 1 file....

Igorfosp
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Im afraid there's no other way but RMA it.. for brick bios.

But the thing is, some special tech guy removed the bios chip and reburn it? =X

Look, im not stupid, but i dont know how to speak with u guys properly. He used a machine with air heat, then he removed the chip from motherboard, then he took the chip and put in some device to reflash the firmware 203 from asus website on chip. After that, he used more air heat to fix the chip on motherboard again.... I bought a new chip from that guy in Netherland. How I can tell him to how to fix the chip in motherboard, its with air heat? Guys im ****ed....

evga
03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Most of the people doesnt know about the firmware part , so its better to tell him about it.
il ask my friend , if he allows me to get the bios chip out of his laptop, I can backup the full bios with my programmer and send it to you, so you tell that tech guy to desolder that chip from your mobo and program it with my backuped bios, and tell him to resolder . then yay your laptop will come back to life.

evga
03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
or if you want easy fix then , there are several sellers offering fix for these types of issues in ebay.

Igorfosp
03-29-2012, 01:55 PM
or if you want easy fix then , there are several sellers offering fix for these types of issues in ebay.

Man if your friend allow you to do that i will open my house for you if anyday you come to Brazil. Or i can pay for your work trough Paypal. I just want to ressurect my laptop man, i cannot lose all my money since i cant send my stuff to outside of Brazil cuz i bought in US, and when u do not buy in brazil, my goverment when they see something bought from outside of brazil, they tax a lot. something i cannot afford. Thanks man.

U said several guys on ebay, but i looked and i didnt find, i have search for asus g74 bios and i found 1 guy in netherland and also i searched for bios fix nothing as well. Thanks EVGA

evga
03-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Hey , he not at home right now. soon after he retuns il tel you.
yes I know that you have piad more than 1000$ and bought a laptop and after a bios flash , its done, im very sad to hear.
but il get it from him soon as possible. hes my best friend.

wait il check ebay and post some links of sellers.
thanks bro.

Igorfosp
03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey , he not at home right now. soon after he retuns il tel you.
yes I know that you have piad more than 1000$ and bought a laptop and after a bios flash , its done, im very sad to hear.
but il get it from him soon as possible. hes my best friend.

wait il check ebay and post some links of sellers.
thanks bro.

No man, thanks you man. God may bless you.

Igorfosp
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Anybody have a full backup of the bios to give or sell it to me please? Im desperate

dstrakele
03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Why are you desperate, @Igotfosp? The BIOS files for the G74SX can be downloaded from the ASUS web site (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336).

Igorfosp
03-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Cuz its niot just this file, EVGA said the bios chip have 2 "files" this one from website and another pre-programed file. This file its something like 2mb. But inside of the bios chip have one with 4 mb.... so something is missing.

dstrakele
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Are you looking for vbios files as opposed to BIOS files? I'm unsure of what you are trying to do.

Igorfosp
03-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Ready my forum please. EVGA said when you brick your bions in update, its not that simples, just remove the chip from motherboard, to put in a eprom flash and get the file in asus website. Inside of the bios chip, have 2 programs, 1 its the one from asus website, and have other one. I tried to update my notebook trough ntfs pendrive and i bricked my laptop. Now im trying to reflash my bios, but cant do it with just that bios file in asus website. need a backup from another g74sx working to put inside of my chip. sorry for the bad english.

dstrakele
03-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I see... You are talking about @evga. He is probably the one who can help you in this situation. Send him a PM.

Igorfosp
03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
I did it =D

Igorfosp
03-31-2012, 05:58 AM
Anyone who have a asus g74sx-a1 can do a bios backup and send it to me please?

http://support.asus.com/documents/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74SX&p=3&s=336&os=&hashedid=n/a&no=1704

If u can, save in a fat32 pendrive please and send it to me for GOD

evga
03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey , im sorry that I couldnt get back to you,
I asked him but, he is not that much intrested on desoldering the bios chip from his motherboard, il contact an ebay seller and ask him , if he has an full bios file , the one on asus website is the first parts, its the tunnel that connects the firmware part of bios chip , and also called part 2 ,
you can never backup part 2 with dos tools, only way is, to desolder the chip from the mobo and keep it over the programmer and read the chip, and save that file. when you have that file, you should resolder the corrupted bios chip to programmer and erase it and programme it with the one we backuped earlier that was from a working laptop. Because Asus G74 is new, most of the people doesnt like to take apart and desolder the chip. but I seriously say if I had an g74 il be the only one helping you, but dont you know anyone who has a g74 ?

Igorfosp
03-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Man ask yr buddy if i pay 100 dollars for it

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Good morning everyone. I hope you guys can help me. Look I have bought this laptop and used for like 2 hours then i see some problems and fixs for it with the bios updates. So I was reading about the update methods and I choose the easyflash one, but after the update, my computer never came back. Cant turn it on. I cant RMA since im in Brazil, the brazilian Asus said they do not cover the global warranty. So i tried everything to get my laptop back, I tried that auto flash pendrive with autoexec instructions, a cd too, but not sucess.

I have searched for a special technology company who repair laptops to reburn the eprom, and this is what we didi , i saw everything, the guy get off the bios chip, he put in some device and reburn the bios, BUT my problem still the same after the reburn. We tried to bios root directory and nothing hapened. GUys i cant lose this laptop, i saved money for like 1 ear to buy it. Please, somebody help me. Its possible to Asus send me another chip or something? Thanks.
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with this. Regardless of the "global" warranty that applies in some regions, don't you have any kind of local Asus warranty coverage in Brazil? A bricked BIOS is (unfortunately) not uncommon, so the service center(s) there would most certainly be able to fix it for you.

Don't keep trying desperate measures that may only make it worse. Your effort to get a back-up of another G74 BIOS is probably pointless......you have no way to restore it to your dead computer. If you continue to spend money on people who obviously don't know how to fix it, I think you risk permament physical damage to your new G74 that could leave it unrepairable.

Even if you have to pay for the repair, I suggest to just send it to the nearest Asus service center. Get it done right.

evga
04-01-2012, 03:12 AM
The thing is I didnt request any money from him, I just wanted to do it as a help for him,
I know how it feels when you brick your laptop , I had that feeling.
I talked to a seller on ebay, and he told that he can provide the full bios for G74, so you just need to pay that guy, il give all info about it.
but I say it better to get it fixed by Asus as other's say, and they call me scammer (wow what an name for a guy who tries to help someone).
tell me what to do next, and the ebay seller asks 15$ or something like that, im not sure il look into in and tell you.

Igorfosp
04-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Brodyboy, thanks man. I have tried Brazil asus and they said they just cover warranty from brazil laptops. Your advice was a good one, but i just lost my laptop ande i cant use it =/ Asus dont care about it. Have any website. Have any website in US to complain about companys pos sale? Cuz asus must help me..... AMD EVGA was helping me a lot. he knows hows to lose a laptop wih bios update. im really sad about this situation =/

dogla
04-01-2012, 10:15 AM
hey Igorfosp sorry to hear about your situation. But I was just wondering, even if the ASUS service center doesn't want to provide you with warranty, can't they just fix the damn thing and you pay for it? Is it that hard for them to get up from their lazy behind and actually work for a change?? It's a laptop that needs to be fixed, and as others say, it CAN be fixed.....So why don't they fix it! You'll eventually pay for it but hey, it's fixed then.... I was just pissed about learning that our laptops have global warranty which CAN'T be used GLOBALLY....sjeesss

evga
04-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi mate , I asked the guy on ebay, are you willing to get it from him by paying him? or should I ask anyone else if they can give their laptop to get the bios chip out.
pm me about what to do next , Yes most of them complains about Asus warranty. but , if I get anyproblem with a item that has warranty left , all I do is fix it myself. its cheap, quick and perfect.

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Brodyboy, thanks man. I have tried Brazil asus and they said they just cover warranty from brazil laptops.
But what about paid repair? At this point, getting it back to working condition, "within spec," is worth the cost. If these other attempts result in a computer that needs much more expensive repair (M/B replacement, for example), you're in a much worse situation. The Asus Service Center in Sao Paulo may not provide service under the global warranty, but they ARE a service center. They do fix computers, and they are probably your best, safest option for getting your computer working again.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/Brazilservice.png

Igorfosp
04-02-2012, 01:53 AM
But what about paid repair? At this point, getting it back to working condition, "within spec," is worth the cost. If these other attempts result in a computer that needs much more expensive repair (M/B replacement, for example), you're in a much worse situation. The Asus Service Center in Sao Paulo may not provide service under the global warranty, but they ARE a service center. They do fix computers, and they are probably your best, safest option for getting your computer working again.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/Brazilservice.png

I wiill try it tomorrow and let us know. Brody, evga and everyone thanks for your time to help me a lot man.

Igorfosp
04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I just called, they said they cannot reburn(reflash) the bios, they have to replace the motherboard..... Do you believe it? So im back to point 0 =(. ANYBODY HAVE A ASUS g74SX AND WANAN RECEIVE TO HELP ME WITH A BIOS BACKUP PLEASE?

BrodyBoy
04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I just called, they said they cannot reburn(reflash) the bios, they have to replace the motherboard..... Do you believe it? So im back to point 0 =(. ANYBODY HAVE A ASUS g74SX AND WANAN RECEIVE TO HELP ME WITH A BIOS BACKUP PLEASE?
Yes, I can believe it. Someone who didn't know how to fix the problem has damaged your M/B.....

Assuming you find someone else's BIOS backup file, how do you plan to restore it to your computer?

Igorfosp
04-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I have the eprom flasher and every assisnte what I need from a buddy in IBM

Igorfosp
04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
im a microsoft employee, i have some buddies trying to help me, but its sooooooo hard to find this damm file =(

MrRuckus
04-02-2012, 07:54 PM
So what I dont understand is that when you do a Bios "update", it erases the EPROM, and writes the new revision, so ANY Bios file off of Asus's Support website should work for your situation?

I dont understand the need for someone elses Bios image when you can just download one from the website?

It also sounds like the Bios chip is soldered to the mobo so its not something Asus is comfortable unsoldering and resoldering to the board themselves or even their repair facility.

If Asus themselves cannot do the repair and they make the laptop, Im not sure if its a feasible repair to be performed by anybody. Motherboards have multiple layers on the PCB and sometimes its not as easy as just unsoldering and resoldering.

evga
04-03-2012, 02:35 AM
you should read the previous posts my dear friend. il explain it again: Bios contains 2 sections , 1. normal bios that is found on asus website, its the tunnel that connects the firmware part of the bios , if the 1st part is corrupted , the second wont work. 2nd part is called firmware , its the most important section on a bios chip , but the tech guy who reprogrammed his bios chip had erased the full chip , the the firmware part is gone.
and he had loaded only the bios found in Asus website.

evga
04-03-2012, 02:44 AM
the only way to save his laptop is to get a full bios from a working g74 , using a programmer. and copying that bios into this bios chip and solder to mobo. only that can fix this prob

Igorfosp
04-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Guys just to let u all know, thank you all for all answers. My problem was( i will try to explain with this dumb english):

1 - I bought the laptop in US;
2 - After my Orlando vacations, i have come back to brazil, and i did the bios update using a ntfs pendrive in here;
3 - Laptop bricked;
4 - Solution for this problem? Send the laptop to Asus facility, but in Brazil, I have to pay 389(my money) to send it, but this is ok(more or less), the real problem it is, this laptop i bought in outside of brazil, and when i send anything, i mean ANYTHING to outside to brazil, my govermennt stop the mail service, look the package, and wanna see the receipt, but mine its american, its not a brazilian recipt, and when my goverment sees a situation like that, he think.... hum smart guy buying stuff in outside of brazil, ok, but u have to pay taxes for it(THE laptop in us its 1300 dollars, in my country its 4800 my money), so he taxes in 60% of the value of the laptop in here, in brazil. ANd have a little problem after this one too, the guys from mail service, they just throw the packages away, like ****, and ITS NOT **** ITS MY DEAR LAPTOP ZOMG. SO guys this is my feeling, i bought my laptop, used for 2 hours, asus made a piece of **** bios update program which do not verify my pendrive format and bricks yr stuff and now im passing trought this situation. Guys, i just have to thank you all, i will not do like everyone else, i will keep this post updated till the situation get done. Thanks and wish me luck.

Anyway guys, I just send the laptop to US, sometimes brazil government just do not lock for your package, im praying for that,

Igorfosp
04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
So remember, if you brick your computer with bios update, doesnt matter what, just **** send to Asus, its the best solution.... no matter what you try to do....

BrodyBoy
04-03-2012, 05:55 PM
So remember, if you brick your computer with bios update, doesnt matter what, just **** send to Asus, its the best solution.... no matter what you try to do....
Best of luck to you.

Perhaps, if you could find a friend or aquaintance who is traveling to the U.S. soon.....? That might avoid all this mail/tax issue?

Igorfosp
04-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Yes Bodyboy hehehe

evga
04-04-2012, 05:59 AM
yes sending it to Asus is the best way to fix it, hope they fix it.

mflavio2k
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Igor,

Four days ago I had the same problem as you, and by coincidence I am from the same city as you (BH, Minas). My G74sx Bricked because of the "wonderful" ASUS Update program. But in my case I bought it on mercadolivre.com and I do not have global warranty. Did you ask the Brazilian ASUS Support how much would cost to replace the motherboard?

Oh, and one thing. You used your notebook for 2 houras. I used for 30 minutes and performed the ASUS update. Remember... it could always be worse.

Marcos Flávio

TonyNRG
04-12-2012, 12:49 AM
ASUS will fix it fast. But I think that too many people get bricked notebooks, because ASUS don't tell their customers about danger bios update process, if you updating it not from usb drive. It's important that ASUS guys will hear us, and make some warning messages and bios update manuals in first step. Next step, we all need to get a really good way (smart and safe utility) to update our G series notebook bios with safe.

evga
04-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Igor,

Four days ago I had the same problem as you, and by coincidence I am from the same city as you (BH, Minas). My G74sx Bricked because of the "wonderful" ASUS Update program. But in my case I bought it on mercadolivre.com and I do not have global warranty. Did you ask the Brazilian ASUS Support how much would cost to replace the motherboard?

Oh, and one thing. You used your notebook for 2 houras. I used for 30 minutes and performed the ASUS update. Remember... it could always be worse.

Marcos Flávio

I can help you, if asus warranty fails.
because you have not erased the firmware part. just send me the bios chip il reprogram it and send back to you.
Asus should put somekind of warning before they approve the bios update.
if your going to replace your mobo from Asus it should cost alot.. maybe like 570$ .

mflavio2k
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I can help you, if asus warranty fails.
because you have not erased the firmware part. just send me the bios chip il reprogram it and send back to you.
Asus should put somekind of warning before they approve the bios update.
if your going to replace your mobo from Asus it should cost alot.. maybe like 570$ .

EVGA, thank you very much! I spoke with IGORFOSP and he said that he can do that too when his notebook arrives from the EUA. I will wait a little then. But I will not neglect your help... if anything wrong happens, I really appreciate if you could help me.

evga
04-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Ok let me know what happens.
in few days Im going on a trip , and will take some time to return,
so make it quick or you have to wait for sometime.
you could try what LGORFOSP did.

ArchPhaeton
06-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Hello everyone, a friend of mine is having similar problems... She says everyday at 12:00am she gets some sort of "Bios update failure" message, its been a couple days like that...
Then today, the laptop didnt work, she turned it on and the LEDs and fans where working, but nothing displayed in the screen, no ROG logo or anything... Says she got the HDD light blink about 5 times, hold then blink again, and so on.
Another symptom was high temperature in one of the two hard drives.
So i told her like, turn it off while I look in the ROG forums ;) and... found this
Also, this morning it appeared with a software called winFLASH, which she had never manually installed.
Igorfosp, hope you get your lappy fixed...

ArchPhaeton
06-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Here is the message she gets at midnight
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii568/ArchPhaeton/Asus%20Uploads/bioserror.jpg
Lappy is working fine for now... but after reading about the brick issue, we dont feel like messing around with that...

evga
06-24-2012, 03:47 AM
never try to update bios through windows , because it is the main reason to brick your laptop.
dos is the safest way./
(evgasr2)

ArchPhaeton
06-27-2012, 04:34 AM
thanks evga, I'll do it that way then.:cool:

msdivy
08-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Igor,
Four days ago I had the same problem as you, and by coincidence I am from the same city as you (BH, Minas). My G74sx Bricked because of the "wonderful" ASUS Update program.
Marcos Flávio

Hey guys, what is the update? Is your laptops working? If so how much did it cost?

PS: Just an hour back I hit the same issue. My G74Sx is dead. I am India and mine was shipped from US :(

msdivy
09-18-2012, 12:05 PM
PS: Just an hour back I hit the same issue. My G74Sx is dead. I am India and mine was shipped from US :(
ASUS service center in Bangalore did it free of cost (since it was under warranty). My G74 is back & running !!
Lesson: Never do BIOS update from NTFS disk or drive.

evga
09-18-2012, 12:41 PM
its good to see it working.