PDA

View Full Version : Strix RTX 3090 Fan vibration issues

morph.
10-29-2020, 04:01 AM
Multiple people on various forums from where I frequent have reported fan vibrations on the Strix shroud more specifically the left fan on load... I have one on order and am nervous about it now since its more than one person having the exact same issue... Seems to be easily reproduced and can be mistaken for coil whine.... here is a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw&ab_channel=%ED%99%A9%EC%88%9C

Some of the quotes:

"When play the game , fan start to spin with high RPM. The noise sounds like coil whine , so I thought it was coil whine and ignore the sounds. Last night the noise got worse so check the card , and the sounds came from the LED cover. When I press the LED cover noise disappear. So it seems the fan may contact the LED cover on high RPM. For me it happen when card is under load so fan start spin. Around 70% of fan speed is makes the noise. I found the left fan makes the sound for me(to find out I have stop the fan with my finger)."

"I noticed the same issue on my 3090 Strix OC last night too.

I can replicate it 100% of the time by just turning up the fan speed with the card at idle. It seems loudest for me at about 65% and the middle fan seems to cause it more.

Pushing on the lightbar doesn't make it go away completely but does decrease the sound significantly. Unlike in your video it decreases the vibration sound when I push on the lightbar on the right hand side (power plug end) of the lightbar about a third of the way along. Pushing where you did does nothing for me.
In all other respects the card works fine it's just a ****ty design/QC."

robertpoche
10-30-2020, 12:11 AM
same here, it starts around 76% fan for me... If i push the leds the noise goes off.

robertpoche
10-30-2020, 06:37 AM
This is very frustrating considering that this is the most expensive 3090 at the moment.

I tried to find a root cause for this and when I push the left-side of the card from bottom, the sound goes off completely so I thought to mount it vertically may be a solution but I dont have a vertical mount...

YunaDad
10-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Any words from Asus?? I know Asus staff see this forum as well..

I am the one who upload above youtube video.

Since it seems appear on multiple user in all around the country(I saw some in Korea , some in German , some in Australia , some in Canada) , Asus should known by now.

Any suggest for consumer ? like replacement for new one that fixed the issue?

By the way how come my Strix 3090 does not come with LED Bar cover? Does it mean my card has been used??

r0mbus
11-01-2020, 12:17 AM
Same problem for me and no LED-Cover aswell :\
Any suggestions?

robertpoche
11-01-2020, 06:18 AM
Same problem for me and no LED-Cover aswell :\
Any suggestions?

I think we deserve a response from Asus team...

Noooky
11-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Same problem here ! My fan cover vibrating like hell ! Look at my VideoÂ*

https://youtu.be/7tA8XMLPslQ

morph.
11-02-2020, 02:40 PM
now Yeah I can confirm I have this vibration too with my shiny new Strix 3090 oc... Seems to happen at certain fan speeds....

DEMONDOCTOR
11-03-2020, 12:14 AM
now Yeah I can confirm I have this vibration too with my shiny new Strix 3090 oc... Seems to happen at certain fan speeds....

Oh no! Not you too?

I am person 2 quoted in the original post. The vibration is particularly loud from around 65-70% fan speed.

My card also came with no plastic film over the lightbar so maybe that is normal. However mine actually had some scuff marks on the lightbar straight out of the box! I wasnt too bothered because you dont notice the marks when its in the case or the lights are on. But then as soon as I started using the card I was even more shocked to discover the vibration issue!

Im really disappointed with an otherwise really exciting purchase. This is not the kind of thing youd expect in a premium product from this company or from something priced so high!

Hopefully we can get some kind of official response soon. Its all made a lot more difficult when theres no local stock so if we just return the card for a replacement there arent any replacements available or even any local ETA for further stock in Australia.

XskullbangerX
11-03-2020, 01:43 AM
I'm in the USA and my Strix 3090 is doing the same thing. I've posted on various reddit threads as GallantGhost. I've contacted asus support and refused to RMA due to the stock issues and fearful I wouldn't get a repair or replacement for a long time, maybe even 2021.. I asked if a fan could be sent my way for me to replace it myself. The rep then escalated the case and said someone would get back to me. This was over a week ago. I'm also active on the ASUS DIY Facebook group and Juan even showed some interest at first and seemed concerned. When I asked him later for an update, his tone changed and then made me feel like a fool for avoiding RMA, almost questioning my honesty. An ASUS rep really needs to step up because there's a lot of $1800.00 Strix cards that are having issues. There's an apparent quality assurance issue and no one wants to admit it.

crion
11-03-2020, 10:55 AM
That sound, it sounds like a fan or cable is misaligned on the fans. But it is not fan related. I touched the fans and this sound seems to just be a massive persistent pulsing sound (coil whine?). Asus should be aware that all eyes are on them because it is present on the TUF as well. A user posted a youtube where this sound was clearly heard on his TUF card.

DEMONDOCTOR
11-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Its not coil whine. What we have happens when the card is idling with nothing running and you simply turn up the fan speed manually. *

Can you post a link to the video youre talking about?

morph.
11-04-2020, 02:39 PM
My card also came with no plastic film over the lightbar so maybe that is normal. However, mine actually had some scuff marks on the lightbar straight out of the box! .

Same here no light bar film to peel and yeah I had some swirls/scuffs on it straight out the box...

XskullbangerX
11-04-2020, 03:49 PM
Same here no light bar film to peel and yeah I had some swirls/scuffs on it straight out the box...
Mine had swirls on it too. What in the hell possessed asus to refrain from putting plastic on the light bar? Who makes these decisions?

Blake@ROG
11-10-2020, 03:56 AM
Dear all,
This issue has been reported.
If there is any progress, I will keep you updated.
Thank you.

morph.
11-12-2020, 12:41 AM
Dear all,
Thank you.

Thanks, Blake if in fact, you guys do confirm its an issue what would happen?

Honestly, an RMA back and forth would take my computer offline too long as I use it daily for work...

saintgothits
11-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Same issue with my Strix 3080 OC, vibration rattle occurs around 60-70% fan speed. LED bar came with no plastic, and pretty scuffed up.

I have found a remedy for the issue which is a GPU Support Bracket on the back of my case to properly support the weight more evenly. Since I have installed this the issue is no longer there. It seems like the issue with these cards occurs because the weight of the card (without a GPU support bracket) is physically warping some plastic to cause this issue, or something on the fan shroud is not tightened adequately (I have heard one case of a user removing the fan shroud and re-attaching which resulted in the issue to go away, however I do not recommend you try this unless you know what you are doing, and this has still not been confirmed as the issue yet). However, this is unacceptable and should not be Asus' final remedy.

For the most expensive AIB available within the RTX 30 series range, my expectations were higher that there would not be such mass QA issues with these cards, especially for the price they are demanding. It's such a punch in the gut to buy a brand new product like this, then be told you have to send it out for an RMA, and then wait for a replacement / fix, it's pretty unacceptable for such a premium product. It's crazy that out of the about 8-10 or so Strix 3080 / 3090 owners I spoke with, they are all saying that they have also experienced these issue(s).

At this point this is pretty much a confirmed widespread issue affecting all, or a large percentage of Strix 3080 / 3090 owners. I think its fair that Asus either properly recalls these cards, or offers express replacements for their affected customers.

morph.
11-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Same issue with my Strix 3080 OC, vibration rattle occurs around 60-70% fan speed. LED bar came with no plastic, and pretty scuffed up.

I have found a remedy for the issue which is a GPU Support Bracket on the back of my case to properly support the weight more evenly. Since I have installed this the issue is no longer there. It seems like the issue with these cards occurs because the weight of the card (without a GPU support bracket) is physically warping some plastic to cause this issue, or something on the fan shroud is not tightened adequately (I have heard one case of a user removing the fan shroud and re-attaching which resulted in the issue to go away, however I do not recommend you try this unless you know what you are doing, and this has still not been.

Mines vertically mounted and I can confirm the vertical bracket fully holds the card comfortably as it has an anti-sag contraption.

drkCrix
11-14-2020, 04:13 AM
Also having this issue with my 3080 Strix, seems to be the middle fan at around 1650-1700rpm, higher or lower and the rattle isn't there. I have set a custom fan curve on the middle fan for now until Asus provides us with a fix for the issues

saintgothits
11-14-2020, 09:29 AM
Also having this issue with my 3080 Strix, seems to be the middle fan at around 1650-1700rpm, higher or lower and the rattle isn't there. I have set a custom fan curve on the middle fan for now until Asus provides us with a fix for the issues

Their fix was to RMA a brand new card and wait for it to be repaired with no ETA, they also told me that I was the only one with this issue, which is completely untrue. I mean c'mon Asus, this is clearly a mass manufacturing / design / QA issue. Pretty disappointing customer service.

Wobbler
11-14-2020, 06:25 PM
Not sure if I have this issue also, but my oc 3090 right side (?) fan makes more annoying higher pitch noise that wobbles (uaaa-uaaa-uaa) and gets louder as the fan is set to spins faster (75+ clearly noticable). Center fan just makes normal fan noises 0-100. Was thinking if it could be a bit offbalance, looking at the stickers on the fans not being quite in the center. Anyway did test inside the computer case and outside on a pcie extender cable, to clear any other possible things making the noise. At this rate if the fan motor is bad it will fail soon enough. Need to inquire from where I bought it for a good time to return/RMA for replacement. Got plastic wrap on the side and backpanel, card package was in sealed brown box from asus.

OH and at 97% and above fan speed for the 2 fans there appears some annoying rattling sound. No help from pushing the panel with led lights. Closer inspection on the suspect fan, it looks like it might be pulsing *a bit between faster and slower spinning speed, that could explain the wobbling of the sound. Meanwhile games that dont heat up the card enough for the fans to speed up to 70%.

drkCrix
11-15-2020, 03:37 AM
Dear all,
Thank you.

Should we submit an RMA request if we have this issue? Or wait until more information is available?

Thanks,

Chris

Wobbler
11-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Hmmm now the middle fan has started to whine, *so 2 of 3 fans are whining, the first whiner perhaps has a little more lower pitch with slight varation to the sound. I hope these arent just some crappy fans with super noisy bearings. But on the other hand the rattling seems to have vanished *a bit strange.. must resist temptation of taking this a part and test the fans deattached..

JustinN
11-16-2020, 06:58 PM
Received my ROG STRIX 3090 OC today and have the same problem.. middle fan rattling very loud between 65 and 75% of fan speed. Same thing happens with the left and right fans above 80% fan speed. This is clearly a manufacturing defect if so many people experience this. Outragous for a GPU with a pricetag like this.

Blake@ROG
11-17-2020, 07:46 AM
Dear all Strix RTX 3090 users,
If you have encountered the fan vibration issue.
Please kindly PM me below information. (All are required)
1.Full name
2.Current Location( country/region)
3.email or phone number
4. product serial number
We are trying to provide solution on this but need to prepare them first then we will reach out to you.
Thank you so much.

JustinN
11-17-2020, 02:50 PM
I now suspect GPU sagging to be the cause of the rattling. The noise can be clearly reduced to zero / almost zero by lifting the far end of the GPU up a bit with a finger (in my case, at least). I'm receiving a height adjustable GPU strut tomorrow and will post my findings after installing.

@Blake, see PM.

JustinN
11-18-2020, 10:59 AM
Update: the strut does seem to relieve vibration on one side of the shroud but it is replaced by vibration of the other side, caused by the left fan. All in all i suspect loose shroud placement is to blame. I'll try tonight if I can tighten the screws.

drkCrix
11-18-2020, 03:21 PM
Dear all Strix RTX 3090 users,
If you have encountered the fan vibration issue.
Please kindly PM me below information. (All are required)
1.Full name
2.Current Location( country/region)
3.email or phone number
4. product serial number
We are trying to provide solution on this but need to prepare them first then we will reach out to you.
Thank you so much.

Hi Blake,

Can 3080 Strix users send you this information as well?

Thanks,

Chris

Vader666
11-18-2020, 06:26 PM
No, I've send him a message and he told me to open a new Thread for the 3080. I will do so in a few minutes. I also have exactly the same issues.

EDIT: @drkCrix see here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121556-Strix-RTX-3080-Fan-vibration-issues-and-scratches-on-LED-bar&p=820033#post820033

JustinN
11-18-2020, 07:33 PM
Small update: I put my case flat and stress-tested the card vertical: no more rattling. Unfortunately this card is so big I can't even mount it vertical as it would hit my CPU cooler. Hope Asus comes with a solution soon as the disappointment after 2 months of waiting on the card and then encountering this... is massive.

MrHDR
11-22-2020, 12:16 AM
Also having this issue unfortunately, it's kind of a shame considering the card is priced at 2310 USD here.

Wobbler
11-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Interestingly the rattling sound that my graphicscard "had" came back when testing simple overclock with fans at 100%. So could the rattling be somehow heat related, the sound went away when I turned the fans down not when I quit the test program. On positive note my first whining fan seems to have gotten quieter, but still there seems to be the varying sound output while the middle fan whining sound is constant. So in the end now I have somewhat pulsing higher pitched whine, with rattling that varies a bit.

JustinN
11-23-2020, 03:06 PM
I have been lucky to acquire a second 3090 Strix OC via Amazon which was delivered to me today quite out of the blue after ordering already on the 20th of sept.

This new one is absolutely quiet (except for some coilwhine) and seems to cool better as well. It's proof that the ones that have this issue are definetely faulty. I've returned the first one to the store. Good luck to everyone and game on!

Blake@ROG
11-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Dear all,
I would like to update the information I need to collect,
this request is for only ROG series, 3070,3080,and 3090 owner

I would need to collect below information.
If you have already send me PM, no need to do it again.

1. Full name
2. Product SN
3. Country/Region you stay

Thank you.

curthard89
11-24-2020, 02:39 PM
Is there any update as to what is causing this? It's rather annoying now. I heard on the grape vine that the ones that are not buzzing cool better (as JustinN noticed) maybe the shroud is not fully clamped down enough against the PCB/DIE?

XskullbangerX
11-28-2020, 03:06 AM
Is there any update as to what is causing this? It's rather annoying now. I heard on the grape vine that the ones that are not buzzing cool better (as JustinN noticed) maybe the shroud is not fully clamped down enough against the PCB/DIE?

This is an interesting idea, because once I started using a gpu stand/brace my temps dropped by 5c at least, more like 5-8c...

pk1209
11-30-2020, 10:37 AM
I had this issue with my 3090 ROG Strix but adjusting my gpu sag bracket seems to have cured it... took a few attempts to get it right. Ran furmark to test fans from 1000 (i have the issue where they run at 1000 even at idle) to 1850 RPM and it was fine all the way through

curthard89
11-30-2020, 11:16 AM
This is an interesting idea, because once I started using a gpu stand/brace my temps dropped by 5c at least, more like 5-8c...

Interesting, at stock, my card runs same temps as what other people are reporting and reviewers, sub 40 idle and 60-70 under load (depending on game), only gets super toasty when upping power limit and then the temps will skyrocket.

curthard89
11-30-2020, 11:19 AM
I had this issue with my 3090 ROG Strix but adjusting my gpu sag bracket seems to have cured it... took a few attempts to get it right. Ran furmark to test fans from 1000 (i have the issue where they run at 1000 even at idle) to 1850 RPM and it was fine all the way through

I have a support holding up one end, mine simply just changes when it occurs, although you can remove the issue by holding it (as you found it), its just being masked, the issue is still present, something is not right. Ive undervolted and adjusted fans so i don't hear it until ASUS come up with a solution, which we are still waiting on.

pk1209
11-30-2020, 11:23 AM
I have a support holding up one end, mine simply just changes when it occurs, although you can remove the issue by holding it (as you found it), its just being masked, the issue is still present, something is not right. Ive undervolted and adjusted fans so i don't hear it until ASUS come up with a solution, which we are still waiting on.

Yeah... I know it's masking it and have pinged my serial number etc over in a PM depending on what comes from it... for now, i'm just happy it's gone (although annoyed about the 1000rpm idle issue)

curthard89
11-30-2020, 10:30 PM
Yeah... I know it's masking it and have pinged my serial number etc over in a PM depending on what comes from it... for now, i'm just happy it's gone (although annoyed about the 1000rpm idle issue)

Just download Afterburner and do a custom fan curve, make sure the temp you target for it to run zero fan is below the bottom yellow line, and it will do as you wish (i run custom fan curve anyway, but never had the not turning off issue)

Al3xG
12-01-2020, 08:36 PM
I had this fan rattling issue on my Strix 3080 when temp reached 72C and fans 81-84%. So its kind a resonance of some videocard parts when temp and fan frequency on certain speed meet each other at one point. I quess it is a engineering constructive miscalculation. I determine that rattling sound immediately stops when i softly touch the plastic angle near backlit on the side of IO panel. So i put videocard on the table and bend down whole plastic shroud near IO panel a bit ( put plastic card between metal rail and black antibend metal frame). I did it with my bank plastic card to not to do any scratches . I bent it gently not more than 1mm. Now the rattling sound is GONE. So be carefull and do it at your own risk.

PS I found that video on Youtube. I had excatly the same issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw

curthard89
12-02-2020, 03:05 PM
I had this fan rattling issue on my Strix 3080 when temp reached 72C and fans 81-84%. So its kind a resonance of some videocard parts when temp and fan frequency on certain speed meet each other at one point. I quess it is a engineering constructive miscalculation. I determine that rattling sound immediately stops when i softly touch the plastic angle near backlit on the side of IO panel. So i put videocard on the table and bend down whole plastic shroud near IO panel a bit ( put plastic card between metal rail and black antibend metal frame). I did it with my bank plastic card to not to do any scratches . I bent it gently not more than 1mm. Now the rattling sound is GONE. So be carefull and do it at your own risk.

PS I found that video on Youtube. I had excatly the same issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cUDftttNuw

Same as what I found, ‚*resonance, causes by heat + fans + material I would guess (requires 3 things for resonance to happen).‚*

Regarding your fix, probably can also be cured by wedging a piece of card (or piece of plastic) in-between the main chassis and the shroud on the top? (where you marked bend down)

I noticed if I slightly press upwards on the shroud, noise goes away, if I had a smaller GPU sag holder that lives between PSU and GPU, id just prop it up a little and move on with life.*
Either way, ill wait for ASUS to come up with a solution, still waiting on hearing back*

Al3xG
12-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Same as what I found, ƒ€š*resonance, causes by heat + fans + material I would guess (requires 3 things for resonance to happen).ƒ€š*

Regarding your fix, probably can also be cured by wedging a piece of card (or piece of plastic) in-between the main chassis and the shroud on the top? (where you marked bend down)

I noticed if I slightly press upwards on the shroud, noise goes away, if I had a smaller GPU sag holder that lives between PSU and GPU, id just prop it up a little and move on with life.*
Either way, ill wait for ASUS to come up with a solution, still waiting on hearing back‚*

You are right. For the first time i cut a piece of rubber to make sure. But i buy that card (out of stock edition) for overprice in my country ( same situation in other i guess) and i refused to put something between, it is unacceptable for a such high price product . So the main goal is to shift some pieces inside videocard at the left side of it as a consequence to increase the distance between them to neutralize the emerging resonance whatever how you will do that.

As you can see i have GPU sag holder between PSU and GPU but it only reduced the noise not neutralized it completely in my case. But now i don't need it.

Not only thing i had to do with. I ve notice that decorative metal edging around fans unsticked at one place. I had to use glue to stick it. So that is disappointing...

Blake@ROG
12-04-2020, 03:10 AM
Dear all,
Thank you so much for your instant support and reply.
For European and North America users, I will stop collecting information from now on.
Those who already send PM, don't worry, all of them counts.
We are going to prepare the parts by larger batch for this two regions afterward.
And for users form other region, please kindly continue to send the information to me.
Also, for those who have concern with cross-country product (bought in different country), please also contact me through PM.
Thank you.

curthard89
12-04-2020, 09:38 AM
Dear all,
Thank you so much for your instant support and reply.
For European and North America users, I will stop collecting information from now on.
Those who already send PM, don't worry, all of them counts.
We are going to prepare the parts by larger batch for this two regions afterward.
And for users form other region, please kindly continue to send the information to me.
Also, for those who have concern with cross-country product (bought in different country), please also contact me through PM.
Thank you.

What exactly is going to happen? Are you sending out a kit to us which will allow us to fix it with, or do you require us to send our cards back in eventually to get sorted? So basically recalling them.

legerlaw
12-07-2020, 11:43 AM
What exactly is going to happen? Are you sending out a kit to us which will allow us to fix it with, or do you require us to send our cards back in eventually to get sorted? So basically recalling them.
Seem they just update the driver to make sure your GPU fan will avoid the range of the noise speed. It is impossible to retreat all defective products. :(

Megascrypt
12-07-2020, 02:47 PM
Seem they just update the driver to make sure your GPU fan will avoid the range of the noise speed. It is impossible to retreat all defective products. :(

Your theory would hide the bigger issue that would still persists and resurface down the road, this is not a permanent fix, not fix at all, lets hear from Asus directly before any speculations.

MrHDR
12-11-2020, 06:41 PM
I wonder if a 3 slot bracket would stiffen the card up enough to fix the issue.

Megascrypt
12-11-2020, 07:20 PM
I wonder if a 3 slot bracket would stiffen the card up enough to fix the issue.

There are reports that even holding/supporting the end of GPU won't stop the darn shroud vibration, so save yourself frustration.

At first, Asus rep gave us hope and promised to follow up on progress to fix that issue, but just like with the 0db mode that was promised to get fixed with further VBIOS, now he showed us 0db 30 cards FAQs that don't even follow its own specifications, so this vibration issue, It seems to be left on the back burner as well and no more acknowledgement of their mass faulty issue.

FYI. I m starting to have buyers regret with this 3090 Strix. I have been EVGA customer since they became company and I was on their auto notify list for each of their 3090, but because I was far the line and I got this Strix I removed myself from their list and now knowing what I know and hearing about Asus support I have some regret.

Well, I had my second Strix 2090 coming, but seen the issues and support you get I cancelled and we will see how things will progress here, It might be my first and last Asus product.

Good luck

XskullbangerX
12-12-2020, 08:58 PM
**UPDATE**

I'm not sure what finally did it, but on November 24th I was contacted by asus over the phone and they gave me the option to use their Advance Replacement Program. I didn't even know that such a program existed. I allowed them to put a hold on a credit card and they sent me a new card, allowing me 14 days to send mine back. Once I got the card it wasn't in a retail box, but was packaged nicely and had the protective film on the light bar that was missing from my retail card. Card ran a tad cooler and clocks were just as good. I sent mine back the same day. They've since recieved it and dropped the hold on my card. New card has no fan issues so I'm happy now. I'm not sure what qualified me for the advance replacement. Maybe I complained enough.
We should make a list of all the people who's retail card didn't have film on the light bar, and then what retailers we got these from. Good luck to all and I hope your situations are resolved as well!

funk3r
12-13-2020, 12:56 AM
**UPDATE**

I'm not sure what finally did it, but on November 24th I was contacted by asus over the phone and they gave me the option to use their Advance Replacement Program. I didn't even know that such a program existed. I allowed them to put a hold on a credit card and they sent me a new card, allowing me 14 days to send mine back. Once I got the card it wasn't in a retail box, but was packaged nicely and had the protective film on the light bar that was missing from my retail card. Card ran a tad cooler and clocks were just as good. I sent mine back the same day. They've since recieved it and dropped the hold on my card. New card has no fan issues so I'm happy now. I'm not sure what qualified me for the advance replacement. Maybe I complained enough.
We should make a list of all the people who's retail card didn't have film on the light bar, and then what retailers we got these from. Good luck to all and I hope your situations are resolved as well!

What was the phone number that asus contacted you with it atleast, or the area code if you do not want to share it? When did you contact Blake? I still have not received a call or email yet, just a reply from Blake stating that they'll be in contact with me.

Megascrypt
12-13-2020, 01:38 AM
What was the phone number that asus contacted you with it atleast, or the area code if you do not want to share it? When did you contact Blake? I still have not received a call or email yet, just a reply from Blake stating that they'll be in contact with me.

There is quite a few of us that still didn't receive any further info from either Blake or Asus itself, so let's hope that this is a good sign and things are moving in the right direction:)

XskullbangerX
12-13-2020, 02:10 AM
There is quite a few of us that still didn't receive any further info from either Blake or Asus itself, so let's hope that this is a good sign and things are moving in the right direction:)

I don't know if it was a result of Blake's involvement or not.
I also left an unfavorable review on Newegg. I wanted to update it as well, but the strix 3090 isn't listed there at the moment.

The guy told me I could reach them at the number below..
Proactive Care: 510 257 7780 (Mon-Fri, 9 am to 6 pm PST)

Megascrypt
12-13-2020, 02:16 AM
**UPDATE**

Congrats, Asus stepping up to the place :cool:

You said It didn't come in retail box, but had the protective film on the RGB strip? did the card had the protective film on the shroud, centre chrome circles of the fans and backplate as well? I want to establish if the card was new and not someone else's return that was just fixed, did it look new? you never know how other were abusing the card .

Thanks

Megascrypt
12-13-2020, 02:19 AM
I don't know if it was a result of Blake's involvement or not.
I also left an unfavorable review on Newegg. I wanted to update it as well, but the strix 3090 isn't listed there at the moment.

The guy told me I could reach them at the number below..
Proactive Care: 510 257 7780 (Mon-Fri, 9 am to 6 pm PST)

It must have been Blake's involvement, unless you call Asus or emailed them about that and requested new card prior to posting it on forum.

Don't feel to bad about your review on NewEgg, it is what it is, cards shroud/fans where rattling so, nothing less to be expected but big disappointment.

When you login to NewEgg you can still edit your review if you feel like Asus have rectified your issue.

Good luck and enjoy your new card

XskullbangerX
12-13-2020, 03:22 AM
Congrats, Asus stepping up to the place :cool:

You said It didn't come in retail box, but had the protective film on the RGB strip? did the card had the protective film on the shroud, centre chrome circles of the fans and backplate as well? I want to establish if the card was new and not someone else's return that was just fixed, did it look new? you never know how other were abusing the card .

Thanks

Great question. All of the film was in place. On the fans, and even on the thin aluminum pieces on the back plate. Asus rep did say it goes through testing before they send it. Either way it looks good, no annoying sounds, runs cool, and clocks great.
What's odd to me is that my brand new retail card, had film everywhere but light bar. I wonder if someone from New egg peeked at it. Several people have mentioned theirs didn't have film on the light bar as well..

XskullbangerX
12-13-2020, 03:29 AM
It must have been Blake's involvement, unless you call Asus or emailed them about that and requested new card prior to posting it on forum.

Don't feel to bad about your review on NewEgg, it is what it is, cards shroud/fans where rattling so, nothing less to be expected but big disappointment.

When you login to NewEgg you can still edit your review if you feel like Asus have rectified your issue.

Good luck and enjoy your new card

Not sure either way. Early on when I first called I asked if they did advanced replacement because I know other partners do, but the rep didn't say whether they did or not. It's definitely not something they offer right off of the bat..

Megascrypt
12-13-2020, 03:50 AM
Great question. All of the film was in place. On the fans, and even on the thin aluminum pieces on the back plate. Asus rep did say it goes through testing before they send it. Either way it looks good, no annoying sounds, runs cool, and clocks great.
What's odd to me is that my brand new retail card, had film everywhere but light bar. I wonder if someone from New egg peeked at it. Several people have mentioned theirs didn't have film on the light bar as well..

When I got mine from Newegg it had protective film everywhere, it was completely brand new I suspect that the cards without film, especially on the RGB strip where repacked, returned and next customer end up getting them, but that's my suspicion.

There are people who have no shame and could easily open both retail and shipping box without you even suspecting a thing which is rotten.

I have been Asus workstation grade motherboards customer since I can remember with great experience, but this is my first Asus GPU and I feel that I can love their cards just as much, but the darn rattling it’s not good and a bit of a setback, It all depends on how and when Asus will rectify this in my case and I was about to pull the trigger on second Strix 3090 so I'm glad I'm holding on for now.

Hopefully, someone will contact me as well and I'll get brand new replacement.

Enjoy your card and thanks for chatting with me.

XskullbangerX
12-13-2020, 04:52 AM
When I got mine from Newegg it had protective film everywhere, it was completely brand new I suspect that the cards without film, especially on the RGB strip where repacked, returned and next customer end up getting them, but that's my suspicion.

There are people who have no shame and could easily open both retail and shipping box without you even suspecting a thing which is rotten.

I have been Asus workstation grade motherboards customer since I can remember with great experience, but this is my first Asus GPU and I feel that I can love their cards just as much, but the darn rattling it’s not good and a bit of a setback, It all depends on how and when Asus will rectify this in my case and I was about to pull the trigger on second Strix 3090 so I'm glad I'm holding on for now.

Hopefully, someone will contact me as well and I'll get brand new replacement.

Enjoy your card and thanks for chatting with me.

Don't wait on them. Be tenacious as hell. Call the number I posted and tell them another user got advanced replacement and you want the same... I want everyone thats having this issue to do that, otherwise they'll forget because it's the holidays and they're busy..

Megascrypt
12-14-2020, 01:46 AM
Don't wait on them. Be tenacious as hell. Call the number I posted and tell them another user got advanced replacement and you want the same... I want everyone thats having this issue to do that, otherwise they'll forget because it's the holidays and they're busy..

That's OK, I will wait. There are ton of people with the same issue, so it’s only fair to give Asus time to sort things out.

Thanks and enjoy your card.

curthard89
12-14-2020, 09:45 AM
Still waiting on Blake to tell us what will happen, if we need to send them back or get a kit to fix them ourselves.*

The last I heard from Blake was "We are going to send the parts for all European user together, and that might take at least a month. Sorry to keep you waiting."

So i guess they are at least sending out shrouds, or some form of replacement part.**

pk1209
12-14-2020, 11:46 AM
I'd rather the advanced replacement option over trying to fix it myself tbh... sure that makes more sense for Asus as well

gooper23
12-14-2020, 05:18 PM
I am also experiencing this issue. Noticed it a few days ago.

I'd be lying to say I'm not disappointed on a GPU that carries a $300 premium over the FE models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=degHlEx1uAo

Megascrypt
12-14-2020, 07:41 PM
I am also experiencing this issue. Noticed it a few days ago.

I'd be lying to say I'm not disappointed on a GPU that carries a $300 premium over the FE models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=degHlEx1uAo
You can clearly her it at the beginning and then just rattle regardless of you pressing RGB strips or not.

gooper23
12-14-2020, 09:50 PM
You can clearly her it at the beginning and then just rattle regardless of you pressing RGB strips or not.

It's actually rattling if I don't put any pressure of the RGB strip. If I just put a bit of pressure, the vibration sounds go away.

Megascrypt
12-15-2020, 03:35 AM
It's actually rattling if I don't put any pressure of the RGB strip. If I just put a bit of pressure, the vibration sounds go away.

Mine rattles regardless of GPU position, whether that is horizontal or vertical and whether I put any pressure on any part of the shroud and it's also pretty loud.

What is more disappointing is that It’s been about a month from when this was reported and from my understanding as of now there is still no movement as far is resolution to rectify this issue, at least for North America, that’s not good.

I have to truly rethink my next move, maybe sell it or return and get something else, problem is availability, otherwise I know what I would have done already.

gooper23
12-15-2020, 04:28 AM
Mine rattles regardless of GPU position, whether that is horizontal or vertical and whether I put any pressure on any part of the shroud and it's also pretty loud.

What is more disappointing is that It’s been about a month from when this was reported and from my understanding as of now there is still no movement as far is resolution to rectify this issue, at least for North America, that’s not good.

I have to truly rethink my next move, maybe sell it or return and get something else, problem is availability, otherwise I know what I would have done already.

That's very disheartening to hear. I'm also RMAing my Z490 Hero and it's closing in on 3 weeks without any progress on my advanced RMA request. The emails are slow and very little progress is made in those emails.

When it rains it pours ha.

funk3r
12-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Well, Just got this reply from Blake concerning the progress of the update for the NA market.

"The solution would not arrive soon in North America....really sorry about that.
If you are still in the replacement period that the seller gave you, you may contact them.
Thank you."

I ordered my card from Amazon, so my return and exchange window is still valid. The issue is Amazon's product stock, not sure they'll have one to exchange with me, and the second concern is getting a new one that also has the same issue. Has anyone been successful exchanging these cards and getting a non-defective one?

EDIT: So just contacted Amazon, they do not have these in stock as figured. They would not be able to exchange one for me, just a refund. This is ridiculous. So my options seem to be either return this and try to get another one during a drop or live with it until Asus figures out a solution, even though they are being cryptic.

Megascrypt
12-15-2020, 03:46 PM
Well, Just got this reply from Blake concerning the progress of the update for the NA market.

"The solution would not arrive soon in North America....really sorry about that.
If you are still in the replacement period that the seller gave you, you may contact them.
Thank you."

I ordered my card from Amazon, so my return and exchange window is still valid. The issue is Amazon's product stock, not sure they'll have one to exchange with me, and the second concern is getting a new one that also has the same issue. Has anyone been successful exchanging these cards and getting a non-defective one?

EDIT: So just contacted Amazon, they do not have these in stock as figured. They would not be able to exchange one for me, just a refund. This is ridiculous. So my options seem to be either return this and try to get another one during a drop or live with it until Asus figures out a solution, even though they are being cryptic.

That's what I got from Blake as well, doesn't sound promising. If we at least could get some idea rough ETA on what to expect from Asus, but no, nothing.

If this fix whatever that would be would take 1-2 even 3 months which is reasonable if you ask me I could wait, my card is honestly excellent clocker I wouldn't want to lose it, but no ETA at all as if there is and won't be fix at all.

I got mine from Newegg and I can return within 3 months which is good, but I contacted them last night and no ETA on stock availability at all.

I use my cards for Neurological Machine learning and currently I have 3x Titan RTX, few Titan Black running on my home network on # of systems, all that is running via special forensic network agents to connect to all GPUs on network and work together in combination with my main system with Strix 3090 which is the big boss I hate to brake that, in fact, I was going to get 2 more Strix 3090 but this is not promising at all.

What makes me believe Asus will ignore this/us because Blake's first response to the issue was "We are going to prepare the parts by larger batch for these two regions afterwards" which sounded like he might have had good intention and we also have to understand that most likely he is the middle man, but now not even rough ETA, doesn't sound promising and if there is no hope than what is there to hold on to.

I wouldn't want to look elsewhere yet, but if nothing else is giving to us as far is fixing for this, I might ditch it and not look back, you don't want to get stack with bad product, and no support, which we all heard how Asus support is rated in many reviews, let's see where this will take us.

Liquidus
12-19-2020, 08:53 PM
This is a joke. I have this issue too. Absolutely unacceptable for an $1800+ card.

gooper23
12-20-2020, 01:56 AM
This is a joke. I have this issue too. Absolutely unacceptable for an $1800+ card.

Agreed. I got an email telling me the repair would take 2 weeks with no guarantee and could take longer due to part shortages. They also told me I don't even qualify for a shipping label. It's a $1800 GPU, shipping and insuring this thing is going to be expensive as hell. I'm seriously considering just returning it.

pk1209
12-21-2020, 09:37 AM
My latest fix is working OK while I wait for updates.... i cut 3 small squares from a velcro cable tie and slid them in between the card and the shroud, 1 on each end and 1 in the middle. Had it like that for a week or so and combined with the sag bracket, it's working well. But yeah, eye-watering price for the card (still can't quite believe I pulled the trigger on it!) so this is disappointing... I specifically held out for Asus as wanted top tier on quality

curthard89
12-21-2020, 11:22 AM
My latest fix is working OK while I wait for updates.... i cut 3 small squares from a velcro cable tie and slid them in between the card and the shroud, 1 on each end and 1 in the middle. Had it like that for a week or so and combined with the sag bracket, it's working well. But yeah, eye-watering price for the card (still can't quite believe I pulled the trigger on it!) so this is disappointing... I specifically held out for Asus as wanted top tier on quality

I also just have a sag stand one end, and also a sag stand directly under the shroud where case PCI bracket is, this 90% resolves the issue for me, (stops the buzzing at the fan speeds I normally get to), but can come back with higher speeds. but again, should not have to push the shroud up to get it to be silent. Im rather pissed off, but as its still impossible to get a new card, i have to keep hold of it.*

curthard89
12-21-2020, 01:23 PM
Agreed. I got an email telling me the repair would take 2 weeks with no guarantee and could take longer due to part shortages. They also told me I don't even qualify for a shipping label. It's a $1800 GPU, shipping and insuring this thing is going to be expensive as hell. I'm seriously considering just returning it.

What country are you in? Im in the UK, by law the have to provide free returns and back n forth for faulty hardware, in absolutely no situation are the consumer required to pay for faulty returns.

MrHDR
12-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Talked to the place i bought it from (in Norway for context) and they are sending me a replacement once they have them in stock.

curthard89
12-23-2020, 06:00 PM
I messaged Blake, they will eventually want the cards back to sort it, which is fine.

I currently am happily gaming undervolted (but overclocked) with two GPU sag holders stopping the buzzing noise which i'm fine with until Asus let us know what is going on :-).

Apart from the buzzing at nth fan speed, i'm very pleased with the card, it's an utter beast.*

Megascrypt
12-23-2020, 06:46 PM
I messaged Blake, they will eventually want the cards back to sort it, which is fine.

I currently am happily gaming undervolted (but overclocked) with two GPU sag holders stopping the buzzing noise which i'm fine with until Asus let us know what is going on :-).

Apart from the buzzing at nth fan speed, i'm very pleased with the card, it's an utter beast.*

I own 3x Titan RTX, 2x quadros RTX 6000, few Titan Blacks so they all quite expensive and very good at what they meant for, but I have to give Asus thumbs up for this Strix design.

Love the slick and stealth look especially with RGB's off and internal components are much superior to other AIB partners. Also mine can clock easily at 2060-2070 without drops, keep in mind I have good case airflow and my NHD15S dual fan takes a lot of that backplate heat out to exhaust, which is huge help.

gooper23
12-24-2020, 07:42 PM
I was able to put a bandaid on the issue until they have available stock for an advanced RMA. I had a piece of tape and just put it between the shroud. Seems to put enough tension on it to stop the audible vibrations.

Megascrypt
12-24-2020, 07:55 PM
I was able to put a bandaid on the issue until they have available stock for an advanced RMA. I had a piece of tape and just put it between the shroud. Seems to put enough tension on it to stop the audible vibrations.

Oh My :D definitely doesn't look appealing, but if it works for now until you can get your hands on replacement ;)

gooper23
12-24-2020, 08:10 PM
Oh My :D definitely doesn't look appealing, but if it works for now until you can get your hands on replacement ;)

Actually scratch that idea. The vibration came back after about 20 minutes.

Currently trying to put pressure on the bottom of the shroud. So far so good. I'll update if things change.

This is the anti sag bracket included in the 011 dynamic. It's just a tiny bit short so i added a dime as a base.

Megascrypt
12-24-2020, 08:41 PM
Actually scratch that idea. The vibration came back after about 20 minutes.

Currently trying to put pressure on the bottom of the shroud. So far so good. I'll update if things change.

This is the anti sag bracket included in the 011 dynamic. It's just a tiny bit short so i added a dime as a base.

Mine is in vertical position, yet rattles. Maybe the vertical position helps to eliminate some # of cards that are affected, but obviously not all of them. Although, the sag might be partially to blame I think the root cause could be elsewhere as well.

I have installed that card in my STH10 horizontally and to a naked eye it looks perfectly straight, Asus did a good job with the reinforced bracket, it does make the whole card sturdier, but it appears that something else triggers the vibration, regardless of the card position.

Btw. The purple color on your RGB card looks awesome and the white rubber anti-vibration corners on the chromax fans looking great.

hi_am_muza
12-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Reposting my fix from the 3080 thread.

I fixed my rattling at 62-66% speed issue completely. Always happened when I was running a certain compute workload and could recreate the issue repeatably.

Using sag supports, doing vertical case or mount, or applying pressure elsewhere partially fixed it but it arose again when the card was loaded differently.

Now it's gone everywhere.

I Cut three 2x2cm pieces of paper towel.

Then folded 3 times each to make small rectangles (https://i.imgur.com/MoDHhwd.png).

Using tweezers poking through the blades and without disassembling the card, I shoved them firmly under these (https://i.imgur.com/POizfn8.jpg) plastic pieces that hold the fans, once for each of the three fans until I saw the plastic part lift a little.

It is important that whatever you put in there is fairly tight to put tension/load on the fan mount like a spring, and to prevent the shim from possibly falling out over time.

That raised the fans away from the fin stack.

I tested by tapping the middle of the fan with my finger. Before it would make a clicking sound like something was loose. Now it makes a muffled solid "thunk".

Shimming the middle fan stopped nearly all of the high pitched rattle and changed the pitch to a barely audible duller one.

Shimming all three fans stopped all rattle in all load scenarios. Now I only hear regular fan and air noise.

tfw a piece of paper towel fixes a $850 USD flagship graphics card. (https://i.imgur.com/iDMTv4I.png) YMMV.

Cutaway (https://i.imgur.com/mkpQXkk.png)

cerbie80
01-03-2021, 09:10 PM
@blake any updates please?

At this kind of premium product I would expect a more involved response. Appreciate the acknowledgement of the issue, but we need an official solution that does not involve DIY solutions and pushing combustible materials near heat/electrical sources as suggested by fellow members who are trying to find a solution in lieu of a response.

Thanks in advance.

gooper23
01-04-2021, 08:00 AM
It's actually quite disappointing about how silent ASUS has been about this issue. This is literally one of the most expensive variants of the Ampere line and yet the support given is abysmal. I will definitely think twice about purchasing ASUS moving forward.

curthard89
01-04-2021, 11:00 AM
@blake any updates please?

At this kind of premium product I would expect a more involved response. Appreciate the acknowledgement of the issue, but we need an official solution that does not involve DIY solutions and pushing combustible materials near heat/electrical sources as suggested by fellow members who are trying to find a solution in lieu of a response.

Thanks in advance.

The official solution will be when eventually they reply to us about having to send the cards back in for the service and they will most likely replace the full shroud. What scares me about that is that will they even other to test the new one, or just get same PCB back with a new shroud which hopefully does not have the issue.

On a more positive note, I don't recall any of the newer cards (since a month or so) having issues (i've look on the net for issues), so hopefully the issue has been resolved and was down to bad first few batches.

But yes, the silence is appalling, we all want silence, on the card, not about the issue ;)

Whats sad is that some of us (myself included) had to spend more to buy more sag holders/brackets to at least get rid of some of it, so compensation would be great too, also sad I have to reduce the power limit and don't let the card boost as high so it does not reach the temps that cause the buzzing :-(

cerbie80
01-04-2021, 11:57 AM
The official solution will be when eventually they reply to us about having to send the cards back in for the service and they will most likely replace the full shroud. What scares me about that is that will they even other to test the new one, or just get same PCB back with a new shroud which hopefully does not have the issue.

On a more positive note, I don't recall any of the newer cards (since a month or so) having issues (i've look on the net for issues), so hopefully the issue has been resolved and was down to bad first few batches.

But yes, the silence is appalling, we all want silence, on the card, not about the issue ;)

Whats sad is that some of us (myself included) had to spend more to buy more sag holders/brackets to at least get rid of some of it, so compensation would be great too, also sad I have to reduce the power limit and don't let the card boost as high so it does not reach the temps that cause the buzzing :-(

To be honest I would personally really much prefer not to have to send my card in for a shroud refit - I am happy to do this myself and it is quite straightforward. Also sending my card in would leave me without a graphics card for (most likely) weeks which would represent an unacceptable loss of productivity to me.

If fitting a shroud ourselves in not an option, an advanced replacement would be fine in that regard. I could not do that with a retailer and there is an ongoing issue with availability but for over £1700 worth of card from a partner retailer (not scalpers) I do expect the company to stand behind their product. One way or another we need a definitive answer soon. Depending on your individual location/country you may have different customer protection laws, so time could be of the essence.

I like Asus as a vendor that builds good quality hardware and I like my card, noise aside. I am trying to be patient but I need an indication that this is taken seriously and we, as customers, will be taken care of and so far there is little in the way of any reassurances.

Also I wonder what the legal complications would be if certain people in their attempt to silence their cards end up pushing combustibles into what amounts to be a 500W heat source and god forbid this leads to a fire and property damage or worse. Pretty sure that won't be a good PR day for anyone.

curthard89
01-04-2021, 01:26 PM
To be honest I would personally really much prefer not to have to send my card in for a shroud refit - I am happy to do this myself and it is quite straightforward. Also sending my card in would leave me without a graphics card for (most likely) weeks which would represent an unacceptable loss of productivity to me.

If fitting a shroud ourselves in not an option, an advanced replacement would be fine in that regard. I could not do that with a retailer and there is an ongoing issue with availability but for over ƒ€š‚£1700 worth of card from a partner retailer (not scalpers) I do expect the company to stand behind their product. One way or another we need a definitive answer soon. Depending on your individual location/country you may have different customer protection laws, so time could be of the essence.

I like Asus as a vendor that builds good quality hardware and I like my card, noise aside. I am trying to be patient but I need an indication that this is taken seriously and we, as customers, will be taken care of and so far there is little in the way of any reassurances.

Also I wonder what the legal complications would be if certain people in their attempt to silence their cards end up pushing combustibles into what amounts to be a 500W heat source and god forbid this leads to a fire and property damage or worse. Pretty sure that won't be a good PR day for anyone.

I asked Blake on a DM, he confirmed the cards will have to be sent back, as like you, I am happy at just replacing it myself, I would be happy to open my card up to see what the issue is, but don't want to void the warranty on it, so waiting for Asus to sort them.

If you are like me and from the UK, UK law states the manufacture has to completely at no cost to me sort the issue out, consumer law states for uptown 6 years for the products life if it's faulty.

So under absolutely no circumstance must a cost be incurred to me, that includes postage and labour.*

cerbie80
01-04-2021, 03:17 PM
I asked Blake on a DM, he confirmed the cards will have to be sent back, as like you, I am happy at just replacing it myself, I would be happy to open my card up to see what the issue is, but don't want to void the warranty on it, so waiting for Asus to sort them.

If you are like me and from the UK, UK law states the manufacture has to completely at no cost to me sort the issue out, consumer law states for uptown 6 years for the products life if it's faulty.

So under absolutely no circumstance must a cost be incurred to me, that includes postage and labour.*

JFYI doing such a simple task yourself should not be an issue - my understanding is that ASUS is happy to and confirmed that they will honour warranty in cases where customers choose to watercool their cards (which is more involved than simply removing the shroud, as it includes cooler removal, repasting, etc) as long as in the event of a fault/return the client can reinstall the original shroud. Obviously the warranty would not cover any damage a client potentially did to the PCB, but if you have not caused any damage and dealing with any kind of manufacturing defect, your rights/warranty are not affected.

Also, I appreciate there may not be postage/labour costs incurred, but what about the inconvenience of not having a graphics card for god knows how many weeks? With the current hardware shortages it may become impossible to find anything else remotely relevant in stock if you need anywhere near that spec for work for example. I would also say that buying a graphics card to be able to use your machine while your ~2k card is being repaired is a bit of a problem too.

garfieldsorlando
01-04-2021, 11:07 PM
Reposting my fix from the 3080 thread.

This works for me! Now the noise is gone. Ty!

pk1209
01-05-2021, 12:57 PM
I'm honestly shocked that people are putting something as flammable as paper towel directly onto something that is designed to get to 80 degrees and beyond! Surely a bit of silicone or even some folded up electrical tape would make more sense and have the same affect?

KMagic
01-05-2021, 02:14 PM
I just got a Strix 3090 Christmas week (purchased from newegg with next day air shipping). I had already been researching the card and had found this thread so I was eager to get my card in and test it. Its now been just shy of 2 weeks in my system, and I have tested the card extensively, stress tested it, overclocked it, and put some heavy use on it. I have had NO fan noise issue, no vibration as mentioned in this thread, or like I have seen in several videos. The card does have some fairly strong coil whine however, that could almost mimic the sound of a vibrating fan to someone who isnt familiar with these issues, but is 100% coil whine noise.

I wanted to post however because I noticed something with my card that MAY be a fix for this issue already being implemented - but I need some response here to know for sure. I noticed when I took the card out of the packaging that my fan shroud is very loose. Like I can grip it on either side and physically slide it around. It is not super stiff like every other video card I have owned in the past. The movement is only in the shroud itself - the fans themselves do not move with the shroud, and the heatsink is rock solid, its just the plastic shell, and it appears very deliberately designed this way. The range of movement isnt a ton, but its enough that I immediately noticed it when I picked it up. It appears from all I can tell however that it was designed this way. It has enough play in it however that with my vga support bracket on the end of the card, it pushes the shroud up on that end, and almost makes the card look slightly crooked in the socket, as if Im pushing up too hard on the card, but its just because of the slight play in the shroud makes it appear that way.. again Im not talking about massive range of movement here but at least a couple millimeters of play. I want to know if anyone can verify how solid your shroud feels on your strix 3090? Is it super sturdy and rigid or does it have a little play in it?

I have tried pressing and moving the shroud as the card is running full tilt and I cant make it produce any fan vibration noise. My card seems to not have this issue at all. Hopefully it doesn't develop it, but I've put hours and hours of stress testing on it so far, with fans running between 70-95% the whole time. I have of course forced other fan speeds under load to look for the issue, and its simply not present in my 2 week old card.

EDIT: also just to add for those who may be curious - my card had plastics to remove EVERYWHERE. Lightbar, front face plate, backplate, and may have even been on the fan motors but I dont recall 100% if it was on the fans. I add this because many mentioned not having plastics to peel off.

Megascrypt
01-05-2021, 04:45 PM
I just got a Strix 3090 Christmas week (purchased from newegg with next day air shipping). I had already been researching the card and had found this thread so I was eager to get my card in and test it. Its now been just shy of 2 weeks in my system, and I have tested the card extensively, stress tested it, overclocked it, and put some heavy use on it. I have had NO fan noise issue, no vibration as mentioned in this thread, or like I have seen in several videos. The card does have some fairly strong coil whine however, that could almost mimic the sound of a vibrating fan to someone who isnt familiar with these issues, but is 100% coil whine noise.

I wanted to post however because I noticed something with my card that MAY be a fix for this issue already being implemented - but I need some response here to know for sure. I noticed when I took the card out of the packaging that my fan shroud is very loose. Like I can grip it on either side and physically slide it around. It is not super stiff like every other video card I have owned in the past. The movement is only in the shroud itself - the fans themselves do not move with the shroud, and the heatsink is rock solid, its just the plastic shell, and it appears very deliberately designed this way. The range of movement isnt a ton, but its enough that I immediately noticed it when I picked it up. It appears from all I can tell however that it was designed this way. It has enough play in it however that with my vga support bracket on the end of the card, it pushes the shroud up on that end, and almost makes the card look slightly crooked in the socket, as if Im pushing up too hard on the card, but its just because of the slight play in the shroud makes it appear that way.. again Im not talking about massive range of movement here but at least a couple millimeters of play. I want to know if anyone can verify how solid your shroud feels on your strix 3090? Is it super sturdy and rigid or does it have a little play in it?

I have tried pressing and moving the shroud as the card is running full tilt and I cant make it produce any fan vibration noise. My card seems to not have this issue at all. Hopefully it doesn't develop it, but I've put hours and hours of stress testing on it so far, with fans running between 70-95% the whole time. I have of course forced other fan speeds under load to look for the issue, and its simply not present in my 2 week old card.

EDIT: also just to add for those who may be curious - my card had plastics to remove EVERYWHERE. Lightbar, front face plate, backplate, and may have even been on the fan motors but I dont recall 100% if it was on the fans. I add this because many mentioned not having plastics to peel off.
I can confirm your findings. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now since you've mentioned, there is a slight shroud movement as if it's not tight enough.

I also got my card at Newegg and the whole card incl. the centre of the fans had plastic protective film. Unfortunately my card has fairly loud vibration sound regardless of vertical or horizontal placement.

I have 35 days left to return the card to Newegg for full refund or replacement. I don't want to end up without card so for now I'm still keeping it, but if I won't be able to get another strix 3090 from Newegg within 35 days as the stock isn't there I will return my current Strix and probably move to different AIB I don't want to end up with faulty card design since ASUS seem to ignored that and we, effected customers have been put on the back burner

BTw. This is my first Asus card and from the looks of it, it might be my last.

garfieldsorlando
01-05-2021, 09:39 PM
I can confirm your findings. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now since you've mentioned, there is a slight shroud movement as if it's not tight enough.

I also got my card at Newegg and the whole card incl. the centre of the fans had plastic protective film. Unfortunately my card has fairly loud vibration sound regardless of vertical or horizontal placement.

I have 35 days left to return the card to Newegg for full refund or replacement. I don't want to end up without card so for now I'm still keeping it, but if I won't be able to get another strix 3090 from Newegg within 35 days as the stock isn't there I will return my current Strix and probably move to different AIB I don't want to end up with faulty card design since ASUS seem to ignored that and we, effected customers have been put on the back burner

BTw. This is my first Asus card and from the looks of it, it might be my last.

It is definitely a design flaw. After putting some shim to lift fans a bit away from the heatsink, vibration noise is gone. I am holding a bit with RMA with newegg as the coil whine for my unit is minimal. Trying to get another one before I sent this one back.

curthard89
01-05-2021, 10:02 PM

The shroud very much moves more than most, but seems to be a free floating thing (to an extent), mine does not move side to side, but can compress on both ends (how i've managed to stop mostly stop the noise - with a sag holder both ends pushing both ends up)

Happens at 80-100% fan, but also massively temp dependant. So just waiting for Asus to actually help us out instead of concentrating on getting new cards out and not caring about us. Im a patient man, its not impacting my enjoyment of gaming (headphones etc), but time will tell, just want it sorted :-)

What kind of temps are you getting? Mine will happily reach 70deg with 72% fan with 100% load and 100% power draw, some games do 100% load but only like 80% power draw so sits in the low 60's. Most unreal engine games for unknown reasons will draw absolutely everything, stick the card at 123%, they will draw 123% and just roast the card (obviously clocks drop when power limited), i normally leave mine around 110% (i undervolt to reduce power and sustain clocks more)*

gooper23
01-06-2021, 06:50 AM
I'm honestly shocked that people are putting something as flammable as paper towel directly onto something that is designed to get to 80 degrees and beyond! Surely a bit of silicone or even some folded up electrical tape would make more sense and have the same affect?

1. The copper heat pipes are nowhere near 80*C
2. 80*C does not cause paper to combust.
3. I agree there are alternative materials. I used a cut up piece of double sided tape that seemed to fit just right.

KMagic
01-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Well based on the replies it seems my theory has been shot down. I was thinking the loose shroud was maybe something new that asus had done to address this issue, but it appears owners of older cards also have the same loose shroud. Based on the videos I had seen it appeared to me that the shroud was very firm and stiff. If they are all loose like mine however, then nothing has changed. I guess all I can add to this discussion then is to say that this issue does not affect every card, because I do not have this problem with vibration noises related to the fans, and I've been paying very close attention to the card the past 2 weeks as I have been stress testing and overclocking.

Regarding my temps - I run the card currently at a power limit of 107%.. In my testing of this card the sweet spot is between 105% and 110% power limit. This puts the card drawing around 400-420w of power. In my testing, taking the power limit beyond 110%, in a lot of games, results in a miniscule additional boost of performance. I spent hours and hours and hours testing the power limit, benchmarking, changing the limit, benchmarking, changing it again and benchmarking, and noting temperature and power draw at each step. Running the card at the 123% max power limit at this point is really really pointless in my opinion. You increase the temperature of the card by several degrees immediately, and often gain nothing tangible for it. This is because, as I mentioned, the card will often boost to 2000mhz+ at a 107% power limit. My card starts to show instability when you get over 2055mhz. It may run one game fine hitting 2055mhz or even 2070mhz occasionally, but then crash 20 minutes into a different game, so trying to push above 2040mhz. The way the GPU boost works makes it VERY hard to say "I want to shoot for 2055mhz" Because you can get one game to boost to 2055mhz and be ok, then lanch another game, with a different load, and the gpu will try to boost to 2070mhz, which may cause a crash. If you adjust the core down to keep it from going over 2055mhz in that game, then it drops to 2025mhz in the other game. I spent several days perfecting a custom voltage/clock curve, only to eventually, after LOTS of testing, throwing the thing out and just going with a flat +60 on the core. +60 on the core will not crash in anything Ive tested. Some games I will hit 1980mhz, other games Ill see 2040mhz, its all in the different type of load and how the card responds. If you push too hard on the core, then you find that some games will try to boost way too high and cause you to crash. The only way to control this is to find the highest offset you can apply that will work with everything. +75mhz in my testing is about the limit for my strixx 3090 OC edition. The next step up would be +90mhz, and this will work most everywhere but the closer I got to a 100mhz offset the more instability I would eventually start hitting.

So, the card will already clock over 2000mhz at 110% power limit, so pushing the power limit to 123% will only cause the average clock over a given time period to be higher. For example, if you ever run 3d mark and watch your clocks in real time, they bounce around a lot along the voltage/clock curve. Pushing the power limit up to the max will enable the card to spend more time in the upper ends of that curve, so instead of dropping from say 2040mhz down to 1995mhz in one section of a benchmark, it may only drop down to 2010mhz instead, so at the end of the benchmark your average clock is a little higher. It nets a few more points in 3d mark scores, and costs about 7 or 8 degrees higher temperature, which is not at all worth it. GPU boost is already so aggressive that overclocking video cards these days is a lot more tricky than it used to be back when clocks were just a fixed value. I have even had moments where a certain overclock is unstable, and you can run the same benchmark 20 times in a row and it will crash on the 21st time as soon as the card tries to hit 2070mhz or something, eventhough it bossted to it fine 20 times prior. It means that 2070mhz isnt 100% stable, but given the card only sits there for a few seconds typically before dropping back down, you can run some quick tests and think you are stable only to crash hours later. You have to really be cautious on the overclocks for this reason, and is why I finally found +60 and 105 - 110% power limitto be a super solid sweet spot. The card will boost to its near maximum stable clock of ~2040mhz in some games, but on average sits around 2000mhz, and keeps the temperatures in my case right at 70c max load with fans around 75 to 80%. If I max fans out to 100% I can keep the card around 68/69c under full long duration load. The case cooling set up has a big impact on this though. I am moving to a new Lian Li o11 dynamic XL build this weekend, and out of a Phanteks p400a build, so I expect to see my gpu temps come down. I will have intakes on the floor of the case feeding into the GPU, and wont have a CPU radiator blowing warm air into the card.

I rambled a lot here but maybe someone finds it useful. This has kinda been consuming my free time the last 2 weeks doing all this testing so.

HANS.SUCHOCKI
01-12-2021, 11:11 AM
Blake just told me to RMA my Card (EU).... i dont think i will do that, theres almost no stock and i cant wait like 4 Weeks for my card :(

pk1209
01-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Blake just told me to RMA my Card (EU).... i dont think i will do that, theres almost no stock and i cant wait like 4 Weeks for my card :(

Yeah, same for me.. but RMA process doesn't even recognise my serial number, so can't even proceed if I wanted to. Have emailed and asked about advanced replacement as an option, as not going to sit without a card for weeks on end... Shouldn't have to amount of money I spent on this thing

pk1209
01-12-2021, 01:43 PM
Reply from my email to Asus:

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Support. My name is Arsen

Please be advised that the RMA/return process is via the place of purchase only, true to the distribution channel. There is no direct RMA process with ASUS, this is why the form is not accepting the serial number.

I understand this is inconvenient, however in this case we suggest you contact your retailer for advice on returns/replacement or any other options they can offer. As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the duration of the warranty. They should be able to sort this out for you. ASUS has no other policy on these devices; We cannot replace or repair these devices.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us again."

Blade said I could do it through Asus, Asus say I can't... @Blake - can you advise here. No point RMA'ing with retailer if there is no stock

curthard89
01-12-2021, 09:58 PM
Reply from my email to Asus:

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Support. My name is Arsen

Please be advised that the RMA/return process is via the place of purchase only, true to the distribution channel. There is no direct RMA process with ASUS, this is why the form is not accepting the serial number.

I understand this is inconvenient, however in this case we suggest you contact your retailer for advice on returns/replacement or any other options they can offer. As part of the sale process the retailer accepted that they would control all returns/replacement on behalf of ASUS for the duration of the warranty. They should be able to sort this out for you. ASUS has no other policy on these devices; We cannot replace or repair these devices.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us again."

Blade said I could do it through Asus, Asus say I can't... @Blake - can you advise here. No point RMA'ing with retailer if there is no stock

Also got message from Blake, rather confusing.

No point of sending back to retailer until they have excess stock (which won't happen for a long while yet), not really sure what to do, also, if they won't repair and get new cards, I want my specific card back, I know its exact traits and clocks and voltages it runs at, don't want something with is subpar to what I have now (which is possible).

I've asked the retailer I bought my card from what the next steps are — I shall report back with information when I have it.

Yopis
01-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Having exact same issue 3080 strix . What is the solution or status with asus?

rawbar
01-17-2021, 07:49 PM
ASUS says I can mail in my 3070 (per Blake on 1/12) for exchange or bring it back to my place of purchase (Amazon) for exchange (hahahaha).
My solution was to get a vertical GPU mount kit that's braced along the bottom (EKWB). I think the vibration is caused because the card is so heavy and the part furthest from the back of the PC is flexing enough that the fan is hitting something or the bearings on the fan are out of balance or something along those lines. Once the card is braced the issue went away.

Arggh, my picture keeps coming up rotated. Tilt your head to the left :)

rawbar
01-18-2021, 03:18 AM
several hours later, total silence mining ETH @ 62MH/s with the vertical bracket. 58C temp @ 59% fan. I wish the fans were RGB though! :D

pk1209
01-18-2021, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I been told I have to go through the retailer which would be the same as kissing my card goodbye... pretty piss*d seeing as I held out for the Asus ROG Strix specifically as I wanted to know I was getting quality given how much the card cost. For now, I have fixes in place along with the sag bracket, and basically no vibration issues... but once stock levels even out, I think the RMA is still my plan

Megascrypt
01-18-2021, 05:35 PM
several hours later, total silence mining ETH @ 62MH/s with the vertical bracket. 58C temp @ 59% fan. I wish the fans were RGB though! :D

Shhhh, don't say that out loud

I hope that was sarcasm, RGB's are hideous, RGB's are for Kids, no offence to anyone but they look so gimmicky, they ruin the appearance.

curthard89
01-18-2021, 06:00 PM
My card was collected by my retailer on Friday, they have confirmed delivery of it back to them today, so will see how it goes, i'll keep informed. I think they will just send back to Asus now, will keep everyone posted.

Regarding the GPU mount for sag, for me, it just makes it resonate at a higher RPM, so issue still there, just less likely to get it, if im paying 1699 for a GPU, i should not have to "fix it" myself.

@Yopis, you need to RMA your card with your retailer, who will then send it back to ASUS to sort, don't know time scales, according to Blake, they have the parts ready (or new cards) at their centres. Depending on location and also depends if they have the 3080's not just the 3090's. I believe there is another forum regarding 3080's.

curthard89
01-18-2021, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I been told I have to go through the retailer which would be the same as kissing my card goodbye... pretty piss*d seeing as I held out for the Asus ROG Strix specifically as I wanted to know I was getting quality given how much the card cost. For now, I have fixes in place along with the sag bracket, and basically no vibration issues... but once stock levels even out, I think the RMA is still my plan

Only solution is to RMA it, i've taken one for the team and will see how long it takes, according to Blake they are ready with replacements. Ive been down the route of brackets, which "helps" but does not fix.

Really sucks, but thats just how it is :-(

KMagic
01-18-2021, 08:15 PM
Well, I had posted previous about not having the fan noise issue. Mine started today. Havent touched the card. Its even got a support bracket. I took the panels off the case to investigate. I feel pretty certain my noise is coming directly from the actual fan bearing on the 3rd fan (The one furthest from the monitor connections). I can gently tap the back of the card near the open backplate vent and it goes away as I tap. The noise only occurs between 1500 and 1700rpm. Any other RPM from 800 to 3,000 sounds normal - Its only inside that window, particularly right at 1600rpm where it makes a grinding noise. No amount of pushing, pulling. flexing, squeezing the shroud or card in any way makes the sound go away. Putting finger in center of fan and gently touching it causes sound to stop. It sounds like its coming right from the bearing, and Im all but certain it is, so in my case that has just developed I can say I dont feel it is the shroud. Going to keep playing with it.

My card has been flawless and completely silent aside from normal fan noise and some coil whine. I could maybe work around this new fan noise but I'm concerned it could mean the fan bearing is going out.

rawbar
01-19-2021, 02:45 AM
Shhhh, don't say that out loud

I hope that was sarcasm, RGB's are hideous, RGB's are for Kids, no offence to anyone but they look so gimmicky, they ruin the appearance.

Everyone has different tastes. I grew up with beige boxes for PCs, I'm a 53 YO that enjoys lights and color.

Yopis
01-19-2021, 05:39 AM
@Yopis, you need to RMA your card with your retailer, who will then send it back to ASUS to sort, don't know time scales, according to Blake, they have the parts ready (or new cards) at their centres. Depending on location and also depends if they have the 3080's not just the 3090's. I believe there is another forum regarding 3080's.

Thanks for the info. Keep us updated and hope process goes well for you. For all of us. My first ever gpu. Always said when the time came. Wanted a Strix. Real bummer.

curthard89
01-20-2021, 03:49 PM
So far, my UK retailer collected on Friday (free of charge from me via DPD), they received it Monday, with confirmation. Yesterday (20th Jan) they have said they have sent back to Asus. Thats the current update so far.

funk3r
01-21-2021, 03:16 PM
I was informed by Blake that USA owners can now send their cards in for RMA. Has anyone done this yet? I trying to get an estimate of the turn around time as this is the only GPU I have at this current time.

KMagic
01-23-2021, 05:00 AM
Yea my card has developed this noise now and it is very noticeable if the fans are spinning around 1600 rpm as mentioned. I looked at several videos of others who have this issue and the noise I hear is essentially the same little buzzing sound (not to be confused with the coil whine noise which is also present) My noise does not go away if I push on the light bar or anything howewver. From best I can tell the sound is coming right form the center of the fan. Really hoping it isnt the bearings making that noise but It sure seems to come from that location. Only at very specific RPM's (1500-1700 as stated) is the noise present. I have purchased a verticle GPU mount and may try to use it and see how it goes. I would prefer to leave the gpu horizontally mounted but I've seen other people say vertical mounting fixes the issue.

The worst case scenario in this is that the bearing goes out and the fan eventually fails. I also note that the offending fan is different for everyone reporting the issue. For some it is the first fan, some say the middle fan, and in my case, its the third fan at the end of the card making the noise. It is really disappointing considering the cost of the card. Unlike others, I have zero plan to RMA the card. If the fan eventually fails Ill figure out a solution, even moving to a waterblock and water cooling if I have to.

KMagic
01-25-2021, 04:00 PM
Just a quick update on my noise issue - I can confirm that mounting the GPU vertically solves the weird fan noise buzzing that occurs at 1500-1700rpm. I now have no fan noise at all from 0 rpm to 3000 rpm. I really was reluctant to mount the card vertically, because I was worried about thermals, and about having that super hot back plate being directed at my ram and M.2 ssd drives on the Mobo. After testing it however, I am getting 1 degree lower temps at full load on the GPU (67c vs 68c), and have noticed a 1-2c increase in the "system" temperature, which is measured from a sensor on the motherboard, but my system temperatures have always been really good, so a slight uptick is still in a good range. Ive also seen no performance loss (another concern I had with going vertical and using a riser cable). Lastly, with the card vertical, the coil whine seems to be slightly less audible. Ive decided to leave the GPU vertical after my testing, finding that it, to my surprise, is a better fit for my system. I should add however that I run the Lian Li o11 dynamic XL case which has a lot of fans, including 2 140MM on the bottom and 3 120mm front/side as intakes, all corsair ML fans. My 360mm rad is in the top, so no CPU heat being dumped into the case. I also have another 120mm Corsair ML fan in the back of the case for another exhaust so all in all 5 intakes and 4 exhaust fans in this system. The 5 intakes on this case are what really make the vertical gpu switch work so well.

I just got so annoyed hearing that fan noise - for some reason, when playing path of exile my gpu loved to sit at around 62c ( I cap the fps at 120 so the gpu isnt at 100% load) and at 62c the fans would hover right at that point of noise, and that buzzing fan noise was driving me crazy. I still am not certain what causes the noise. I inspected the fan under 10x magnification glass and bright light and poked around and never could find anything wrong. I did notice a slight, possible wear mark on the support arm of the underside of the fan, just below the blades when looking at the face of the card. It was faint, and could be nothing, but it is all I could find. The travel distance between the fan blade and this support arm is very small, but I do find it hard to see how the fan, when in a horizontal mounting position would hit this arm, as the fan spinning should actually levitate outward not in toward the card you would think. So, I am still not sure if the fan is hitting something, if the fan is causing some little vibration of something, or if the noise is coming from the actual fan bearing. Its really hard to pin point without taking some real drastic measures, like totally pulling the fan off the board, power it up on its own and being able to monitor it, maneuver it, and inspect it outside of the card.

tldr: If you want to stop the fan noise 100%, and dont want to RMA, get a vertical gpu mount.

rawbar
01-30-2021, 10:21 PM
exactly. i posted on 1/17 after mounting vertically it's been completely silent. since then, i've been mining ETH and running the card at 100% 24/7 and there hasn't been a single peep. nothing but blissful silence

mr_illa
02-01-2021, 01:36 PM
This has been my issues with the card........ enjoy

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1297167-strix-3090-coil-whine-solved-due-to-thermal-pads-with-no-contact/

Wake up asus please this will effect your bottom line_______________________________ time to act is now

KMagic
02-01-2021, 03:18 PM
This has been my issues with the card........ enjoy

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1297167-strix-3090-coil-whine-solved-due-to-thermal-pads-with-no-contact/

Wake up asus please this will effect your bottom line_______________________________ time to act is now

I have not noticed any gaps on the thermal pads of my card as you show in the pic. I do however have coil whine, as I think many 3090's do. Coil whine is annoying, but it does not mean anything is wrong with the card. Its completely normal for coil whine to exist on a healthy card. The noise you are hearing is vibration in one of the circuits on the board as current passes through it. As the current changes, the sound will change, so you likely notice the noise pitch will shift and change based on the rendering load. The only way to truly address coil whine is to isolate where it is coming from on the board, and try to dampen it or prevent the vibration caused by current. Some folks are able to isolate it for example and put a thermal pad over the circuit and it stops it, or drastically reduces it.

My strix 3090 does produce probably the loudest coil whine I've heard on a card before, but its not the only card I've had it happen on. Perhaps there is something they could do to lessen it, but the important thing is that the coil whine is normal. Most all electronics have coil whine, its just a matter of how audible it is. It just is unfortunate that in this card its very audible. The card isn't broken though. Coil whine in fact has no negative impact on the card at all - its just that it is annoying to listen to. Some folks also seem to think changing the power supply will affect it, but power supply will have no impact on coil whine. Whatever is vibrating due to current is always going to vibrate when current flows through it. Your only option to stop it is to find out what is vibrating and throw a pad on it.

If you are tech savy, you can disassemble the cooler from the card, and put in new thermal padding and repaste the die. If you look around online you can find where some folks have found they think the noise is coming from. Throw some thermal pads on the area if you find it, and it should help. If you are just angry and feel asus are bad though, then RMA it, but just know that even a new one is almost certainly going to have coil whine as well.

EDIT: Just want to clarify, that coil whine and the issue expressed here with the fans are two entirely seperate issues. Do not confuse or mingle the two. The noises are similar however, both being a buzzing type sound. Some folks have made the mistake of thinking the fan issue noise is coil whine, and vice versa, but the noises from these two issues are entirely seperate and have nothing to do with one another. Coil whine is easy to tell apart because it will shift and change with various renderig loads, and will persist even if you manually turn the fans off with software.

Botrin
02-02-2021, 11:47 AM
Hello everyone, I have had an Asus Rog Strix 3090 OC for about a month, and I wanted to share my experience, three weeks after having it the fan closest to the video connections started making noise, the same thing happens to other users From this forum, I have contacted Asus Spain I told them my case and I am still waiting for them to tell me something; As I consider myself a knowledgeable user and given my situation, I examined the card carefully and noticed that the fan in some area was very close to the card housing, without actually touching, I disassembled the card, accessed the fans that are fixed with two screws and the fan that made noise by loosening the two screws I put it more in the center, take advantage of it and cleaned the thermal paste and reapplied it, I mounted the card and I have been more than a week without any noise. I share my experience because it solved the problem for me. A greeting.

Weaver2
02-05-2021, 08:03 PM
I got a 3090 as well had it for over 3 weeks now. I believe it was a December 2020 manufacture date. I guess I'm lucky cause I have no fan noise. It's definitely got pretty serious coil whine though. I can test by ramping the fans up manually and none of them produce a whine or rattle just fan sounds.

The coil whine is pretty annoying though. Easily the loudest I've ever heard on a GPU and I've been into computers since the DOS era.

curthard89
02-07-2021, 04:19 PM
Just an update on my RMA, my card been with Asus since the 19th/20th Jan 2021, still no news or nothing back yet.

Riplex
02-07-2021, 07:38 PM
Just an update on my RMA, my card been with Asus since the 19th/20th Jan 2021, still no news or nothing back yet.

Hi i am from Germany.
I send my 3080 Strix with this problem to Asus Czech Servce support and get it back in 5 days.
The changed the fan and the led cover.

curthard89
02-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Hi i am from Germany.
I send my 3080 Strix with this problem to Asus Czech Servce support and get it back in 5 days.

Ah nice, i think because i'm UK, Brexit is causing grief with everything at the moment, so struggling to get stuff in and out.
If it reaches 30 days, my retailer will offer me a refund on it anyway, and might just get another card of Asus dont pull their finger out.*

ItzUrReaper
02-10-2021, 06:46 AM
yup, me too. Just purchased from a Microcenter in Ohio. Of course they don't have replacements and for some reason Im told by Asus on twitter that im not eligible for an advanced return. What? what makes me not eligible? I can give a credit card for you to hold funds, I purchased it with one. What's the problem?

r0mbus
02-10-2021, 09:19 AM
Hi i am from Germany.

Hi there! Im from Germany aswell. Could you explain your steps please? What should i do to be able to send my 3090 to Asus support? :) I want to do the same and wont wait too long for a replacement.

curthard89
02-10-2021, 11:56 AM
Hi all, here is the RMA process so far (its not good for the UK)

My retailer has confirmed ASUS cannot sort my card out so will be offering me a refund, or a new card when they get the next batch, so basically ASUS for whatever reason will not fix my card.

So i'm at the front of the queue for a new one when they come in. Utterly terrible experience. Been without a card for almost 30 days now and only just got that news from ASUS from my retailer (retailer are very helpful)

gooper23
02-12-2021, 08:39 PM
After waiting months now for an advanced RMA unit, I finally gave up and just sent my unit in. Not only did I have to fight tooth and nail for them to agree to do an advanced RMA in the first place, I also had to fight for them to even provide a shipping label. Absolutely ridiculous that a $1800+ graphics card comes with such terrible support. I honestly should have just stuck with my EVGA card.

It has been 5 days since they received my card. I will document how the rest of the repair process goes.

I'm in the US for reference.

curthard89
02-14-2021, 11:08 PM
After waiting months now for an advanced RMA unit, I finally gave up and just sent my unit in. Not only did I have to fight tooth and nail for them to agree to do an advanced RMA in the first place, I also had to fight for them to even provide a shipping label. Absolutely ridiculous that a $1800+ graphics card comes with such terrible support. I honestly should have just stuck with my EVGA card.

It has been 5 days since they received my card. I will document how the rest of the repair process goes.

I'm in the US for reference.

Luckily i only have to deal with my superb retailer and not ASUS direct but I bid you good luck.

As you can see from my experience, not getting my card back, so card-less waiting retailer to send me new one from next batch, might just get an FE once they restock and get refund as this takes the p*ss.*

kevin
02-15-2021, 05:04 AM
I'm happy with the card itself, the + mem i can get and the amount of coil whine, but the fan rattling is making me crazy because its right in the optimal RPM to cool my card. I have 20 days left to return to my retailer, BUT thats only if they manage to get a replacement card in, otherwise its full refund and wait for a card. I guess my question is, is this a design problem in the card, and given that I'm happy with this performance/coil whine, am I taking a bigger risk swapping it for a new one?

I'm guessing if Asus has not fixed the actual issue in the manufacturing process, it means all cards are prone to this rattle, including a possible replacement provided by my point of purchase. Its extra scary when i read about people not having the problem, and it developing after weeks or months. Sending your card into Asus is always iffy, they do not guarantee to return the same card to you, so if you have a card that has good silicon, you might lose it when sending in for the fan fix.

I'm wondering if its better to live with the noise for a few more months and trust that asus will acknowledge it, and fix it permanently as an RMA without swapping the actual card. I just don't know what to do at this point. The card shortage is real, and also compounds this problem.

Just wanted to share my thoughts, and disappointment in the most expensive computer purchase i have made in my life. A premium card should not have these issues.

JronMasteR
02-16-2021, 11:32 AM
I have the very same issue on my 3090. Got the card right before new year. I have started to notice the rattle after a few weeks. On mine, its the left and right fan that rattles. Usually, within 65-75% fan speed.
Touching the card while the fans are running at 70%, I don't feel any vibrations.

ASUS should just send out new heatsinks once they narrowed down the issue. It does not make sense to rma the whole card if they have no stock.
Most users are skilled enough to switch the heatsinks.
Ridiculous issue for a freaking 1800$ card...

JronMasteR
02-17-2021, 05:57 PM
It seems that it gets worse and worse over time... This is what you get from ASUS for 1800$
No Stock and if you get one you get this.

gooper23
02-17-2021, 06:08 PM
My expected repair completion date has been removed from my RMA.. This is exactly why I didn't want to send my card in and wanted to opt for an advanced RMA instead.

JronMasteR
02-17-2021, 06:56 PM
My expected repair completion date has been removed from my RMA.. This is exactly why I didn't want to send my card in and wanted to opt for an advanced RMA instead.

And this just to replace a freaking heatsink... Asus support never was any good

knowran
02-18-2021, 06:08 PM
I RMAed my Strix 3090 for artifacts and black screens. My Estimated Completion Date had also disappeared. I haven’t heard anything from Asus. I am guessing they don’t have cards to provide as replacements?

gawdsb
02-22-2021, 09:50 PM
I'm currently having this issue. Is there a consensus on the steps to follow to get this fixed? Do we just RMA or what?

gooper23
02-22-2021, 10:32 PM
I'm currently having this issue. Is there a consensus on the steps to follow to get this fixed? Do we just RMA or what?

See if the place you bought it from can source you a replacement because ASUS warranty process is a pain.

You can ask for an advanced RMA but I waited over 2 months with them never getting any units to send.

You can send it in which you have to fight for them to pay for shipping and they'll say "This is a one time courtesy". Yeah thanks ASUS for being such a pal that you'll pay for shipping on your defective $1800 graphics card.

I went with the repair process and so far it's been 17 days since I sent it in with no clue on when it'll be sent back to me.

Honestly I wish I had just kept that bandaid fix as it worked fine afterwards. Here's the link for it:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121556-Strix-RTX-3080-Fan-vibration-issues-and-scratches-on-LED-bar/page3#post823046

Remember this experience the next time you buy hardware. I certainly will.

gawdsb
02-22-2021, 11:54 PM
See if the place you bought it from can source you a replacement because ASUS warranty process is a pain.

You can ask for an advanced RMA but I waited over 2 months with them never getting any units to send.

You can send it in which you have to fight for them to pay for shipping and they'll say "This is a one time courtesy". Yeah thanks ASUS for being such a pal that you'll pay for shipping on your defective $1800 graphics card.

I went with the repair process and so far it's been 17 days since I sent it in with no clue on when it'll be sent back to me.

Honestly I wish I had just kept that bandaid fix as it worked fine afterwards. Here's the link for it:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121556-Strix-RTX-3080-Fan-vibration-issues-and-scratches-on-LED-bar/page3#post823046

Remember this experience the next time you buy hardware. I certainly will.

Yea, tried to get Best Buy to take allow me to return or exchange they stated I had to do it through Asus... I have another GPU that I can use while this is being repaired, but I would rather just return it after seeing the hassle Asus is putting customers through for a now known issue that has occurred for many.

sigh... Guess I'll have to hassle them to pay for shipping at least, I can't stand the noise it makes otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

lLegendaary
02-23-2021, 12:24 AM
I would ignore vibration and focus on performance and functionality .
and use big case put it far away from your desk .
or under your desk you don't feel vibration .
I know guys nowadays so hard to find stock cards and people sending it back to MSI , ASUS , EVGA for Vibration ... i believe they will ignore it.

curthard89
02-25-2021, 02:55 PM
Hey guys,

Story with tl;dr, sent card back almost around 16th of January to retailer who deal with RMA for Asus, they sent it back to Asus, Asus offered them a refund for it (for unknown reasons they could not fix the card or just sold it on again? — who knows), my retailer offered me a refund, or to be number 1 on list of new cards when they come in (i also was allowed to get a refund if I sourced a card in the meantime). So i waited on the list. Today I received email from my retailer saying new cards have come in and i'll be receiving it tomorrow. I'll report back if this card is fully functionality.

So terrible experience, 6 or so weeks without a GPU.
Cheers*

curthard89
02-26-2021, 01:31 PM
I got the replacement today, and its completely messed up out of the box.

This is completely unacceptable, all the screws for the shroud are lose and falling out into the bag and box.

They have not even been tightened at all, its serious issue right now. I don't know if to laugh or cry. *I am officially done with Asus, my retailer have allowed me to swap to another 3090 of another brand which has no issues.

For video and higher res pics, see: https://we.tl/t-j0MiLpUpyc

gooper23
02-27-2021, 01:54 AM
I got the replacement today, and its completely messed up out of the box.

This is completely unacceptable, all the screws for the shroud are lose and falling out into the bag and box.

They have not even been tightened at all, its serious issue right now and takes the utter piss. I don't know if to laugh or cry. *I am officially done with Asus, my retailer have allowed me to swap to another 3090 of another brand which has no issues.

Oh my god that's horrible. That is totally unacceptable.

Does this card have the same serial that you sent in? I'm guessing they just replaced the cooler and returned it.

JronMasteR
02-27-2021, 10:18 AM
I got the replacement today, and its completely f****d out of the box.

They have not even been tightened at all, its serious issue right now and takes the utter piss. I don't know if to laugh or cry. *I am officially done with Asus, my retailer have allowed me to swap to another 3090 of another brand which has no issues.

What the heck is going on with ASUS? This is completely unacceptable! How can anyone ship a GPU in that condition?
Well, I will also never buy any ASUS product again

curthard89
02-27-2021, 11:19 AM
Oh my god that's horrible. That is totally unacceptable.

Does this card have the same serial that you sent in? I'm guessing they just replaced the cooler and returned it.

I never got my original card back, Asus never received it, the middle man in the UK is probably doing something fishy and reselling them on, so they gave my retailer the refund for it, so my retailer sent me that brand new card instead when the next batch came in.

So that was a brand new card, from factory. Going straight back, luckily my retailer is awesome and the Asus account manager is looking into it and also offered me a an even better card as a direct swap as this is completely unacceptable.*

Im officially done with Asus GPU's, I use a few other products of theirs, but these Strix cards are just an utter shambles. *

gooper23
03-01-2021, 04:10 AM
I never got my original card back, Asus never received it, the middle man in the UK is probably doing something fishy and reselling them on, so they gave my retailer the refund for it, so my retailer sent me that brand new card instead when the next batch came in.

So that was a brand new card, from factory. Going straight back, luckily my retailer is awesome and the Asus account manager is looking into it and also offered me a an even better card as a direct swap as this is completely unacceptable.Â*

Im officially done with Asus GPU's, I use a few other products of theirs, but these Strix cards are just an utter shambles. Â*

Which model is considered an "even better card?" Hopefully they do you right and shower you with extras.

knowran
03-02-2021, 12:02 AM
My RMA replacement arrived today. The replacement card looks great cosmetically. It looks new with plastic covering the shroud, lightbar, etc. I'll put it in my system to check out how it runs. So far I am happy.

Yopis
03-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Look how easy it was for this guy. We deseved this.

https://youtu.be/lSb_4RB2nbw

curthard89
03-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Which model is considered an "even better card?" Hopefully they do you right and shower you with extras.

They offered me a MSI Suprim X 3090, so far no issues what so ever, even runs about 8-10deg cooler under load in certain titles. Runs higher clocks because of it. :-)

MrHDR
03-07-2021, 01:36 PM
i got my replacement from the retailer i bought it from, and my new card also has the same issue, it's just not as bad, i should be getting my second replacement next week, it's not really ideal considering the card costs over 2800 usd in Norway.

gooper23
03-09-2021, 12:35 AM
ASUS couldn't process my advance RMA for MONTHS because they lacked the inventory to do so.

I eventually sent my card to them for repair and all they did was just replace the card. It also took TWO WEEKS to replace the card and ship it back out. What happened to lack of inventory?

Good luck to everyone else on their RMA experience.

Done with ASUS.

olearyd7
03-10-2021, 06:36 PM
Same problem with my strix, along with microstutter which is a whole other issue.

Contacted ASUS CS to explain my story before I found these threads and I was told that the noise in the video I sent was "mouse clicking or coil whine" and that I was imagining it basically!

Contacted them again after seeing this and they said I can RMA the card through the retailer Amazon.it because they do not deal directly (or at all in my opinion) with these issues. Contacted amazon, who told me that they are unable to do this and all they can do is refund because ASUS are a seperate company and that it makes no sense to send to Amazon, to then send to ASUS which I agree with....so who is having me on?

So as it stands both companies are telling me to sort it with the other. I have messaged Blake@ROG also and waiting on a reply since Sunday.

First time buying an ROG product and was excited to...it will certainly be my last. Completely left out in the cold with this and had opportunities to buy other cards but I wanted to go with top quality components. Back to Aorus next time

JronMasteR
03-10-2021, 09:01 PM
The quality of ASUS products is good, its just the customer support that is horrible. Look at this thread and the statements from them... basically nothing...
But this has been the case for many years.

olearyd7
03-11-2021, 02:28 AM
The quality of ASUS products is good, its just the customer support that is horrible. Look at this thread and the statements from them... basically nothing...
But this has been the case for many years.

I love the performance, the temps are good and the quality of the product is almost great. But to let something like this out of the factory and do nothing about it afterwards is a complete joke.

No matter how good the product is, if they continue like this why are people still supporting them. Would you buy another car from a dealership if something is broken from day one and they basically ignore you...Amazon is the size it is because they put the customer first. ASUS should take notes

MrHDR
03-11-2021, 04:29 PM
My third 3090 Strix OC card just arrived (second replacement), this one is even worse, what the hell.

olearyd7
03-11-2021, 06:22 PM
My third 3090 Strix OC card just arrived (second replacement), this one is even worse, what the hell.

Newer batches aren't any better so by the looks of it. At least they've replaced your card I guess...my only option is a refund by all accounts. I only hope I snag another brand card and will enjoy refunding it then

JronMasteR
03-11-2021, 06:53 PM
I love the performance, the temps are good and the quality of the product is almost great. But to let something like this out of the factory and do nothing about it afterwards is a complete joke.

No matter how good the product is, if they continue like this why are people still supporting them. Would you buy another car from a dealership if something is broken from day one and they basically ignore you...Amazon is the size it is because they put the customer first. ASUS should take notes

Completely agree with you. They should not replace the cards until they have a fix for this issue. A statement like "we are aware of this issue and will let you know once we have a fix, thank you for your patience".
Then, once they have a fix, they should let the customer choose to replace for example the heatsink themselves or sending the card in for a fix.

curthard89
03-12-2021, 10:19 AM
Im honestly so happy to get a MSI Suprim X 3090 as a replacement, no issues what so ever, its cooler, runs quieter and can finally play games without worrying about some buzzing that all eventually occur. It also gets higher clocks than the Strix OC at a much lower voltage (out of the box).

Its sad to hear the experiences people have the Strix cards, they look really nice but QC is just terrible, myself, getting 2 cards that are screwed, and that one from the other day where the shroud was hanging off.

And seeing MrHDR with 3 defective cards. It's just not good enough, only people that seem to get good cards are reviewers who get priority over us getting what we paid for.

I am seeing people with 3080's and 3070's also with the same issue, 3070's less due to not reaching those temps anyway due to the TDP so fans never ramp up that high.*

MrHDR
03-15-2021, 03:23 AM
Im honestly so happy to get a MSI Suprim X 3090 as a replacement, no issues what so ever, its cooler, runs quieter and can finally play games without worrying about some buzzing that all eventually occur. It also gets higher clocks than the Strix OC at a much lower voltage (out of the box).

Its sad to hear the experiences people have the Strix cards, they look really nice but QC is just terrible, myself, getting 2 cards that are screwed, and that one from the other day where the shroud was hanging off.

And seeing MrHDR with 3 defective cards. It's just not good enough, only people that seem to get good cards are reviewers who get priority over us getting what we paid for.

I am seeing people with 3080's and 3070's also with the same issue, 3070's less due to not reaching those temps anyway due to the TDP so fans never ramp up that high.*

I'm just considering asking the retailer i got mine from for a Suprim X too, i've only had problems with these Strix 3090 since late last year, it's a real shame because i really like Strix products.

curthard89
03-15-2021, 09:59 AM
I'm just considering asking the retailer i got mine from for a Suprim X too, i've only had problems with these Strix 3090 since late last year, it's a real shame because i really like Strix products.

I can highly recommend it, it runs cooler, not as noisy, i've not seen the GPU hit 70deg yet (same aggressive fan curve, runs around 70% fan at 67deg(ish). Comes with a sag holder upper too :-).

It has a lower power limit, 450w is the max it can go (with the slider maxed), but it still reaches higher clocks than the Strix as it's not getting dropped down due to thermals. Averaging around 2010mhz on the core.

MrHDR
03-16-2021, 06:32 AM
I can highly recommend it, it runs cooler, not as noisy, i've not seen the GPU hit 70deg yet (same aggressive fan curve, runs around 70% fan at 67deg(ish). Comes with a sag holder upper too :-).

It has a lower power limit, 450w is the max it can go (with the slider maxed), but it still reaches higher clocks than the Strix as it's not getting dropped down due to thermals. Averaging around 2010mhz on the core.

Ended up requesting one, hopefully i won't have to deal with all these issues anymore.

Eismc2a
03-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Don't send your card in for RMA, you will not get your card back from Asus.....I have followed the advice of Blake and did that about a month ago now. Today I got the information that Asus can't repair my card and I can either get a refund or wait at the end of the line for a new one.....really great this....I am not sure what Asus is doing here or if they are trying to make extra profit off the inflated prices but this is not customer friendly at all.

Here is a video of my issue: https://youtu.be/Kpg6-co4JK4 . I am sure Asus is capable of swapping a fan.....

@Blake, could you comment on this. I am not happy at all.

Update: My seller agreed to place me first in line luckily. They also told me that 99% of the cards with this very same issue are refunded by Asus and not repaired.

sookainian
03-17-2021, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone, I have had an Asus Rog Strix 3090 OC for about a month, and I wanted to share my experience, three weeks after having it the fan closest to the video connections started making noise, the same thing happens to other users From this forum, I have contacted Asus Spain I told them my case and I am still waiting for them to tell me something; As I consider myself a knowledgeable user and given my situation, I examined the card carefully and noticed that the fan in some area was very close to the card housing, without actually touching, I disassembled the card, accessed the fans that are fixed with two screws and the fan that made noise by loosening the two screws I put it more in the center, take advantage of it and cleaned the thermal paste and reapplied it, I mounted the card and I have been more than a week without any noise. I share my experience because it solved the problem for me. A greeting.

Sorry i dont really understand... what you did to solve the issue ?

Is it because the screw holding the fan is loose and need to be tighten ?

curthard89
03-17-2021, 10:17 PM
Ended up requesting one, hopefully i won't have to deal with all these issues anymore.

Sweet! Hope you get one soon, i'm a week or so into owning this one now, absolutely zero issues what so ever. It just works, thing is built like a barn door*

curthard89
03-17-2021, 10:19 PM
Don't send your card in for RMA, you will not get your card back from Asus.....I have followed the advice of Blake and did that about a month ago now. Today I got the information that Asus can't repair my card and I can either get a refund or wait at the end of the line for a new one.....really great this....I am not sure what Asus is doing here or if they are trying to make extra profit off the inflated prices but this is not customer friendly at all.

Here is a video of my issue: https://youtu.be/Kpg6-co4JK4 . I am sure Asus is capable of swapping a fan.....

@Blake, could you comment on this. I am not happy at all.

Update: My seller agreed to place me first in line luckily. They also told me that 99% of the cards with this very same issue are refunded by Asus and not repaired.

Did you send via retailer or direct to Asus?

Its probably not the fan but the same issue we all have, if you rest your finger on the shroud, does it go away?*

Eismc2a
03-18-2021, 07:04 AM
Did you send via retailer or direct to Asus?

Its probably not the fan but the same issue we all have, if you rest your finger on the shroud, does it go away?Â*

I did send it trough my retailer.

I tried pushing on the shroud but that didn't do anything for me. The sound was definitely coming from the left most fan at a certain rpm. Regardless of what the issue might be one would expect that Asus would have pinpointed the issue by now and have a solution.

sookainian
03-18-2021, 05:57 PM
I did send it trough my retailer.

I tried pushing on the shroud but that didn't do anything for me. The sound was definitely coming from the left most fan at a certain rpm. Regardless of what the issue might be one would expect that Asus would have pinpointed the issue by now and have a solution.

I also having the same issue. Today i took the card out, give the fan a few good hard pull upwards and put back everything,

So far no rattling sound... finger cross....

Anyone want to give it a try to see whether this method solve it for you too ?

sookainian
03-24-2021, 04:39 AM
I also having the same issue. Today i took the card out, give the fan a few good hard pull upwards and put back everything,

So far no rattling sound... finger cross....

Anyone want to give it a try to see whether this method solve it for you too ?

So did anyone tried my method ?

As so far it seems to solve for me... the rattling sound haven't come back until today

MkXal
04-01-2021, 03:17 PM
Fresh new card, same issue..

The center fan, at specific speed, do a rattling noise like the blades are touching something but it doesn't seem to be the case :s
Pressing on the shroud or another part of the card do noting. Only pressing the center part of the fan in the upper right direction stop the sound (pressing in the lower left direction increase the rattling noise) but I don't want to keep my hand in my PC case :D

Anyway, as many of you, I don't want to RMA. Do you think it's possible to change only the fans (or at least one fan) on this card ?
I tried to find some fans with similar mount base but I find nothing.

And pushing, pulling, putting something befind the fan mount (as saw here on a previous page), etc did nothing for me.

JronMasteR
04-07-2021, 05:41 AM
I just bought a vertical GPU mount for my 3090 and all issues are gone. Also the system overall runs much cooler.
Definitely has to do with the sag of the GPU. I think the fan shroud is to close to the fins, then when the cards bends a bit, the rattle starts.
They need to modify their cooler to fix this issue long term. You could also, probably, just put some foam between the fan shroud and the heatsink.

For my O11 dynamic I bought the phanteks mount, works great.

davesman_
04-08-2021, 09:50 PM
So did anyone tried my method ?
As so far it seems to solve for me... the rattling sound haven't come back until today
I have the same rattling issue with the center fan. I've tried to force stop it, pull it out & in. It seems it helps for a few moments. But the rattle sound returns. I think the finstack is too close to the fans / shroud.

LukaMrk
04-10-2021, 07:55 PM
Damn it... got my 2nd card not too long ago and the rattle's back ladies and gentlemen! What do you guys think, is this the same noise you're hearing: https://streamable.com/y8ll68 ? Thanks. Also, should I worry about it/could it damage the card if left untouched? I'm fine with it, just super anxious.

davesman_
04-10-2021, 10:08 PM
Seems like "unresolvable" issue. Or unresolvable by ASUS? I've got this reply:
Please kindly send your card to repair.
Your case has been recorded.
But from what I can read here it is not a good idea. I do not want another card. My silicon is very very good. And even the new cards have the same issue? ASUS should work this out and present some self-repair kit. Because this issue is likely to be present in every STRIX with this type of cooler... 3090, 3080, 3070, 6800, ... I can't imagine situation everyone RMAs it.

The baddest thing is ... miners do not care about rattling. ASUS can take our cards and sell them to miners.

Eismc2a
04-12-2021, 04:02 PM
That is "if" you get an new card. I have send mine in for repair and they haven't send it back instead they provided a refund.......I have been without a card for over 3 months now as my seller has not received new stock and Asus is doing noting to support. I am soo pissed now that I have listened to Blake and send my card in for RMA.

Seems like "unresolvable" issue. Or unresolvable by ASUS? I've got this reply:
But from what I can read here it is not a good idea. I do not want another card. My silicon is very very good. And even the new cards have the same issue? ASUS should work this out and present some self-repair kit. Because this issue is likely to be present in every STRIX with this type of cooler... 3090, 3080, 3070, 6800, ... I can't imagine situation everyone RMAs it.

The baddest thing is ... miners do not care about rattling. ASUS can take our cards and sell them to miners.

JronMasteR
04-13-2021, 10:14 AM
That is "if" you get an new card. I have send mine in for repair and they haven't send it back instead they provided a refund.......I have been without a card for over 3 months now as my seller has not received new stock and Asus is doing noting to support. I am soo pissed now that I have listened to Blake and send my card in for RMA.

Yeah its not a good idea to rma your card. They do not have stock and ASUS does not have a fix for this problem.
Just wait until they offer a fix or have stock available.
I fixed mine by buying a vertical mount. Issues gone completely.
Before, I just had the fans running up to max speed just before the rattle starts, reduced the power limit a bit to keep temps in check.
Otherwise, you can disassemble the cooler and try to fix the issue yourself.

davesman_
04-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Blake wrote: Please kindly send your card to repair.
I thought repair means repairing the specific (mine) card and then sending the same card back. I will of course not undergo the standard RMA process which could end with a card replacement or even refund. I will try to contact local ASUS Czech to see whether ASUS here in Czech Republic is aware of this issue (and the possibilities they can offer).

Eismc2a
04-13-2021, 07:21 PM
Blake wrote: Please kindly send your card to repair.
I thought repair means repairing the specific (mine) card and then sending the same card back. I will of course not undergo the standard RMA process which could end with a card replacement or even refund. I will try to contact local ASUS Czech to see whether ASUS here in Czech Republic is aware of this issue (and the possibilities they can offer).

What I understood from my retailer is that almost 99% of the time Asus refunds the card instead of repair. Also they haven't had any stock of the strix models for the past 3 months. Now even their German website (I am in the Netherlands) has taken the card off their website. I am guessing that we are just the tip of the iceberg when looking at this issue. Again according to my retailer, there have been a lot of RMA's recently for this model. I would have bought another brand only if the prices stayed the same. Here in the Netherlands every 3090 is around 800 euros more expensive compared to 3 months ago.

Blake@ROG
04-14-2021, 03:42 AM
Hi EU users,
Sorry for the confusion. due to the sales condition and local regulation, things are more complicated for you.
Some of you can not send the device to repair yourself, and must go through seller.
And for some sellers, they do not send the product to repair one by one, or repair might they much longer as they expected,
so they provide replacement or refund to you instead.
Or even in some region, they don't do repair, only refund.
Everyone is facing different condition.
Seems like that's the issue for you now. I'm really sorry about this.
All bad cards will go to our factory for centralized repair, I recorded your case to make sure there is enough parts to repair.
If you have other concern regarding replacement, refund or repair, please PM me the detail.
Your feedback have been reported for further improvement.
Thank you.

Eismc2a
04-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Hi EU users,
Sorry for the confusion. due to the sales condition and local regulation, things are more complicated for you.
Some of you can not send the device to repair yourself, and must go through seller.
And for some sellers, they do not send the product to repair one by one, or repair might they much longer as they expected,
All bad cards will go to our factory for centralized repair, I recorded your case to make sure there is enough parts to repair.
If you have other concern regarding replacement, refund or repair, please PM me the detail.
Thank you.

Thank you for your message Blake but what you are saying just does not add up. You are putting the blame on the sellers instead of Asus witch is not the full picture. My seller for instance sends out repairs to Asus every week, at least so they told me and sending bulks instead of one by one sounds more than logical, specially when there are a lot of defective GPU's
Asus only provides a refund to the seller instead of actually repairing the cards. The seller doesn't have any replacements and also faces high amount of backorders. The only solution for the customer now is to again wait back in line for a new card or get an refund. The latter is not a solution at all in this current market. Just to give you an example: I bought my card for 2099 euros a couple months ago, now the same card or a similar one is sold for 3000 euros. So if I take the refund I would have to pay 900 euros above the already expensive price to get another card. This is not okay and not customer friendly on any side. You are forced as a customer to wait again for months on end. I am without an GPU for more than 3 months now and I am sure Asus has already repaired my card by now and has sold it again but now for a higher price. The only loser here is the customer and Asus doesn't seem to care at all.

davesman_
04-15-2021, 08:09 AM
Hi EU users,

I have contacted ASUS Czech and got this reply from ASUS EMEA service center: "The only way is to RMA the card through the seller."
That means RMA it by the law of Czech Republic. That means refund if they cannot make it within 30 days. There is no way to affect it. Seller can choose repair, replacement, refund.
This all is just an ASUS bureaucracy or whatever. This IS NOT local regulation of Czech Republic / EU. There is no such a law here that forbids RMAing goods in authorized service centers. I RMAed cell phones several times and always through authorized service centers of the particular brand. It is faster. So ASUS can repair directly. Even in EU (CZ). But ASUS's own policy denies it.

I've go 11th rank in 3D Mark Port Royal amongst all 3090 + Ryzen 3700X results. Do not want different card. I did have a EVGA's 3090 FTW3 ULTRA before but my STRIX clocks about 140 MHz higher in average. But must say that EVGA's customer support was 1000% better.

kinnunentuomas
04-15-2021, 10:24 AM
I have a Strix 3070 with this same issue, mine manifests with the left most fan when fan speeds are :

< 40% which produces a rattling sound every two seconds or so
> 65% which produces a constant rattling sound

Pressing down on any point of the shroud doesn't help, but tilting the whole case 45 degrees or just putting it on it's side makes the card completely silent. Aside from the fan noise obviously. So in my case a horizontal mount would probably help but my case doesn't allow this so I can't try.

I did contact Asus, but as I'm in the EU they want me to send it to the reseller who directly told me almost all RMA's result in refunds so feck that as the card works fine, it's just shoddily put together. I'm mitigating the issue with a fan profile which skips the problematic ranges and will probably open the card at some point to see what's up. I did find a forum post on some other forum where a gentleman opened his card to find the fan mounting screws were almost all not tightened completely and after doing that the card worked completely silently. A sample size of one, I know, but might as give it a shot.

sookainian
04-16-2021, 06:39 AM
I have a Strix 3070 with this same issue, mine manifests with the left most fan when fan speeds are :

< 40% which produces a rattling sound every two seconds or so
> 65% which produces a constant rattling sound

Pressing down on any point of the shroud doesn't help, but tilting the whole case 45 degrees or just putting it on it's side makes the card completely silent. Aside from the fan noise obviously. So in my case a horizontal mount would probably help but my case doesn't allow this so I can't try.

I did contact Asus, but as I'm in the EU they want me to send it to the reseller who directly told me almost all RMA's result in refunds so feck that as the card works fine, it's just shoddily put together. I'm mitigating the issue with a fan profile which skips the problematic ranges and will probably open the card at some point to see what's up. I did find a forum post on some other forum where a gentleman opened his card to find the fan mounting screws were almost all not tightened completely and after doing that the card worked completely silently. A sample size of one, I know, but might as give it a shot.

Which forum you saw from regarding the fan screw ?

Is there a step by step guide how do i open up to tighten it ?

kinnunentuomas
04-18-2021, 06:01 PM
Which forum you saw from regarding the fan screw ?

Is there a step by step guide how do i open up to tighten it ?

I couldn't find the link again, but there were no instructions on disassembly. You can probably find those elsewhere, probably just keep removing screws until stuff comes apart while minding the cable connectors.

Edit: Found it, there were other issues as well and some steps documented, good read: https://www.overclock.net/threads/strix-3080-fan-rattle.1777594/

Eismc2a
04-21-2021, 11:30 AM
Hi EU users,
Thank you.

I would advice anyone in the EU to check their rights as a consumer. I have been in contact with the Dutch consumer law department and have explained my situation. In my case Asus only took 1 week to say that they could not repair my card (witch is some nonsense excuse we all can agree on here) and refunded it to the seller knowing that the prices have gone up significantly and they would make extra profit reselling the card instead of providing the customer service deserved and repair the card. Or any other solution at all. They agreed that this sounds really weird and have started an investigation and if this leads to what I suspect Asus is doing then they would have some explanation to do. I would advice anyone that has send their card in for RMA and has got an silly excuse that they could not repair this to look up their rights and take action according to the law in their country.

olearyd7
04-26-2021, 12:30 PM
I would advice anyone in the EU to check their rights as a consumer. I have been in contact with the Dutch consumer law department and have explained my situation. In my case Asus only took 1 week to say that they could not repair my card (witch is some nonsense excuse we all can agree on here) and refunded it to the seller knowing that the prices have gone up significantly and they would make extra profit reselling the card instead of providing the customer service deserved and repair the card. Or any other solution at all. They agreed that this sounds really weird and have started an investigation and if this leads to what I suspect Asus is doing then they would have some explanation to do. I would advice anyone that has send their card in for RMA and has got an silly excuse that they could not repair this to look up their rights and take action according to the law in their country.

Let me know how this goes for you. My situation is I have been advised to send card to Czech repair shop at my own cost. Have been assured card is fixable re: fan vibration, but I have a stuter issue also and afraid of a refund. Surely Asus as a company should cover postage costs due to poor quality control and a widespread issue, and should have a selection of cards reserved for repair-failed replacements.

Blake@ROG
04-27-2021, 05:50 AM

Hello Eismc2a,
May you share the purchase invoice with me in PM and I will consult with Sales team simultaneously.
I have reported your opinion and I hope that there is other solution for you.
Thank you.

Brume
04-28-2021, 08:21 PM
Hello Eismc2a,
May you share the purchase invoice with me in PM and I will consult with Sales team simultaneously.
Thank you.

Hi Blake,
I've the exact same issue with my ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3090 O24G GAMING.
I bought it in January but was only able to complete my build last week...
And then I heard this "rattling" sound.
I contacted my reseller (LDLC, France) but they can do nothing about it except allow me to return the card (I sent them a video clearly showing the issue) but they were unable to tell me what would be the next step...
Repair, refund, replace ????
I bought this RTX 3090 for 2000€.
Now the price is 2700€ with no availability btw.
So there si no good option but waiting.
Could you help ?
Many thanx

funk3r
04-29-2021, 09:58 PM
I couldn't find the link again, but there were no instructions on disassembly. You can probably find those elsewhere, probably just keep removing screws until stuff comes apart while minding the cable connectors.

Edit: Found it, there were other issues as well and some steps documented, good read: https://www.overclock.net/threads/strix-3080-fan-rattle.1777594/

So I just opened up my 3090OC to re-paste it and install new thermal pads. I also figured, I'll crack the shroud apart per the post above. I tightened all the screws down, re-positioned the cable, and now my vibration is eliminated. pretty easy DYI for anyone who wants to check it out. I ran the card through 5% increment fan speeds from 30%-100% and the sound has been eliminated.

Brume
05-01-2021, 09:49 AM
So I just opened up my 3090OC to re-paste it and install new thermal pads. I also figured, I'll crack the shroud apart per the post above. I tightened all the screws down, re-positioned the cable, and now my vibration is eliminated. pretty easy DYI for anyone who wants to check it out. I ran the card through 5% increment fan speeds from 30%-100% and the sound has been eliminated.

I'll give this a try...
My RTX3090 does this rattling noise and it's probably caused by the very same issue: loose fan screws and tape.

Do I have to remove all the screws on both sides to fix the noise (loose screws and tape brushing) or only the screws on the fans side?
I'd like to minimize the dismount as much as possible.
I don't want to change the thermal pad/paste...
Just fix the noise :)

funk3r
05-01-2021, 09:44 PM
I'll give this a try...
My RTX3090 does this rattling noise and it's probably caused by the very same issue: loose fan screws and tape.

Do I have to remove all the screws on both sides to fix the noise (loose screws and tape brushing) or only the screws on the fans side?
I'd like to minimize the dismount as much as possible.
I don't want to change the thermal pad/paste...
Just fix the noise :)

I used this reddit post as a guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/mo6s9o/3090_strix_teardown_pad_mod_15c/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

unfortunately, if you do this mod, you'll have to re-paste the card at the minimum. If the thermal pads are still useable, then you can just slap them back on, but the paste will have to redone before you put it back together. I'm also sure this may void warranty?

Honestly, if you're going through the process of fixing the fan, you may as well re-paste it. My temps are great after the re-paste and I'm able to get a bit better performance with the OC.

Brume
05-02-2021, 09:47 PM
I used this reddit post as a guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/mo6s9o/3090_strix_teardown_pad_mod_15c/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

unfortunately, if you do this mod, you'll have to re-paste the card at the minimum. If the thermal pads are still useable, then you can just slap them back on, but the paste will have to redone before you put it back together. I'm also sure this may void warranty?

Honestly, if you're going through the process of fixing the fan, you may as well re-paste it. My temps are great after the re-paste and I'm able to get a bit better performance with the OC.

I don't want to re-paste, just want to fix the fan noise...
My temps are already quite good (65°C full load)...
Is it easy to just access the fan screws and wrongly positionned tape ?

Thank you.

KR

davesman_
05-03-2021, 04:43 AM
Blake@ROG wrote that they are trying to find another solution for me. For an EU customer. Czech customer. So I hope they could possibly make some DIY kit / video or permit to return the card directly to ASUS for repair.
If it has something to do with loose screews then it cannot be so tricky to repair. I think "Warranty Void If removed" sticker is now the main problem for DIY :)

Eismc2a
05-05-2021, 09:59 AM
Hello Eismc2a,
Thank you.

So just for everyone's information. Blake couldn't do anything for me as I was afraid of. Here is his reply:

Hello Eismc2a,
Well...it's the same as I sated in the public thread.
In some region, refund are provided in the first place.
This kind of method has been ongoing for years, and customers prefer this way as it is a lot more efficient.
But due to lack of stock this 2 years, people like you do not want refund anymore.
You may contact the seller to see if they can give the repaired card back to you and cancel your oder.
Thank you.

He is confirming here that Asus does not repair but refund the cards, still he is telling people to RMA their card. Again not according to the European consumer law. I contacted my seller and they have not received my repaired card .....probably sold to someone else for a higher price.

Way™
05-05-2021, 01:08 PM
So just for everyone's information. Blake couldn't do anything for me as I was afraid of. Here is his reply:

Hello Eismc2a,
This kind of method has been ongoing for years, and customers prefer this way as it is a lot more efficient.
But due to lack of stock this 2 years, people like you do not want refund anymore.
You may contact the seller to see if they can give the repaired card back to you and cancel your oder.
Thank you.

He is confirming here that Asus does not repair but refund the cards, still he is telling people to RMA their card. Again not according to the European consumer law. I contacted my seller and they have not received my repaired card .....probably sold to someone else for a higher price.

Extremely disappointed with the level of support from ASUS on their products. I've been a loyal ASUS customer for many years without issues, but now struggling with my 3090 has made me reconsider them as a brand for future builds .

olearyd7
05-10-2021, 12:43 PM

Hello Eismc2a,
Thank you.

Very worrying. I have been asked to RMA and prepare my card for shipping but I am waiting on a guarantee that I will not be refunded first. Too afraid after hearing your story. I hope you get sorted in some way.

Eismc2a
05-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Very worrying. I have been asked to RMA and prepare my card for shipping but I am waiting on a guarantee that I will not be refunded first. Too afraid after hearing your story. I hope you get sorted in some way.

I would not RMA your card as you will be refunded instead. Sadly Blake from Asus informed me that he cant help me and my seller has not received any stock in the past 2 months. I am still waiting for an replacement with no delivery date in sight......

olearyd7
05-20-2021, 08:23 PM
I would not RMA your card as you will be refunded instead. Sadly Blake from Asus informed me that he cant help me and my seller has not received any stock in the past 2 months. I am still waiting for an replacement with no delivery date in sight......

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about it but I have a stutter issue that Nvidia and myself believe to be an issue due to the card also so feel like I have no other choice. Blake has assured me that a refund is not possible due to my complicated case, so having this in writing is some assurance, just in case I have to go the legal route. Hearing your story is very worrying though...

Eismc2a
05-24-2021, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about it but I have a stutter issue that Nvidia and myself believe to be an issue due to the card also so feel like I have no other choice. Blake has assured me that a refund is not possible due to my complicated case, so having this in writing is some assurance, just in case I have to go the legal route. Hearing your story is very worrying though...

I got the same confirmation from Blake but what did they do........refunded the card.

olearyd7
05-24-2021, 11:44 PM
I got the same confirmation from Blake but what did they do........refunded the card.

Damn....Thanks for letting me know. You've just changed my mind on RMA til stock gets better.

JronMasteR
06-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Also took mine apart. All the screws and from the cooler to the shroud were loose. I tightened them.

And the most impressive thing... my Hot Spot temperature was 105C when the gpu temp was 72C.
Now after repasting, the Hot Spot temp is down 10-15C.

Never going to buy an ASUS GPU again

olearyd7
06-14-2021, 07:53 PM
Also took mine apart. All the screws and from the cooler to the shroud were loose. I tightened them.

And the most impressive thing... my Hot Spot temperature was 105°C when the gpu temp was 72°C.
Now after repasting, the Hot Spot temp is down 10-15°C.

Never going to buy an ASUS GPU again

Shame that voids the warranty but glad you solved your issue. I'd love to know if ASUS improved their quality control for the TI release. Like you, never buying an ASUS GPU again

JronMasteR
06-16-2021, 03:59 PM
Shame that voids the warranty but glad you solved your issue. I'd love to know if ASUS improved their quality control for the TI release. Like you, never buying an ASUS GPU again

I don't think it voids the warranty. The card just comes with a tamper sticker but this does not mean that you are not allowed to repaste it.
It would be a complete joke...
GPU's need to be cleaned and maintained. I always repaste every GPU I buy.