PDA

View Full Version : DCII GTX 580 issues

natexseitz
03-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Ok, so I bought this card slightly used and was told it had been tested and was working just fine. When I get the card I installed it and right away it started artifacting. White dashes all over the screen. During POST, at the Windows splash screen, you name it. I sent the card off to ASUS for RMA repair. After a week I got the card back, installed it, and STILL! SAME THING! No idea what's wrong. It's installed on a Crosshair V Formula board and is being powered by a Corsair AX 850. Initially the only power I had plugged into the board was the 24 pin and 8 pin auxilary. Now I have ALL the auxilary power connectors plugged in. 8, 4, and molex. STILL NOTHING. What am I missing? PLEASE HELP!!!

xeromist
03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
You may want to try another connector on the card and a different cable.

natexseitz
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
You may want to try another connector on the card and a different cable.

I've tried the card in every PCI-e slot on the board as well as diffrent power cables in diffrent parts of the PSU. Other video cards I had laying around work, just not this one. Any ideas?

xeromist
03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
I mean video cable. Use DVI instead of HDMI or vice versa.

natexseitz
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
I mean video cable. Use DVI instead of HDMI or vice versa.

Have tried both DVI, HDMI, nd display port.

xeromist
03-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't know then. Perhaps try another display if you have one available but it certainly looks to be the card. Did the RMA provide any feedback on whether something was done or no trouble was found?

Kipper
03-31-2012, 04:05 AM
I no longer have the board or the card but I did use them when I reviewed the CH5 here on the forum.

I had the same problem, exactly the same.

I removed the 580 thinking the card was dead or dieing and put a 560Ti on the board and everything worked great.

I put the 580 on another system and it worked perfect there so I tried it again on the CH5 after the 560Ti was up and running and dammed if the 580 worked perfect then.

I just chalked it up to gremlins and ghosts but maybe there is a bug after all.

natexseitz
03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Figured it out, and its ridiculous. Something about the exspansion slots on this board and the weight of this card don't mesh. The card is so heavy that it sags enough to where the contacts on the card dont make a complete connection in the PCI-e slot. If I physically supported the card and held it up it worked fine. Ended up having the zip tie the PCI-e power cables going the card to one of the hoses on my H100 to prop it up and get it to work. ABSURD!