PDA

View Full Version : High Temperature help

Crimsonsglory
03-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi guys, i recently purchase a G74SX RH-71. Theres alttile problem with the system and i send it to Asus for repair. I was told that they change the motherboard for me.

Ok heres the problem. On my original motherboard i ran 3Dmark 11 on original Gpu settings 775/1550, my max Gpu temp would be around 60+ and on 850/1700 it would hit like 71-73 - at the end of the test.

After they "replace" the motherboard on 775/1550 (no overlocking done) temp would go into mid 80s. At 850/1700 highest temp was 93.

Did i get a recon or faulty mobo? should i go back to Asus ? Any clue? =/

Ps: i did a clean windows install with all updated drivers (296.10) with only Msiafterburner and 3Dmark11

Crimsonsglory
04-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Anyone pls? :(

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 02:49 AM
What kind of temps do you get during normal use....not when you're running tests like 3DMark?

fostert
04-01-2012, 02:58 AM
If ASUS replaced the mainboard for you then they did a repasting of the CPU and GPU heatsink/IHS interface. Most thermal pastes have a cure time (some as long as 200 hours of "normal" use) during which your temps will drop by a few degrees. I would say wait a bit and see how things settle out after some temperature cycling (hot,cool,hot,cool), but the +20C diff seems mighty large, and I doubt you'll get back to the temps you had previously just by waiting for the paste to cure, but they will drop some.

Crimsonsglory
04-01-2012, 03:20 AM
regular use , surfing net and stuff my temp is between 53-56.

Symho
04-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi guys, i recently purchase a G74SX RH-71. Theres alttile problem with the system and i send it to Asus for repair. I was told that they change the motherboard for me.

Ok heres the problem. On my original motherboard i ran 3Dmark 11 on original Gpu settings 775/1550, my max Gpu temp would be around 60+ and on 850/1700 it would hit like 71-73 - at the end of the test.

After they "replace" the motherboard on 775/1550 (no overlocking done) temp would go into mid 80s. At 850/1700 highest temp was 93.

Did i get a recon or faulty mobo? should i go back to Asus ? Any clue? =/

Ps: i did a clean windows install with all updated drivers (296.10) with only Msiafterburner and 3Dmark11

Here the problems... try to reinstall Asus's certificate drivers for the GPU and remove the msi software... let know us!

Crimsonsglory
04-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Actually i think you misunderstood. I did a clean install before i send it to Asus for repair. Its the same Hdd and settings before and after.

Symho
04-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Actually i think you misunderstood. I did a clean install before i send it to Asus for repair. Its the same Hdd and settings before and after.

Sorry, but do you haven't write that you install a Nvidia driver? And MSI afterburner? I have understand this installations after repair of Asus. If that is it you have to do what i write in the post n. 6. If you want...

Symb
04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Hmmm, strange... Because I can't hit my GPU even close to 70 celsius with settings 910/1750. I think the max has been around 65.
I'd say they screwed something up at the RMA, with reattaching and pasting the GPU.

Crimsonsglory
04-01-2012, 07:05 PM
so i should go back to Asus and highlight to them the situation? Just did another 3dmark 11 test and max temp was 92degrees. its way higher then before they change the mobo ( low 70s )

BrodyBoy
04-01-2012, 07:12 PM
so i should go back to Asus and highlight to them the situation? Just did another 3dmark 11 test and max temp was 92degrees. its way higher then before they change the mobo ( low 70s )
Allowing for fostert's advice to give the thermal paste time to cure.....it does still seem to be running awfully warm.

It's possible that the tech who assembled it may have done a sloppy/bad job pasting the CPU on the new M/B. :( I would contact the service center and tell them that it's running hot since the repair. I suspect they may ask you to send it in again for re-pasting.

(Is it only the CPU that runs hot? Not the GPU?)

Crimsonsglory
04-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Allowing for fostert's advice to give the thermal paste time to cure.....it does still seem to be running awfully warm.

It's possible that the tech who assembled it may have done a sloppy/bad job pasting the CPU on the new M/B. :( I would contact the service center and tell them that it's running hot since the repair. I suspect they may ask you to send it in again for re-pasting.

(Is it only the CPU that runs hot? Not the GPU?)

Eh, Its the GPU thats overheating not the CPU :D
Correct me if im wrong but from what i heard is the the GPU is build into the mobo ?

fostert
04-02-2012, 04:14 AM

The most common sloppiness I see over and over again from factory assemblies is *too much* thermal paste. Every new desktop mainboard, graphics card, etc I get the first thing I do is pull the heatsinks off the chipsets, GPUs, and always find a thick oozing layer of paste thats obviously been dropped on in a hurry as a glob with little knowledge of how thermal energy transfer works. I tint and repaste everything with an ultrathin layer, the way its meant to be, and almost always gain ~5 degrees. Many times I find the heatsink fits better too after removing all that stuff. So sloppiness from a hurried tech indeed can be a problem. One day I'll get brave enough (and have more time) to disassemble my G74 and deal with the mess that ASUS has likely made in there with the stuff.

BrodyBoy
04-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Eh, Its the GPU thats overheating not the CPU :D
Correct me if im wrong but from what i heard is the the GPU is build into the mobo ?
Sorry I missed that and got it backwards. :( Same issue and probable cause, though.

The CPU is socketed and the GPU is soldered, but they are cooled the same way. For either chip, a bad pasting job can result in overheating. If that's what's going on, you'll need to send it back to have them re-do it (assuming you want to retain the warranty). You can do it yourself, but these aren't considered "user-serviceable parts" and removing the heatsink is said to void the warranty.

Crimsonsglory
04-02-2012, 08:12 PM
i"ll be sending back to Asus during the weekends. whats the "standard" or acceptable temp should i expect under regular gaming ?( not excessive like furmark)

fostert
04-04-2012, 02:58 AM
i"ll be sending back to Asus during the weekends. whats the "standard" or acceptable temp should i expect under regular gaming ?( not excessive like furmark)
At a room temp ambient (21C, or 70F) an i7 2630/2670 CPU in a G74 idles @~40C, and stressed with a full single thread load ~56C. With all four cores going hard my 2630QM never exceeds 72C. As for the 560M GPU in my G74, idle is ~35C, but since I don't game I don't know what a typical temp max for it would be, but it shoudn't be too far from the CPU.