PDA

View Full Version : Asus G53SX-S1208V - DIMM SLOT

jerry kulleh
04-02-2012, 12:46 AM
is asus G53SX really have 4 DIMM slot??..Because yesterday i bring my laptop for RAM upgrade and i thought i can upgrade my laptop 4GB up to 16GB. because the manual says there is 4 DIMM slot..after all the case is open and i find there is only 2 SLOT. and now my laptop only have 8GB MEMORY..because i buy 2x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance.

is DDR3 2x8GB exist??..if any, i want to buy some..i really want to see my laptop run 16GB memory..because i ask the seller..there's no such 2x8GB??

i'm from malaysian, borneo island..where do i can find those memory??.:confused::confused:

Zygomorphic
04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Yes, been there, done that. Just follow the disassembly instructions in the manual. Two of the slots are on the back-side of the machine--difficult access, one more is under the keyboard--easy access, and the final one is somewhere else--impossible access. While you are at it, buy a Segate Momentus XT hybrid drive, or an SSD. The Momentus is worth it. A slightly over-priced hard drive it seems at first glance, but then, it is much faster on Windows boot--1/2 the time of a 5400 RPM drive.

To your other question, also yes, 2x8 GB exists on newegg.com If you are going to 16 GB, just by 2x4 GB from newegg or somewhere else. It is much cheaper, and the system will run the memory in dual-channel mode.

jerry kulleh
04-02-2012, 05:20 AM
so i can access only 3 slot..while another 1 slot is impossible to access i have to let it empty..this mean i can add 4GB more..and this make it all 12GB.. :cool::D

Zygomorphic
04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Actually, ASUS was very kind, they loaded the inaccessible slot with a 4 GB SODIMM. That way, three of the slots are user-upgradable. I think it strange that the loaded-slot configuration would change among versions, but maybe it does. With the G53SX, you have to disassemble it starting from the keyboard, not the base-plate. Annoying, but true.

sunninho
04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
It's not impossible to access the 4th slot. But, it is a little tricky.

As for 8GB DDR3, you can get Corsair DDR3-1333 from Amazon or other places for about $116 for a pair of DIMMs. I have 32GB of RAM in my G53SX...