PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GeForce driver update: 296.16

_
04-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Nvidia has fixed the bug that prevented our QC team from officiating their drivers on our G and VX series laptops. Our product page download links will be updated soon with Forceware 296.16 soon :)

As usual we recommend not downloading from 3rd party driver sites as you'll never know if it has hidden malware.

Download link:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/nVidia/VGA_nVidia_Win7_64_Z817129616.zip

RobinJack
04-02-2012, 08:06 AM
hi bro is it the live update in our Asus Laptop G74SX or a different one. Does this applies to Nividia GTX560M graphics card as well? I'm new to these kind of things so need advice. Thank U.

Symho
04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Great!!!

Finally new drivers!!!

_
04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
hi bro is it the live update in our Asus Laptop G74SX or a different one. Does this applies to Nividia GTX560M graphics card as well? I'm new to these kind of things so need advice. Thank U.

All Nvidia with a focus on 560M and 460M I'd imagine. It's a standard Nvidia Forceware driver.

It'll be on live update at the same time it's available on our product pages in the downloads tab.

Zygomorphic
04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
What is the difference between the ASUS drivers and the nVidia reference drivers? I run the reference drivers on both Windows and LINUX (no other option), and I have yet to see a difference.

RobinJack
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
can someone link me to what was stated by MarshallR please : It'll be on live update at the same time it's available on our product pages in the downloads tab.

RobinJack
04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
are we able to install the driver now? I suspect that the screen blackout is related to this, i google and alot of other people also experiencing the same thing

fuzon1337
04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
can someone link me to what was stated by MarshallR please : It'll be on live update at the same time it's available on our product pages in the downloads tab.

It's not available yet, if you check Asus Support (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336) site then you will notice the latest official driver (by ASUS) for the graphic card is from 2011.05.26, so you will have to wait....

But in the meantime you can downgrade the graphic driver to see if that resolve your issue :)

imelqui
04-03-2012, 03:03 AM
please put a link here if the new notebook driver is available. thnx

Symho
04-03-2012, 08:58 AM
please put a link here if the new notebook driver is available. thnx

However, you can use live update 3.1.2.

Zygomorphic
04-03-2012, 10:13 AM
If you do not wish to use the live update utility, go to the ROG ASUS G53SX page (http://rog.asus.com/notebook/15-inch/g53sx/) and click on the "Download" button. Select you operating system (Windows 7 64 bit), and click on the VGA node. It has not yet been posted, but according to what @Marshall said, it is being validated. I assume, then, that it will be posted shortly.

DEFTSTAR
04-03-2012, 08:07 PM
very cool!!

Symho
04-04-2012, 07:04 AM
very cool!!

:confused:

imelqui
04-05-2012, 04:56 AM
nothing there..post link here..thnx.

RobinJack
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
nothing there..post link here..thnx.

hi 1 bro link this u can try it here

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

imelqui
04-05-2012, 10:49 AM
hi 1 bro link this u can try it here

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

thnx for this,but id like to have the driver release from asus. the 296.16 version from asus.

Cylphid
04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Looking forward to trying these. The reference drivers are fine for the most part, but I have the occasional artifacting and sometimes tiling on videos. I'm hoping a decent driver might save me an RMA process.

imelqui
04-06-2012, 05:06 AM
link for the driver :rolleyes:

imelqui
04-06-2012, 07:05 AM
However, you can use live update 3.1.2.
tried this already but nothing came up .

Symho
04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
tried this already but nothing came up .

Because Asus don't have published nothing yet!

imelqui
04-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Because Asus don't have published nothing yet!

really?thought they released it a few days ago. guess i need patience. hehehe

AQUASTEVAE
04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
thnx for this,but id like to have the driver release from asus. the 296.16 version from asus.

why would you ever want a driver released from asus? asus is famous for having screwy drivers, that are poorly written. mean while, the manufacturer does a good job. the first thing i got rid of on my machine was the asus update. it always led to old, out dated poorly written drivers. these machines run ten times better when you have minimum to no asus apps running on them.

Zygomorphic
04-07-2012, 06:50 PM
@AQUASTEVE is right. ASUS drivers are rather poorly supported. This 296.16 driver in the pipeline is the first update in almost a year. In that time, nVidia has pushed at least three driver updates that I can recall. Starting from a few updates back, they are officially supporting the ASUS G53SX with the reference drivers. While having official ASUS approval is nice, all the sweet tweaks for games such as Skyrim are not available.

I have been running the reference drivers for some time, and I have had exactly zero problems with them. Kudos to nVidia for the great work. Even the beta drivers run reliably. John Carmack, the legendary computer game developer noted the same concerning the quality of their drivers:
PCG: If you were to buy a graphics card right now, what would you get?

John Carmack: Let me caution this by saying that this is not necessarily a benchmarked result. We’ve had closer relationships with Nvidia over the years, and my systems have had Nvidia cards in them for generations. We have more personal ties with Nvidia. As I understand it, ATI/AMD cards are winning a lot of the benchmarks right now for when you straight-out make synthetic benchmarks for things like that, but our games do get more hands-on polish time on the Nvidia side of things.

Nvidia does have a stronger dev-relations team. I can always drop an email for an obscure question. So its more of a socio-cultural decision there rather than a raw “Which hardware is better.” Although that does feed back into it, when you’ve got the dev-relation team that is deeply intertwined with the development studio. That tends to make your hardware, in some cases, come out better than what it truly is, because it’s got more of the software side behind it.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/id-softwares-john-carmack-picks-a-side-in-the-nvidiaamd-gpu-war/ (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/id-softwares-john-carmack-picks-a-side-in-the-nvidiaamd-gpu-war/)

Symho
04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
@AQUASTEVE is right. ASUS drivers are rather poorly supported. This 296.16 driver in the pipeline is the first update in almost a year. In that time, nVidia has pushed at least three driver updates that I can recall. Starting from a few updates back, they are officially supporting the ASUS G53SX with the reference drivers. While having official ASUS approval is nice, all the sweet tweaks for games such as Skyrim are not available.

I have been running the reference drivers for some time, and I have had exactly zero problems with them. Kudos to nVidia for the great work. Even the beta drivers run reliably. John Carmack, the legendary computer game developer noted the same concerning the quality of their drivers:
PCG: If you were to buy a graphics card right now, what would you get?

John Carmack: Let me caution this by saying that this is not necessarily a benchmarked result. WeÂ’ve had closer relationships with Nvidia over the years, and my systems have had Nvidia cards in them for generations. We have more personal ties with Nvidia. As I understand it, ATI/AMD cards are winning a lot of the benchmarks right now for when you straight-out make synthetic benchmarks for things like that, but our games do get more hands-on polish time on the Nvidia side of things.

Nvidia does have a stronger dev-relations team. I can always drop an email for an obscure question. So its more of a socio-cultural decision there rather than a raw “Which hardware is better.” Although that does feed back into it, when you’ve got the dev-relation team that is deeply intertwined with the development studio. That tends to make your hardware, in some cases, come out better than what it truly is, because it’s got more of the software side behind it.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/id-softwares-john-carmack-picks-a-side-in-the-nvidiaamd-gpu-war/ (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/11/id-softwares-john-carmack-picks-a-side-in-the-nvidiaamd-gpu-war/)

Carmack doesn't work in Asus! So this post is useless.

The GPU in our note is custom and it need, for work properly, a driver custom by development of Asus and Nvidia!

IMHO

Zygomorphic
04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
My point is that nVidia has the best driver support for their cards, custom or otherwise. I know John Carmack does not work for ASUS, but the point is that an independent game developer considers nVidia's work superior to AMD. While a bit lengthy, the punch-line is the last one, in which he acknowledges that the support is better, which applies to all cards. In other words, nVidia's drivers work. Like I said, I run my G53SX with the reference drivers, and it works perfectly. Their driver support for "custom" cards is incredible.

Anyway, what is custom about the card? It runs on the standard PCIe x16 lanes, without Optimus. The LCD is directly connected to the nVidia card--unlike Optimus--making it effectively a reference design. A custom form factor, maybe, but a custom logic card--no. Apple does the custom cards, as I think Sony does also. ASUS, to the extent of my knowledge does not. @Symho, do you actually work for ASUS?

tegnebok
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
nice, will this do something to the 3D?

Symho
04-07-2012, 07:56 PM
My point is that nVidia has the best driver support for their cards, custom or otherwise. I know John Carmack does not work for ASUS, but the point is that an independent game developer considers nVidia's work superior to AMD. While a bit lengthy, the punch-line is the last one, in which he acknowledges that the support is better, which applies to all cards. In other words, nVidia's drivers work. Like I said, I run my G53SX with the reference drivers, and it works perfectly. Their driver support for "custom" cards is incredible.

Anyway, what is custom about the card? It runs on the standard PCIe x16 lanes, without Optimus. The LCD is directly connected to the nVidia card--unlike Optimus--making it effectively a reference design. A custom form factor, maybe, but a custom logic card--no. Apple does the custom cards, as I think Sony does also. ASUS, to the extent of my knowledge does not. @Symho, do you actually work for ASUS?

No, i don't work for ASUS simply follow the logic. If is it unnecessary the ASUS's driver they don't develop and public nothing on web; ask to Marshall and you will see that i'm right! So you can use your PC in each way you think better.

Zygomorphic
04-07-2012, 08:07 PM
@Symho I think we are arguing two different things. If I have offended/annoyed you, please accept my apologies.

By the same logic, it might be true that ASUS does have poor driver support. They recognize that their computer is compatible with the nVidia reference drivers, and the majority of users will see this on nVidia's website and un the latest nVidia reference drivers. If the majority of users run the latest reference drivers, what is the point in spending the time and money to certify another driver, if the latest nVidia ones function flawlessly? A few drivers will be certified, yes, so that the troubleshooting tech support team has something to direct users to.

ASUS is primarily--read almost exclusively--a hardware vendor, so their software division is much smaller. Apple, on the other hand, runs non-reference hardware. Thus, because the nVidia/AMD reference drivers are incompatible--I think--, they must periodically release updated drivers so that their hardware does not fall behind in driver support. ASUS run reference hardware, so nVidia's updating policy covers them with no extra trouble. nVidia, in an effort to keep support of the gaming community--and developers--, must continue to update drivers with tweaks and patches.

All the same, kudos to ASUS for being in the process of certifying another driver. Way to go @Marshall! Who knows @technebok, they might introduce 3D support! :)

AQUASTEVAE
04-07-2012, 08:58 PM
The GPU in our note is custom and it need, for work properly, a driver custom by development of Asus and Nvidia!

IMHO

i don't believe this at all. what is your reference? link? i always run clean drivers from the manufacturer, which have nothing to do with asus, and they work perfectly. as a matter of fact, i would say that a large number of the complaints and problems on this board are because people are using asus crap on their computers, which cause more problems than they give good results.
i have the g74sx dh71, and it runs perfectly without any asus crap on it. i have never experienced all the problems listed all over this board, because i got rid of the asus crap on it the day i received it.
so i'm calling you out to show proof of what you say. i'm waiting for your response...

AQUASTEVAE
04-07-2012, 09:04 PM
No, i don't work for ASUS simply follow the logic. If is it unnecessary the ASUS's driver they don't develop and public nothing on web; ask to Marshall and you will see that i'm right! So you can use your PC in each way you think better.

sorry, but there is NO logic there. using drivers from a company that has a long history of writing terrible software, over the top of other terrible software is not logical. you might want to get a dictionary and look up the term, so that you better understand it.

AQUASTEVAE
04-07-2012, 09:05 PM

sorry, but there is NO logic in your comments. using drivers from a company that has a long history of writing terrible software, over the top of other terrible software is not logical. you might want to get a dictionary and look up the term, so that you better understand it, before using it. otherwise you are not helping others, but hurting them.

Zygomorphic
04-07-2012, 09:47 PM
sorry, but there is NO logic in your comments. using drivers from a company that has a long history of writing terrible software, over the top of other terrible software is not logical. you might want to get a dictionary and look up the term, so that you better understand it, before using it. otherwise you are not helping others, but hurting them.

@AQUASTEVE, I agree with you. No need to double post. I think @Symho writes the way he does because English may not be his first language--if it is...
@Symho, AQUASTEVE is correct. The logic is invalid. Also, the claim that the GPU is custom needs proof. If you look at this image:7499, it appears that the GPU is under a heatsink of about the dimensions of MXM cards, which are a rare standard, but a standard nonetheless. If someone, @Marshall, maybe you, can verify this, it would be great.

GottiBoi55
04-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Thx God, been waiting for this update a long time!

BTW, I tried using the drivers from nvidia and it messed up the BD playback.
the issue i had was no video ,just audio, so this will be a welcomed update for me!

just wondering has anyone else had the same problem?

also the PhysX update that was just released is great!

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Thx God, been waiting for this update a long time!

BTW, I tried using the drivers from nvidia and it messed up the BD playback.
the issue i had was no video ,just audio, so this will be a welcomed update for me!

just wondering has anyone else had the same problem?!

I've seen a number of threads discussing a similar issue: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=blu-ray+no+video+only+audio&oq=blu-ray+no+video+only+audio&aq=f&aqi=q-A1&aql=1&gs_l=serp.12..33i29.1228l10302l2l13408l23l21l1l1l2 l0l173l2773l0j21l23l0.cfis.1.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=193b680415c1a72a&biw=978&bih=709

It may not be related to your current video driver.

uniqorn2009
04-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I installed the new driver from the Nvidia site and it caused problems. The screen started flashing a red screen and the driver error message said it had to reset. So I rolled back my driver to the previous state.

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Did you perform a "clean install" so the previous NVIDIA driver was removed?

GottiBoi55
04-08-2012, 04:18 AM
I've seen a number of threads discussing a similar issue: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=blu-ray+no+video+only+audio&oq=blu-ray+no+video+only+audio&aq=f&aqi=q-A1&aql=1&gs_l=serp.12..33i29.1228l10302l2l13408l23l21l1l1l2 l0l173l2773l0j21l23l0.cfis.1.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=193b680415c1a72a&biw=978&bih=709

It may not be related to your current video driver.

yeah, then i rolled back the driver and everything worked fine.
I suspect the driver messed up some codec.
Asus will fix that bug.

btw, thx for the link :o

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 04:31 AM
You're welcome. Sometimes it is important to get other running drivers (like Antivirus) out of the way when installing a driver, particularly video drivers. That is why I boot into Safe Mode for the NVIDIA installations. I also always choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox to remove the current NVIDIA driver.

Symho
04-08-2012, 07:35 AM

Sorry, but if you think that ASUS has thats problems why do you have buy an ASUS's product? This is NO Logic...

Link (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/42588)

Note: " NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook."

P.s. Happy Easter!

GottiBoi55
04-08-2012, 01:12 PM
You're welcome. Sometimes it is important to get other running drivers (like Antivirus) out of the way when installing a driver, particularly video drivers. That is why I boot into Safe Mode for the NVIDIA installations. I also always choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox to remove the current NVIDIA driver.

Yeah, i have done that too, but not in safe mode.
i would disconnect from the net and turn of the AV, and then install.
but that a good tip, i will try the safe mode thing.
thx:)

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, turning off Antivirus Services doesn't stop their kernel mode drivers that may interfere with installations. You need to disable the Service(s) and reboot the system to stop these drivers. By booting into Safe Mode, the drivers are not loaded. It's a simpler method of dealing with them, because there may be other drivers that also could affect the installation.

AQUASTEVAE
04-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Sorry, but if you think that ASUS has thats problems why do you have buy an ASUS's product? This is NO Logic...

because the hardware is well made, and i can get drivers from the manufacturers websites. so yeah, it is very logical.

this machine runs like a dream once you get the asus software off of it.

Zygomorphic
04-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Lets try not to get into flame wars.

@dstrkele, I have never had problems installing drivers, but then again, I always do a clean install. Clean install will wipe out custom settings, but video drivers, being notoriously buggy, need all the hygiene they can get.

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Amen, @Zygomorphic!

fuzon1337
04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Nvidia has fixed the bug that prevented our QC team from officiating their drivers on our G and VX series laptops. Our product page download links will be updated soon with Forceware 296.16 soon :)

Any news on when the release of the "new" graphics driver will be available? :)

Zygomorphic
04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
That will be good. I am running the 300-series beta driver, and it works like a champ. I have heard good stories about FXAA, but I can't verify them personally. @Marshall, does this mean that ASUS is going to start certifying drivers more frequently? I would love to see at least every other driver release certified. I know that there is a lot of money involved in properly testing the drivers, but I would still like to see >1 driver/year update rate.

Alternately, @Marshall, maybe ASUS could get a special deal with nVidia to be auto-certified for certain hardware. I know that the ASUS laptops are not on the list of unsupported cards (only Sony [surprise, surprise], and Fujitsu). That would cut ASUS costs, as well as provide the users with the fastest updates. Just a thought.

RobinJack
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Lets try not to get into flame wars.

@dstrkele, I have never had problems installing drivers, but then again, I always do a clean install. Clean install will wipe out custom settings, but video drivers, being notoriously buggy, need all the hygiene they can get.

hi bro can you teach the steps to do a clean install please, thanks.

PILGRIM
04-12-2012, 04:06 PM

..or you can PM Brody. Methinks he has a stashed file for a clean install guide.

Zygomorphic
04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
No problem. Just select the "clean install" option in the nVidia installer. It will automatically over-write everything that it needs to.

PILGRIM
04-12-2012, 04:39 PM

..or you can PM Brody. Methinks he has a stashed file for a clean install guide.

Oops, sorry.. I thought the need was an OS clean install..

Yeah, that's right. When installing an nVidia driver, use: Custom (Advanced) > Perform a clean installation.

HavokD
04-13-2012, 04:34 AM
For me the ONLY drivers that work 100% as they should are the 266.58... The rest (I have tried other 6 different drivers) give me LOADS of nvidia kernel errors, "driver has stopped and recovered" events, boot ups with blank screen on windows, freezing on windows, and a HUGE list of issues...

I'm using a G73sw-xt1 and if these new drivers work as they should then I will be extremely happy (Im actually replaying Skyrim and the performance boost will be welcomed!).

Symho
04-13-2012, 07:54 AM
For me the ONLY drivers that work 100% as they should are the 266.58... The rest (I have tried other 6 different drivers) give me LOADS of nvidia kernel errors, "driver has stopped and recovered" events, boot ups with blank screen on windows, freezing on windows, and a HUGE list of issues...

I'm using a G73sw-xt1 and if these new drivers work as they should then I will be extremely happy (Im actually replaying Skyrim and the performance boost will be welcomed!).

You have understand how use your G74Sx and make it stable and efficient! ;)

_
04-13-2012, 09:10 AM
@AQUASTEVE, I agree with you. No need to double post. I think @Symho writes the way he does because English may not be his first language--if it is...
@Symho, AQUASTEVE is correct. The logic is invalid. Also, the claim that the GPU is custom needs proof. If you look at this image:7499, it appears that the GPU is under a heatsink of about the dimensions of MXM cards, which are a rare standard, but a standard nonetheless. If someone, @Marshall, maybe you, can verify this, it would be great.

The GPU is custom sized/made on all ASUS G series hardware, yes, but it uses Nvidia specs - just like you can design custom PCB DirectCU cards and they still use the standard desktop software Nvidia provides.

Please be nice everyone, and respect that some people may not convey their ideas in the most direct sense if their first language is not English. Much appreciated!

_
04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Download link from ASUS in first post.

I'm testing this now:

-Clean install
-No 3D options (not available on my G53SX anyway)

EDIT: 100% fine here.

Zygomorphic
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM

I'm testing this now:

-Clean install

@Marshall, was a glasses-free G53SX ever released? Here is a youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFblXLWyNU) to what appears to be a glasses-free G53SX with 1080p screen. I am aware of the 1366x768 120Hz glasses variant, but what ever happened to this glasses-free version?

Symho
04-13-2012, 11:20 AM

I'm testing this now:

-Clean install

Hi Marshall,

in your link is available the new driver 296.16?

Why is it not publisched on ASUS web?

Thanks!

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 11:23 AM

I'm testing this now:

-Clean install

Downloaded the driver, and I'm currently testing it out :)
So far no problems ^^

Thanks! :D

EDIT: I got one issue with this driver after I performed a clean install of it, and that is (happens rarely) when I close a tab in IE9 the screen turns black and then on again without any warnings -.-
(driver before update: 296.10, from nVidia support and had the same issue on that too)

Zygomorphic
04-13-2012, 12:22 PM
The GPU is custom sized/made on all ASUS G series hardware, yes, but it uses Nvidia specs - just like you can design custom PCB DirectCU cards and they still use the standard desktop software Nvidia provides.

Please be nice everyone, and respect that some people may not convey their ideas in the most direct sense if their first language is not English. Much appreciated!

Thanks for the heads-up @Marshall! I am not surprised that the GPU is custom sized; a lot of notebooks go this route. However, please take a BIG thank-you for using nVidia specs. It is always nicer to use reference hardware, as the configuration headache is reduced--especially for LINUX. I specifically bought an ASUS over a Sony because of this (not to mention the ASUS was more powerful for the same price). I wanted something that I could run LINUX on natively without jumping through hoops.

Also, you are right about being nice. We don't want to offend anyone simply because their post wasn't clear. We all say something we didn't mean from time to time.

kaltoreth
04-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Hello.

I downed the verde drivers from nvida.com - Its 301.24.

Is the driver you are talking about better ?

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Hello.

I downed the verde drivers from nvida.com - Its 301.24.

Is the driver you are talking about better ?

Hi

The driver we're talking about is on the first post in this thread (296.16) and is asus approved and optimized for nVidia GTX 460/560M :)

kaltoreth
04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi

The driver we're talking about is on the first post in this thread (296.16) and is asus approved and optimized for nVidia GTX 460/560M :)

I see =)

my g74sx is awsome fun to play on, have really good fps on all games, expect for RIFT for some reason, which have ****ty fps hehe =)

So i downed the 301.24 driver, and thought perhaps it would be better. But i will try the 296.16 one, as you say ut is optimized for the 460/560M cards =)

Have a nice weekend!

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I see =)

my g74sx is awsome fun to play on, have really good fps on all games, expect for RIFT for some reason, which have ****ty fps hehe =)

So i downed the 301.24 driver, and thought perhaps it would be better. But i will try the 296.16 one, as you say ut is optimized for the 460/560M cards =)

Have a nice weekend!

That 301.24 driver isn't that a beta version?
I know that our notebooks is suffering from CPU throtling so that can by why you have low fps in RIFT... there is a workaround to fix it in this forum, but @ColonelS have mentioned that there will be a new BIOS released soon, that fixes this issue.... but haven't seen it yet :(

kaltoreth
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
That 301.24 driver isn't that a beta version?
I know that our notebooks is suffering from CPU throtling so that can by why you have low fps in RIFT... there is a workaround to fix it in this forum, but @ColonelS have mentioned that there will be a new BIOS released soon, that fixes this issue.... but haven't seen it yet :(

hm .. isnt that just for the g73 series ? Im runing the intel boost monitor thingy, and it flies up too 2.8ghz when i play, so i dont think its throttleed in anyway. I have the 203 bios on my g74sx.

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 01:34 PM
hm .. isnt that just for the g73 series ? Im runing the intel boost monitor thingy, and it flies up too 2.8ghz when i play, so i dont think its throttleed in anyway. I have the 203 bios on my g74sx.

This is for all Sandy Bridge processors so unfortunately this is for the G74 too =/
Take a look at this thread ATTENTION: G73/53SW Owners - CPU Throttling to 798mhz and how to fix it (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it)

kaltoreth
04-13-2012, 09:06 PM
This is for all Sandy Bridge processors so unfortunately this is for the G74 too =/
Take a look at this thread ATTENTION: G73/53SW Owners - CPU Throttling to 798mhz and how to fix it (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it)

Increadible! =) THank you for adressing it!

But why do CPUID and Intel Turbo boost Monitor both say my cpu is running at 2.8ghz ?
I am NOT doubting what you say, its just tht everything i use to monitor my system, says otherwise.

Im as confused as an eskimo in the desert.

Zygomorphic
04-13-2012, 09:11 PM
800 MHz is the idle frequency of the SandyBridge CPUs. If the monitor flies up to 2.8 GHz (you have a 2630QM I suppose), then the turbo boost is kicking in, and nothing is wrong. To save on power and reduce heat, Intel allows the processor to under-clock itself when idle. In fact, this feature, known as SpeedStep, was introduced in the days of the Pentium III (A LONG time ago:cool:).

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Increadible! =) THank you for adressing it!

But why do CPUID and Intel Turbo boost Monitor both say my cpu is running at 2.8ghz ?
I am NOT doubting what you say, its just tht everything i use to monitor my system, says otherwise.

Im as confused as an eskimo in the desert.

I'm not sure either =/

as @dkillone says in his post: Problem is when running Prime95 the CPU stays turbo boosted at 2.3 to 2.6ghz. However, once Furmark is started at the same time, the CPU drops instantly to 798mhz....

Perhaps you could check it out yourself and see if the same thing happends to you ?

Zygomorphic
04-13-2012, 09:29 PM
2.6 GHz is the upper cap for TurboMode on the 2630QM on 2x2 cores. I say 2x2 because of hyper-threading. Due to variations, it fluctuates between about 2.3 and 2.6 GHz. The Furmark dropping it to 798 MHz is really confusing. Is there potentially a bug with Furmark? I have written my own high-stress floating point tests, and running them produces the speed results that @fuzon1337 quotes.

soh299
04-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Hey guys, I have the G73SW-A1 notebook. With 267.54 nvidia version. I am not having any problem with the notebook except when playing battlefield 3, it will freeze after playing around for 5-10minutes. I cant play Need for speed The RUN as well, due to the ancient driver version.

Should I update to the latest 296.16 version? I am reluctant to update it due to many complaint about the 296.10 causing problem to the notebook. Since as mention earlier, the 296.16 version is made specifically for G series notebook and approved by asus, is it available to be downloaded in asus official website?

In short, is it recommended to download the 296.16 for the G73SW-A1?

fostert
04-14-2012, 03:50 AM
In fact, this feature, known as SpeedStep, was introduced in the days of the Pentium III (A LONG time ago:cool:).

2630QM should clock all the way to 2.9 GHz if you've got a recent version of ACPI Thermal management installed: at least, switching linux kernels to one with a recent version of acpi did the trick for me (2.92GHz max now for one thread @100% load).

Ah yes, the PIII...1998 doesn't seem too long ago! In fact my PIII-600 machine is still 100%...plays HALO quite well too!

PILGRIM
04-14-2012, 04:32 AM
I'm testing this now:

-Clean install

I'm also testing the 296.16 Forceware and so far, so good.

One question, though. Why isn't there any PhysX System software included in it?..
I had to re-install the 296.10 PhysX System just to have it.

PILGRIM
04-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, I have the G73SW-A1 notebook. With 267.54 nvidia version. I am not having any problem with the notebook except when playing battlefield 3, it will freeze after playing around for 5-10minutes. I cant play Need for speed The RUN as well, due to the ancient driver version.

Should I update to the latest 296.16 version? I am reluctant to update it due to many complaint about the 296.10 causing problem to the notebook. Since as mention earlier, the 296.16 version is made specifically for G series notebook and approved by asus, is it available to be downloaded in asus official website?

It should work just fine considering this 296.16 version is ASUS certified
and is supposed to be for the G-series (460M/560M).

Perchance it won't work for your laptop, just re-install the previous driver.

fuzon1337
04-14-2012, 07:48 AM

If you still have issues when you play games, then you could try out the new certified and optimized driver for GTX 460/560M by Asus.
So if you choose to install it, then choose advanced and check for "clean install", then install. :)

EDIT: If you should get any issues with the new driver, then you can always install an earlier version of the graphic driver to see if the problem still occurs.

The driver is not available at asus support, but @MarshallR have posted the installation file in his first post here:

Download link:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/nVidia/VGA_nVidia_Win7_64_Z817129616.zip

And as @Pilgrim says in his post:

One question, though. Why isn't there any PhysX System software included in it?..
I had to re-install the 296.10 PhysX System just to have it.

You'll need to download the PhysX driver, nVidia support (http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.0213-driver.html)

Symho
04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
If you still have issues when you play games, then you could try out the new certified and optimized driver for GTX 460/560M by Asus.
So if you choose to install it, then choose advanced and check for "clean install", then install. :)

EDIT: If you should get any issues with the new driver, then you can always install an earlier version of the graphic driver to see if the problem still occurs.

The driver is not available at asus support, but @MarshallR have posted the installation file in his first post here:

And as @Pilgrim says in his post:

You'll need to download the PhysX driver, nVidia support (http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.0213-driver.html)

No, there is a Nvidia Physix pack on Asus web. Install from that web!

Symho
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a question!

Why the new drivers, posted by Marshall, don't appear on Asus web?

Please Marshall, may you reply my question?

Thanks for all in advance.

P.s. Sorry for my poor english!

Symho
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a question!

Why the new drivers, posted by Marshall, don't appear on Asus web?

Please Marshall, may you reply my question?

Thanks for all in advance.

P.s. Sorry for my poor english!

JerJer123
04-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Why do I keep getting Horizontal Lines on my screen with drivers older than 285.79...It's starting to get annoying. Don't get me wrong, the 285.79 driver works great on my G74, but when I update my drivers, either through Nvidia or ASUS, I still get those annoying horizontal lines showing up on my screen in dark backgrounds. It would be nice to upgrade, as new drivers are more optimized, and I don't want to be stuck with drivers that are slowly becoming obsolete.

Is there any OFFICIAL word from ASUS regarding this "horizontal lines" issue? I know I'm not the only one facing this issue...I've seen quite a few other G74 owners with the same issue. Like I said before, the horizontal lies seem to disappear when using the 285.79 drivers or lower, but I don't want to be stuck with these drivers when there are newer ones out that are better optimized.

It would be nice to hear from an ASUS employee/mod as to why this is happening. If you guys are unaware of what I'm referring to by horizontal lines on my screen, please take a look at this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11405-G74-Horizontal-lines-on-screen)

I've owned this laptop for a little over a month now, and this is my only issue with it

Slayerking
04-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Why do I keep getting Horizontal Lines on my screen with drivers older than 285.79...It's starting to get annoying. Don't get me wrong, the 285.79 driver works great on my G74, but when I update my drivers, either through Nvidia or ASUS, I still get those annoying horizontal lines showing up on my screen in dark backgrounds. It would be nice to upgrade, as new drivers are more optimized, and I don't want to be stuck with drivers that are slowly becoming obsolete.

Is there any OFFICIAL word from ASUS regarding this "horizontal lines" issue? I know I'm not the only one facing this issue...I've seen quite a few other G74 owners with the same issue. Like I said before, the horizontal lies seem to disappear when using the 285.79 drivers or lower, but I don't want to be stuck with these drivers when there are newer ones out that are better optimized.

It would be nice to hear from an ASUS employee/mod as to why this is happening. If you guys are unaware of what I'm referring to by horizontal lines on my screen, please take a look at this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11405-G74-Horizontal-lines-on-screen)

I've owned this laptop for a little over a month now, and this is my only issue with itYep I'm also getting the lines with these new drivers (296.16) on my G74sx. I can see them clear as day over dark backgrounds.

dstrakele
04-19-2012, 05:53 AM
@JerJer and @Slayerking - you are reporting an NVIDIA driver issue that would be best addressed on the Official NVIDIA driver feedback threads over at the NVIDIA Forum. If NVIDIA does not know of your driver issues, they won't be fixing 'em.

JerJer123
04-20-2012, 12:31 AM
@JerJer and @Slayerking - you are reporting an NVIDIA driver issue that would be best addressed on the Official NVIDIA driver feedback threads over at the NVIDIA Forum. If NVIDIA does not know of your driver issues, they won't be fixing 'em.

I started a thread on their forums. Other users with this problem should chime in as well (On this forum and over at nvidia (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=227767)

It would still be nice to hear a reply from someone at asus

JerJer123
04-25-2012, 08:16 PM
*UPDATE*
So I went over to the nvidia forums and started a thread about these horizontal lines - this one (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=227767) and there is another thread also over there on the same issue - this one. (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=225593) Anyway, after doing that I submitted a ticket, then contacted live support and was told they (nvidia) would be investigating this issue. You can visit 1st link I posted to view a transcript of the chat with the live agent. Today I was contacted by someone from nvidia, and was told they would be further investigating the issue and contacting asus to try to get it resolved. Here is the response I received:

Hello,

Thank you for your bug submission. This is a known issue we are currently investigating with ASUS. The problem has been confirmed to be unique to this particular LCD panel. As We suspect the issue is related to our dithering mode, and that this particular LCD panel is also doing dithering. The symptom may be a side effect due to the panel doing dithering itself, and our GPU doing the dithering again. We are in contact with ASUS to confirm with the panel manufacturer about the panel built-in dithering. I think once we know more about the specification of this LCD panel then we'll have a better idea how to resolve the problem. Thanks for bring this to our attention.

So hopefully there will be a fix coming soon.

firmware
05-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Here is a newer version from G75.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/nVidia/VGA_nVidia_Win7_64_Z817129644.zip

Symho
05-12-2012, 05:15 PM
To firmware:

It is only for G75's GPU.

firmware
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
It does a system check to see if you have the requirements before it installs and im using it right now.

Symho
05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Greeting firmware!

ghostx87
05-15-2012, 05:28 PM
This driver broke 3d vision for me :( It was working on the 296.10 driver and now when you enable 3d vision is just disables 2 seconds later.

PS: I have the g74sx-3d

Maajid
05-22-2012, 05:13 PM
What's the lowdown on the 301.24 Verde driver that the Nvidia Control Panel wants me to update to?

dstrakele
05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
See the NVIDIA Official Feedback Thread for version 301.24: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226985

Some have reported "Pink Screen/lockup" issues for this driver in this forum.

To add to the confusion, NVIDIA has just released a 301.42 WHQL driver: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/301.42/301.42-win7-winvista-notebook-release-notes.pdf

I don't see an official feedback thread for it yet.

Symho
05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
We must install this driver or not?

dataDave
05-24-2012, 02:11 AM
We must install this driver or not?

Depends if you want adaptive V-sync and their new 'lite' FXAA.

CodyS117
05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
I updated my Nvidia with Version V8.17.12.9616 and after downloading my whole screens resolution went crazy and everything is huge and out of place and when i set my resolution back to what it should be everything becomes streched out.. if anyone has had this problem please let me know how to fix it.

soh299
05-31-2012, 11:12 AM
which model are you using?

btw any one has the G73SW-A1 and had no problem with this 296.16 driver?

dstrakele
05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the video driver update. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore for details.

GottiBoi55
06-03-2012, 08:41 PM
This driver set (296.16) was not that good very buggy, had all kind of FPS drops, mainly in "BioShock2".
was getting 55, or 60 plus FPS, them would drop to 12, or lower in a second.
had some stutter, and minor drops in FPS problems in other games also.

But on a good note Nvidia just came out with there 301.42 WHQL set of drives, did a clean install with that set.
everything is going well so for, all tests are giving me great results so far.

here's the link
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-301.42-whql-driver.html

n3tninja
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Sweet, will try the new update then :) !

GottiBoi55
06-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Sweet, will try the new update then :) !

Just make sure you do a clean install, check "custom install" and then check the" clean install box".
this will delete all your old profiles, and remove the old drivers.
this will start fresh with the new install.

Good luck, hope this helps.

soh299
06-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Anyone with the G73SW-A1 who had upgraded to 296.16 and had no problem at all?

Symho
06-11-2012, 07:32 AM
I have notice that the drivers 296.16 have Nvidia update, so if this application notify the 301.42 version we must update or not?

Zygomorphic
06-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I would say update in either case, since the 301 drives contain some nice new features. I run them on my G53SX, and they run fine. While I have no use for the FXAA, I run the most recent drivers to get all performance tweaks and bug-fixes (that most of all).

gilbert
06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
I updated tp the new 301,42 and my WEI went down to 7.1 don't know why , after i rolled back to 296,16 it went back up to 7.2 im guessing that in my case 296,16 gives me a better performance boost then the 301.42.....maybe they lower the performance on the 301,42 because with the 301,24 i was getting the 7.2 score .

Symho
06-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I hope that ASUS will release a new driver with new Nvidia's features (es. FXAA)... Marshall, we have a chance?

Zygomorphic
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM
I updated tp the new 301,42 and my WEI went down to 7.1 don't know why , after i rolled back to 296,16 it went back up to 7.2 im guessing that in my case 296,16 gives me a better performance boost then the 301.42.....maybe they lower the performance on the 301,42 because with the 301,24 i was getting the 7.2 score .

Mine was at 7.1 under the 301.24 beta drivers and still is under the 301.42, so I think it has something to do with Windows. Actually, under Windows 8, I got a 6.9, but that was running non-Windows 8 drivers, so I can't speak with total certainty. Then again, under Windows 8, I got an 8.9 on the RAM :). Don't worry about it, especially since the WEI for gaming graphics is totally bogus. If the games you play run fine, then who cares what Microsoft thinks about your computer. If they don't try updating the drivers, since NVIDIA optimizes for games, not the Windows Experience Index. Some of their driver releases purportedly boosted gaming performance by 30-50% in some games...

gilbert
06-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Mine was at 7.1 under the 301.24 beta drivers and still is under the 301.42, so I think it has something to do with Windows. Actually, under Windows 8, I got a 6.9, but that was running non-Windows 8 drivers, so I can't speak with total certainty. Then again, under Windows 8, I got an 8.9 on the RAM :). Don't worry about it, especially since the WEI for gaming graphics is totally bogus. If the games you play run fine, then who cares what Microsoft thinks about your computer. If they don't try updating the drivers, since NVIDIA optimizes for games, not the Windows Experience Index. Some of their driver releases purportedly boosted gaming performance by 30-50% in some games...

it would b nice to know what driver gives you better overall performance , i really think that the 296,16 is it.

Zygomorphic
06-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I actually got 7.1 under all the different drivers that I have tested, to be honest. Besides which, if you look up GTX560M equipped notebooks on notebookcheck.net, then you will find that the range in 560M cards from various manufacturers varies by more than 0.1 points on the WEI scale. Just try all the various versions with the games that you play, and determine which one runs them the fastest with the most stability. The other thing I forgot to say earlier is that Microsoft occasionally changes the scale slightly, so individual cards can change in performance. So much for their promise to keep WEI consistent across versions. What they are trying to do is make the highest end hardware available score a perfect score, and everything else drops down from there.

GottiBoi55
07-04-2012, 12:34 AM

I had the same issue, you need to reset 3D setting, then restart your laptop and run WEI again.
soon as your desktop is fully loaded run the WEI.
I get 7.2 for both desktop, and gaming.

Slayerking
08-18-2012, 05:02 AM
The latest beta drivers (304.79) seem to have got rid of the lines for me.

cjfowler
10-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Found a new nVidia driver release this month for the 560m.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html

Zygomorphic
10-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Good find! +1 :)

eskion
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I hate my G53. I have to jump between drivers constantly because after about a week I get constant crashes. My display driver crashed 3 times last night. I always end up going back to 2.85 and then when that one starts acting up I go to the 2.96. Asus really does make some crap today.

2.96 has already crashed twice today, and guess what I was doing....browsing the forum...

games4lyf22
11-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I just want to ask, I already downloaded the latest version available on my Nvidia Graphics auto Update.
Vers. 306.97

Do I need to downgrade it?. .

Zygomorphic
11-18-2012, 11:15 AM
No. This thread is out of date. Run the latest nVidia drivers from the nVidia website. That way you get all the nice performance tweaks and everything. :)

user
11-28-2012, 09:01 PM
The latest Nvidia geforce driver 306.97 have an note on the bottom:
Exceptions:
1.Notebooks supporting Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets are not supported (NVIDIA Optimus technology is supported).

Is Hybrid Power Technology in the G74?

Thorn2011
11-29-2012, 01:57 AM
That is what I was wondering. also if people have tried the 306.97 drivers can they let us know how they work in terms of stability? I tried the Nvidia 301 drivers and kept on getting DTE's (Display Timeout Errors) where the screen would go black for no reason and I would be forced to hard-reset! (This hasn't happened since rolling back to the old ASUS certified drivers from Feb or March.) Performance gains are fantastic but not at the expense of reliability ?

Thanks!

Zygomorphic
11-29-2012, 02:20 AM
They work fine. I have the latest 30X.YZ drivers on my G53SX and they work fine for me.

Symho
11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
They work fine. I have the latest 30X.YZ drivers on my G53SX and they work fine for me.

When ASUS decide to release a new official/certified driver for our GPU??? :mad:

Nutype
12-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Just upgraded my driver to nvidias 310.64 beta and also tried 306.97 whql and my 460m no longer underclocks wether i be on a/c or battery. Any idea why this is happnening? before i was using 285.62 without problems, not sure if that was an asus driver or nvidia

AQUASTEVAE
03-28-2013, 04:18 AM
i'm loading 314.22 right now. i will let you guys know how it goes.

Symho
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Hey guys,

i have a question for you. I have noticed that my G74Sx's monitor, when I use low brightness, generates some small vibrations of the image. It is my only problem? Thanks!

AQUASTEVAE
03-29-2013, 01:05 AM
everything appears to be working brilliantly 24 hours or so later.

renzpwns
04-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Anyone with the G53SX update with the latest driver (314.22)? If yes, did it work fine? Should I update it as well?

compurocker
04-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Updated my G75VX to 314.22 and everything seems to be in order.

renzpwns
05-27-2013, 01:38 AM
New driver update (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/62795/nvidiaupdate).

Haven't downloaded it yet, because previous update is still fine for me.

Arvizu360
10-10-2013, 03:39 AM

I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. Any other Driver that isn't the one from the ROG Disk 268.37 Gives me a blank screen that takes around 40 seconds to go off then the password screen comes up. I don't understand whats causing this. It only happens in windows 7. Not on 8. can someone help me on how to fix this please? I have tried every single driver out there even the newer beta ones 340.xx something like that. and nothing please help

VitalZ
12-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Yesterday put a new driver GeForce 331.93 (BETA)
It works congratulations! 3D works well!
So I updated the old driver 314.22
My laptop G53SX