PDA

View Full Version : Maximus XII Extreme - "This file is not a proper bios" - Bios Rollback

theotorm
02-02-2021, 07:30 AM
Hi everyone, currently on my maximus xii extreme I had the bios v.* 1003. I wanted to go back to the previous version 0901. I correctly formatted the usb key and renamed the file to .cap.* When I enter EZ-Flash and ask to read the file I get this error: "This File is not a proper bios." I can't go back!* I tried to download other earlier versions too (0804-0707 ... etc ..) ... nothing always has the same message!* Instead I tried to put the latest bios beta 2004 version and install it without problems!* I can't go back!

geneo
02-02-2021, 08:43 AM
Did you try bios flashback?

Silent Scone@ROG
02-02-2021, 08:47 AM
Redownload the file from the support site and use USB Flashback after renaming the CAP to M12E.CAP

theotorm
02-02-2021, 09:51 AM
Redownload the file from the support site and use USB Flashback after renaming the CAP to M12E.CAP
Sorry EZ Flash not good? I have already downloaded the bios 20 times and renamed them in .cap but I can't install them ... and the message is always the same ... I also changed the usb stick ... only the latest beta has updated the bios! What else should I do ???

theotorm
02-02-2021, 09:53 AM
Did you try bios flashback?
What is Flashback bios? I always used EZ Flash from bios ... you can explain why I'm not very experienced ... thanks friend.

pndiode
02-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Page 2-19 in the User's Manual

Snacko
02-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Would clearing the CMOS help?

Saltgrass
02-04-2021, 01:44 PM
What do you mean you renamed the file to .cap? If you are using EZ Flash, that is already set on the actual file name.

Why are you changing the Bios so much? I haven't had problems with any of them.. except 2004, which would not install when first released but was corrected later in the day.

hawkhandler
02-09-2021, 03:52 PM
I'm having the exact same problem with a Z490-E. Were you able to find a solution?

Silent Scone@ROG
02-09-2021, 04:52 PM
Sorry EZ Flash not good? I have already downloaded the bios 20 times and renamed them in .cap but I can't install them ... and the message is always the same ... I also changed the usb stick ... only the latest beta has updated the bios! What else should I do ???

Renaming is only a function needed for USB Flashback, use this feature as suggested above if wanting to roll back.

hawkhandler
02-09-2021, 07:06 PM
Renaming is only a function needed for USB Flashback, use this feature as suggested above if wanting to roll back.

i have also tried this both ways, renaming or not, and still not able to proceed on the Z490-E

Silent Scone@ROG
02-10-2021, 08:22 AM
i have also tried this both ways, renaming or not, and still not able to proceed on the Z490-E

USB Flashback will work if following the process correctly.

Make sure the pen drive is

1) Freshly formatted to FAT32

2) In the correct USB slot

3)The file is renamed to M12E.CAP

Braegnok
02-10-2021, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone, currently on my maximus xii extreme I had the bios v.* 1003. I wanted to go back to the previous version 0901. I correctly formatted the usb key and renamed the file to .cap.* When I enter EZ-Flash and ask to read the file I get this error: "This File is not a proper bios." I can't go back!* I tried to download other earlier versions too (0804-0707 ... etc ..) ... nothing always has the same message!* Instead I tried to put the latest bios beta 2004 version and install it without problems!* I can't go back!

I just used the BIOS Flashback tool this morning on Maximus XII Extreme, successfully flashing from BIOS 2004 back to BIOS 1003.

I'm not sure if all the steps I used matter, or if USB drive size/type matters.

I used a new 8GB drive formatted to FAT32.

I rolled back Intel IME driver from Version 14.1.51.1528 release date 2021/01/08 to Version 14.0.45.1389V2.1 release date 2020/10/29.

The first few times I tried flashing back it did not work, I attempted several more times with same unsuccessful results, than rolled back IME driver, changed USB flash drives.

Hope this helps, good luck.

geneo
02-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Windows IME driver doesn't matter with flashback. BIOS flashback doesn't use the current BIOS or Windows at all. It is a small independent firmware program that understands FAT32 USB and how to flash the BIOS firmware file, that's it. It must have been something else that was preventing you from flashing.

hawkhandler
02-10-2021, 06:08 PM
USB Flashback will work if following the process correctly.

Make sure the pen drive is

1) Freshly formatted to FAT32

2) In the correct USB slot

3)The file is renamed to M12E.CAP

Unfortunately following the exact steps above and on the ASUS site still do not work for me.

geneo
02-10-2021, 06:31 PM
Unfortunately following the exact steps above and on the ASUS site still do not work for me.

What happens? Try a different USB stick? There have been reports of some USB compatibility issues I have seen in the past.

hawkhandler
02-10-2021, 06:49 PM
What happens? Try a different USB stick? There have been reports of some USB compatibility issues I have seen in the past.

bios flashback light flashes then stays solid. i wait a long time...nothing happens...i turn on the computer and clearly the BIOS wasn't updated and i didn't interrupt it either.

i will try another usb stick but i'll have to go get one...damn

Braegnok
02-11-2021, 02:33 AM
bios flashback light flashes then stays solid. i wait a long time...nothing happens...i turn on the computer and clearly the BIOS wasn't updated and i didn't interrupt it either.

i will try another usb stick but i'll have to go get one...damn

Try loading Default Settings in your BIOS before running Flashback Tool.

I tried several flash drives, and settings and don't remember if I was in Default Settings when it worked.

Braegnok
02-11-2021, 02:43 AM
Windows IME driver doesn't matter with flashback. BIOS flashback doesn't use the current BIOS or Windows at all. It is a small independent firmware program that understands FAT32 USB and how to flash the BIOS firmware file, that's it. It must have been something else that was preventing you from flashing.

Thanks geneo, was thinking perhaps the IME version release dates could be issue. I haven't used the Flashback tool in years,.. seeing this post thought I would give it a go.

After trying several failed attempts following instructions, I started adding/changing steps, not sure which step was the magic one,.. lol

hawkhandler
02-11-2021, 02:50 AM
Try loading Default Settings in your BIOS before running Flashback Tool, could save you a trip to the store.

I tried several flash drives, and settings and don't remember if I was in Default Settings when it worked, but it's worth a try before buying a new drive.

Tried with default settings first. Didn't work. I'll get a new stick tomorrow.

Braegnok
02-21-2021, 01:04 PM
Tried with default settings first. Didn't work. I'll get a new stick tomorrow.

I did some more testing and it seems the USB drive type, size, and the partition table used is a factor.

Best option that worked every time first try was cheep SamData USB flash drive 8GB USB 2.0 memory stick $9.99 for a pack of three on Amazon. These drives do not have any data encryption/protection and are FAT32 factory default drive format using MSDOS (MBR) partition table, and in new condition worked first time with no issues,.. but the catch is if the drive was used and then reformatted on my Windows PC it would not work, perhaps Windows 10 defaults to GPT partition table when reformatting the USB drive, I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but I tested several reformatted drives and none of them worked. Only the new drives worked on my board.

You can restore your USB flash drive back to factory FAT32 partition table using command prompt : https://www.pendrivelinux.com/restoring-your-usb-key-partition/