PDA

View Full Version : Asus g74sx

ShiningKnights
04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi All,

First time poster.

I just bought an ASUS G74SX, however it is having the well known touchpad issues where the pointer behaves erratically while typing, making it very difficult to type. A couple of people have already mentioned this is a confirmed hardware touchpad/keypad issue.

I was thinking about RMAing this back to ASUS in Fremont, but I heard horror stories (just do a Google search) about hardware not getting fixed. If it was just 1 or 2 complaints then W/E, but there's many pages of people complaining.

Has anybody RMA'd their laptop to ASUS for this issue?

randemness
04-03-2012, 02:59 AM
I may have experienced a similar issue. I tried changing the cursor reactivation time to 2 secs (changed this under the touchpad device settings). This would give me enough time during typing pauses for the cursor not to jump around. I ultimately plugged in a mouse and disabled the touchpad. No more cursor issue.

dstrakele
04-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Erratic touchpad cursor behavior while typing is not necessarily a hardware issue. The palms often contact the larger touchpad surface when typing, causing unwanted cursor movement and selections. If you have a Sentelic touchpad, you can try increasing the touchpad reactivation time in the version 9.1.3.5 driver(as recommended by @randemness), or install the Sentelic 9.1.7.7 driver that has a smaller, configurable touchpad reactivation area area. This is called ASUS SmartSense in the 9.1.7.7 configuration dialog.

The 9.1.7.7 driver also resolves an unwanted touchpad reactivation issue when configured to disable on detection of a USB mouse.

BrodyBoy
04-03-2012, 06:24 AM
@ShiningKnights:

If you try all the solutions and you're certain you've got a defective touchpad, I wouldn't bother RMA'ing it to Asus. You said that you just bought it, so I'd suggest (again...after eliminating software causes) that you simply return that unit to your retailer and get a different one. If you pursue warranty repair, you are essentially agreeing to take ownership of that machine's defects, and getting them fixed becomes your headache. You shouldn't have to do that with a brand new computer.