empleat
03-02-2021, 09:12 PM
My specs:
i5 9600kf
G.skill trident z 3200mhz cl 16, 2x8GB
GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC - 8GB Vram
ASUS Z390-i gaming
RM650x

I activated Above 4G decoding in BIOS, after I read it helped with performance. However: my mouse input lag improved when moving from place A to place B - like across a screen! But when doing small adjustments, mouse feels floaty and overall laggy.

This option is meant for GPUs with more VRAM and for resizeable bar. I don't know exactly from how much GB you should turn this on. It is interesting option. But input lag is bad now!

GPU is enabled in msi by default and I have it in pci-e gen3, I have on IOAPIC 24-119 entries.

Any idea why Above 4G decoding cause weird lag?

howxcore
03-03-2021, 04:06 PM
My specs:
i5 9600kf
G.skill trident z 3200mhz cl 16, 2x8GB
GeForce RTX™ 3070 VENTUS 3X OC - 8GB Vram
ASUS Z390-i gaming
RM650x

I activated Above 4G decoding in BIOS, after I read it helped with performance. However: my mouse input lag improved when moving from place A to place B - like across a screen! But when doing small adjustments, mouse feels floaty and overall laggy.

This option is meant for GPUs with more VRAM and for resizeable bar. I don't know exactly from how much GB you should turn this on. It is interesting option. But input lag is bad now!

GPU is enabled in msi by default and I have it in pci-e gen3, I have on IOAPIC 24-119 entries.

Any idea why Above 4G decoding cause weird lag?

If you disable Above 4G decoding, does it go away?

empleat
03-04-2021, 06:18 PM
If you disable Above 4G decoding, does it go away?
Yep!

howxcore
03-04-2021, 11:35 PM
Yep!

i'd just keep that off until a proper bios update that enables resize bar support officially

empleat
03-06-2021, 11:40 PM
i'd just keep that off until a proper bios update that enables resize bar support officially
I don't even have CPU which supports resizable bar, but it also should be enabled for GPUs with large VRAM. Mine 8GB. No idea, if I should enable it. It can be combination of things. I would like to know more, but didn't find much about it.

rascal_uk
04-16-2021, 10:59 AM
I don't even have CPU which supports resizable bar, but it also should be enabled for GPUs with large VRAM. Mine 8GB. No idea, if I should enable it. It can be combination of things. I would like to know more, but didn't find much about it.

"Above 4G Decoding affects the amount of RAM allocated at a time for the processor to work with video memory. And this explains some increase in the consumption of RAM. Previously, you had to huddle in a 4GB block, while with the Above 4G, you can use the whole area.

Resizable Bar allows the graphics API to pass large blocks of memory to the graphics card. Previously, they communicated in chunks of 256 megabytes, but now you can send a lot at once and from any part of the memory."

Source: https://www.gameunion.tv/en/games/above-4g-decoding-your-bioss-dark-horse-what-it-and-should-it-be-105

cricketbones
04-19-2021, 05:03 PM
I have had it enabled with a 980 ti 8 GB with no issues. I don't notice any difference.