PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading G74SX-AH71 questions/opinions

Wolfwalker
04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Greetings everyong!! New to the forum and the owner of a new ASUS G74SX and so far I love it. I have a few questions and would like some opinions;

1--best wireless card I can upgrade with (do like the intel 6230 cuz of the blue tooth, but....

killer bigfoot 1103

2--how do i check my bios version? thinking I should upgrade/flash

3--my laptop came without a bluray and want to upgrade that...best one, most reliable. Here is what I was thinking

Sony BD5750H-01 12.7MM Slim Blu-Ray Tray Wirter SATA

Panasonic Blu-ray Burner DVDRW Drive UJ-240

LG SLIM CT10N SATA LAPTOP BLU-RAY HD DVD DVDRW DRIVE

Thanks in advance!!!

Zygomorphic
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I can answer #2. When the notebook is first powered on, wait for the ASUS logo to appear, then press the delete key a few times. IT should interrupt the Windows loading and drop you into the BIOS. On the main tab, there is a field that displays the current vbios and BIOS versions.

BrodyBoy
04-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Greetings everyong!! New to the forum and the owner of a new ASUS G74SX and so far I love it. I have a few questions and would like some opinions;

1--best wireless card I can upgrade with (do like the intel 6230 cuz of the blue tooth, but....

killer bigfoot 1103

2--how do i check my bios version? thinking I should upgrade/flash

3--my laptop came without a bluray and want to upgrade that...best one, most reliable. Here is what I was thinking

Sony BD5750H-01 12.7MM Slim Blu-Ray Tray Wirter SATA

Panasonic Blu-ray Burner DVDRW Drive UJ-240

LG SLIM CT10N SATA LAPTOP BLU-RAY HD DVD DVDRW DRIVE

Thanks in advance!!!

I prefer to stay with Intel cards, as I believe their driver support is better. The crappy OEM Atheros cards that Asus uses makes me wary of any Atheros-based solution, and I don't like having to rely on a secondary seller for drivers. (Atheros doesn't generally provide drivers.)
For a non-BT card, I like the Intel 6300. If I needed a BT/WLAN combo, I'd get the 6230.
START -> type "system" in the search bar -> select System Information from the pop-up Start Menu. The BIOS version/date is listed about halfway down the main page.
If you choose to update, use ONLY the EasyFlash utility, and follow the directions explicitly (especially the part about FAT-formatting the flashdrive.)
ODD drives are pretty much a commodity these days. And they're pretty cheap. So just get one that has some decent user feedback on Newegg, Amazon, etc.

Wolfwalker
04-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the help and information. Bios is 201 and will probably go with the intel 6230

Thinking the sony blu-ray

Thanks for all your help.

Just ordered my ssd drive and hoping to install it this weekend.

Wolfwalker
04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, I have bought and installed the Intel 6230, OCZ Vertex 3 IOPS 120g and MAN will never go back to HDD for o/s!!! I am just waiting for my corsair vengence to arrive and still haven't found a bluray burner...

Anyone have any ideas on what sound card is ideal for my laptop? Main concern is I use external speakers 5.1 with another sublinked. Just want to be able to hook up my speakers when I am at home.

BrodyBoy
04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Anyone have any ideas on what sound card is ideal for my laptop? Main concern is I use external speakers 5.1 with another sublinked. Just want to be able to hook up my speakers when I am at home.
Before buying an external unit, why not try digital out to your receiver/processor? If that's satisfactory, not need to add more equipment.

Wolfwalker
04-18-2012, 03:16 AM
how do I us the digital out?

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 05:12 AM
how do I us the digital out?
The headphone jack is also a mini-Toslink jack. And of course, HDMI is a digital option, if your audio system accommodates it.

Wolfwalker
04-21-2012, 02:46 PM
ok, well my speaker system has three jacks; front, center, and rear. How do I get that to work with the laptop? Do I need some special splitter?

Wolfwalker
04-21-2012, 02:53 PM
from what I can tell, my speaker system is to old (Klipsch Promedia ultra 5.1) for this to work. Unless there is some sort of adapter that I can use.

So now I guess the question is, what type of 5.1/7.1 speaker system could I use to make this work?

Wolfwalker
04-21-2012, 02:55 PM
from what I can tell, my speaker system is to old (Klipsch Promedia ultra 5.1) for this to work. Unless there is some sort of adapter that I can use.

So now I guess the question is, what type of 5.1/7.1 speaker system could I use to make this work?